01 CR250

wwoberg
Edited Date/Time 6/3/2015 8:40pm
This past winter I thought I was making a decent trade and ended up with a CR250. The bike ran decent in the parking lot. After I got it home, it suddenly had fits shifting. Usually locking in first gear. Long story short, finally got around to working on it and its gonna require splitting the cases.

While tearing the bike down it has been treated bad. I don't think linkages have ever been greased, random and stripped bolts throughout, bent radiators, spray painted rims, dirtiest air filter I have ever seen, chain master link was even on backwards.

I'm not the most detailed person, and debating parting the bike out instead of fixing it since it will require so much to get it running "normal". Anyone have any advice?
|
WileCyot
6/3/2015 6:10am
Well the 01 CR250 was arguably the best motor honda made. The chassis isn't bad. Don't be afraid to split the cases, it's not that hard. If you run into issues with your trans I have a spare one sitting in my garage. Hell, I have a spare motor sitting in my garage.

As for the bushings, tear those puppies out and replace with pivot works. Cheap, simple, and well worth the time. New Sprockets and chain won't be too expensive. Primary drive is the ticket.

I'd get a set of Tusk Wheels. They're cheap and strong. Weigh a little more than stock, don't get me wrong, but you won't have issues from them.

You just have to ask yourself whats your budget and goal for the bike. If it's to have one of the best 2 strokes ever made the 2001 CR250 is the ticket.
Cancerman
6/3/2015 3:23pm
It's worth fixing. It's one of the better AF L.p. Honda 250's.
wwoberg
6/3/2015 6:47pm
U guys are leaning me towards fixing it. Wheels, tires, new plastic, chain + rollers and sprockets, suspension, air filter plus 2 dozen or so of correct bolts, plus whatever the motor needs has me staring at about $1500-$2000 in parts in the garage.

Never split cases, any special tools/tricks. Don't have a manual.

The Shop

WileCyot
6/3/2015 8:40pm
Go to Rocky Mountain atv and get you a tusk case splitter and the flywheel puller. You should be good to go then. Oh a tq wrench as well.

Post a reply to: 01 CR250

The Latest