09 kx450 starting issue

Acidreamer
Alright so i have had this kx all year and it ran great with no issues. I think ive put maybe 7ish hours on it all year. I put a fresh top end in back in February. Valves are at the proper clearance.

I was riding about 2 weeks ago and the bike ran great all day and i went to ride it one last time and it wouldnt start. Brought it home, checked my valves, the timing, cleaned and oiled the filter and put a new plug in. It started right up and ran fine. Turned it off and tried to start it again a bit later and it wouldnt start. I put a new plug in and bam it started. Then the same thig happened again after i turned it off. So i put the previous plug in and it started and did the same thing. Im beyond confused. It was super dusty when i rode last so maybe the fuel injector is clogged? Im not familiar with the EFI part of the newer bikes. All i know is is when i kick it it sounds like it fires once and then nothing. Ideas?
|
10/23/2016 2:01pm
You might check to see if the fuel pump is giving the proper fuel amount and then the injector is good (clear). Is the choke mechanism working properly?
Acidreamer
10/23/2016 2:31pm
The high idle does work. So does the fuel pump. It seems like its getting gas after its turned off. Upon futher investigation i found out i can restart the bike after i turn it off if i dont wait too long. Could the throttle position sensor be out of adjustment?
Paw Paw
10/23/2016 4:45pm
The injector may have a small amount of dirt in it holding it partially open and causing a drop. That drip will cause hard starting just as if the engine was flooded. I would suggest removing the injector and cleaning it with ultra sound.
I would also suggest using a fuel filter sock in the fuel tank as the fuel coming from the gas pump can have crap in it that can work it's way to the fuel pump filter and then into the injector. That crap can cause an early death to the fuel pump as well.

Paw Paw

The Shop

Acidreamer
10/24/2016 5:50am
Paw Paw wrote:
The injector may have a small amount of dirt in it holding it partially open and causing a drop. That drip will cause hard starting just...
The injector may have a small amount of dirt in it holding it partially open and causing a drop. That drip will cause hard starting just as if the engine was flooded. I would suggest removing the injector and cleaning it with ultra sound.
I would also suggest using a fuel filter sock in the fuel tank as the fuel coming from the gas pump can have crap in it that can work it's way to the fuel pump filter and then into the injector. That crap can cause an early death to the fuel pump as well.

Paw Paw
Do you have any companies you would reccomend for ultra sound cleaning? Is it possible to use injector cleaner from lucas oil? Ive heard cleaning it like a carb is no bueno
Paw Paw
10/24/2016 5:57am
You can pick up one from Harbor Freight that is perfect for this and other cleaning projects.

Paw Paw
Acidreamer
10/29/2016 9:32am
Alright i was able to dig into this. I noticed that my fuel pump will piss gas out of that nipple where the fuel line connects to. Ive seen a forum that shows you how to disassemble the fuel pump. Im pretty certain the orings in it are bad and need replaced. However im not really familiar with pumps. Is it possible the actual pumping device went bad and doesnt stop gas from passing through? Kawasaki only sells the entire assembly for $466. I found the pump itself for $60 but id rather not buy that until i feel more confident that its the pump and not the orings.
Paw Paw
10/29/2016 9:39am
Even if the pump is an issue, the leaking fuel can only get into the engine by the injector if it's not sealing off correctly. I would strongly suggest that you still need to clean the injector.

Paw Paw

Post a reply to: 09 kx450 starting issue

The Latest