CR250 Ricky Carmichael 2001 MXoN replica build (New parts found !)

1/19/2018 9:17pm
Hunting down that silencer took some serious patience and fortitude. Big props to you.

How many of those were even made? How do they end up in the public's hands? Im sure that silencer has a heck of a story to it.
mxBryan
2/3/2018 4:13am Edited Date/Time 2/3/2018 4:13am
Thanks guys for the comments !

Yeah, finding the silencer took me several years and patience. Not sure how many they made of these silencers, but it wasn't alot.
Alot of them got thrown away because they were broken.
These silencers were very very light, so light they are actually fragile. Mostly they break at the point where the aluminum is riveted to the kevlar housing. They do the job well and look super trick, but in crashes it will not survive !

Have some new updates coming up so i'll get my coffee and start writing !
mxBryan
2/3/2018 5:29am
Updates from the past weeks....
Fellow vital member Tokyo_Tiddler hooked me up with a good condition period correct renthal bar pad. Looks way more accurate and detailed compared to the new style renthal bar pad i had.
Thanks again Tokyo_Tiddler for hooking me up ! He is also building a HRC bike, go check it out here

Scrubbed the tires with soapy water to get them shiny again. Both the correct DUNLOP D756 tires.

Got my wheels back from the tire shop yesterday and they made a huge mistake ! I livered my rear wheel with 2 OEM rim locks (Carmichael's bike also had 2 rim locks on the rear). When they handed me my wheels back i immediately noticed there only was 1 rim lock in the rear wheel.
When i told them about it they were claiming there only was 1 rim lock livered from me, which is not true.
I remember double checking if they were both in before i handed the wheels, and it was impossible to fall out because the nuts were on the rim locks and the tire band was over the rim locks !
Anyways i ordered a new rim lock and will get it sorted in the next weeks.

I polished the brake pedal to make it more look like a factory billet brake pedal, looks a little more trick !

Received my package from ThrottleJockey, got myself 2 number plate decals, another seat cover and a decal for the inside of the front fender.
One front number plate decal is for the PlasticWerks plate i have and the other one is for a HRC number plate, in case of when i find one. I do have a HRC number plate, but that one is for late 80's early 90's bikes. It's a little different to the newer HRC plates.

All mounted up together with the HRC brake line guide.

I ordered a new seat cover because the one that's been on the bike since the beginning has the letters HONDA slightly smaller than it should be. The new one has it basically the same size as it was on Ricky's bike.

The problem with the decal on the inside of the fender wasn't the correct one i needed, so i got me the correct one !

The original bike.

Was pretty pumped last week when i found the HRC chain guide i needed. Here you can see the difference between the OEM chain guide and a HRC one. The HRC chain guide looks to be NOS !

Got the clutch cover off and glass blasted the brown paint off to get it repainted in a more correct color.

Together with the polished brake pedal. Good combination !

Got more coming up but waiting for parts to arrive.
Stay tuned !
2/3/2018 7:15am
Looking better and better, Bryan! That HRC chain guide needs some titanium bolts to complete the picture. On the billet HRC rear brake pedal I got, it was used (by Bobryshev or Gasjer) and needed a little face lift to look ast good as the new OEM I was replacing, so I sanded then polished like you did, but looked too shiney even for billet, so I took WD40 and a red 3M pad lightly to the shine and now it looks just right and as good as the new OEM it replaced. It is the casting ridges on the OEM part that gives it away rather than the finish compared to the billet works piece.

Clutch cover looks way better. Polished hubs would look great on your bike.

One thing that might be good to put on your shopping list is triple clamps. Since you will use your OEM 47mm clamps, HRC pieces wont work unless you shim a set made for 49mm works Showas. Carmichael's bike had the newer 51mm forks. It is getting harder and harder to find nice triple clamps these days. There are two sources that will give you a clamp that looks similar to the HRC clamp.. one is Emig Racing and the other is Ride Engineering.

mike

The Shop

mxBryan
2/6/2018 3:00am Edited Date/Time 2/15/2018 11:00am
Looking better and better, Bryan! That HRC chain guide needs some titanium bolts to complete the picture. On the billet HRC rear brake pedal I got...
Looking better and better, Bryan! That HRC chain guide needs some titanium bolts to complete the picture. On the billet HRC rear brake pedal I got, it was used (by Bobryshev or Gasjer) and needed a little face lift to look ast good as the new OEM I was replacing, so I sanded then polished like you did, but looked too shiney even for billet, so I took WD40 and a red 3M pad lightly to the shine and now it looks just right and as good as the new OEM it replaced. It is the casting ridges on the OEM part that gives it away rather than the finish compared to the billet works piece.

Clutch cover looks way better. Polished hubs would look great on your bike.

One thing that might be good to put on your shopping list is triple clamps. Since you will use your OEM 47mm clamps, HRC pieces wont work unless you shim a set made for 49mm works Showas. Carmichael's bike had the newer 51mm forks. It is getting harder and harder to find nice triple clamps these days. There are two sources that will give you a clamp that looks similar to the HRC clamp.. one is Emig Racing and the other is Ride Engineering.

mike
Thanks, appreciate the feedback.

I was thinking to de-seam the hubs and give it a brushed finish, but i ended up leaving it the way it was.
Which i regret since i saw a photo from someone who did the same thing to his hubs what i had in mind. It looked super cool and factory !
Something i'll keep in mind when my wheels have to get apart again.

I decided to just leave the OEM clamps on. I had the chance 3 years ago to buy the actual HRC clamps that were on the bike from Carmichael that i'm building ! But at that point my plan was to just build something with look-a-like parts and replica parts and not throw thousands into this bike, but things went different the more the bike got finished !
I'm still mad at myself for not buying the clamps when i had the chance ! I could smash a hammer into my head...

Bryan
2/6/2018 4:22am
Bryan,

Since you are using the OEM 47mm forms and Carmichael had 51mm forks on his bike, the fit would not be great, Claudio has a set of almost identical HRC clamps for the works 49mm forks that would work with a shim.

mike
mxBryan
2/6/2018 4:32pm
Bryan, Since you are using the OEM 47mm forms and Carmichael had 51mm forks on his bike, the fit would not be great, Claudio has a...
Bryan,

Since you are using the OEM 47mm forms and Carmichael had 51mm forks on his bike, the fit would not be great, Claudio has a set of almost identical HRC clamps for the works 49mm forks that would work with a shim.

mike
I know, but if i would get the chance to buy the 51mm clamps guess i will have to search for the matching forks to.
But that's not a priority, having the tank, footpegs etc is my priority right now.

A shim between the 51mm clamps and 47mm forks would work too, but it will not look very great and i would highly not recommend riding it Laughing
mxBryan
2/14/2018 7:46am Edited Date/Time 2/14/2018 7:53am
Time for some updates.

been looking for a while for a decent OEM brake line but nothing else than junk. And new OEM was not available anymore, so been searching for something similiar ! Stumbled across a steel braided brake line from Venhill, which looks pretty close to a OEM brake line. Has nice clear tubings over the steel line !

Way better than the HRC brake line i had. The HRC brake line didn't really fit my bike perfect so the tubing didn't loop really nice over the front number plate. But now i have a nice loop Cheerful

Here is a picture with the new ignition cover on, the magnesium look surface treatment looks pretty cool !
(Sorry for the bad IPhone quality photo.....)

Mostly my race bikes have boring hardware for the bead lock and air valve, just a nut and plastic cap for the air valve.
Not really the way i wanted to go with this bike, so i kind of looked how the factory teams did their wheels.

On Carmichael his bike it kind of looks they have for the air valve a rubber grommet, nut and a aluminum cap. And for the rim lock it seems to have a spacer and a nut ! Pictures are not very clear but been looking to other pictures to and it seems they are using this set up.

Some hardware i gathered for the wheels ! The rubber grommets for the air valve are OEM honda pieces.

Got my rear wheel back from the tire shop with a 2nd OEM rim lock in. This time they didn't lost it !

Yesterday i started applying the DUNLOP tire stickers, but 1 of the 4 original stickers i had has a defect in it, so i it's impossible to remove the backing paper from the sticker without damaging it ! So the sticker is pretty much useless. These original DUNLOP tire stickers only have one chance, so no room for errors...
I had to end up using 2 original stickers on the left side and 2 fake ones on the right side i had laying around, that way it's not noticeable.

The original. (notice the air valve)

The fake one. (notice the rim locks)
Still need to get a new brake disc !

Still waiting to get me seat back with the new cover on and expecting a new gasket for the clutch cover.

In about 12 weeks some guy in Belgium will build me a aluminum tank which will be looking just like a HRC tank.
This man builds so much tanks he has a 12 week waiting list ! But his work is second to none, so i'm confident he will build me a nice tank that looks the part ! The real deal aluminum HRC tank is just unobtainable...
It will be looking like this.

When i have my seat back i'll take the bike outside to take some pictures with my phone.
But i'll wait for the photoshoot (again) until i get that aluminum tank. I like to have photos from a professional photographer not just IPhone amateur photos, i would be bummed to see those professional photos without a aluminum tank on Laughing
2/14/2018 10:44am
Nice detailing, Bryan. I found an NOS OEM front brake line last year and knew they were discontinued so I snapped it up. The one I took off was just as nice as the NOS one, so you should check with me for parts.. that braided one looks great though and very similar to OEM.. Nice find.

I dont beleive that the rear brake rotor is a Honda piece as the slot cutouts are longer than mine.

Did you paint your left side exhaust valve cover black? I dont see that on the race team bikes.

What is the "Magnesium look surface treatment" you speak of, I thought you were powder coating the covers? Do you mean that the aftermarket cover came that way or did you do something to it? It does look way better and very similar to a genuine HRC cover. Hard to tell from the real item.
mxBryan
2/15/2018 9:50am
Nice detailing, Bryan. I found an NOS OEM front brake line last year and knew they were discontinued so I snapped it up. The one I...
Nice detailing, Bryan. I found an NOS OEM front brake line last year and knew they were discontinued so I snapped it up. The one I took off was just as nice as the NOS one, so you should check with me for parts.. that braided one looks great though and very similar to OEM.. Nice find.

I dont beleive that the rear brake rotor is a Honda piece as the slot cutouts are longer than mine.

Did you paint your left side exhaust valve cover black? I dont see that on the race team bikes.

What is the "Magnesium look surface treatment" you speak of, I thought you were powder coating the covers? Do you mean that the aftermarket cover came that way or did you do something to it? It does look way better and very similar to a genuine HRC cover. Hard to tell from the real item.
No, the brake disc is from MotoMaster. But will end up with a OEM disc soon.

The cover is painted black, doesn't really look cool at all but kind of did it to create the same "black thing" like there is on the original bike from Carmichael.
These pictures of the original bike are not very clear, but the black thing you can see on the exhaust valve in the pictures is a eletronic device to control the exhaust valve. The 92-01 CR250 motor always had a mechanical controlled exhaust valve. But in 2000-2001 they were trying out a eletronic system ! Sometimes they still had the mechanical way but often you saw them run a eletronic device.
The electronic controlled exhaust valve only came on production bikes on the 2002 model.

I used to paint my covers just with spray paint, but that new ignition cover came from Corné. He did the magnesium look surface treatment so i don't know what it is exactly, i'll have to ask him again !
It sure looks great and legit.
2/15/2018 1:55pm
The OEM rear disc looks just like HRC rear disc except that the HRC disc uses 6 bolts while the OEM uses 4.

OK.. I get it on the exhaust valve. I have a cover that I got in Japan that has a glass window so you can see the exhaust valve opening and closing.(until it gets coated with oil on the inside). When people see it they are perplexed what kind of device it is and creates a lot of questions. Honda didnt run that electronic valve for long... they just did long enough for development puposes for the 2002 engine. I saw the Japn team run it for a few races, then went back to the original mechanical one until the 3rd gen bike was ready to race.
mxBryan
2/24/2018 4:53pm
Got the seat back with the new seat cover on !
Other than that no new updates... Just waiting to have the aluminum tank.

Still looking for the last HRC RC250 2000/2001 parts i need to finish it up, any help or leads is highly appreciated.
Please contact me on bryanborny@hotmail.com
- Titanium footpegs
- Brake pedal
- Rear brake disc
- Hubs
- Front brake disc cover
- Engine/waterpump guard
- Skidplate
- Clutch perch
- Plastic werks front plate

Anyone has a AMA tech inspection decal for sale like pictured ?

Thanks Bryan

2/24/2018 5:07pm
Bike looking nicer and nicer with each update and now you have to look really closely to fgure out it is not the real deal. I know i mentioned before, but the bike is just screaming for billet triple clamps and a kashima coated rear shock body.
mxBryan
2/28/2018 11:27am
Bike looking nicer and nicer with each update and now you have to look really closely to fgure out it is not the real deal. I...
Bike looking nicer and nicer with each update and now you have to look really closely to fgure out it is not the real deal. I know i mentioned before, but the bike is just screaming for billet triple clamps and a kashima coated rear shock body.
Thanks Mike !
How long does it take to ship your suspension parts to Japan and get it back coated ?
I would consider getting into coating my shock body for now until i find a works piece !
2/28/2018 1:00pm
The Japan company open up an office in Kentuky several years ago and at that time it was 2-4 weeks. But unfortunately, they tried to use the Japanese honor system in the US. They were asking for payment after they sent the coated parts back to the US, and many american customers stiffed them. No honor in the US anymore. SO they closed down their office and refuse to do business directly with the US with the exception of a few places like SDI and Enzo. So you have to add in another middleman and cannt send directly to Japan anymore, so I hear the time has jumperd up to 6-8 weeks, because SDI wont send them right away when they receive them. They will wait until they have a big batch to send. Very inefficient. You are in Belgium, and perhaps the situation is not the same.

I just got my tubes and shock body back from Japan and saw them at the suspension shop, We are still waiting for my lower tubes to come back from anodizing. Anyway, the Kashima came out totally differnt this time compared to my CRF. It came out very dark deep kashima. totally sexy. will post pics soon.
CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3711th
3/2/2018 9:19pm Edited Date/Time 3/2/2018 9:20pm
I have a set of 47mm showa kit suspension and kit shock. It came from mike Craig’s 98 Honda of Troy cr250. You can email me robertmartin517@yahoo.com. Its period correct gold tin lowers tubes kashima uppers, and gold showa fork caps. The shock is kashima as well with the blue and red adjuster. You will have to change the clevis out to make it long enough for the 00/01 bike. I also have a set of procircuit peg mounts. If interested shoot me an email.
mxBryan
4/6/2018 3:50am
After a long time of searching for the HRC engine guard, i decided to build one my own !
I made a couple of extra, if anyone is interested in buying contact bryanborny@hotmail.com

4/6/2018 7:03am
They came out really nice, Bryan. With the real item so hard to find and this such a nice replica, they won't last long! Very nice craftsmanship!

mike
mxBryan
5/24/2018 3:04pm Edited Date/Time 5/28/2018 8:12am
After 12 weeks waiting the replica aluminum HRC gas tank is finally here !

When the bike took off to the gastank builder.

The builder sent me some photos during handcrafting the tank !

Got the bike back in my garage last week and couldn't be happier to see the tank all finished up.

For sure another step closer to the original bike !

Here are some pictures off the original bike with a HRC aluminum gas tank. The only reference the tank builder had were basically these photos, so he did one hell of a job.

mxBryan
8/15/2018 2:02am
After making the bike more detailed and more accurate to the real Carmichael 2001 MXdN bike i decided to call it finished ! Had one of my buddies take some detailed photographs of the bike at the sea-side of Belgium.
The bike will be back stored away on the 2nd floor next to my bedroom Cheerful

Although being stored in the house... the bike is always ready and stand-by for whenever an event pops up in Europe with Carmichael attending ! I'm pretty sure, sooner or later.. i will get Ricky on my bike ! I mean who don't want to see Carmichael on his 2001 MXdN bike he actually never raced back in the days due to 9/11.

Probably there will be no new updates in this thread for a (long) time now, but i will do post updates if i attend any events with the bike !

Anyways enjoy the photographs and a massive thank you to everybody helping me out in this build/journey !
And can't forget to thank all the people and followers that gave me nice compliments over the years Smile

8/15/2018 6:16am
Congratulations on finishing this major project, Bryan. If you keep the bike near your bedroom, is there any risk that you may end up in bed with it? Smile Just kidding!

mike
sende
Fantasy
4429th
8/16/2018 6:09am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2018 6:09am
Now that's a build. Very well done.
Stevehrc
8/16/2018 9:18pm
Absolutely quality mate. It really is a shame you won't be getting it dirty though. Really like the tank
matt.3150
11/22/2018 9:49pm Edited Date/Time 11/22/2018 9:51pm
mxBryan wrote:
Got the seat back with the new seat cover on ! Other than that no new updates... Just waiting to have the aluminum tank. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/02/24/245925/s1200_IMG_1081.jpg[/img] Still...
Got the seat back with the new seat cover on !
Other than that no new updates... Just waiting to have the aluminum tank.

Still looking for the last HRC RC250 2000/2001 parts i need to finish it up, any help or leads is highly appreciated.
Please contact me on bryanborny@hotmail.com
- Titanium footpegs
- Brake pedal
- Rear brake disc
- Hubs
- Front brake disc cover
- Engine/waterpump guard
- Skidplate
- Clutch perch
- Plastic werks front plate

Anyone has a AMA tech inspection decal for sale like pictured ?

Thanks Bryan

Picture of my Works frame 2001 RC250!
ME
mxBryan
11/25/2018 11:58am
matt.3150 wrote:
ME
Can’t see the picture Matt.
Very curious on your frame.

Bryan
matt.3150
11/26/2018 9:46am
The picture you put is my frame, with the AMA numbers?
DJV804
11/26/2018 10:26am
matt.3150 wrote:
ME
mxBryan wrote:
Can’t see the picture Matt.
Very curious on your frame.

Bryan
Hey @mxBryan, there is a very mint set of CR a-kit on eBay right now if you are still looking for a shock. looks brand new.
DJV804
11/26/2018 11:10am
matt.3150 wrote:
Thanks but I have the works stuff.
That was for mxBryan... hence the "@mxBryan"

Post a reply to: CR250 Ricky Carmichael 2001 MXoN replica build (New parts found !)

The Latest