07 yz450f backfires when kick starting

lurch1140
Edited Date/Time 12/15/2013 7:28pm
I am new to the site and was hoping someone could help me out. I am working on my first 4 stroke rebuild, so here is the deal.
I bought this 07 yz450f. with a new bottom end already installed. The whole top end was shot so I bought a new cylinder piston and rings and everything that involves the valves (all OEM). the only things aftermarket engine wise is stage 2 hot cams and a full pro circuit exhaust and I also re-jetted the bike according to the PC website.

got this bad boy put together turn the gas on pull the choke give it a few kicks and it backfires dang near every kick, shooting flames out of the exhaust. every few kicks feels like it has good compression then a few more kicks feels like no compression and I get some kick back. with the choke off it does not backfire while kicking. with the choke on or off it took forever to start the timing is on point, I check the valves what seems like a million times. am I looking for a slight drag when measuring the valves? I don't have to force the thickness guage in but it also does not slide right in. maybe my math is off? got it running and the pipe glows red within 20 seconds and it will on idle with the choke off. when I hit the kill switch I get a nice little burp from the exhaust. I am at a loss here so any help would really be appreciated. thank you in advance for any responses.
|
12/11/2013 9:32pm Edited Date/Time 12/11/2013 9:33pm
lurch1140 wrote:
I am new to the site and was hoping someone could help me out. I am working on my first 4 stroke rebuild, so here is...
I am new to the site and was hoping someone could help me out. I am working on my first 4 stroke rebuild, so here is the deal.
I bought this 07 yz450f. with a new bottom end already installed. The whole top end was shot so I bought a new cylinder piston and rings and everything that involves the valves (all OEM). the only things aftermarket engine wise is stage 2 hot cams and a full pro circuit exhaust and I also re-jetted the bike according to the PC website.

got this bad boy put together turn the gas on pull the choke give it a few kicks and it backfires dang near every kick, shooting flames out of the exhaust. every few kicks feels like it has good compression then a few more kicks feels like no compression and I get some kick back. with the choke off it does not backfire while kicking. with the choke on or off it took forever to start the timing is on point, I check the valves what seems like a million times. am I looking for a slight drag when measuring the valves? I don't have to force the thickness guage in but it also does not slide right in. maybe my math is off? got it running and the pipe glows red within 20 seconds and it will on idle with the choke off. when I hit the kill switch I get a nice little burp from the exhaust. I am at a loss here so any help would really be appreciated. thank you in advance for any responses.
Pilot jet jet is clogged. Clean or replace it. I see this all the time when "Carbed" 4 strokes sit for a period of time fuel in the bowl.
That would be the first step to take. The header glowing is indication of lean on bottom (pilot jet).

Better yet, completely go through the carb and clean the heak out of it.
pete24
12/12/2013 4:58am
the header will glow on any four stroke when the choke is on , i would recheck your cam timming, but clean the carb for sure
DoctorJD
12/12/2013 5:58am
Yep, I'd start with the carb. Had the same issue with my son's 250F a while back. The bike had been sitting with gas in the float bowl (shame on me) for a while. Pulled the pilot jet and you couldn't even see through the orifices. While I had the carb apart, I replaced the main, as well. Has run like a champ ever since.
Paw Paw 271
12/12/2013 10:21am
It will also do this if the cam timing is off even one tooth. Did you replace the cam chain while in there?

The Shop

lurch1140
12/12/2013 12:47pm
Thanks for the the replies! I should have mentioned I have cleaned the carb twice already and the pilot main and leak jets are brand new. There was a "new " chain installed when I bought the bike. I'll put it apart tonight when I get home from the check the timing again and I will let y'all know
beamer
12/12/2013 1:05pm
I had a 450 Suzuki that quit running at one point and upon removing the top engine cover found that the cam timing was out. The chain was tight and everything seemed fine so we fixed the timing and with the cover still off kicked it over slowly and it suddenly would skip out again. It was the chain and after replacing with a new one it was 100%, fired right up. The old chain even looked fine, to the eye, but obviously something was wrong with it.
Paw Paw 271
12/12/2013 1:51pm
When you cleaned the carb...Did you clean the leak jet? It's the one in the bottom of the fuel bowl. This is the jet that the accelerator pump uses to get fuel into the carb and engine when you turn the throttle. With it setting at the bottom of the bowl it gets clogged very easy.
Also double check the valve clearances. It's ok for them to be a bit loose, but not any tighter than the manual tells you.
Did you check the valves for sealing when you rebuilt the top end? With the age of the bike, they could be leaking just from wear.
lumpy790
12/15/2013 7:28pm
are you new to 4 strokes? Are you possibly giving the throttle a little 2 stroke blip as you kick it?

Post a reply to: 07 yz450f backfires when kick starting

The Latest