2000 kx 250 rebuild

Edited Date/Time 10/27/2015 9:26pm
Hello everyone I've been a long time reader of the forum and decided to finally register.

I have a 2000 kx 250 that I bought not running back in November, was told just needed a new piston and rings but the bike was beat, but was a cheap price. Long story short, the cylinder was gouged but I sent it to Powerseal and they welded and replated it rather quickly and I got the bike up and running and have ridden it around just for fun, but I want to do the bike right.

I am looking to do a fairly decent rebuild of the bike, I'm not looking to do a replica or an OEM restore but a decent bike to mess around with, I am curious as to how the Ebay oversized radiators hold up as mine aren't in good shape. How do Warp 9 wheels and hubs hold up? How do I match the frame color the best and is painting or powdercoating better? I am redoing the bike with UFO plastics and I like the color scheme of the monster energy kawasaki's with the blue accents so I am leaning toward that scheme. I don't need the best of the best as I am not racing this bike.

I am curious as to what you guys recommend for parts there is a lot of knowledge here!

This is where I am at currently I didn't change much

Here is what I received cylinder had more grooving near the middle that aren't pictured.

|
9/30/2015 11:05am
I used "grabber green" hi temp engine paint on my 2000 frame. Not an exact match, but when "exact match" paint is $20 a can, close enough will do at $5 a can lol.

9/30/2015 2:46pm
Your bike looks great! That color does look close and I'll do that if it comes down to it, can you still get the exact match and how many cans does it take?

What I've done:
Used subframe from ebay (old one was cracked).
New carb top piece.
Cylinder cleaned welded replated/power valves cleaned.
Bottom end rebuild New hot rods crank l.
Pro x piston.
Air filter cage/filter (old one missing).
Right side frame guard.
New radiator hoses.
Renthal fatbar.
Throttle tube.
Rear wheel bearing.
Brake pads.
Rear wheel bearings (discovered hub was damaged).
Petcock orings and gasket.
Oem clutch lever.
New throttle cable.

Over the winter I want to strip it all down and paint the frame, redo the swing arm and linkage bushings and bearings, rebuild the rear shock, revalve the forks, get new wheels and hubs, New plastics, graphics kit, seat cover, New radiators. I am however having trouble finding a couple black plastic bits like the brake line guides. Also what are the techniques to removing expansion chamber dents? Bike came with a pro circuit pipe.

9/30/2015 6:51pm
You basically are replacing everything I replaced. You will unfortunately find that first gear is as tall as second gear, and the pc pipe will kill your low end power. If youve already got the cases split, use the countershaft and first gear from a 95-98 model if you plan on riding offroad. You will curse the bike to hell if you try and trailride with the stock first gear and pc pipe lol.
9/30/2015 6:54pm Edited Date/Time 9/30/2015 6:56pm
It took one can of paint by the way. I used two cans of self etching primer after sandblasting the frame to bare metal and cleaning it with thinner to remove sand and oils. It seems to be a resilient paint and has proven pretty impervious to gas and oil so far. Keep the green side panels also! I hate how white looks.

The Shop

9/30/2015 6:58pm

I made a bracket to mount a front plate from an 07 kx, and also a cr125 front brake hose. The shorter hose improved the front brake a lot.
10/1/2015 3:00am
I have the engine back together now and discovered the first gear being tall when I first rode it lol. The bottom end feels really good as is right now though just lifts the front wheel up as long as I'm getting traction, if not it's just roosting everywhere.

I do have a hinson clutch that came with it and v force reeds, I'm not sure how the reeds affect it over stock, but the bike does have more bottom than my cousins 2001 kx 250.

And I'm doing all green number plates all around and is the kawasaki 617 color the matching color for these bikes or is it different?
10/27/2015 12:28pm
Coming along great , keep us updated with your progess.........

Ace , a question for yourself in regards to the CR front brake cable you used on your KX. in the pictures...... what model CR was it from ??
10/27/2015 9:26pm Edited Date/Time 10/27/2015 9:27pm
2001 cr125. Cleaned my calipers, master cylinder, and the cr line of ALL dirt from the seals and such then reassembled my brakes. Brakes went from weak, barely usable crap to strong stoppers. I use sintered metal front pads and Kevlar rear because I seldom use my back brakes.

Post a reply to: 2000 kx 250 rebuild

The Latest