2005 crf450 Popping?...

woolster72
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 10:22pm
Hi, i was just wondering if anyone could give me some information on why my crf450, run like it does.

If you give it constant throttle, it will crackle and pop, some times backfire.
I was just wondering what this issue is or could it be fuel air ratio?.
Thanks Alex...
|
Tiki
Fantasy
1695th
6/8/2009 3:34pm
Do you have an aftermarket air screw? Is it still where it should be? Check its position to make sure it hasnt vibrated from where it is supposed to be. Valve Adjustment time? How is it on starting?
6/8/2009 3:57pm
Exhaust leak perhaps?
Schenk829
6/8/2009 6:46pm
did you take the carb off? check around the intake to see if you have any leaks. Or like 123 said check for exhaust leaks. It shouldn't just "all the sudden do that"
woolster72
6/9/2009 2:03am
okay..., I am quiet new at this..., what side is the air screw on?, on the carb?.... Valve's were shimmed approx 2 Months ago and De-comp was playing up so i got that fixed..., has only had 20 hours use Max on New valves., exhaust leaking where?, their are 2 loose pop-rivets on the end cap of the exhaust?.

Since taking the bike home giving it a good clean after racing, the bike hasnt been able to start, after the Crackling/Popping noises.
I made sure no water go to the air filter Etc, and used an exhaust plug.
Thanks guys for any help!!!!!!!!!! Muchly Appreciated. =)
Alex

The Shop

rallendude
6/9/2009 6:43am
Check the bolts that hold the head pipe to the engine. Make sure they're good and tight. Also, where the header meets the mid-pipe check there for leaks, make sure the clamp (if there is one) is tight. Stock exhausts need a clamp there for sealing. Most aftermarket exhausts don't use a clamp there. Also, be sure the sealing packing is in there if it's a stock system.

Check where the exhaust can meets the mid-pipe for looseness or cracks. Oh yeah, check the header for cracks as well. Check the spark plug and see that it's tight.

Turn the gas off, pull the 17mm plug out of the bottom of the carb and drain any gas/water. Turn the gas on for just a second and let fresh gas drain out then reinstall the plug.

Is the gas old? The fuel screw is in the bottom of the carb up in the front of the float bowl. It's a tiny slotted screw if it's stock. Get a little screw driver and turn that thing in until it stops. Then turn it out about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 turns. If it's cold out you might have to go slightly farther.
davis224
Fantasy
138th
6/9/2009 7:59pm
well, yes, it's an air/fuel ratio problem, but there are dozens of different ways that it could be affected. How long has the bike sat? Bad/old gas will cause that along with a dirty carb, an exhaust leak like already mentioned, any vent hoses not hooked up, air filter not sealing right, carb boots loose/not fitting properly/ or torn... exactly what led up to it popping? All of a sudden? Right after you worked on something? The more details, the easier it is to pinpoint the problem.
6/11/2009 12:01pm
i didn't read it all but on my 05crf450 i re-shimmed it in April 5 rides later it was popping then wouldn't start again. I totaled my truck last weekend so i haven't been able to dig into it, but it is showing the same characteristics as before when the valves tightened, i have been told a total valve redo is the answer.............
6/11/2009 1:36pm
Four stroke? Yes? Problem solved.
woolster72
6/11/2009 4:54pm
123 wrote:
Hah yeah well, Just Gotta love em!, stilled not fix....., I'm thinking it is the Valves =( AGAIN
woolster72
6/11/2009 4:56pm
i didn't read it all but on my 05crf450 i re-shimmed it in April 5 rides later it was popping then wouldn't start again. I totaled...
i didn't read it all but on my 05crf450 i re-shimmed it in April 5 rides later it was popping then wouldn't start again. I totaled my truck last weekend so i haven't been able to dig into it, but it is showing the same characteristics as before when the valves tightened, i have been told a total valve redo is the answer.............
aaah, Well that's not what I wanted to hear, But yes I did think that...
I shall Book my bike into My local Shop and Get the bad News confirmed!,I'll let you know.
Bad Luck with your truck man Hope you get some better luck...
6/11/2009 7:54pm
i didn't read it all but on my 05crf450 i re-shimmed it in April 5 rides later it was popping then wouldn't start again. I totaled...
woolster72 wrote:
aaah, Well that's not what I wanted to hear, But yes I did think that... I shall Book my bike into My local Shop and Get...
aaah, Well that's not what I wanted to hear, But yes I did think that...
I shall Book my bike into My local Shop and Get the bad News confirmed!,I'll let you know.
Bad Luck with your truck man Hope you get some better luck...
lol thanks and lately ive been full of luck, just all bad though. Id have it finished and ready to ride right now but getting to work is a higher priority, but one of my buddies was telling me you can shim it again but it will only last a couple rides, when he finally got his valves all redone he said he rode it for another year without a problem, it was a crf250 though.
Tiki
Fantasy
1695th
6/11/2009 8:30pm
Valve issues are possible, did the valves get adjusted any time recently? Valves shimmed too much could do this. The same as an exhaust leak. Is the air screw in the bottom of the carb?
woolster72
6/25/2009 12:00am
Yep It's the valves...., They need to be totally revamped.., and also their may be something wrong with the Auto De-comp, Again..., Their is really low compression, and you can kick the bike over with your pinky finger....... =) Hmmph, here come's some $$$
Tiki
Fantasy
1695th
6/25/2009 12:35am
If you do it right, you wont have to do it for a long time. Being in Australia I wouldn't know where to direct you. Here in the states I sent my head to RHC and I am pushing over a year of moto, trails and general play riding on my valves with no issues much less a need for adjustment.

Ferrea valves, hardened seats, no problems
http://www.ferrea.com/Wc5766baa88f4a.htm

Low compression: Have you pulled the tank and inspected the motor? The auto decompression is on the cam, it works on the principal of the cam spinning. I wouldn't think that is the issue. Pull the bike apart and I am sure you will find the issue. Check the carb while you are there. Make sure everything is still where it should be.
CR500Rider
6/25/2009 1:40am
123 wrote:
From what I see at the track it's normal.
rallendude
6/25/2009 6:59am
The low compression is because of the valves. When the valves wear and all the backlash is lost the valves hang open releiving the compression just like the decomp is on.
woolster72
7/6/2009 10:55pm
ALL, is confirmed, as I took it too the shop this morning.. =(, Needs new piston and rings and new valves..., $1500 too fix.............................. =(
rallendude
7/7/2009 1:40pm
You're getting hosed.

parts should be under $400. I've routinely done that job for others for under $600.
woolster72
7/8/2009 4:34am
rallendude wrote:
You're getting hosed.

parts should be under $400. I've routinely done that job for others for under $600.
Yeah needs new valves,piston,rings,gaskets,work done to the head,( port) and the price is now $1100 Australian but I'm hoping it won't need anymore work done, and will be ready for my next race,in august... But thanks heaps Wink muchly appreciated

Post a reply to: 2005 crf450 Popping?...

The Latest