02 CR250 wrist pin wont fit in new crank

Randy_Nix
i have an 02 CR250 i just put a new crank in it and got the cases all back together and the only thing left to do is put the top end together. i bought an OEM honda crank assembly and OEM honda needle bearing, and a vertex piston and wrist pin. i very soon realized that the wrist pin wouldnt fit into the crank. i called vertex and got the measurement of the wrist pin which is .7086 and i measured exatcly, so i had them send me a vertex needle bearing to try to narrow down the problem. i just got the new needle bearing and the wrist pin still wont fit. i know its the correct crank assembly. has anybody else had this issue and can shed some light on how to resolve it? i have a horrible felling im going to have to split the cases again.
|
Paw Paw
9/24/2016 7:21pm
There were some wrist pin size changes over time in the Honda engines and thus you may either have a wrong crank /rod combo or maybe it is not and 02 engine or crank in it.
I don't have the answer as to what is correct for your engine, but others on the site will know.

Paw Paw
captmoto
9/24/2016 7:34pm
According to this, the pin fits a bunch of different models starting back in 81.
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/honda/HP-13111-KSK-730.html
Take some measurements if you can or maybe take it to a shop or decent machinist to get some measurements and see where it went wrong.
FWIW I usually put the pin in a freezer over night to get some shrinkage before I install it.
9/25/2016 12:04am Edited Date/Time 9/25/2016 12:20am
Does the pin slide through / fit the needle bearing ? Does the pin slide through / fit the piston pin bore ?

Compare the dimensions of the new pieces to your old ones. May take some guess work out of things.

Just a quick look at a Honda parts fiche shows the pin from '86 to '07 has the same dimensions. Bearing is the same dimensionally, it appears. The updates have to do with the quality of bearing over the years.
9/25/2016 12:14am
If indeed you have the 2002 oem crank,
Sounds like the piston and or pin are not for 2002.
Possibly incorrectly packaged by vertex.

If your oem bearing fits the crank and then the supplied vertex bearing fits in the crank, but the pin wont fit either it is surely the wrong pin and or piston.

Mistakes happen.

The Shop

Randy_Nix
9/25/2016 11:25am
captmoto wrote:
According to this, the pin fits a bunch of different models starting back in 81. http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/honda/HP-13111-KSK-730.html Take some measurements if you can or maybe take it...
According to this, the pin fits a bunch of different models starting back in 81.
Take some measurements if you can or maybe take it to a shop or decent machinist to get some measurements and see where it went wrong.
FWIW I usually put the pin in a freezer over night to get some shrinkage before I install it.
I am a machinist lol just don't have to proper equipment to modify the rod myself. all signs lead to the I.D. on the rod end being too small.

I thought about doing the freezer trick but im afraid that when everything warms up and the metal expands, it will create an interference fit and create too much heat. or maybe it will be just fine. I don't know

9/26/2016 1:39am
Do you have a genuine honda oem crank assembly for a 2002?
Do you have an oem needle bearing for a 2002?
How can the small end be too small?
Must be the wrong pin or piston.
40 years and i never had to freeze a piston pin!
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
9/26/2016 7:10am
captmoto wrote:
According to this, the pin fits a bunch of different models starting back in 81. http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/honda/HP-13111-KSK-730.html Take some measurements if you can or maybe take it...
Randy_Nix wrote:
I am a machinist lol just don't have to proper equipment to modify the rod myself. all signs lead to the I.D. on the rod end...
I am a machinist lol just don't have to proper equipment to modify the rod myself. all signs lead to the I.D. on the rod end being too small.

I thought about doing the freezer trick but im afraid that when everything warms up and the metal expands, it will create an interference fit and create too much heat. or maybe it will be just fine. I don't know

DO NOT use the freezer trick to make it fit. Find out which part is wrong and replace it.
captmoto
9/26/2016 9:11am
I will clarify that the frozen pin ting was to get the pin to slide through the piston.
OP, have you considered a trip to a dealer with your micrometer to check out some pins?
arvid
9/26/2016 12:58pm
captmoto wrote:
I will clarify that the frozen pin ting was to get the pin to slide through the piston. OP, have you considered a trip to a...
I will clarify that the frozen pin ting was to get the pin to slide through the piston.
OP, have you considered a trip to a dealer with your micrometer to check out some pins?
DO NOT use the freezer trick to get the pin to slide through the piston! Find the right parts problem solved.
Randy_Nix
9/27/2016 8:31am
I went to my local dealer and picked up a Honda wrist pin. if that didn't work then the crank assembly was going to come back out. luckily for me the Honda pin fit with the vertex bearing. it was a little tight but im comfortable with the way it went together. thanks for the help guys!
slipdog
9/27/2016 5:45pm
Randy_Nix wrote:
I went to my local dealer and picked up a Honda wrist pin. if that didn't work then the crank assembly was going to come back...
I went to my local dealer and picked up a Honda wrist pin. if that didn't work then the crank assembly was going to come back out. luckily for me the Honda pin fit with the vertex bearing. it was a little tight but im comfortable with the way it went together. thanks for the help guys!
Curious if you measured the OEM pin to compare to the Vertex?
Randy_Nix
9/27/2016 7:44pm
Randy_Nix wrote:
I went to my local dealer and picked up a Honda wrist pin. if that didn't work then the crank assembly was going to come back...
slipdog wrote:
Curious if you measured the OEM pin to compare to the Vertex?
vertex was .7086 and i was told the oem was .7084 but never actually measured myself. it fit so i just installed it
Randy_Nix
9/29/2016 5:57pm
the pin is still tight in the piston. ive done countless top ends and again im comfortable with the way it all went together
9/30/2016 8:27pm
Randy_Nix wrote:
the pin is still tight in the piston. ive done countless top ends and again im comfortable with the way it all went together
Sound like Vertex has got it all wrong with the piston kit.
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
10/1/2016 6:39am
Randy_Nix wrote:
Sound like Vertex has got it all wrong with the piston kit.
Not for me. Had a 06 Top end come from them this morning. Went together like butter and will have its neck rung hard shortly.

Post a reply to: 02 CR250 wrist pin wont fit in new crank

The Latest