1980 YZ465 Clutch issue

hannahfan
Edited Date/Time 6/9/2014 3:23am
I just bought a 1980 YZ465 and everything so far has been in good condition except for the clutch. When I put bike into 1st gear, it begins to pull even with clutch in. Figuring the plates were old and stuck, I replaced the fiber plates and cleaned off the metal ones. Put back together and tested today and same problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am hoping that it is a cable adjustment issue and not an internal issue, but willing to do whatever it takes to fix. Thanks !

|
Paw Paw 271
6/8/2014 2:59pm
What did the clutch basket look like?
Was it notched?
Did you adjust the cable correctly?

Paw Paw
hannahfan
6/8/2014 3:14pm
Basket seemed fine - plates moved through in and out as I changed them. I was planning on making adjustments next to the cable connection at the engine.
6/8/2014 7:06pm Edited Date/Time 6/8/2014 7:19pm
The older Yamaha YZ / MX models seemed to experience creeping when in gear ,even with the clutch in. From what I gather, if the plates are not fully separating when the clutch is in, there will be partial engagement of the plates, causing the creep.

Check for wear on the complete clutch mechanism . From the pusher assembly where the cable attaches at the case, the clutch rod, clutch ball, etc, all the way to the adjustment screw at the center of the pressure plate. Check to be sure all washers are installed in their respective positions in the basket / hub assembly.

It could be that the center screw on the pressure plate needs to be adjusted.

Actuate the clutch with the cover off, and see if you can get say a .003-.004 feeler gauge between the plates with the lever pulled in. Use a zip tie on the lever to the bars to hold the clutch in while you check for clearance. No clearance means the clutch is partially engaging, causing it to creep.

The idea is to have a bit of clearance, so the plates are fully separating, allowing oil to coat the plates when the clutch is pulled in, to help minimize the creep.

http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/50041f43f8700209bc786ab8…
hannahfan
6/9/2014 3:23am
Awesome - thanks for feedback - will try this out !

Post a reply to: 1980 YZ465 Clutch issue

The Latest