09 kx85 KIPS - advice needed

Charper732
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2016 6:56pm
I have gotten my girlfriend a 09 KX85..moving up from a klx110. This bike was a former supermini but put back to an 85 before I got it. Previous owner said the motor was done by an engine shop near by so im guessing port work was done to it.

Anyway, This bike has zero bottom end. I have to ride the piss out of the clutch to keep it in any kind of power and anything past 2nd gear..forget about it. It is barely faster than a stock klx110.

Compression is good at 150psi cold. I have the KIPS cover off now and there seems to be a good bit of play in the lever. I confirmed that the dot on the shaft is aligned correctly and the shaft does move when engine RPM is raised but the valve is not closing...there is a good 10+mm its not closing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
|
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
1/23/2016 8:48pm
Probably gonna have to pull the top end and check it out.

Did you get the parts to make it a supermini? Your gf will appreciate the bigger wheels. And there's some extra bottom end to be had from the extra displacement.
Jakes Dad
1/24/2016 12:50pm
Check the squish and make sure the 85 head is on it and not a 100 head. Squish should be around .035, this and proper jetting should be a big improvement.
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
1/25/2016 9:26am
Possibly the power valve is just gummed up with carbon and therefore not returning to fully closed at low RPM's. This would explain severe lack of bottom end power. As stated above, remove the top end and clean powervalve thoroughly and ensure proper function.
ThorsMX
1/26/2016 12:00pm
FGR01 wrote:
Possibly the power valve is just gummed up with carbon and therefore not returning to fully closed at low RPM's. This would explain severe lack of...
Possibly the power valve is just gummed up with carbon and therefore not returning to fully closed at low RPM's. This would explain severe lack of bottom end power. As stated above, remove the top end and clean powervalve thoroughly and ensure proper function.
Had a CR125 that did this, had to clean it religiously are it would stick because of Carbon build up in the exhaust linkedge that drove the valve open and closed. ran 50:1 Bel-Ray tried different oils but had same issue, just a bad design i guess from Honda that year.

What was that called Power Valve?

Bought a Pro Circuit Pipe, cured that problem

The Shop

brocsdad
1/26/2016 6:56pm
It sounds like whoever put the bike together didn't assemble the PV correctly.

If you look on the side of the PV rod under the rubber cover you will notice a dot on the shaft. The dot should be aligned with the little mark on the sidecase indicating the PV is closed. I found a pic on the net below

Take the little side cover off and look at the PV. It should be pulled to the left or in the closed position. You can remove the clip and stick your finger in the exhaust and feel the PV open and close by working the PV back and forth. When reinstalling the clip you should have to slightly force the arm over to install the clip.

Post a reply to: 09 kx85 KIPS - advice needed

The Latest