Furman Gray motocross pics

Nighttrain
9/17/2014 5:08pm
Thanks for posting this update, Heath. It's clear Furman was a great racer, good man, gone way too soon. RIP, Mr Gray.

Those old articles are awesome. I recognize some of the tracks from when I was a kid. Barry Higgins was our local hero back then.

Heath B.
Fantasy
1148th
9/17/2014 10:07pm
Here's my boy, Furman's great Nephew. I wish he was here to teach him.

Josh's first time to ride after getting him a used 2009 KX 65...not bad for 15 mins of ride time. http://youtu.be/sarh9cdlhpE

TG130
9/19/2014 9:39pm
Great pics ! Thanks for posting them.
Heath B.
Fantasy
1148th
9/19/2014 11:34pm
TG130 wrote:
Great pics ! Thanks for posting them.
Your welcome!

The Shop

Heath B.
Fantasy
1148th
9/19/2014 11:36pm
Nighttrain wrote:
Thanks for posting this update, Heath. It's clear Furman was a great racer, good man, gone way too soon. RIP, Mr Gray. Those old articles are...
Thanks for posting this update, Heath. It's clear Furman was a great racer, good man, gone way too soon. RIP, Mr Gray.

Those old articles are awesome. I recognize some of the tracks from when I was a kid. Barry Higgins was our local hero back then.

Your welcome! Wish I knew who some of these other riders are.
Larry
9/22/2014 10:54am
Heath B. wrote:
Thanks for the great pics and articles Heath.
522 who is racing with Furman in several of your pics was John Grant from Rome Georgia. He and Furman became pretty good friends while racing the Winter Am series in Florida. John was living in California working for one of the tire companies in their road race division . Unfortunately several years ago he was hit and killed by a car while crossing the street in San Francisco I think.

In the picture where With three riders and a trophy girl that is Mark Barnett Standing to Furman's left. looks like the trophy presentation from one of the Winter Am events.

103 is either Mark Ashworth from South Carolina or Marvin McDaniel from Georgia.
Heath B.
Fantasy
1148th
9/22/2014 1:41pm
Heath B. wrote:
Larry wrote:
Thanks for the great pics and articles Heath. 522 who is racing with Furman in several of your pics was John Grant from Rome Georgia. He...
Thanks for the great pics and articles Heath.
522 who is racing with Furman in several of your pics was John Grant from Rome Georgia. He and Furman became pretty good friends while racing the Winter Am series in Florida. John was living in California working for one of the tire companies in their road race division . Unfortunately several years ago he was hit and killed by a car while crossing the street in San Francisco I think.

In the picture where With three riders and a trophy girl that is Mark Barnett Standing to Furman's left. looks like the trophy presentation from one of the Winter Am events.

103 is either Mark Ashworth from South Carolina or Marvin McDaniel from Georgia.
Thanks Larry,
You've been a huge help. So much I never knew about Furman's racing days. My parents would tell a lot, but it was always hard on everyone because of him walking away. He left the track way too early. Can't say I wouldn't of done the same in his situation.
In the pic you spoke of, Furman and the other two all have a silver cup. I have that cup put up somewhere. I need to find it and see what it says. I really miss him and my grandparents. I believe I missed out on my true calling by not racing. I'll never know if I could of been good or not, but I do know it was a burning passion that still is in me today. I like anyone could open a bike up out in the open, I'll never know what it took to rip into a corner and back out or nail a big jump. Never got to try due to respect of my parents. But for some reason I feel it was inside me to this day, and I'm 40 y/o. That's why I like Adam C. on the 250's today. He talks about his passion for racing. I never got the chance. So my dreams have always been looked back on through Furman. I believe I'm the only one in the family next to my son, who loves MX/SX.
The last thing Larry, just learned last night while getting his things in order for that event, is that Furman was just "15" when he raced Anaheim. He was born Dec. 31, 1959 and raced Anaheim according to his pass on Dec. 13, 1975. If my adding a not wrong, he was still just 15. Thanks Larry
bobbyd455
12/23/2015 6:07pm
R.I.P. Furman
Very sad to learn of his passing.
The photos, articles and posts bring back fond memories.
The Youtube footage from Unadilla 1977 is classic !!!!!
Time sure passes fast.
Heath B.
Fantasy
1148th
12/24/2015 6:06am
Thanks Bobby for sharing. It's hard not having him around, especially around Christmas for me. I was Furman's 1st nephew and was taken all over with him from 1974 when I was born, until he quit after the wreck at the 1979 Fl. AMA's. So I grew close to him growing up. Before he passed we did a lot of fishing together. He then really took to my son Josh. They had a big camp trip planned before he passed. So when it happen it was hard on my boy as well. But Furman was doing good. He had recently been saved and loves the Lord Jesus. He was also selling and dealing in Case knives as well as repairing old rusty knives for people. This photo was of a fishing trip a couple of years before he passed. Thanks again and have a blessed and Merry Christmas, Heath.

Post a reply to: Furman Gray motocross pics

The Latest