CR250 Ricky Carmichael 2001 MXoN replica build (New parts found !)

mxBryan
10/7/2017 5:46am
Cool story.. too bad you had to get it dirty!
I'm not too worried about that, if that's the price i have to pay to show the bike to Ricky and have it autographed.
Making it dirty for no reason would be too bad i guess, but i always said the bike would only come out of the house for RC or Chad Watts.

Wasn't that dirty after all, just the wheels and tyres were a bit muddy ! Wheels have to come apart eventually one day because i still have the brand new OEM D.I.D. rims for this build, been so busy with other projects the past year that i haven't found the time yet to replace the rims !
10/7/2017 8:02am Edited Date/Time 10/7/2017 8:03am
Superb bike and a great story to go with it now. Well worth a little bit of dirt on the tyres!

The Shop

David934
10/9/2017 5:59am
Man, you are crazy.Smile Nice bike, nice story, congrats meet the GOAT
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
10/9/2017 12:35pm
That is awesome. Congrats on the experience you got to have at MXdN. I saw an aluminum tank for these bikes for sale at the Vets MXdN a few weeks ago at Farleigh Castle.
mxBryan
10/10/2017 2:28pm
731chopper wrote:
That is awesome. Congrats on the experience you got to have at MXdN. I saw an aluminum tank for these bikes for sale at the Vets...
That is awesome. Congrats on the experience you got to have at MXdN. I saw an aluminum tank for these bikes for sale at the Vets MXdN a few weeks ago at Farleigh Castle.
Thanks, something that i will never forget !
Was it a HRC tank ? I am honestly not searching for one, but if one pops up and it's genuine HRC, i will probably end up buying it.

Think i know you from instagram, you the man that bought the honda's in the UK to race the VMXdN right ?!
mxBryan
10/10/2017 3:01pm
Having a NOS HRC clutch perch on it's way, so when that arrives next week i will get a new photo shoot.

Got 2 ideas in my mind for the photshoot. I'm thinking of having the shoot at a warehouse, but still searching for a warehouse that looks like what i have in my mind and ofcourse one that gives me the permission to spend a hour taking pictures.
OR i would just take the photoshoot in a room or studio with a black background just like how the official photos got shot of the 2001 team USA bikes !

If someone has other cool ideas on places, let me know...
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
10/11/2017 6:46pm
731chopper wrote:
That is awesome. Congrats on the experience you got to have at MXdN. I saw an aluminum tank for these bikes for sale at the Vets...
mxBryan wrote:
Thanks, something that i will never forget ! Was it a HRC tank ? I am honestly not searching for one, but if one pops up...
Thanks, something that i will never forget !
Was it a HRC tank ? I am honestly not searching for one, but if one pops up and it's genuine HRC, i will probably end up buying it.

Think i know you from instagram, you the man that bought the honda's in the UK to race the VMXdN right ?!
I'm not sure if it was HRC. I don't know enough to tell. All I thought about was if I could fit it in my gear bag for the flight home, haha.

And yes that is me! My Dad and I were both able to race so I must admit he is the crazy man that set most all of it up. My riding was pathetic but the experience was second to none. I got to meet so many great people and had a lot of first time experiences. Best trip ever!
mxBryan
10/12/2017 8:23am
731chopper wrote:
I'm not sure if it was HRC. I don't know enough to tell. All I thought about was if I could fit it in my gear...
I'm not sure if it was HRC. I don't know enough to tell. All I thought about was if I could fit it in my gear bag for the flight home, haha.

And yes that is me! My Dad and I were both able to race so I must admit he is the crazy man that set most all of it up. My riding was pathetic but the experience was second to none. I got to meet so many great people and had a lot of first time experiences. Best trip ever!
Yeah, must be a hell of a experience to race in a foreign country.
Well next month i will race the day in the dirt in Glen Helen ! So i kinda feel what you talking about Cheerful
Original plan was also buy/sell a vintage bike, but plans got changed recently so i will end up with a rental dirtbike.. but it will be a 2 stroke Cool

Gonna be great !
10/31/2017 7:13am
Just spent near on an hour reading every part of this build. Absolutely unreal, I love all the little details mate, you've done an awesome job! That RC replica has always one of my dream builds
KDXGarage
11/1/2017 2:01pm
DAMN, SON! THAT IS AN AWESOME STORY!! Congratulations to you!
mxBryan
12/21/2017 4:09am Edited Date/Time 12/21/2017 4:11am
Got some updates to share from the past couple of weeks and months i kinda forgot to talk about.

Titanium HRC subframe bolts and a aluminum HRC exhaust washer with Titanium HRC bolts (this is replica stuff but machined of original parts)

And a HRC 1.8 radiator cap ! have this stuff for a while now but never posted this up.

Few weeks ago i had the chance to buy a complete brand new HRC clutch perch, exactly the one is was looking for !

Carmichael's MXoN bike had this clutch perch too, but they replaced the lever with a ARC machined lever.
Tortelli's bike also had this combination.

I was able to find on Ebay the OLD style ARC lever they used on the factory bikes above. The NEW style ARC levers are different.

The ARC lever will not fit the HRC clutch perch because the rubber is not allowing to !
Like you can see on Tortelli's bike, they kind of cut off a piece of the rubber. Not exactly what i wanted to do Laughing
So i just took a OEM honda rubber and cut that one in half.

2 weeks ago i returned home from my yearly vacation in California, i actually raced the Red Bull day in the dirt at Glen Helen while i was on vacation.

I meet up with my buddy (mxracer618) at Glen Helen, he arranged me a new PlasticWerks plate and 4 original DUNLOP tire stickers ! Thanks again Scott, i owe you a couple of beers Wink Offcourse i had to take home a six-pack of 805 beer !

Got some more updates coming up in the next days/weeks, after 2.5 years i finally found a NOS DUNLOP D756f front tire !
A HRC cable guide for the PW plate is coming up too.
And i found a HRC replica ignition cover, but the one that's been made back in the days from the Dutch company TMV, these were more detailed and way more accurate compared to the cast replica's i have right now !
12/21/2017 4:19am
Nice progress, Bryan! I hope to find the same HRC clutch lever and Plasti-Werks plate.

mike
mxBryan
12/22/2017 11:56am
Nice progress, Bryan! I hope to find the same HRC clutch lever and Plasti-Werks plate.

mike
Thanks Mike,
I keep my eyes open for you.
The Plastic Werks plates are out there, have you tried opening a topic in the bazaar section ?
Have a great christmass !

Bryan
mxBryan
12/22/2017 12:03pm
Just spent near on an hour reading every part of this build. Absolutely unreal, I love all the little details mate, you've done an awesome job...
Just spent near on an hour reading every part of this build. Absolutely unreal, I love all the little details mate, you've done an awesome job! That RC replica has always one of my dream builds
Thanks !
Glad you like it, original plan was to build a replica with only replica parts and look-a-like parts...
But then i got the first HRC parts and so did the addiciton begin to build this bike as accurate as i can.
I'm kind of looking for al the HRC parts this bike have, HRC aluminum tank, skid plate, waterpump guard, brake pedal, footpegs and so on...
I'm only curious if there are more replica's out there of this bike.
12/23/2017 6:48pm
Man you have some awesome parts that hrc clutch purch it's sweet. Awesome job with the bike aswell
12/24/2017 6:57am

mike
mxBryan wrote:
Thanks Mike, I keep my eyes open for you. The Plastic Werks plates are out there, have you tried opening a topic in the bazaar section...
Thanks Mike,
I keep my eyes open for you.
The Plastic Werks plates are out there, have you tried opening a topic in the bazaar section ?
Have a great christmass !

Bryan
Hi Bryan,

I just found another HRC part yesterday.. the problem is that it takes so long to find the parts, you really cant do like Corne is by building with orginal works parts upfront, but like we are doing with many replica parts for the initial build then gradually replace with the HRC and works Showa parts as we find them one by one. The harder it is to find these parts, the more you want them!

mike
mxBryan
12/24/2017 8:08am
Hi Bryan, I just found another HRC part yesterday.. the problem is that it takes so long to find the parts, you really cant do like...
Hi Bryan,

I just found another HRC part yesterday.. the problem is that it takes so long to find the parts, you really cant do like Corne is by building with orginal works parts upfront, but like we are doing with many replica parts for the initial build then gradually replace with the HRC and works Showa parts as we find them one by one. The harder it is to find these parts, the more you want them!

mike
Exactly ! I can find myself 100% in your quote.
I have a HRC steel brake line for sale at the moment.

Bryan
mxBryan
12/24/2017 8:11am
WCRider wrote:
Awesome compatriot Smile
Compatriot Cool
Good to see more people from Belgium find their way to this forum !

Where are you from ?
DJV804
12/25/2017 4:29pm
Great Build! Just out of curiosity...why no A-kit shock?
mxBryan
12/26/2017 1:51am
DJV804 wrote:
Great Build! Just out of curiosity...why no A-kit shock?
Thanks, well the original bike had a factory showa shock, which is totally different to an A-kit shock.
If i could get my hands on a factory shock, that would be great ! But A-kit will work for me too or cashima coat my OEM shock is also a option.

Finding a A-kit made for the 00-01 CR250 is kind of difficult, have seen a few kits for sale but mostly for newer bikes.
12/26/2017 7:57am
i am going through the same thing right now, Bryan. I havent seen an A-kit shock for a 2000-20001 for some time now. Just took off my suspension last night to send to Japan to do the Kamisha coat. Will do the Titanium Nitride Copper coating on the lowers like the factory had at that time along with the black hard anodized lugs. I will anodize the outer ring of the compression adjuster on the shock blue with the inner one red so it will look like a factory Showa shock at a quick glance.

The difference between the A kit shock and the full works Showa shock is that the works shock, although the same basic design, is that it is CNC'd from billet aluminum instead of the casting like the A-Kit. There may be a difference on some of the coatings, but I doubt a lot. It would really be hard to find a billet shock like the one Corne has, but I would go for it in a heartbeat. It would probably be close to $2k if you could find it. The main difference that makes these shocks better over OEM is the complete separation of the compression and rebound systems so one doesnt influence the other, the bigger 18mm rod, and the much larger diameter tuning shims which is why the adjuster is so much bigger than the OEM one.
DJV804
12/26/2017 8:55am Edited Date/Time 12/26/2017 8:56am
Got ya, I'm aware the differences...just was. Ore curious because reading through this I never saw you even mention wanting any sort of factory or a-kit suspension. Your forks looks spot on but for me personally a kit/factory shock really finishes off a build. If I see one floating around I will post the link on here for you! Would love to see that on this bike.
mxBryan
1/9/2018 3:40pm
Few updates from the past weeks...
After 2.5 years searching i found a NOS DUNLOP D756F front tire, it had layers and layers of dust on it but it wasn't dry rotted so that's the good part !
Only cleaned it with soap and a pressure washer so far, will need to do some scrubbing to get it looking brand new and shiny again

Also received the HRC cable guide.

And i got another replica HRC ignition cover, the one on the right is (i think) made by TMV back in the days and are way more detailed compared to the left one that's been sitting on this bike since the beginning.
The right one has a special "magnesium look" treatment to make it look more like a original HRC magnesium igniton cover !
It's a little rough around the edges, but i don't mind it ! Let's call it patina Laughing

Next week's job is to get the NOS OEM D.I.D. rims laced up ! They been laying around here now for over a year.
Also ordered 2 new front number plate decals at ThrottleJockey, 1 for the HRC number plate i have and 1 for the PW plate.
With all that being done i don't have any new updates coming up so gonna start looking to get some new photographs of the bike before she goes back up to the 2nd floor.

mxBryan
1/19/2018 1:48pm
Little more progress..
I had a HRC replica brake clevis laying around for this bike for a while now, but it didn't fit so i finally decided to drill a larger hole and retap the clevis to make it fit.
Looks pretty cool and factory ! The original bike also had this clevis, so i'm kind of looking for the HRC brake lever to match the clevis.

Also drilled and put some rivets in the side number plates like the original bike has, just a small detail to make my bike look a little closer to the original bike.

I also made holes at the back of the side number plates, just like the factory teams did ! This design improved the airflow to the airbox.
The production bikes didn't have the holes, but they started to use this design on production bikes from 2002 up to 2007 !

Yesterday i started tearing apart the wheels and laced up the new OEM D.I.D. rims. Still need to balance the wheels, so after that i can put the tires back on.
The wheels on this bike are now 100% brand new !

ledger
1/19/2018 3:48pm
Nice job on detailing the side plate, lot of passion you have put into this bike, I like that.

Post a reply to: CR250 Ricky Carmichael 2001 MXoN replica build (New parts found !)

The Latest