CR250 Ricky Carmichael 2001 MXoN replica build (New parts found !)

mxBryan
7/30/2016 4:37pm
Fantastic build bud! Looking good
Thanks ! Glad it's finished, been busy almost 2 years on this build.
mxBryan
7/30/2016 4:38pm
Kx125rider wrote:
Bike turned out great, awesome job. Good luck finding those parts.
Thanks, really appreciate the words !
mxBryan
7/30/2016 4:49pm
manray2112 wrote:
This build is sweet! It looks perfect. I just got my 01 all done up nice today, still waiting on fork guards, seat cover, new back...
This build is sweet! It looks perfect. I just got my 01 all done up nice today, still waiting on fork guards, seat cover, new back tire, new brakes lines and levers.. Going for a more modern look. These 01's rip! I'm scared to get her dirty now it's taken me a while getting her to where she's at. Being only 16, every dollar I have goes into the bike haha.

Nice work buddy ! Yeah the 01 motor is one gnarly thing. Besides the chassis i like the motor more than my 2002 CR250.
A cycra front number plate would look cool to on your bike with that CRF front fender

Well keep doing the good stuff bud !
7/30/2016 5:11pm
mxBryan wrote:
Thanks ! Glad it's finished, been busy almost 2 years on this build.
2 years! I thought mine was taking forever. Good things take time

The Shop

mxBryan
7/31/2016 6:14am
2 years! I thought mine was taking forever. Good things take time
Yeah i wasn't in a rush but i set my goal on september 2016.
I enjoy every minute in the shop working on my bikes !
mxBryan
9/19/2016 4:02pm
Still searching for a HRC kevlar silencer and a HRC front brake disc cover, besides that i need a new OEM clutch cable and a killswitch, but it's on his way.
The build is basically done !

Haven't been able to get a photoshoot of my bike on time because i had some troubles with sellers of the last pieces i needed.. So i kinda missed my deadline ! Bummer... But the photoshoot is coming !

In meantime i finally found the pro circuit works stand from another seller ! The 1st seller was a pain in the ass"hole" to deal with.. i highly doubt he even had that works stand, that guy kept on saying i have the stand for you but never shipped it to me, so i took the car and drive up 600miles to this guy to get the answer " i have the stand for you but not here" so going back home empty hands ! That's why i had to cancel the photoshoot, because my mind was set to have a shoot of my bike on a PC works stand but didn't have one at that time !

Like 2 weeks ago i found another person who could deliver me the stand within 2 weeks. So bought it right away. These works stands are pretty hard to find in Europe.

A buddy of mine replicated the decals for the panels.

Also i bought a new rough diamond, a CR500 from 1998. I already have done a ton of work on the bike, literally everything on that bike was junk ! It's almost finished, but i might start a new topic for the 500.

Just a reminder, if anyone can help me finding the HRC parts i still need, your help is highly appreciated !
HenryA
9/21/2016 7:39am
Hey mxBryan, I'm going to try and restore a pipe the same way you did. After bead blasting it, did you use scotch brite and WD-40, nothing else? I've read about people wet sanding it too

Very nice build btw!
mxBryan
9/22/2016 3:18am
HenryA wrote:
Hey mxBryan, I'm going to try and restore a pipe the same way you did. After bead blasting it, did you use scotch brite and WD-40...
Hey mxBryan, I'm going to try and restore a pipe the same way you did. After bead blasting it, did you use scotch brite and WD-40, nothing else? I've read about people wet sanding it too

Very nice build btw!
Hi Henry,

No, after bead blasting i simply used WD-40 and green scotch brite.
You could wet sand to but i prefer scotch brite.

Thanks mate, appreciate the compliments !
mxBryan
11/24/2016 5:53am
Hi guys ! Finally found the time to post the pictures of the photoshoot i had last month !

So after almost 2 years of building and collecting parts, this build is considered finished, except i'm still searching for that HRC kevlar silencer.
At the moment it's basically a NEW bike, everything is new or in new condition. Restored with alot of OEM parts, HRC factory parts, PhilDentonEngineering parts and some aftermarket/ replica parts.
Engine was fully rebuild (new cylinder, piston, connection rod, bearings, seals etc..) at the beginning of 2014, i only ran the bike for 6 months before starting this replica build, so the engine only had 28 hours since rebuild (piston 18 hours). As i decided NOT to race or ride this bike, i didn't feel like rebuilding the engine over again.

Building this bike was quite a journey, i met a lot of new people from all over the world thanks to it, helping me with parts, leading me to parts, selling me their parts or giving me tips etc..
So a BIG THANK YOU to all of you !!
Special thanks to Stevie Denton (StevieD113) in making me some unique high quality parts, and my buddy Scott Denison (mxracer618) who helped me out several times ! We were building the same bike at the same time, and i got invited at his place in sunny SoCal to check his bike out during my vacation in California !
Check it out here !

I hope you all enjoy the photos as much as i do !

Here's a little comparison !

As i won't be riding this bike, i decided to place the bike on the 2nd floor in the house !
In the photo you can see 2 updates for this build, i found a new HRC number plate and 2 new silver OEM D.I.D. rims.
At the time i was building my wheels i took the old crappy silver D.I.D. rims from my 2002 CR250, but those old scratched rims were a needle in the eye for me ! And couldn't find new OEM rims at that time..

mxBryan
11/24/2016 8:15am
sandman768 wrote:
Nice job! Did you start it?
Not yet..Grinning as soon as i find the correct silencer she will be started !
j368
11/26/2016 5:58pm
Wow, you did a stellar job Sir! Very impressive work to all the small details!
PRM31
11/27/2016 7:41am
I admire your work. Great attention to detail. I can't imagine not riding it though!
mxBryan
11/27/2016 1:24pm
j368 wrote:
Wow, you did a stellar job Sir! Very impressive work to all the small details!
Thanks for the nice words, appreciate them !
mxBryan
11/27/2016 1:29pm
PRM31 wrote:
I admire your work. Great attention to detail. I can't imagine not riding it though!
Thanks, appreciate it !

I have a 2002 CR250 and a 1998 CR500 for riding, so i don't feel like riding this bike to.
Also my heart would bleed if i see some dirt or water on all my hard work.. (i know.. it's a dirtbikeLaughing ) think i have OCD or something lol !
gsxr6
11/27/2016 9:41pm
That shift lever placement though. Is it intentional to be that high?
mxBryan
12/2/2016 5:20am
Your photos are beautiful! Good stuff!
Thank you, i'll give the credits to the photographer !
2/21/2017 6:51am
mxBryan wrote:
Hey guys No big updates, but got some parts collected the past weeks ! A small batch of OEM honda parts. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/08/27/103125/s1200_P7287063.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/08/27/103126/s1200_P8277063.jpg[/img] Got me a...
Hey guys
No big updates, but got some parts collected the past weeks !

A small batch of OEM honda parts.

Got me a UFO front number plate "plasticwerks" style, this one will do the job until i find a PW one.

HRC replica aluminum fork guard screws anodized in black, will have a better picture next time.

At the moment my front forks are in the suspension shop for a "factory look" treatment, upper tubes gonna be anodized in silver, inner tubes will be plated in the brown/bronze color which looks like RC's bike had, and the fork lugs getting hard-anodized in black.
Can't wait to have it back in my hands.

Nice build!.. where did you get the replica HRC fork guard screws?

Those replica HRC engine bolts fit the ignition cover? I am also looking for 2000-2001 era HRC parts if you know of any good leads. I just finished building my 2001 and now just adding the HRC parts when I find them.
mxBryan
2/24/2017 8:43am
Thanks !

I bought the HRC fork guards from someone who made a whole batch and he sold it in sets of 6.
They were machined by Phil Denton Engineering in the UK. You could either try and contact www.vintagehonda.nl, maybe he has a set left or you could contact Phil Denton Engineering.

The ignition cover has new OEM bolts, i only used HRC titanium bolts for the engine cases and clutch cover.
Things like powervalve cover, reed valve etc still have OEM bolts.
mxBryan
3/26/2017 4:50am
Well guys, i finally, FINALLY... found the HRC kevlar/aluminum silencer i was looking for, for over 2 years !
Worth the waiting for sure.. It's in pretty mint condition, no cracks etc..

As you see the bike is on the 2nd floor next to my very first "real" dirtbike, so can't really take any decent pictures. But she has to come down eventually one day. So i will try to fix a new photoshoot on a different location.

Like some of you already know, the last thing i want to do is riding this bike ! I can't imagine having a spot of dirt, sand or water on this bike.. I know it's not the natural habitat for a dirtbike, but it's the best thing for my heart and my OCD.. LOL Laughing

I do promise when she comes downstairs, i will start the bike and make a video of it when it's idling !

Got alot of comments on my pictures on Facebook, instagram, Vitalmx that my bike didn't had a silencer.. Well sorry for that guys, my plan was to keep looking for the HRC silencer until i find one.

kwenske321
3/26/2017 6:09pm
Unreal dude! Looks awesome! Where did you end up finding the silencer?
Turbojez
3/27/2017 3:23am
This is an absolutely amazing bike. Congrats on your build!
8/31/2017 12:37am
Hi Bryan,

what adapter bracket did you use for the 260mm HRC front brake disc?

where did you find the HRC pipe? I am always looking for HRC parts but hard to find advertised for sale.

mike
8/31/2017 5:15am
mxBryan wrote:
Hello. Some updates from the past few weeks ! Today i picked up my suspension from the shop, after they gave it a "A kit" touch...
Hello.
Some updates from the past few weeks ! Today i picked up my suspension from the shop, after they gave it a "A kit" touch.
Fork lugs were hard-anodized in black, inner tubes have the gold Ti-nitrate coating and the upper tubes anodized in silver.

Got my engine stripped and the cases shipped to Holland for vapour-blast, the cases were finished today so should have them back in a week !

So last week i received my titanium nuts for the cylinder and head, and i ordered a titanium "HRC type" bolt kit for the engine from Phil Denton Engineering in the U.K., should have them in about 2 weeks !

The engine should be complete in a month, only piece missing is a Honda Racing ignition cover.
I have the Honda Racing clutch cover already which i bought a year ago. Only i still need to paint it.
These were the cast aluminum ones, but i'm not so happy about the finish of the words HONDA RACING. It looks pretty rough, i've seen better ones out there for sure !

Meanwhile the parts pile is growing !

I'm planning a photoshoot of the engine when it's finished, should be awesome !
I really like the forks, the coatings and anodizing make old forks look brand new again.
mxBryan
10/6/2017 2:16am
kwenske321 wrote:
Unreal dude! Looks awesome! Where did you end up finding the silencer?
Thanks ! Well someone contacted me about knowing someone that has one for sale.. Just long waiting Grinning
mxBryan
10/6/2017 2:31am
Hi Bryan, what adapter bracket did you use for the 260mm HRC front brake disc? where did you find the HRC pipe? I am always looking...
Hi Bryan,

what adapter bracket did you use for the 260mm HRC front brake disc?

where did you find the HRC pipe? I am always looking for HRC parts but hard to find advertised for sale.

mike
Hi Mike, the adapter bracket is from MotoMaster.
I found the HRC pipe on accident on a dutch listing website, but i knew who the seller was !

Sometimes you just have to wait long enough.. And don't mis one day looking on your listing websites !
Happens i don't check VBA for a week, and then you see lots of nice stuff already SOLD...
mxBryan
10/6/2017 5:21am Edited Date/Time 10/6/2017 5:35am
First of all thanks for all the nice compliments. It's been a while since i came with updates on this topic, but got some great news coming up !

Some of you might noticed in the Vital MX Pit Bits 2018 MXoN - Matterley Basin article there was halfway the article a picture of Ricky Carmichael's 2001 MXoN bike. That was my bike displayed in the paddock last weekend @Matterley Basin. Let me share the story.

So 2 weeks ago on a Saturday morning opening Facebook, and first thing i see is "Carmichael confirmed on riding the Lap Of Legends on sunday at the MXoN" ! Dave King who posted the news had to organize the Lap Of Legends. So i told him i could bring my bike over for RC to ride the Lap Of Legends, because if you know the story behind the 2001 MXoN team USA, how cool would it be to see RC actually ride his 2001 MXoN bike he couldn't race back then in 2001 ! All that in front of thousands of crazy fans at the 2017 MXoN.

We knew from the beginning the odds were small he would actually ride a honda while he is nowadays a suzuki guy ! But Dave asked me if i could bring it over and we would try to get him on a honda, IF NOT.. we would just let him autograph the bike and ask for a picture, that was the main goal as i knew odds would be small he would ride it, i mean how cool is it that you can show your replica build to the man it belonged to years ago ! For me this would be one cool opportunity and experience so GAME ON Cool

Like some of you know the bike was parked on the 2nd floor in the house, so she had to come down again.
Once back in the shop, i filled her up with coolant, gas, checking motor oil etc.. i pulled the kickstarter a few times with my hands going through some compressions, stepped on it, and gave it 1 good kick en she fired up RIGHT AWAY ! (for those that are curious on the sound of the factory HRC pipe and silencer, check out my Instagram @mxbryan93)

So the next week on Friday after having everything sorted out i took the ferry boat from Belgium to the U.K. crossing our small pond.

Once arrived at the camping we draw massive attention pulling up with a rumbling V8 truck with a Carmichael bike on top, not what we wanted because bikes get stolen easily at these sort of events ! So we wanted the bike out of the camping and in the paddock ASAP..
My friend knew the people from the 24MX Lucas Oil racing team, so we had to bring the bike into the pits. What an enormous hassle to get that bike in, security kept sending us back and forth not believing a word from what i'm saying ! But eventually we got it in and it was at a safer place than the camping !

Photo underneath taken from Vital MX Pit Bits.

So on Saturday RC was giving a picture/autograph session at the road2recovery stand, where i asked him if he wanted to ride a replica of his 2001 MXoN bike on sunday. All he simply said was he's not allowed to ! Too bad, but he was ok to autograph it on Sunday ! So i'm cool with that.
Dave King who organized the Lap Of Legends told me to bring the bike on Sunday just before noon to the start where he would take it over and get it autographed. I didn't have a pass or wristband to get entrance to the start, so i would probably not get in.

On sunday me and my friend took the bike and wheeled it from the paddock to the start, it was very crowded but everyone just stepped aside ! You could hear multiple people say WOW ! The smiles on the faces, the phones which got taken out of many pockets to take pictures..
All this was just an incredibly feeling and moment you hardly can't describe ! As we approached the entrance to the start, i told my friend to put on his pokerface and hope they would open the gate for us to come inside without asking for passes or wristbands !
And so they did, the gates to heaven opened and we were in ! Standing in line with some of the legends who would also ride the Lap Of Legends. (RC just pulled up with a Suzuki in the back ground)

Having a pose Laughing

And then the moment came, Dave asked RC to take a minute and come check out the bike !

I've always wanted to meet RC, but meet him this way was far from what i was thinking of ! All this is just another great memory and something they will never take away from me.
Have to thank Dave King, 24MX Lucas Oil racing team and some of my friends, because all of this was not possible without them !

Actually seeing RC posing with the 2001 MXoN bike gives me the chills, as far as i know there are no pictures of RC with this bike.

After the bike got home again i immediately took it apart to clean everything, some of you might know on Sunday the coniditions were muddy everywhere, but that didn't hold us back Cool

At this moment the bike is back together completely clean, drained the gas and coolant.
Looking to find the time to get a new photoshoot with the HRC silencer on it before i put it back on the 2nd floor !

So stay tuned..
H4L
10/6/2017 7:05am
Very Cool ! Thanks for sharing. I have an 03 CR250r replica of his & it would be an experience of a life time to do something similiar with him autographing the bike.

Post a reply to: CR250 Ricky Carmichael 2001 MXoN replica build (New parts found !)

The Latest