2004 YZ250 Build

Kenny Boy
Edited Date/Time 12/5/2015 2:41pm
Before

I need some idea's, was thinking SSS forks but I heard they are not that good for trail riding. I would consider swapping to an aluminum frame if I can get it cheap. I plan on tearing it down maybe have the frame powder coated if I don't swap to aluminum, idk what to do with it lol, I really like the way the new bike looks but don't think it looks right with a steel frame. If you had it what would you do with it?

This build is going to take a while I don't want to rush it... but plan to be riding next spring. Please speak your thoughts, post pic's whatever, just give me some ideas.
|
slackinoff
11/8/2015 4:06am Edited Date/Time 11/8/2015 4:11am
First off. Love the bike!! Congratulations Kenny Boy!!!

I agree, the new 2016 plastic kit doesn't look right to me on the steel frame bikes. (your front fender does look great though!) Maybe if I saw an old steel frame done right in newer plastic kit....but ya know.....that's secondary stuff anyway.

Spend some money on other things that help you get comfy with the bike.

I had the 04 YZ forks too (48mm open bath in case you dint know, it's a one year special from Yamaha vs the 46mm open bath forks they had forever on the oler yz bikes 125 and 250)

I thought the 48mm open bath forks would be perfect for off road..... if setup/revalved.
My opinion is, no need to spend the money on SSS forks for off road riding right now. Try getting the 2004 forks and the shock set up of you, and your riding terrain. Craig Decker at Enzo Racing always treated me nice and charged a good p=p Hes nice in email or on the phone.

Here is a list of stuff I would go over on an older/or new to me bike.

Airfilter
Tires,
Spoke tension,
Rim
Chain
Chain sliders,
Sprockets,
front and rear wheel bearings
suspension bearings
Brake pads
Fork seals, bushings, and oil. (if you send them off for a re valve/respring they will do it....yay! )
Brake fluid replacement

R.M
11/8/2015 2:29pm
If it were me......

Cycra Stadium plate (That skull is just cringe)

Full suspension revalve with new oil, seals, bushings, etc. (The whole 9 yards)

Every bushing and bearing you can find

Tires

Piston (If it lacks compression)

Chain/Sprocket

Filter

Jetting if it needs it.

The Shop

Kenny Boy
11/8/2015 5:57pm
the number plate was on it when I got it, I have had a lot of people mention they like it though. I put the front fender on, it's from a 2010 yz250f I believe. I had to drill on it to make it work. I don't know if you guys seen my other thread, but it needs the top end rebuilt/ replate. I was in a hurry yesterday and didn't think to check the crank/rod bearings I hope they are good. Debating on trying to fix the cylinder or buy a brand new one.
Kenny Boy
11/8/2015 8:00pm Edited Date/Time 11/8/2015 8:04pm
My main complaint (only really) with the bike right now is the front brake, it sucks. I was thinking of getting light speed updated fork guards, route the line cr style, and try cr pads. should I buy a line for a newer Yamaha/Honda? what model? and would I need to buy a guide or anything for the new guards?
mb
11/8/2015 8:26pm
LightSpeed guards. OEM CR cable, '04 CR125 clamp, Honda pads, CR master '97-07 is cheapest way to get great breaking and an updated look.

Cable routing has no effect on braking performance by the way.

Kenny Boy
11/8/2015 8:34pm Edited Date/Time 11/8/2015 8:38pm
mb wrote:
LightSpeed guards. OEM CR cable, '04 CR125 clamp, Honda pads, CR master '97-07 is cheapest way to get great breaking and an updated look. Cable routing...
LightSpeed guards. OEM CR cable, '04 CR125 clamp, Honda pads, CR master '97-07 is cheapest way to get great breaking and an updated look.

thanks for the pic, and info. If nothing else Its looks a lot cleaner.
WileCyot
11/9/2015 4:53am
If you need any parts for this bike let me know. I have dealer pricing and can beat out just about anyone. I'm looking to help the community out and save you guys some money.
Kenny Boy
11/9/2015 5:33am
WileCyot wrote:
If you need any parts for this bike let me know. I have dealer pricing and can beat out just about anyone. I'm looking to help...
If you need any parts for this bike let me know. I have dealer pricing and can beat out just about anyone. I'm looking to help the community out and save you guys some money.
How much for a new cylinder?
WileCyot
11/9/2015 5:37am Edited Date/Time 11/9/2015 5:38am
WileCyot wrote:
If you need any parts for this bike let me know. I have dealer pricing and can beat out just about anyone. I'm looking to help...
Kenny Boy wrote:
How much for a new cylinder?
350 plus shipping for 5UP-11311-20-00.
Kenny Boy
11/13/2015 1:28am
right now I'm thinking of sending the crank with a pro x rod kit, my cylinder ( for replate) , and a pro x piston to Ken Oconner.... what do you think?
WileCyot
11/13/2015 5:40am
Kenny Boy wrote:
right now I'm thinking of sending the crank with a pro x rod kit, my cylinder ( for replate) , and a pro x piston to...
right now I'm thinking of sending the crank with a pro x rod kit, my cylinder ( for replate) , and a pro x piston to Ken Oconner.... what do you think?
He will do you right but he will suggest an OEM piston and rod instead and I don't blame him.
mwilcox349
Fantasy
82nd
11/13/2015 8:33am
mb wrote:
LightSpeed guards. OEM CR cable, '04 CR125 clamp, Honda pads, CR master '97-07 is cheapest way to get great breaking and an updated look. Cable routing...

What?? Cable routing has no effect on braking performance? Why would they even sell the conversion kit? Why would Honda patent it? I'm sure it has something to do braking performance even if it's just the feel.

The cheapest and easiest way to improve your braking on that bike is put a oversized front rotor on it and do a really good job bleeding your brakes.
WileCyot
11/13/2015 9:03am
mwilcox349 wrote:
What?? Cable routing has no effect on braking performance? Why would they even sell the conversion kit? Why would Honda patent it? I'm sure it has...
What?? Cable routing has no effect on braking performance? Why would they even sell the conversion kit? Why would Honda patent it? I'm sure it has something to do braking performance even if it's just the feel.

The cheapest and easiest way to improve your braking on that bike is put a oversized front rotor on it and do a really good job bleeding your brakes.
It puts the cable in a safer location out of the way in case of a rock getting thrown up. It also reduces the length of cable required which in turn reduces the amount of total cable flex when braking. It's not revolutionary by any means but it helps.... marginally.
Kenny Boy
12/3/2015 10:24pm Edited Date/Time 12/3/2015 10:25pm
mwilcox349 wrote:
What?? Cable routing has no effect on braking performance? Why would they even sell the conversion kit? Why would Honda patent it? I'm sure it has...

WileCyot wrote:
It puts the cable in a safer location out of the way in case of a rock getting thrown up. It also reduces the length of...
It puts the cable in a safer location out of the way in case of a rock getting thrown up. It also reduces the length of cable required which in turn reduces the amount of total cable flex when braking. It's not revolutionary by any means but it helps.... marginally.
so you are saying Honda put a patent on it to make they're bike safer than the competition..... lol, I don't agree. I keep reading it makes a very noticeable difference.
Kenny Boy
12/3/2015 10:30pm
Kenny Boy wrote:
right now I'm thinking of sending the crank with a pro x rod kit, my cylinder ( for replate) , and a pro x piston to...
WileCyot wrote:
He will do you right but he will suggest an OEM piston and rod instead and I don't blame him.
From what videos I seen and people i talked to he recommends Pro x rod's........ sure OEM is the way to go, but not the best way for my wallet.
Kenny Boy
12/3/2015 11:20pm Edited Date/Time 12/3/2015 11:32pm

I decided to go with a pro x piston. My plan right now is to send the crank, pro x rod rebuild kit, New pro x piston, and my cylinder to Ken Oconner. Anyone have a reason why i shouldn't?
WileCyot
12/4/2015 6:27am
Kenny Boy wrote:
WileCyot wrote:
Kenny Boy wrote:
From what videos I seen and people i talked to he recommends Pro x rod's........ sure OEM is the way to go, but not the best...
From what videos I seen and people i talked to he recommends Pro x rod's........ sure OEM is the way to go, but not the best way for my wallet.
Pro-X Rod rod for a YZ250 from 99-15 is $106.58 and an OEM Rod is $70.12 from Motosport.com. Tell me again how Pro-X is easier on the wallet? Just trying to save you some money and point you in the right direction for parts.
DTHA70
12/4/2015 2:39pm
FWIW Pro-x IS OEM for the Japanese bikes. ART forgings (OE and PRO-X) come in all of the Japanese bikes.
Kenny Boy
12/5/2015 2:41pm Edited Date/Time 12/5/2015 2:51pm
WileCyot wrote:
Kenny Boy wrote:
From what videos I seen and people i talked to he recommends Pro x rod's........ sure OEM is the way to go, but not the best...
WileCyot wrote:
Pro-X Rod rod for a YZ250 from 99-15 is $106.58 and an OEM Rod is $70.12 from Motosport.com. Tell me again how Pro-X is easier on...
Pro-X Rod rod for a YZ250 from 99-15 is $106.58 and an OEM Rod is $70.12 from Motosport.com. Tell me again how Pro-X is easier on the wallet? Just trying to save you some money and point you in the right direction for parts.
pro-x is a rod "kit" which include the big end rod bearing, pin, and thrust washers.... from what I seen the OEM bearing alone is $55... and the thrust washer like $20 a piece. and the pin is almost $30. I just looked on motosport the total cost for OEM rod rebuild parts is over $200. I can get a pro x rod "kit" for about $80.

Post a reply to: 2004 YZ250 Build

The Latest