2002 Honda CR250R

Edited Date/Time 2/22/2016 3:58pm
So I decided to get back into moto last summer after taking a bit of a hiatus. Picked up a pretty clean 2002 CR250R and proceeded to ride my brains out. It's my first two stroke and my intention was to get a bike I knew I wouldn't have to dump a bunch of money into. I fell in love with it right away and could hardly tell it was a 13 year old bike. So now that winter finally arrived here in Denver, I decided I'd clean her up and replace what was needed and have proceeded to go a little overboard since! I did the top end a couple months back and have only put 12 hours on it. Everything looked pretty clean so I haven't focused on the engine much. This is also my first "rebuild" so I'm learning as I go. As far as looks, just trying to keep it simple and clean.

Here are some pics of when I got it and what it looked like this summer

I used to work on Airstreams and have polished a few so I couldn't help but polish part of the frame this summer. That ship has now sailed and I'm over it. So originally this all started just to scotch brite the frame and make it look fresh.

The radiators weren't in terrible shape and I didn't have any problems with them over the summer so to save some money I took the scotch brite to them also and got all the fins as straight as I could. Used a bunch of back to black on the hoses to freshen them up as well.

As far as freshening things up, I went with quite a few new items. I updated the front fender to the 09-13 years as I'm not really in love of the most current fenders and think the 09 looks way cleaner. My bars took a beating this summer from learning to ride again so some twinwalls were ordered up. I figured 13 years of use on one set of rotors was enough, so I ordered up some new Tusk rotors. Got a fairly good deal on a brand new wheel set from a local guy in Colorado, Warp 9's laced to the Excel Notako rims with oversized black anodized spokes and oversized nipples. Went with the Attack graphic backgrounds and DeCal Works shroud graphics. Also new sprockets and chain as well as a few misc. plastic and billet pieces. This is how she sits today, everything is just loosely put together for now. Also, a new Boyesen clutch cover is on it's way

So the plan from here on out was to get my suspension rebuilt and install the correct springs for my weight and order up a Lectron Carb and call it good. However, my water heater just failed on me miserably and has thrown a wrench into those plans so it looks like I'll be learning all about the Mikuni carbs now. My other dilemma is the pipe. I'm stuck with the one I have but hate the look. I've heard of scotch briting that as well but I also don't want to be doing it every other weekend to avoid rust so I fell like it's something I'll just have to live with, any suggestions?
|
TX_187
1/7/2016 9:17pm Edited Date/Time 1/7/2016 9:19pm
I have an 02 cr250 as well. Not sure what kinda suggestions you're looking for but I've learned a few things after rebuilding and riding mine for a year or so now. Make sure your RC valve cables are tight. If you can push them against the case, they're too loose. Keep an eye on the air boot/box seal. They're known to go bad and let dirt in. Run the thinner 05-07 base gasket next time you do a top end. I don't know much about the lectron carb but I switched my stock carb to the air striker from a 00' cr250 and it was much better. I went up a couple teeth on the rear sprocket but ended up going back to stock gearing for mx. Also run a 50/50 mix of 110 leaded fuel and 93 pump at 40:1

As far as your pipe goes, you shouldn't have to worry about rust since yours it plated
1/8/2016 10:27am Edited Date/Time 1/8/2016 10:30am
Clean lookin bike man, nice work. As far as the 00' carb, how did you get a baseline for your jetting? Just trail and error? Also, did you find a used one or order new? I'm about to dig into the mikuni tonight.

The Shop

1/19/2016 5:27am
Not much progress lately but I got the new clutch cover on and ended up rebuilding my carb to save some bucks. Going to send the suspension out for a rebuild new springs this week and that should pretty much be it for now. I'd like to clean out my expansion chamber, any tried and true methods?

moto455va
1/19/2016 5:11pm
"This bike is sick!"

- Wayne Gretzky

--Michael Scott
Olson
1/20/2016 9:53am
Very nice clean up and build!
1/25/2016 7:14pm
Alright, so I threw my mikuni carb on Craigslist a while back and forgot about it. Low and behold a guy offers me 85 bucks for it. I've seen the PWK Air Striker online for around $150. Before I go off and get rid of the carb that already functions on my bike, what all do I have to do for the PWK A/S install? Will the stock throttle cable work? I'm also in Denver so I ride usually at 5k to 6k feet and venture up into the mountains, any suggestions on a ballpark to start with jetting? I highly doubt whatever jetting comes with it will be close at all...
CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3719th
1/25/2016 7:32pm Edited Date/Time 1/25/2016 7:37pm
Call JD jetting buy one from him pre jetted. Nothing to change. I'd Suggest warming the airboot with a hair dryer as the pwk is a little bigger.
1/27/2016 5:43am
What about a torque wing? Any successes with installing that in a mikuni vs getting an air striker?
Skerby
1/27/2016 11:26am
Not much progress lately but I got the new clutch cover on and ended up rebuilding my carb to save some bucks. Going to send the...
Not much progress lately but I got the new clutch cover on and ended up rebuilding my carb to save some bucks. Going to send the suspension out for a rebuild new springs this week and that should pretty much be it for now. I'd like to clean out my expansion chamber, any tried and true methods?

If you're asking about how to clean spooge from the inside of your pipe; I like to pour a small amount of gas in there and light it, its both fun and dangerous.
1/27/2016 12:08pm
Skerby wrote:
If you're asking about how to clean spooge from the inside of your pipe; I like to pour a small amount of gas in there and...
If you're asking about how to clean spooge from the inside of your pipe; I like to pour a small amount of gas in there and light it, its both fun and dangerous.
So what do you, slosh it around and light her up? How long does it take to burn out and how effective is it?
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
1/27/2016 1:13pm
I imagine on a plated pipe like this one you might end up with some undesirable discoloring afterwards.
1stSSPZ
1/27/2016 4:49pm
CrGuy2T wrote:
Call JD jetting buy one from him pre jetted. Nothing to change. I'd Suggest warming the airboot with a hair dryer as the pwk is a...
Call JD jetting buy one from him pre jetted. Nothing to change. I'd Suggest warming the airboot with a hair dryer as the pwk is a little bigger.
That, definitely. Made my 03 CR sing!
Skerby
1/28/2016 4:35pm Edited Date/Time 1/28/2016 4:37pm
Yea, very small amount of gas. slosh it around, light it, it'll burn slow until you blow down one end, then POOT!!!!, its like a jet engine. Its mostly just for fun tho, if you ride the bike hard the pipe will clean itself.
2/17/2016 8:06pm
Had the suspension rebuilt, replaced all bearings, installed a torque wing, repacked the muffler, buttoned everything up and now she's ready to rip! Went to Airborne MX for the suspension work. Haven't ridden it yet but Jim definitely hooked it up. He had worked on this suspension before with one of the previous owners and still had the documentation. I picked up one of those Motion Pro bearing tools which made swapping bearings a breeze. Curious to see how this torque wing works out, I'll know for sure Saturday, 60 degree plus weather here in Denver, can't complain about that!

moto455va
2/17/2016 8:33pm
Looks awesome with the updated front fender
2/22/2016 3:58pm
Thanks Moto455va, I liked the look better than the new 14 fender.

Got to take the bike out to Thunder Valley this weekend. I wasn't sure what to expect but I was blown away. The torque wing brought the bike to life and definitely gave it more bark down low. The suspension was spot on as well. Settled in real nice in the ruts and allowed me to get away with more than I used to.

One last pic before she got dirty...

Big thanks again to Jim at Airborne Suspension for going above and beyond. Also to all my family who helped out! Couldn't have put this together without them, you guys rock!

Braaap!!

Post a reply to: 2002 Honda CR250R

The Latest