'04 RMZ250 - Worth the repair?

MT MX
Edited Date/Time 8/14/2015 8:57pm
I found this 'gem' on Craigslist recently and it seems I can't get it off my mind.............I keep thinking it would be a fun winter project. My experience with 4 strokes is pretty minimal and I really have no connection to this year/model of bike. Just think it would be a fun bike to tinker on this winter. Is it worth the bother? Were these bikes any good? My conscience is telling me 'What the hell, why not?', but my checkbook is saying 'WTF?!' I wouldn't be looking to do a full restore. Just a bike to take to the track for fun or for friends to ride.
Any input would be appreciated.

http://greatfalls.craigslist.org/mpo/5095428499.html
|
JBernard_401
8/13/2015 1:25pm
i want to say the 04 rmz/kxf engine was complete garbage?

i'd stay away from it. potential $ pit for an 04 on top of that.
mxtech1
8/13/2015 1:27pm
Nope!

When you get it all done, you'll have more into it than what it's worth and they weren't even good bikes to begin with.

I wouldn't even buy that bike for parts by the condition it looks to be in.
poulinaa
8/13/2015 1:31pm Edited Date/Time 8/13/2015 1:32pm
The kawi/suzuki 250f bikes of that generation are considered by most to be some of the worst bikes ever made in the modern moto industry. Doesn't mean you can't have fun or win races on it, but there are just must better platforms to start with.
8/13/2015 3:29pm
Get the largest radiators you can, and a hi volume impeller & cover. Those bikes ran extremely hot.

Recall hearing one clunk to a stop with a deafening metallic clunk , at over 100 yards away.

Pass.

The Shop

harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
8/13/2015 5:27pm
MT MX wrote:
I found this 'gem' on Craigslist recently and it seems I can't get it off my mind.............I keep thinking it would be a fun winter project...
I found this 'gem' on Craigslist recently and it seems I can't get it off my mind.............I keep thinking it would be a fun winter project. My experience with 4 strokes is pretty minimal and I really have no connection to this year/model of bike. Just think it would be a fun bike to tinker on this winter. Is it worth the bother? Were these bikes any good? My conscience is telling me 'What the hell, why not?', but my checkbook is saying 'WTF?!' I wouldn't be looking to do a full restore. Just a bike to take to the track for fun or for friends to ride.
Any input would be appreciated.

http://greatfalls.craigslist.org/mpo/5095428499.html
I own one...and race it in GNCC. With the right parts and care in the build, the bike can be made quite reliable. As far as the price...$200 even without forks is hard to sneeze at as long as the cases aren't cracked/had a rod go through em. If you want to know how I built mine, shoot me a PM.
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
8/13/2015 6:19pm
I had the Kawi version back when they first came out. I raced it pretty hard for 2 years in the intermediate and schoolboy class at some good size races and never had a problem with it. We even ran it dry of oil at an arenacross race (clutch cover mysteriously came loose...). The motor had a reputation for stretching valves and grenading the moto so we'd check the valves every couple of months but they never got out of spec. I think the bad reputation that this bike acquired came later on as people bought them second and third hand with proper maintenance never being done.

Of course, I can only speak of my experience but I did very well on the bike back in the day and it treated me well.
Calhoun117
8/14/2015 5:52am
Fuck that man. Unless your a seasoned mechanic and know your way around that particular bike really well I'd stay far away. Your going to have so many missing peices you won't know what the hell to do. If it was all labeled and you could verify that EVERYTHING was there I'd say hello yeah. But not with the way that looks, no way.
Calhoun117
8/14/2015 8:57pm
On second thought if it's only 200$ and you wanna see if you can scrap something together to see where you stand go ahead. You'll get your money back if you just bead blast/powder coat some parts and sell them if there's not enough to start a real project. I didn't notice it was only 200$ my first post..if he only wants 200 now I'm sure he'd take 150 or even less if you bring him cash. I guarantee not many people are banging on his door..you never know maybe everything is there.. I'd say roll the dice

Post a reply to: '04 RMZ250 - Worth the repair?

The Latest