2004 cr85 running problem

Paw Paw 271
8/25/2014 9:24am
Check the coil. The mounts become rusty and dirty as does the plug cap connection to the plug wire. Clean them all and cut 1/4" off the plug wire after you remove the cap by unscrewing it. Then screw the cap back on and see if you have spark.
If not, then you will have to do an ohms test on the coil.
Also check the flywheel and stator for dirt and rust as well.

Paw Paw
8/25/2014 10:47am
thanks Paw Paw 271 I checked the coil mounts and cut some of the coil wire off and cleaned the connections but still no luck, i will order a flywheel puller to check the stator and flywheel.

how would i do a ohms test?

thanks
Paw Paw 271
8/25/2014 3:28pm
The service manual for your bike will cover this in detail.

Paw Paw
RyanLester761
8/27/2014 5:52am Edited Date/Time 8/27/2014 5:54am
Paw Paw, just a general question... Would you say a CDI unit is either good or bad? In this case, there is SOME spark, so we can assume a bad stator is more than likely the problem here?

I have a project 1993 YZ250 which has no spark. I will be investigating the issue soon. I don't have a service manual at this time...

Ryan

The Shop

8/27/2014 6:16am
Another place to check is the kill button, on Honda's they have been known to fail. Of course a service manual is a good thing to have.
8/27/2014 7:55am
Paw Paw, just a general question... Would you say a CDI unit is either good or bad? In this case, there is SOME spark, so we...
Paw Paw, just a general question... Would you say a CDI unit is either good or bad? In this case, there is SOME spark, so we can assume a bad stator is more than likely the problem here?

I have a project 1993 YZ250 which has no spark. I will be investigating the issue soon. I don't have a service manual at this time...

Ryan
i can speak from experience on this one. son had a ktm 65 that kept fouling plugs. everybody told me CDI box and i wouldnt belive it. i could throw in a new plug and the bike ran strong after a moto it would foul the plug. i checked searched and chased everyting cause i didnt want to spend $90 on a guess. luckily a friend had bought a back up bike that matched ours and he let me swap parts with his and that was problem.

so CDI's can be bad but still work they will just produce a weaker spark.

if you put in a new plug and it runs but wont start after a few laps or 10 then its likely CDI related.

8/27/2014 11:15am
thanks for the help guys i went to a shop to ask about the problem and they told me its the stator. im taking the stator to the shop to be rewound. if that dosent work ill try the cdi unit.
RyanLester761
8/27/2014 12:29pm
WolfRacer wrote:
thanks for the help guys i went to a shop to ask about the problem and they told me its the stator. im taking the stator...
thanks for the help guys i went to a shop to ask about the problem and they told me its the stator. im taking the stator to the shop to be rewound. if that dosent work ill try the cdi unit.
Let me know who is rewinding the stator. I need one done on my 01 CR125. I replaced it with an aftermarket one but that bike had sputtering problems and now won't start. I'm thinking the aftermarket stator is bad already. (about 5 rides total.)
MOTODAD422
8/27/2014 2:13pm
We get many bikes with weak and or no spark,from your experience it could be either one,or the pulse coil. Find your specs, and even if it tests within parameters, leave it hooked up and put a hair dryer to it.Sometimes they test good when cold, but fail when heat is present. Like X-Wrench said, don't rule out the kill switch.
8/27/2014 2:22pm
Ryanlester761 I'll find out and let you know

Thanks motodad422 I'll give it a go
8/29/2014 1:33pm
My stator is being sent to west country windings
Ryanlester761

Post a reply to: 2004 cr85 running problem

The Latest