2006 Honda CR125R-Restoration/build!

stevo450
Edited Date/Time 11/1/2016 6:59pm
I've always wanted to get a small two stroke-and a Honda at that! Luck came my way not long ago and I FINALLY picked up a pretty clean 125 Smile Very happy with it and LOVE riding it!

I've been drooling over various bikes and especially like Dogger315s' work... I guess that sparked my interest to do this...
I've got a LOT of ideas for this bike, I like keeping things simple, stock but very tasteful!
Stay tuned for picture overload SmileSmileSmile
|
stevo450
4/17/2016 8:14am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 8:15am
Right before I started tearing it down Smile
stevo450
4/20/2016 7:40am
Just realised I haven't updated this thread yet!!!

So here we go... A few tear down pictures Smile

It's pretty clean and 'relatively new'

stevo450
4/20/2016 7:55am
By this stage I ditched my phone and got cracking with removing the engine and the last few things.

Here is the engine tear down and I love certain tools that just make life a WHOLE lot easier!

The bad news is the case cracked from a chain snap by the previous owners and now the crack is all the way through the cases and I'm not confident a weld repair is sufficient....new case sigh....

Here goes Smile

Lost without some tools...

Little cable ties to keep the gears on the shaft until I tear them down for inspection...

Parts organised in cling film to minimilise mess and keep stuff together to save time on assembly...

More to come...
I currently have a few items on order...
I don't want to give away the finish look I'm hoping to get but here's some of the big parts I'm getting....

Gold excel rims.
PC exhaust.
New plastics ( maybe the 2015 front fender mod ) and HRC/gold Honda wing inspired graphics ).
New radiators.
Complete engine build.
BUD racing head.
Squish mod/porting/polish.
Airstriker carb with power flow 'vane'.
V-Force reeds.
Suspension gold valves.
Host of functional 'bling'....
Upgraded brakes.

I'm mostly a 'stock stuff' guy but I like to have everything looking better than new.
I have a lot of VERY cool ideas and hope they all unfold as I envision Smile

The Shop

stevo450
4/20/2016 7:57am
Currently the entire motor is in pieces, as is the frame and rest of the bike...
I'm just hanging out to my two week break coming up and I can make good headway with my project...

Exhaust arrives tomorrow!!!
imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
4/20/2016 8:45am
Looks a great bike to start with. Enjoy and keep us posted.
Markopolo400
4/20/2016 9:42am
Lucky for you I believe Honda sells case halves separately.

Nice build!
stevo450
4/20/2016 1:20pm
Lucky for you I believe Honda sells case halves separately.

Nice build!
You would be correct Smile
stevo450
4/20/2016 7:51pm
Frame is now pretty much bare... It's ready for Aqua blast plus some hand touch ups....
Just going for a natural look aluminium finish.

Look what arrived Smile nothing extra ordinary, I couldn't justify a works pipe so this one will do nicely Smile

stevo450
4/23/2016 12:52am Edited Date/Time 4/23/2016 12:56am
Ok brake lines arrived today! I got the 'carbon finish look', I don't like the look of the coloured line ( red/blue etc ) and black is boring... Lol

I also started prepping the AL surfaces before blasting. I have had superb results by cleaning up the cast lines and semi polishing the parts, it's allows the cleaning action of Aqua blasting to even out the surface giving a silky smooth appearance!
Here some 'progress pictures', this will be mirror polished and anodised as a trial:

Profiling work to 'flow' the piece-easier to polish.

A comparison picture-this is the first pass with the about 360-400 grit.

For those wondering, the sanding marks look deeper in the pictures due to the enormous colour different in the dulled alumiunium compared to the fresh aluminium....
Progress pictures coming and I'll get a shot of the brake lines Smile
stevo450
4/23/2016 4:46am
Looking good! Laughing
Thanks! Smile coming along nicely... Feeling like this project will be much smoother than most...
One big thing to cross off the list is graphics .... WoohooCheerfulHuh

As promised... The brake lines, which came 'rolled up' in a box ( so annoying getting the front cable straight!!!!! Pinch )

I think they'll look better once on the bike in natural sunlight... But here's the idea-I like them a LOT!

Close up Smile

4/23/2016 5:58am
So you just use sand paper and work away at the casting lines using elbow grease?

Looks good I'm going to do this! Can't wait for the update pics of linkage
stevo450
4/23/2016 7:12am
So you just use sand paper and work away at the casting lines using elbow grease? Looks good I'm going to do this! Can't wait for...
So you just use sand paper and work away at the casting lines using elbow grease?

Looks good I'm going to do this! Can't wait for the update pics of linkage
Yea basically but I do not recommend doing it by hand. If you like I can write up a step by step how to-just let me know...

Here is the piece currently-this first picture showcases the 1200 grit 'dry run' to highlight the highs and low as well at piting etc. this has only had the 180 grit ( to rough but didn't have 240 or 360 ) then 1200 dry. I'll still have 240-360-400-wet600-wet800-wet1200-wet1500-1800/2000... To go before I get the metal polish on but it'll end up looking like chrome!

stevo450
4/23/2016 7:19am
These are far from done-I need more supplies as I didn't intend on start these so soon lol

Anyways drooling over some parts...
Ti footpegs eh?
WoohooWoohooWoohooWoohooWoohoo

stevo450
4/23/2016 8:13pm
Not much today, my suspension guy is really busy... So I opted to help him out and strip down the shock, nothing exciting, then I'll get the shock body in for anodising.

stevo450
4/23/2016 8:15pm
Also finished prepping the linkage and other bits for blasting... Just got the cases left with need to be degreased first...

4/24/2016 8:32am
Polish the crap out of your shock body before you anodize it and it will turn out like this

Slosh 112
4/24/2016 6:43pm
Ive had good results with my anodising on parts I've cleaned up, Mine was about 10x worse than yours thanks to old mate waving a garden hose in the bikes general direction after riding it on the beach.

One thing I can recommend you doing if you want to do a nice job on the bike is send all of your hardware like the OEM style nuts, bolts, steel brackets and plates, clamps or anything else steel off for re plating. My guy Rick in Brisbane does top quality work, and works out to be about a dollar a part, way cheaper than buying new bolts.

Before.

After.

stevo450
4/24/2016 6:52pm
Slosh 112 wrote:
Ive had good results with my anodising on parts I've cleaned up, Mine was about 10x worse than yours thanks to old mate waving a garden...
Ive had good results with my anodising on parts I've cleaned up, Mine was about 10x worse than yours thanks to old mate waving a garden hose in the bikes general direction after riding it on the beach.

One thing I can recommend you doing if you want to do a nice job on the bike is send all of your hardware like the OEM style nuts, bolts, steel brackets and plates, clamps or anything else steel off for re plating. My guy Rick in Brisbane does top quality work, and works out to be about a dollar a part, way cheaper than buying new bolts.

Before.

After.

I wonder if the hard ano 'covers up' the porous cast alumiunium problems?
Looks good though...I think I'll give it a shot Smile once they've been Aqua blasted I'll decide what parts I'll send off to AGrade.

As for zinc plating, I have done that before however I am now weary of hydrogen embrittlement from the electroplating process. I have seen foot peg bolt snap because of high embrittlement. I need to find a decent shop that can bake the parts to diffuse the hydrogen... I'm definitely keen to get it all done although there is as the temptation to go the Ti route WoohooWoohooWoohooWoohooWoohoo
stevo450
4/24/2016 6:54pm
Btw... Since this is my retro-modern bike I'm think of the 'gold' plating instead of the zinc...
stevo450
4/24/2016 9:30pm
Polish the crap out of your shock body before you anodize it and it will turn out like this [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/04/24/132886/s1200_Screenshot_2016_04_10_15_20_20.jpg[/img]
Polish the crap out of your shock body before you anodize it and it will turn out like this

Is that a shock you did?? I love the colour!!! That colour is exactly what I want my fork outer tubes and shock body to look like!!
4/25/2016 11:54am
Polish the crap out of your shock body before you anodize it and it will turn out like this [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/04/24/132886/s1200_Screenshot_2016_04_10_15_20_20.jpg[/img]

stevo450 wrote:
Is that a shock you did?? I love the colour!!! That colour is exactly what I want my fork outer tubes and shock body to look...
Is that a shock you did?? I love the colour!!! That colour is exactly what I want my fork outer tubes and shock body to look like!!
Yea It's my shock lol. Polished heck out of shock body before got it anodized. Dlc shock shaft. Re valved. Piston bushing conversion and a nitro chamber expansion cap
Slosh 112
4/25/2016 12:37pm
stevo450 wrote:
I wonder if the hard ano 'covers up' the porous cast alumiunium problems? Looks good though...I think I'll give it a shot :) once they've been...
Looks good though...I think I'll give it a shot Smile once they've been Aqua blasted I'll decide what parts I'll send off to AGrade.

As for zinc plating, I have done that before however I am now weary of hydrogen embrittlement from the electroplating process. I have seen foot peg bolt snap because of high embrittlement. I need to find a decent shop that can bake the parts to diffuse the hydrogen... I'm definitely keen to get it all done although there is as the temptation to go the Ti route WoohooWoohooWoohooWoohooWoohoo
What problems with the castings are you referring to? of course anodising is only as good as the material underneath it, works best on high grade billet that is more dense.

I was not aware of the embrittlement problem but I've got new OEM footage pins anyway haha.
wsc96
Fantasy
451st
4/25/2016 10:27pm
stevo450 wrote:
Thanks! :) coming along nicely... Feeling like this project will be much smoother than most... One big thing to cross off the list is graphics...
Thanks! Smile coming along nicely... Feeling like this project will be much smoother than most...

As promised... The brake lines, which came 'rolled up' in a box ( so annoying getting the front cable straight!!!!! Pinch )

I think they'll look better once on the bike in natural sunlight... But here's the idea-I like them a LOT!

Close up Smile

Where did you get the brake lines from? Looking to do the same on my CR and noticed you're in Aus also.
stevo450
4/25/2016 11:37pm
stevo450 wrote:
I wonder if the hard ano 'covers up' the porous cast alumiunium problems? Looks good though...I think I'll give it a shot :) once they've been...

Slosh 112 wrote:
What problems with the castings are you referring to? of course anodising is only as good as the material underneath it, works best on high grade...
What problems with the castings are you referring to? of course anodising is only as good as the material underneath it, works best on high grade billet that is more dense.

I was not aware of the embrittlement problem but I've got new OEM footage pins anyway haha.
Well cast aluminium isn't the best for anodising because it is porous... Like you said it's the grade of aluminium that determines the overall colour/uniform etc

Hydrogen embrittlement affects anything electroplated. With that said you may not have an issue with low tensile stuff but the large surface area of threads can be greatly affected and weaken the material.
I just take precaution and would like to get them 'heat treated' again...
stevo450
4/25/2016 11:39pm
Cool Project!!!!!!

Don't forget to do a 144cc Kit!!!
Thanks Smile should be a little ripper once done!!! Really excited to see this one come together... As for the 144 kit I think I'm keeping this one 'stock' would be awesome but I'm hoping to keep this in the 125 class Wink
stevo450
4/25/2016 11:41pm Edited Date/Time 4/25/2016 11:42pm
stevo450 wrote:
Thanks! :) coming along nicely... Feeling like this project will be much smoother than most... One big thing to cross off the list is graphics...

Close up Smile

wsc96 wrote:
Where did you get the brake lines from? Looking to do the same on my CR and noticed you're in Aus also.
I ordered these through Performance Moto, but you can find these on the Hel ( mane of the company that makes the lines ) website.... Pretty sure you can order direct from them! Smile
Glad you like them ..

Post a reply to: 2006 Honda CR125R-Restoration/build!

The Latest