2006 CRF250R hard start, possibly electrical?

redrider_714
Fantasy
2268th
Edited Date/Time 3/29/2016 7:25am
Ok to start off I have a 2006 CRF250R that is hard to start, shocking I know. It started and ran perfect in October when I parked it for the winter. I drained the gas from the tank and carb since it would be sitting all winter. I went through everything to get it ready to ride and it won't start. Gas is brand new, valves are shimmed to factory spec, new spark plug, cleaned the jets and put a new air filter on it. Like I said it won't even try to fire up. The carb is getting gas as I verified that and I tried to start it with the air filter on and off. It appreared to have spark and the timing is correct. Could it be possible that something is amiss in the spark plug circuit? Loose/broken wire? Bad boot? Kinda stumped on this one, any help is appreciated. Thanks.
|
3/28/2016 2:05am
Appeared to have spark?

Either it has a nice bright blue spark. A weak yellow\red spark. Or no spark at all. You need to check the spark again, then let us know what you find.
redrider_714
Fantasy
2268th
3/28/2016 7:57am
Appeared to have spark? Either it has a nice bright blue spark. A weak yellow\red spark. Or no spark at all. You need to check the...
Appeared to have spark?

Either it has a nice bright blue spark. A weak yellow\red spark. Or no spark at all. You need to check the spark again, then let us know what you find.
It had spark when I pulled it out and kicked the bike over. It was very big or bright, as far as color I can't recall. I will check in the morning when I get home from work and can tear into it again. Any suggestions on where to start based on which color it is? Thanks again.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
3/28/2016 8:37am
I know you say you cleaned the jets but the most likely culprit is gas varnish/gunk clogging something in the carb. Best bet is to remove the entire carb and blast out the pilot jet, fuel screw circuit, and accelerator pump and leak jet circuits.

Try bump starting the bike down a decent sized hill with the choke on and throttle open. If it coughs, tries to fire, or fires up that tells you something in the slow circuits is not allowing it to get gas for a normal kick start.
3/28/2016 2:20pm
Pull the airbox and squirt a little fuel into the carb. Then see if it fires. If it does, you know its a fuel issue.
Also, color is a bad way to judge power output in an ignition system. An adjustable gap tester is the best way to go.

The Shop

Stooperbike
3/29/2016 7:25am
Just a thought, but those motors can be tricky when it come to aligning the cam back up. I ran into this a while ago the first time I adjusted valves. The cam chain was one tooth off yet looked ok, maybe its worth double checking.

Post a reply to: 2006 CRF250R hard start, possibly electrical?

The Latest