06 yz 125 transmission oil leak

yamaha189
Edited Date/Time 8/26/2015 8:24am
Hi all, back again with some more bike problems. I bought the bike about a year and a half ago. When I went to change the oil in it after I bought it, I noticed the previous owner had cross threaded the drain bolt. I bought a helicoil and had that put in. Note: I did not put it in because I am not too mechanically inclined. All was well until this year.

Ive only had the bike out once this year which was about 2 months ago and it was in a sandy area. I got home and washed that bike and nothing was wrong. A few weeks ago, I noticed an oil puddle underneath my bike. I did some research and checked for small cracks in the case and didn't notice anything. I removed the bolt, cleaned everything up and put fresh oil in it. It started leaking oil again almost the next day. Its a fairly large amount, enough that I am not comfortable riding the bike.

I have no clue where to go from now. Maybe I missed a small crack? I think the bolt is the issue though because the oil is collecting on the end of the bolt. Again though, I am not mechanically inclined so I'm probably wrong.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.
|
yamaha189
7/7/2015 1:39pm
What can I do to fix it? I don't feel comfortable in the least running the bike with the amount of oil in the transmission.
7/10/2015 10:17am
As Above time sert is a good option. But a properly done helicoil doesnt leak with time im afraid. We use them in work daily in high compression situations, sumps etc and very few issues. Also as above a new crush washer every time you put that bolt back in and some PTFE tape you wont have a problem.
mxtech1
7/10/2015 1:31pm
Following order:

1) New washer and bolt (make sure you torque it to the right spec!)
2) Flexible sealant on the bolt threads. This will be a pain and you will have to clean it off every ride and re-apply. I'm just talking a very small amount on the threads new the flange, not on the end that sticks into the oil
3) New heli-coil
4) If all that fails, try to have a ZERT installed or look for used cases on Ebay.
DTHA70
7/13/2015 12:10pm
time sert sells a BIG SERT kit to over size tap the hole and fill it with the properly sized insert for the bolt, this is probably your best option as it will give you a big old chunk of steel for the bolt to run through and it's a solid bushing type insert so it will not leak

The Shop

8/14/2015 9:46pm
Hello, i have been suffering from same problem. My transmission is sadly leaking more and more fluid and I am pretty sure its the front seal. I would like to get an idea of how much a Transmission Shop would want to reseal it. I am toying with the idea of pulling the trans myself or just taking it to a shop. I shudder at the thought of letting a shop do any work on my XJ but if anyone knows a good place I would appreciate any recommendations.
yamaha189
8/24/2015 6:10pm
Got busy and didn't have time to try the suggestions above. After doing some looking is there a difference between the oem washer that I can order and just a typical copper washer available at a local autozone? If I go the oem route, I would order a new bolt and washer. However, if I try the autozone route I would just be getting a new washer. Just looking for some advice.
8/26/2015 8:24am
I would get the OEM stuff - otherwise, you won't know if that was the problem or not. It's not that expensive compared to the alternatives. If that fixes it, then you can check the cheap stuff later.

Post a reply to: 06 yz 125 transmission oil leak

The Latest