1987 Honda CR250R complete restoration; lots of pics, advice appreciated

moore433
6/16/2017 8:24pm
Great job!!! And to prove I'm a standup guy, I'll pay for the shipping charges to my house so you can recover this high cost of shipping.
I wanted a 87 CE 250 so bad and by the time I could swing the financing they all sold out. So I ended up with the first 88 cr 250 in my area. It was pretty,but I sure didn't like it....
Marcus_Evans
6/24/2019 11:13am
Any update on how you got the 89 side cover in your 87? I am currently in the process of installing one myself. I ordered all the parts and am ready to install it. Only problem is, I don’t know exactly what little modifications need to be done to successfully mate the 87 with an 89 cover. Any help will be much appreciated !
ktm_kev
8/17/2020 6:45am
Any update on how you got the 89 side cover in your 87? I am currently in the process of installing one myself. I ordered all...
Any update on how you got the 89 side cover in your 87? I am currently in the process of installing one myself. I ordered all the parts and am ready to install it. Only problem is, I don’t know exactly what little modifications need to be done to successfully mate the 87 with an 89 cover. Any help will be much appreciated !
Marcus_Evans,

Have you successfully done this? Can you let me know exactly what is needed to accomplish this?
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
8/18/2020 12:01pm
Still torn on running the stock forks. I really love the look of the USD's on the 87, juicy lol Here is pretty much how my...
Still torn on running the stock forks. I really love the look of the USD's on the 87, juicy lol

Here is pretty much how my bike is going to look when done if I use the stock forks...

Now this look is smokn', with the stock seat this bike would be amazing. This bike was the inspiration for my project...

I will be riding my beast at least a couple times a month, opinions?

Either the standard (Bailey-style) or USD (Johnson-Style) forks would be legit on that bike. If you do opt for the standard setup, for God's sake don't put the Showa sticker on upside-down like that guy did! SadWink

Also, a detail lots of dudes miss on the rebuilds is the fabric Renthal barpad cover. Renthal didn't have the plastic/vinyl ones until the late '90s. If you can find a fabric one, you're golden.

The Shop

bborland
11/25/2020 10:18am
Any update on how you got the 89 side cover in your 87? I am currently in the process of installing one myself. I ordered all...
Hi Marcus, were you ever able to find out about the modifications to the 89 cover that need to be done? thanks !

ben
Tracktor
12/2/2020 10:40am
bborland wrote:
Hi Marcus, were you ever able to find out about the modifications to the 89 cover that need to be done? thanks !

ben
I just did two covers for my '87 barn finds. All that is needed was to relieve between the PV preload spring & the PV governor. There is a ton of info on it if you search since I don't have pics. I took an extra step and mic'd the original dpeth on the 87 cover and bored out the '89 cover so the preload was identical since the 89 doesn't have the preload bolt. If you use the outer cup without doing this there would be slightly more preload on PV causing it to open later. Plenty have done it that way with decent results it seems or some leave the outer cup off I believe so optional step, imo.....
bborland
7/29/2023 1:01pm

For those interested, Ive done the 89 cover swap on my 87

According to my measurements:

spring cup in 87 case sits approx 7.44mm from case edge

spring cup in 89 case sits approx 5.36mm from case edge

difference :  approx 2.08mm

Spring w/ spring cup  : approx 65.99mm

Spring w/ no spring cup : approx 64.47mm

difference : approx 1.52mm

Seeing as how the 89 powervalve spring has no cup, I decided to get rid of the 87 spring cup. The spring sits nicely on the existing "lip" of case. 

Removing the cup leaves a remaining approx 0.56mm to bore out 

Ive decided to not do any boring,  seeing as how it is such a small amount,  and see how it works. 

IMG 8806 0IMG 8807 0IMG 8809 0IMG 8811 0

I will get back with results , thanks to those who have contributed to this thread so far 

Post a reply to: 1987 Honda CR250R complete restoration; lots of pics, advice appreciated

The Latest