2005 Cr 250 build **complete**

Edited Date/Time 9/12/2017 7:05pm
Hey legends this will be my bike build! I just picked up a 2005 Cr 250 here in Aus for a pretty reasonable price. I bought the bike to tear down and clean up to ride. Looks like it hasnt been cleaned properly in years but nothing that I can't renew. Bloke I bought it off isn't the original owner but only rode it a handful of times before blowing his knee out. What's everyone's thoughts / theory's on working out estimated hours? Bike is basically completely stock other then a few random bolts and shitty Chinese radiator on one side. Things that I personally look for are obvious wearing on the clutch / ignition covers, shock body ect.. And on this particular bike the wear on the "Honda" logo on the seat
Here are some photos please let me know what you think

|
9/11/2016 6:50pm
First thing i would do is give that thing a good power washing
9/11/2016 11:25pm
Kx125rider wrote:
First thing i would do is give that thing a good power washing
unfortunately this photo was taken right after degrease / pressure wash I've got a lot of cleaning to do
arvid
9/12/2016 1:41am
i'm guessing 50 hours
r.sal923
9/12/2016 2:17pm
I always gets me when people sell dirty things(cars,trucks,bikes,quads) if you take the time and clean it up you can usually get more money. Or a the least a quick sale. That bike is a 50-60 hr bike by the looks of the boot marks on cases

The Shop

imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
9/12/2016 6:40pm

I find it hard to guesstamate based off wear marks on the body. Me personally, I ride with my legs and I will mark up a bike quick. I know a kid that is a fast rider and just moved off a mini to 150 that rags out his plastics/graphics super fast. He is all over the bike being little and it just shocks me each time what his bike will look like after a long day at the practice track burning long motos.

Usually but not always, the quicker the rider the quicker the bike will start looking ratty.

Congrats on the new bike, I love my 06!
CamP
9/12/2016 8:18pm
Looks like it was left outside near the beach. My guess is 50-100 hours.

Find someone that does vapor blasting if you want to make it look good again.
9/12/2016 8:50pm
imoto34 wrote:
I find it hard to guesstamate based off wear marks on the body. Me personally, I ride with my legs and I will mark up a...

I find it hard to guesstamate based off wear marks on the body. Me personally, I ride with my legs and I will mark up a bike quick. I know a kid that is a fast rider and just moved off a mini to 150 that rags out his plastics/graphics super fast. He is all over the bike being little and it just shocks me each time what his bike will look like after a long day at the practice track burning long motos.

Usually but not always, the quicker the rider the quicker the bike will start looking ratty.

Congrats on the new bike, I love my 06!
Yeah thanks mate sort of feedback I'm chasing
9/12/2016 8:52pm
Soda blaster would make that thing look so much better.
Yeah I plan on it mate I do a little macgyver soda blasting in my back yard
I might even post some photos of when I'm done cheers
9/12/2016 8:54pm
r.sal923 wrote:
I always gets me when people sell dirty things(cars,trucks,bikes,quads) if you take the time and clean it up you can usually get more money. Or a...
I always gets me when people sell dirty things(cars,trucks,bikes,quads) if you take the time and clean it up you can usually get more money. Or a the least a quick sale. That bike is a 50-60 hr bike by the looks of the boot marks on cases
Yeah it's pretty disappointing really
But I guess for us it's great to find cheap dungas put a little work in and reap the rewards!
9/12/2016 8:55pm
CamP wrote:
Looks like it was left outside near the beach. My guess is 50-100 hours. Find someone that does vapor blasting if you want to make it...
Looks like it was left outside near the beach. My guess is 50-100 hours.

Find someone that does vapor blasting if you want to make it look good again.
Vapour blasting is the shit
Unfortunatly their isn't anyone local around my area who does it
9/15/2016 8:29pm Edited Date/Time 11/14/2016 4:21pm
Might just turn this into a little build thread I was going to to post a few photos of when I'd finished but thought it might be fun to post photos and comments along the way.

Tore the big girl apart in a few hours no real trouble or anything out of the ordinary other then the steering stem nut being finger tight.

The plan is just a simple clean up with a few bolt on mods and replacing fucked bolts ect.

Motor is in pretty ruff shape

Frame also pretty ruff, no damage just filthy. I had done a little diy soda blasting before so had a crack at the frame with this dodgy set up in the yard haha.

Come up pretty good just wanted to attack the hard to get areas with the soda blasting, still a long way to go. I'm not a big fan of the polished mirror look, try get it looking like it did when she rolled out the factory.

I also have a little bead blasting cabinet in the shed. Here are the motor hangers pretty stoked on these just blasted them and a quick scotch bright

That's it for now anyways till I come home from work. Hope you enjoy and come along for the journey yeeew.
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
9/16/2016 12:33pm
That looks like a different frame, nice!
stevo450
9/17/2016 8:50am
Looks good mate!! If you fancy some real good finishing on the aluminium stuff you should look at Aqua blast!

What plans do you have for the bike?
9/17/2016 12:20pm
Yeah mate I was under the impression that their wasn't anyone around Mackay that does it
Apparently their is so I might get a quote to get some stuff done carb, hubs, calipers ect.
Yeah man just bolt on mods exhaust some new reeds ect. Will most likely send the suspension away as well. Motor is pretty sound just been rebuilt so I'll leave it for now. All depends on the coin I'm willing to dump into her as well haha.
mr765
9/20/2016 10:37am
Look at the sight window on the rear brake master. If it's ridden a lot it will be rough and hard to see through, if it's still clean and clear chances are it's a low hour bike. Case covers and plastic are an easy change but everyone forgets about that little sight window
9/20/2016 4:24pm
What's your soda blasting setup? Interested to do some myself.
9/20/2016 5:31pm Edited Date/Time 9/20/2016 5:32pm
Spuder155 wrote:
Hey mate it's pretty basic I just use a gun similar to this

Got it for about $20 from the local auto store, tryed to bulk buy some baking soda but couldn't find any so I used 6 packets from the grocery store gave me like 3kgs of soda for like $10. I used a tent in the back yard so once I run out of my bucket I could sweep back up and reuse. Regulate the pressure to about 90-100 psi, my compressor is pretty old so i can blast for about 2-3 mins before I need to let it pressurize again. Works fantastic just a long and slow process! Hope that helps
9/20/2016 5:38pm Edited Date/Time 9/20/2016 5:39pm
mr765 wrote:
Look at the sight window on the rear brake master. If it's ridden a lot it will be rough and hard to see through, if it's...
Look at the sight window on the rear brake master. If it's ridden a lot it will be rough and hard to see through, if it's still clean and clear chances are it's a low hour bike. Case covers and plastic are an easy change but everyone forgets about that little sight window
Hey cheers mate yeah just had a look it's pretty clear.
After stripping the bike i can sorta tell she has pretty low hours now thanks
stevo450
9/20/2016 9:11pm
Spuder155 wrote:
Hey mate it's pretty basic I just use a gun similar to this [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/09/20/152676/s1200_IMG_0478.jpg[/img] Got it for about $20 from the local auto store, tryed to...

Got it for about $20 from the local auto store, tryed to bulk buy some baking soda but couldn't find any so I used 6 packets from the grocery store gave me like 3kgs of soda for like $10. I used a tent in the back yard so once I run out of my bucket I could sweep back up and reuse. Regulate the pressure to about 90-100 psi, my compressor is pretty old so i can blast for about 2-3 mins before I need to let it pressurize again. Works fantastic just a long and slow process! Hope that helps
That works really well considering it's a 'back yard' budget rig!
I bet even a cheap as tent/gun/soda would be fairly reasonable.... I like the tent idea to contain the dust...smart idea!

Do you literally sit in the tent and blast away?
9/20/2016 10:02pm
stevo450 wrote:
That works really well considering it's a 'back yard' budget rig! I bet even a cheap as tent/gun/soda would be fairly reasonable.... I like the tent...
That works really well considering it's a 'back yard' budget rig!
I bet even a cheap as tent/gun/soda would be fairly reasonable.... I like the tent idea to contain the dust...smart idea!

Do you literally sit in the tent and blast away?
Yeah mate worked really well. Soda is by far the best media to use in my opinion and yeah pretty much just tucked myself away in the tent for a while haha. I set up an industrial fan out side to help with ventilation because as you could imagine the tent got pretty dusty.
9/21/2016 12:25am
Spuder155 wrote:
Hey mate it's pretty basic I just use a gun similar to this [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/09/20/152676/s1200_IMG_0478.jpg[/img] Got it for about $20 from the local auto store, tryed to...

Yeah cheers man
9/21/2016 5:45am
Spuder155 wrote:

Spuder155 wrote:
Yeah cheers man
What auto shop was it mate?
10/13/2016 3:04pm Edited Date/Time 11/14/2016 4:22pm
Hey legends been a little while, still cleaning away
Got the calipers/brake components all cleaned up pretty stoked on them they where in bad shape

I've gathered majority of the hardware in preparation for zinc coating
Anyone with experience know the best prep before sending them away?
I had a chat to old mate on the phone who said they degrease and clean them obviously before the process starts but wondering if wire brushing or blasting the pieces before getting the coating would be the go?

Parts parts parts, guess you could say I'm on a budget but more then anything I'm bit of a tight arse so parts will be ordered few and far between but on the list so far to get things rolling

Swing arm / linkage bearing
Front / rear wheel bearings
Black tusk spokes wrapped with black excel rims
Mika metals bars and sprockets ect
New pc full system
New brake lines through out
Probably change my mind million times by the end so bare with me haha

Finished the frame and swing arm up anyways pretty happy with it
Soda blasted the hard to get areas and used a soft carbon wire wheel to help speed up the process

Hopefully get stuck into the motor next days off it's gonna be a mission

Cheers
stevo450
10/14/2016 4:04pm
I like the finish on the frame!

As for the zinc, I just get rid of the majority of the grease ( usually I just wipe the excess grease off ) and send the hardware out for plating. If any surfaces are pitted/visually dulled then then the plating will highlight these areas.
For the best visiual results I suggest polishing the high visual parts before sending out....
10/14/2016 5:26pm
stevo450 wrote:
I like the finish on the frame! As for the zinc, I just get rid of the majority of the grease ( usually I just wipe...

As for the zinc, I just get rid of the majority of the grease ( usually I just wipe the excess grease off ) and send the hardware out for plating. If any surfaces are pitted/visually dulled then then the plating will highlight these areas.
For the best visiual results I suggest polishing the high visual parts before sending out....
Thanks man
Yeah mate think I'm going to wire wheel some of the larger stuff before sending it away.. I'm really excited to see the finnished product hopefully within the next month should have my shit sorted
I'm keen to see your suspension once it's rebuilt gonna look killer!
stevo450
10/14/2016 6:37pm Edited Date/Time 10/14/2016 6:38pm
stevo450 wrote:
I like the finish on the frame! As for the zinc, I just get rid of the majority of the grease ( usually I just wipe...

Thanks man Yeah mate think I'm going to wire wheel some of the larger stuff before sending it away.. I'm really excited to see the finnished...
Thanks man
Yeah mate think I'm going to wire wheel some of the larger stuff before sending it away.. I'm really excited to see the finnished product hopefully within the next month should have my shit sorted
I'm keen to see your suspension once it's rebuilt gonna look killer!
Sounds good! Wire wheel is a good idea... You'll like the results but make sure the mob that does the plating wire-hang each component.
Sometimes they use a 'bucket' and the results are as good...

I'm keen to see my suspension finished up too! All the parts are on their way from JP now!
Rowlands
10/15/2016 10:41am
Really impressed with the out come of that frame it must feel so satisfying doing it.

For the bolts get a wire wheel set up on a bench grinder, doesn't take long and removes any surface grease/rust ready for coating. How far are you going with this thing or just ''tidying it up'' ?

Post a reply to: 2005 Cr 250 build **complete**

The Latest