2003 YZ250 Build - The Steely

731chopper
Fantasy
390th
8/1/2015 9:01pm
Pipe looks fantastic! Woohoo

I had to settle for a platinum plated PC pipe for my 03 KX250. Neither PC or FMF make a works style pipe for that bike anymore, sadly.
slackinoff
8/11/2015 9:26am
Thanks for the complements vital friends! I really can't wait to get the motor finished....The pipe will be the last to go on, like placing the star on a Christmas tree.

I am still waiting on my crankshaft and cylinder. I am expecting an email this week. That is all I need to finish, after that it will just be bolting everything back in place and that shouldn't take but one evening. I am getting really close!

Here are the updates,

My shock is back from the Craig at Enzo. Wow, that old shock was nasty, and missing allot of nitrogen. He sent me a baggie of old parts that had some serious stank to them. He also replaced the upper and lower bearings for me. I found a great deal on a titanium rear spring for my setup and weight. The coils are so much thicker, it's very different looking to me. I also read that the titanium springs are "livelier" than steel thus they feel different. I can't wait to try it out.

Fat titanium coils

Finishing the rear suspension, I re-greased all the bearings and replaced the seals. I checked the rollers for flat spots since the grease resembled plastic shotgun wadding. Zero flat spots on the rollers.

Curious looking old grease

Clean and regreased

Continuing with the rear end, I cleaned up the rear brake assembly and threw in new pads. I plan to do the brake fluids once the bike is finished. It would make a fun evening project with my buddies the night before a track day.

Not clean

So Fresh, So Clean

Now, I thought this might be entertaining to you guys. Some friends were cooking out Friday night and could hear some very loud vehicles doing runs. I asked who the heck is street racing. One of my buddies mentioned it was the local Great Texas Mud Race at our expo center. I just had to go.

Oh my lord. It was an incredible mesh of horsepower, lawless people, family people, and FUN!

All of the vehicles are just jaw dropping. We hung around the entry lane to where they were making their runs....I have never been that (less than 10ft) close to idling/revving several thousand horsepower v8s. The sounds and smells, it's like I was on a different planet. Then on top of that, you can stand directly behind the drag lanes and they have optional concrete barriers to duck under when roost from several k HP mud buggy comes flinging back like a wave breaking on the shore.

Here are some videos I took, please, turn up the volume and listen to the engines, and also my country friend getting completely stoked.

Mast Motorsports truck (local high performance engine shop)

Unknown pro class - They actually stand up and ride ontop of the mud.

Here is a picture of a drag truck, this one doesn't go in the mud, they have a dirt strip for these guys

Picture I took of this guys head he blew up while we were there. The promoter asked the crowd if there was an aluminum welder/machine shop that could take a look at this racers engine. My above mentioned "stoked" friend said he could look at it ( we just knew a contact, we really just wanted to meet some of the racers and see the rigs). They drove us all around in one of those Kawasaki mules, beer in hand, it was cool. The racer was from NY! I felt bad for them because they drove all that way here and that head was trashed out in their first qualifying run.

Ouch!

Also, big news, WE ARE GOING TO CRAWFORDSVILLE!! for the last race, Ironman. None of us has ever been to a national race before. I personally haven't taken a day off this whole year so I can't wait to take off Friday the 21st, fly in and soak it up. Let me know if anyone has any tips/suggestions, or wants to meet up! we are getting in pretty early Friday.

Andrew337
8/11/2015 11:08am Edited Date/Time 8/11/2015 11:09am
My dad and I went to the Ironman national last year. It was a mudder, but we had a blast. You will be driving to the track thinking you're in Texas, flat and boring. But the track is actually in a really nice hilly/wooded area that isn't like the surrounding area. If you've never been, definitely take a tour of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway while you're in the area. We got to stand on the podium, check out the press box, kiss the bricks, and words don't begin to describe what they have in the museum there.

The Shop

slackinoff
8/13/2015 6:49am
Andrew337 wrote:
My dad and I went to the Ironman national last year. It was a mudder, but we had a blast. You will be driving to the...
My dad and I went to the Ironman national last year. It was a mudder, but we had a blast. You will be driving to the track thinking you're in Texas, flat and boring. But the track is actually in a really nice hilly/wooded area that isn't like the surrounding area. If you've never been, definitely take a tour of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway while you're in the area. We got to stand on the podium, check out the press box, kiss the bricks, and words don't begin to describe what they have in the museum there.
Thanks for the tip. Because of your suggestion we are gonna spend Friday taking a tour of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway! I looked it up and it really looks cool. Thanks man
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1084th
8/13/2015 10:19am
Andrew337 wrote:
My dad and I went to the Ironman national last year. It was a mudder, but we had a blast. You will be driving to the...
slackinoff wrote:
Thanks for the tip. Because of your suggestion we are gonna spend Friday taking a tour of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway! I looked it up and...
Thanks for the tip. Because of your suggestion we are gonna spend Friday taking a tour of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway! I looked it up and it really looks cool. Thanks man
I did the tour last month. It's amazing, the size of the stands.
Bring a good camera with lots of memory, there are a bunch of amazing cars in the museum.

If you go upstairs, there are tons of old photos to look through. My wife's grandmother was in the winner's circle with Bill Vukovich in 53 or 54, we spent some time looking for pictures of her.
731chopper
Fantasy
390th
8/14/2015 7:49am
The museum at IMS is awesome so definitely make sure you go in there. It will take your breath away seeing some of those cars that use to race the 500 and reading about the speeds they got up to.
slackinoff
8/14/2015 8:24am
Thanks for all the tips on IMS fellas. We just bought the tickets for the race and only got the Saturday entry tickets. We have to wait in Indianapolis for another friend that is on a much later flight. The museum is going to be a really cool way to kill some time. I cant wait!

Also, I got the call from Ken Oconnor Racing my crankshaft and cylinder will be here Tuesday.
slackinoff
8/25/2015 7:41am
Ok new update.

I received my cylinder and crank from Ken Oconnor. He did a great job. I sent a OEM size B piston with the cylinder and the fit is much better than some other plating companies I have used. I also asked him to check the rings as well. I always ask the plater to do that, and they never do! Ken did, and he signed the box too! lol

So I immediately started the build, (so excited). Everything went smooth, except I forgot to put in the clutch arm and I torqued the flywheel on. I misplaced my puller so I am waiting on that. (cant put in the clutch arm with flywheel in place)
Other than that, its all done and will be in the bike very soon. (this weekend)

slackinoff
8/25/2015 7:43am
Ok, the Ironman race was awesome! So was the museum. We didn't get to tour the track as the a Porsche club was holding a track day, but it was really cool to watch them.

Barcia

Dungey

The Wheelie Wizzard

https://youtu.be/guy_HutGAHI

Crawfordsville was a really neat town.

Andrew337
8/25/2015 10:59am
Ken O'Connor's YouTube videos were a big help while I had my YZ250 apart, he seems to do nice work. Looks like it's almost time to mix up some gas!

I remember seeing that Indian last year at the IMS museum, trying to figure out what all those controls were for! Looks like a good weekend.
slackinoff
8/25/2015 11:03am
Andrew337 wrote:
Ken O'Connor's YouTube videos were a big help while I had my YZ250 apart, he seems to do nice work. Looks like it's almost time to...
Ken O'Connor's YouTube videos were a big help while I had my YZ250 apart, he seems to do nice work. Looks like it's almost time to mix up some gas!

I remember seeing that Indian last year at the IMS museum, trying to figure out what all those controls were for! Looks like a good weekend.
Those controls were strange. Almost like you rotated the bars up or down to throttle up or down?
Andrew337
8/25/2015 2:30pm
Andrew337 wrote:
Ken O'Connor's YouTube videos were a big help while I had my YZ250 apart, he seems to do nice work. Looks like it's almost time to...

slackinoff wrote:
Those controls were strange. Almost like you rotated the bars up or down to throttle up or down?
I don't even remember what all they had going on. But there I was, with a mechanical engineering degree, scratching my head thinking I'm not smart enough to ride that contraption. Blink
dylanv21
8/25/2015 5:33pm
How did you go about cleaning the motor and brake caliper and everything? Came out sweet, I am in the middle of a 2004 kx250 build.
slackinoff
8/25/2015 5:48pm
dylanv21 wrote:
How did you go about cleaning the motor and brake caliper and everything? Came out sweet, I am in the middle of a 2004 kx250 build.
Thanks!!

I sent the cases to Dan Vitaletti at http://www.vaporblastsolutions.com/

His prices are really reasonable, and he can also extract blind hole bearings or any other bearing for you as well.
His contact info is on his website. Shoot him an email, really nice guy.

Rear brake caliper was done with a big brass brush and hot soapy water.....it took awhile.
slackinoff
8/26/2015 9:06am Edited Date/Time 8/26/2015 9:07am
Engine is back where it belongs!
I tossed it in after work yesterday, then I got up early this morning to torque the engine and suspension bolts to spec.

Heres the short list, clutch arm install, powervalve cover bolted up, cooling system, clutch cable, carb clean and install, then the subframe and plastics.

The rear suspension feel so much better, just from bouncing the thing up and down. I am pretty excited to see how she rides....should be this weekend!
slackinoff
8/31/2015 2:47pm Edited Date/Time 8/31/2015 2:49pm
Hey Vital Friends, I put two hours on the bike this weekend. I initially was disappointed with the handling.....well come to find out the sag was was at 60mm.....how in the heck did I not notice that? Got the sag set right and the clickers back to stock settings and the bike feels good. I am totally spoiled from my SSS forks on my now sold 2014 yz250F.....so I snatched a set from ebay for a good price. Going to try and use my applied triple clamps (2004 48mm OC KYCool because I really don't feel like welding the stops on my frame. From my research I need to trim down the non brake side spacer.

Crush
8/31/2015 6:15pm
Pictures please!
slackinoff
9/1/2015 5:31am
Crush wrote:
Pictures please!
Will do Crush!! Let me get her dolled up for you guys and I will try to take some decent photos.

You will have to excuse the plastics, they are pretty rough looking.
smezmx
9/1/2015 12:04pm
Just wondered if you ran the vin as those look like gold 2004 forks?
Silver 46mm for 03
Gold 48mm for 04.

slackinoff
9/1/2015 12:21pm
Correct! They are 2004 48mm OC forks. The bike is an 2003, but for some reason the original owner put on 2004 forks....

I am going to attempt to use the SSS forks in those nice looking blue applied clamps, that way I don't have to weld the steering stops. From my research I will need to trim down the non brake side axle spacer.
smezmx
9/1/2015 12:28pm
slackinoff wrote:
Correct! They are 2004 48mm OC forks. The bike is an 2003, but for some reason the original owner put on 2004 forks.... I am going...
Correct! They are 2004 48mm OC forks. The bike is an 2003, but for some reason the original owner put on 2004 forks....

I am going to attempt to use the SSS forks in those nice looking blue applied clamps, that way I don't have to weld the steering stops. From my research I will need to trim down the non brake side axle spacer.
Cool.should you get stuck on anything,the yamaha two stroke section on thumpertalk is a good place to ask.like the way those engine cases turned out btw.clean.
Crush
9/1/2015 5:06pm
Looking forward to it mate! This is still one of my all time favourite bikes and on my list of builds that i'll get to one day.
WileCyot
9/1/2015 6:48pm
slackinoff wrote:
Correct! They are 2004 48mm OC forks. The bike is an 2003, but for some reason the original owner put on 2004 forks.... I am going...

The SSS forks are the ticket man. I have them on my 06. Best stock forks I've ever ridden on..... well except for my 08 CRF forks that are just short of a full blown B-kit. I put all the factory goodies you can get inside them. Super plush.
slackinoff
9/1/2015 7:25pm Edited Date/Time 9/1/2015 7:38pm
Crush wrote:
Looking forward to it mate! This is still one of my all time favourite bikes and on my list of builds that i'll get to one...
Looking forward to it mate! This is still one of my all time favourite bikes and on my list of builds that i'll get to one day.
Thanks Crush! I hope to see your build soon!

I am slowly starting to really appreciate this bike. I was admittedly quite disappointed on my first ride.

But that was totally my fault. As mentioned before, the suspension was ridiculously out of wack (60mm sag....WTF was I thinking), jetting was super fat right in the middle, bars were too far forward, heavy clutch pull....so as far as setup, it was no where close. That feeling of oneness with the bike is really important for me to have a good ride.

I have had tons of fun the past few days tweaking things and going, Ahh! now that is much better!
slackinoff
9/1/2015 7:33pm
WileCyot wrote:
The SSS forks are the ticket man. I have them on my 06. Best stock forks I've ever ridden on..... well except for my 08 CRF...
The SSS forks are the ticket man. I have them on my 06. Best stock forks I've ever ridden on..... well except for my 08 CRF forks that are just short of a full blown B-kit. I put all the factory goodies you can get inside them. Super plush.
Sweet! I can't wait. Feel free to post some picks of your bike. I love custom suspension. I had a set of 06 or 07 CRF forks on my 02 CR125 and I loved them.

The SSS forks are arriving as Craig Decker's place tomorrow for a revalve, respring, and rebuild. I am a little nervous about trimming down the spacers so they fit in my 04 applied clamps....but if I can't get that to work, they are coming with the stock 06 triple clamps.

slackinoff
9/1/2015 7:36pm
smezmx wrote:
Cool.should you get stuck on anything,the yamaha two stroke section on thumpertalk is a good place to ask.like the way those engine cases turned out btw.clean.
Thanks Semezmx! I was impressed with the vapor blast as well.

I do peruse TT from time to time. The info is great. I like the members much more on Vital vs TT.
Crush
9/1/2015 8:06pm
60mm haha... How!
lemmywinks
9/8/2015 7:39pm
How does she look with the SSS forks?
slackinoff
9/9/2015 5:20am
Crush wrote:
60mm haha... How!
It was awful. I was getting pissed at the bike yelling under my helmet before I realized what was up. I am thinking the titanium rear spring is in fact not a 4.9kg. I have to run it at nearly zero pre load to get my sag number.

I am probably going to switch out to the original steel 4.9 later this week when I go to the track.

Post a reply to: 2003 YZ250 Build - The Steely

The Latest