06 kx 85 wont shift into 3rd

mrmoto619
Edited Date/Time 7/27/2014 6:45pm
I have an 06 KX 85 that would not shift into 3rd gear I took it to a well respected mechanic who took it apart and said nothing really jumped out at him as being broken. He thought there might be a burr on the metal so he polished a few pieces put it back together and second ride same thing happened. Any ideas what to look for when he takes it apart again?
|
Jakes Dad
7/26/2014 3:36am
Look and make sure one of the powervalve governor bearings didn't fly out. They're good at crossing over into the tranny side and getting wedged in the groove of the shift drum.
pete24
7/26/2014 6:08am
Jakes Dad wrote:
Look and make sure one of the powervalve governor bearings didn't fly out. They're good at crossing over into the tranny side and getting wedged in...
Look and make sure one of the powervalve governor bearings didn't fly out. They're good at crossing over into the tranny side and getting wedged in the groove of the shift drum.
ha ha good call not many people know that, those balls fall out i unfortunalty found out the hard way
motofab36
7/26/2014 11:32am
Jakes Dad wrote:
Look and make sure one of the powervalve governor bearings didn't fly out. They're good at crossing over into the tranny side and getting wedged in...
Yep, I just saw another one of these do this in the last month.

The Shop

Camber75
7/26/2014 12:17pm
Had the power valve problem myself. Recently bought a kx125 that wouldn't shift past second, turns out the previous owner changed the oil and left the washer off the drain bolt. It was just enough to interfere with the shift forks. Take the drain bolt out & see if it shifts... Luckily I figured it out before a complete tear down!!
motofab36
7/26/2014 7:50pm
Camber75 wrote:
Had the power valve problem myself. Recently bought a kx125 that wouldn't shift past second, turns out the previous owner changed the oil and left the...
Had the power valve problem myself. Recently bought a kx125 that wouldn't shift past second, turns out the previous owner changed the oil and left the washer off the drain bolt. It was just enough to interfere with the shift forks. Take the drain bolt out & see if it shifts... Luckily I figured it out before a complete tear down!!
yep Ive seen that several times too. The shift drum is really close directly above the drain hole on the 125. The bolt will stretch a little after its reused numerous times and also the washer will get smashed and the bolt will hit the shift drum
Mickolobe7
7/27/2014 6:45pm
Jakes Dad wrote:
Either or I would put new shift forks in it since you have to break it down again!

Post a reply to: 06 kx 85 wont shift into 3rd

The Latest