2001 RM 125 Build

aroden41
8/17/2015 11:31am Edited Date/Time 8/24/2015 2:40pm
Just finished up my 01 RM125. I bought this thing for $600 off Craigslist. The bike ran, but not very well. It was missing tons of misc bolts and hardware. I knew I was going to be replacing a lot of stuff, but it was even deeper than I expected.

I couldn't have done it without the help of Josh Rogers at EBR Performance in League City, TX. He helped with all the motor work and suspension. Once he got the cylinder back from being re-plated, he ported it, machined the head and rebuilt / trued the crank shaft with OEM parts all in house. He also re-valved / re-sprung the suspension for my weight and riding ability. While torn apart he coated the upper fork tubes giving it a factory look without the pricing of true Kashima coating. I finally got to ride this thing and it RIPS for a 125! I have never ridden 125's before so I didn't know what to expect. Suspension felt like a dream without making any adjustments. He has even offered to set up a test day for anybody with EBR Performance Suspension to get it fine tuned. I highly suggest giving these guys a call for any motor or suspension needs!

Instead of listing all parts I will say that basically every bearing, cable, hose and most nuts/bolts have been replaced with new. I am having troubles locating the original pics of the bike and through the initial tear down to show the before and after. For now, here are the afters. I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out.

|
Andrew337
8/17/2015 11:44am
Wow, that looks incredible! Nice work. Clean and simple.

Might take a second look at that master link clip though. Wink
DoctorJD
8/17/2015 12:01pm
Nicely done.
aroden41
8/17/2015 12:17pm
haha thanks. Yeah, it is already fixed. I caught it while going through the pics. Nice catch and thanks for the heads up!
DylanVV21
8/17/2015 12:30pm
Thing came out fucking tits!

The Shop

8/17/2015 4:03pm
Nice clean bike!! I had one new back in the day. Suspension work and a muffler and it ripped.
Spydee
8/18/2015 1:13am
Very nice my friend Smile
kxman
8/18/2015 2:27am
How did you get that finish on the hubs
Slosh 112
8/18/2015 3:05am
Did you fit a CRF front master cylinder?
aroden41
8/18/2015 5:28am Edited Date/Time 8/18/2015 5:31am
I sent the hub, rims, spokes and new wheel bearings to TCR Wheels. They turn the hubs down on a lathe to get the smooth look out of stock cast hubs. The coating is what they call their "exotic" or "mag" coating. I believe it is an anodize that has a matte magnesium look. They came out looking awesome, and I am very pleased with the outcome.

No, that is the master cylinder that was on the bike when I picked it up. I did not research to see if it was something other than a stock RM master cylinder. All I did was clean it up. Everything on this bike was completely filthy and oxidized after sitting outside for who knows how long before I bought it. I did buy the "CRF" style steel braided brake lines for the RM in order to get rid of the brake line being routed all the way down and around the bottom of the fork lug.
carl-h
8/18/2015 12:05pm
That thing is absolutely gorgeous! Best looking RM I've seen. I too own a 2001 125 although mine doesn't look a patch on that! Can I ask what graphics they are? Trying to find some pretty simple clean looking ones for mine and they're spot on. Can't stand the busy ones that everyone's got at the minute.
Slosh 112
8/18/2015 12:40pm Edited Date/Time 8/18/2015 12:41pm
No, that is the master cylinder that was on the bike when I picked it up. I did not research to see if it was something other than a stock RM master cylinder. All I did was clean it up. Everything on this bike was completely filthy and oxidized after sitting outside for who knows how long before I bought it. I did buy the "CRF" style steel braided brake lines for the RM in order to get rid of the brake line being routed all the way down and around the bottom of the fork lug.

Ok its not the standard one, i'd be 99% sure its a CRF mc,
Slosh 112
8/18/2015 12:42pm
I sent the hub, rims, spokes and new wheel bearings to TCR Wheels. They turn the hubs down on a lathe to get the smooth look out of stock cast hubs. The coating is what they call their "exotic" or "mag" coating. I believe it is an anodize that has a matte magnesium look. They came out looking awesome, and I am very pleased with the outcome.

So they are stock Suzuki hubs? I was going to do the same to mine but I was worried that removing the casting webs would make them to weak, but if yours are OEM RM hubs and you've had no dramas I guess its fine. I skimmed the cast marks out of a spare set of YZF hubs I have but they are a fair bit thicker.
aroden41
8/18/2015 1:16pm Edited Date/Time 8/18/2015 1:20pm
carl-h wrote:
That thing is absolutely gorgeous! Best looking RM I've seen. I too own a 2001 125 although mine doesn't look a patch on that! Can I...
That thing is absolutely gorgeous! Best looking RM I've seen. I too own a 2001 125 although mine doesn't look a patch on that! Can I ask what graphics they are? Trying to find some pretty simple clean looking ones for mine and they're spot on. Can't stand the busy ones that everyone's got at the minute.
Yeah, I was really going for the simple clean look while trying to make all the details stand out. The shroud graphics are made by Factory Effex. They are just OEM replicas from 2005 I think. The backgrounds were made by 180 decals. Thanks for all the compliments.
aroden41
8/18/2015 1:19pm
Slosh 112 wrote:
[i][b]I sent the hub, rims, spokes and new wheel bearings to TCR Wheels. They turn the hubs down on a lathe to get the smooth look...

So they are stock Suzuki hubs? I was going to do the same to mine but I was worried that removing the casting webs would make them to weak, but if yours are OEM RM hubs and you've had no dramas I guess its fine. I skimmed the cast marks out of a spare set of YZF hubs I have but they are a fair bit thicker.
I have no issues and have heard of quite a few people doing this to the stock hubs without any issues.

As far as the m/c, I really think it is the stock one unless the crf and rm have the same levers. I ordered the black brake lever for this bike, and I also got a matching one for my RMZ 450. They are the same exact lever. Only other possibility would be the RM, RMZ, and CRF have the same m/c and / or lever. The brake line part number was for the RM as well.
EL Sammo
8/18/2015 10:10pm
Looks great! Love the pipe.
Cancerman
8/18/2015 11:14pm Edited Date/Time 8/18/2015 11:18pm
So, what did the pipe and you engine mods do for your powerband. I'm asking, as I have an 03 RM125 with 04 forks, and my only complaint is that the bike is all top end, very little mid range and zero low end. I know 125's don't run in the low end, but it makes riding it a bit tricky at times. Gotta be on it everywhere. I have the PC pipe & muffler, MT reeds. One thing that helps to me, is I found a 5 oz MSR/Stealhy flywheel, it keeps it from falling off the pipe a bit, and reduces stalling. Your results& opinion, thanks. (Edit) I used the Galfer CR brakeline, with an oversized Braking rotor kit. Stock Master cylinder, instant nose wheelies, very controlable. Spoiled me now.
Slosh 112
8/19/2015 1:47am
Heres the MC and lever from my 2008 RM125, I was just curious coz I plan on replacing it with an 08 + CRF MC for an improvement. Thats why I was thinking you replaced it or it had been replaced before you because thats a new style MC and my bike is 7 years newer than yours so but anyway I'm done being a detective for the night haha,

Nice bike bro, I'm doing an 08 up slowly, hopefully it will be done by the end of the year, hopefully it end up as nice as this!
Spydee
8/19/2015 1:57am
Slosh, I've got a KTM Brembo MC on my RM - it's a hellova lot better than the standard Nissin if you're looking for options Smile
Slosh 112
8/19/2015 4:28am
How much did that cost you? what bike did it come from? I'm going to put a motostuff 280mm front disc on it so yeah i pretty much want the best brakes any 125 has ever had haha.
aroden41
8/19/2015 4:39am
I have never ridden 125's before, and this thing was not in any condition to ride before tearing it down so I'm not too sure what the power was like before. Like you said, I know there isn't much bottom to begin with. I knew I had my 450 to be lazy on so I wanted to make it a little screamer. That is what I told Josh @ EBR Performance, and that is exactly what he did. I am sure he could change the way he ported and machined the head to help a little more with bottom to midrange if that is what you wanted. Might be best to call and get his opinion. I also installed a flat top piston and Vforce reeds. It will definitely keep you on your toes trying to keep it on that pipe, but that is what makes riding these things such a blast.

Slosh, I see what you're saying. You had me second guessing after looking at your pics; however, I just looked at the parts diagrams and it looks to be the stock 01 M/C. It looks like in 04 they started using the style like you have where the banjo bolt and brake line attach to the front side of the M/C.
K-dubbb
8/19/2015 4:42am
Bike looks incredible dude - well done!

I too just finished doing a full restore/build on a 2001 RM 125 and I love it!!!!!

Check my build out dude, what was the coating you did on the forks? I was planning on doing a DLC (I think thats what its called) to get the same finish this winter when I go balls deep on carbon bits and full suspension overhaul.

Enjoy that thing!
Spydee
8/19/2015 4:50am
Slosh 112 wrote:
How much did that cost you? what bike did it come from? I'm going to put a motostuff 280mm front disc on it so yeah i...
How much did that cost you? what bike did it come from? I'm going to put a motostuff 280mm front disc on it so yeah i pretty much want the best brakes any 125 has ever had haha.
It cost me £35 ($75 AUS) and it came from a 2001 KTM SX125. I narrowly missed out on a '13 SXF MC, so bought the '01! I believe they're pretty much identical though, so SX/SXF will fit no problems - I can get you pics if you want. Can't go wrong with a brand like Brembo Smile
K-dubbb
8/19/2015 5:37am
Slosh 112 wrote:
How much did that cost you? what bike did it come from? I'm going to put a motostuff 280mm front disc on it so yeah i...
Spydee wrote:
It cost me £35 ($75 AUS) and it came from a 2001 KTM SX125. I narrowly missed out on a '13 SXF MC, so bought the...
It cost me £35 ($75 AUS) and it came from a 2001 KTM SX125. I narrowly missed out on a '13 SXF MC, so bought the '01! I believe they're pretty much identical though, so SX/SXF will fit no problems - I can get you pics if you want. Can't go wrong with a brand like Brembo Smile
Which callipers are you guys running?

I've got a 2009 KX 450F caliper on the front of mine with steel braided brake lines and it feels really good - the next addition will be the oversized kit. Just peaked at the Brembo MC's pretty price, but expected for Brembo stuff.
Calhoun117
8/19/2015 6:23am
Woohoo holy hell that's one NICE looking bike. Love it, good fuckn work man.
Markopolo400
8/19/2015 7:50am
How much did the fork tube anodizing run you?
aroden41
8/19/2015 8:40am Edited Date/Time 8/19/2015 10:19am
The uppers are hard anodized. Pricing varies depending on how many sets you can send them. It is roughly $100-$150 a set. I talked a couple buddies in to tearing down their forks and getting theirs done so we could get it on the cheaper end. They discount it even if the other sets aren't the same color, which is nice. I wish I would have done the shock body, clevis, and fork lugs as well, but maybe ill save that for when I service the suspension next! The best place I know of, at least in this area, is Surface Techniques in Houston. They do great work, and they get it done quickly.

Does anybody have experience playing with the adjustment on the PV? Does it make a huge difference? I am hoping to make it out to the track this weekend, and I'm thinking about playing with it a little. Might even try to get some gopro footage to post.
Slosh 112
8/24/2015 1:59am
K-dubbb wrote:
Which callipers are you guys running? I've got a 2009 KX 450F caliper on the front of mine with steel braided brake lines and it feels...
Which callipers are you guys running?

I've got a 2009 KX 450F caliper on the front of mine with steel braided brake lines and it feels really good - the next addition will be the oversized kit. Just peaked at the Brembo MC's pretty price, but expected for Brembo stuff.
Standard at the moment seeing as the bike is in boxes, would like to get a KXF calliper to try.
yak651
Fantasy
168th
8/24/2015 12:31pm
Looks great, if you don't mind asking how much do you have into it after the project? If don't want to say no prob, would like to do something similar some winter.
HackMan162
8/24/2015 2:40pm
Slosh 112 wrote:
[i][b]I sent the hub, rims, spokes and new wheel bearings to TCR Wheels. They turn the hubs down on a lathe to get the smooth look...

I love the look of those wheels. I inquired with Vince at FasterUSA about turning down the RM hubs, and he advised against it, saying that the Suzuki hubs can't handle it like the Yamaha and Honda ones can. So I am still on the fence...

Post a reply to: 2001 RM 125 Build

The Latest