4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

who remembers plastic MX boots

garyjamesswitzer

C100_fb_picture_1628852360

Posts: 1

Joined: 3/23/2013

Location: GBR

3/23/2013 9:28 AM



My M Robert plastic boots at hawkstone park 1982 490 maico

newmann

C100_614585238_1207253287

Posts: 14049

Joined: 4/1/2008

Location: USA

3/23/2013 10:05 AM

Cool photo, good style points on the riding style and fashion points! Then there were the Heckels, Scotts and one other brand wasn't there? Nava???

Sad thing is that as bad as some of those boots were, look where we've ended up. Mostly plastic again.

vet323

C100_copy_of_41913

Posts: 2851

Joined: 7/31/2010

Location: Lead, SD USA

3/23/2013 12:35 PM

My Scott boots were totally awesome!







Until I tried to ride with them.

Wandell

C100_115999170_1229546211

Posts: 3701

Joined: 12/17/2008

Location: Cairo, USA

3/23/2013 8:06 PM

I also had a pair of those M. Robert plastic boots! I really liked them. They were lightweight, had some airflow so they were cool and you could actually "feel" the bike in them since they were made from a slightly softer plastic than the Scotts. I once tried a set of Scott boots and I couldn't even feel the pegs!
The Heckles were a little before my time but I remember MXL plastic boots in the early 1980's.

CamP

C100_139826380_1291095094

Posts: 6712

Joined: 8/16/2006

Location: Colleyville, TX USA

3/23/2013 11:02 PM

I had Scott's and didn't know had bad they were until I started using my brother's Esprit boots.

Bret

C100_wheelie

Posts: 437

Joined: 8/10/2008

Location: Irvine, CA USA

3/25/2013 10:02 AM

MXL boots were basically ski boots, absolutely no feel. I would stall the bike nearly every time I tried to use the back brake without the clutch. When I broke the shift shaft on this Maico, I got rid of the boots.

Bret Bonham

American Retrocross

DoctorJD

C100_hannah1979usgp_1382640934

Posts: 1310

Joined: 4/1/2008

Location: Somewhere in..., GA USA

3/25/2013 1:09 PM

I had a pair of Scott boots back in the day. Definitely a unique feel on the bike, I think I rode one season with them and went back to High Points.

"I mean honestly, up-and-coming riders? I'd just advise them to quit, cuz' they'll never be as good as me." Ronnie Mac

BVS40FL

C100_gatorback_19810001

Posts: 107

Joined: 6/23/2009

Location: Tampa, FL USA

3/25/2013 1:13 PM

Dem Scott boots were the DEBIL !!!!

Torn MCL and ACL without even crashing.

Back in the day when I was racing......

Tim507

C100_phpg1iqsvam_1390067275

Posts: 1484

Joined: 6/8/2010

Location: Stayton, OR USA

3/25/2013 6:48 PM

Still have pair of Scott Boots.......will post a picture when I get a chance.....

Germany 1975 250 CZ Centerport, laydown shocks, mikuni with reed valve, Maracohci forks with me as the motopilot

EastFlorida

C100_10712542_820455424653234_2541735517967848221_o_1411700302

Posts: 1681

Joined: 7/31/2010

Location: Edgewater, FL USA

3/26/2013 7:40 AM

I rode with Scott after dislocating an ankle. Then I went to the M.Roberts. They were softer and you could feel the brake and shifter better.

I guess I was lucky with my Scott boots and never had a knee injury...

2012 KTM 300 XC
2013-2014 Sponsors:
Just 1 Helmets, Motorex Lubricants, EngineIce, Atlas Neck Braces, Gaerne, Scott, Sunstar, Pit Posse, Twin Air, Rekluse, Acerbis USA,
Daytona Dirt Riders (DDR)
Floridatrailriders.org (FTR)

CamP

C100_139826380_1291095094

Posts: 6712

Joined: 8/16/2006

Location: Colleyville, TX USA

3/26/2013 8:56 AM

Scott boots sucked, but they didn't cause knee injuries.

Reese95w

C100_vital_pic_1385928425

Posts: 2963

Joined: 2/7/2011

Location: Kent, WA USA

3/27/2013 5:33 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/27/2013 5:46 AM

Don't forget the Heckel boots!
As I recall Harry Everts used these boots and maybe Jim Pomeroy?

“Adhering to 1970’s Standards of Political Correctness”

Dick Trickle

C100_dick_trickle

Posts: 36

Joined: 2/21/2013

Location: AUS

3/27/2013 6:02 AM

I had a plastic set of boots in 1981 by Vendramini. They were all the rage for a season or two. Could not feel anything in them and broke my leg riding one of the worst bikes ever made. The shitbox CR125R 1981. So there i am on the first water cooled Honda which was a pile of crap and i had what felt like two buckets on my feet. What chance did i have!!

Reese95w

C100_vital_pic_1385928425

Posts: 2963

Joined: 2/7/2011

Location: Kent, WA USA

3/27/2013 6:45 AM

Dick Trickle wrote: I had a plastic set of boots in 1981 by Vendramini. They were all the rage for a season or two. Could not feel anything in them and broke my leg riding one of the worst bikes ever made. The shitbox CR125R 1981. So there i am on the first water cooled Honda which was a pile of crap and i had what felt like two buckets on my feet. What chance did i have!!

"Not Feeling Anything" is not unique to plastic boots. I bought a set of Sidi Crossfires a few years ago and could not feel anything. I never got use to them and got rid of them for a loss.

“Adhering to 1970’s Standards of Political Correctness”

reded

C100_bailey_gainesville85_001

Posts: 1948

Joined: 3/26/2011

Location: KS, USA

3/27/2013 7:45 AM

Dick Trickle wrote: I had a plastic set of boots in 1981 by Vendramini. They were all the rage for a season or two. Could not feel anything in them and broke my leg riding one of the worst bikes ever made. The shitbox CR125R 1981. So there i am on the first water cooled Honda which was a pile of crap and i had what felt like two buckets on my feet. What chance did i have!!

Reese95w wrote: "Not Feeling Anything" is not unique to plastic boots. I bought a set of Sidi Crossfires a few years ago and could not feel anything. I never got use to them and got rid of them for a loss.

My dad had a pair of Vendraminis back in the early 80's. I made fun of the ugly sumbitches all of the time. They finally fell apart which led to more jokes....

Reese I hear ya....when the Tech8's came out I retired my Tech7's and bought the latest and greatest. I don't know if it was the bootie or what but I couldn't feel anything in those boots. I switched to Gaerne after that and couldn't be happier.

BVS40FL

C100_gatorback_19810001

Posts: 107

Joined: 6/23/2009

Location: Tampa, FL USA

3/27/2013 11:20 AM

CamP wrote: Scott boots sucked, but they didn't cause knee injuries.

You will NEVER convince me of that .

Back in the day when I was racing......

CamP

C100_139826380_1291095094

Posts: 6712

Joined: 8/16/2006

Location: Colleyville, TX USA

3/27/2013 11:32 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/27/2013 11:43 AM

CamP wrote: Scott boots sucked, but they didn't cause knee injuries.

BVS40FL wrote: You will NEVER convince me of that .

One magazine mentioned that Scott boots cause knee injuries and it became truth. Whomever penned that op-ed didn't understand the mechanism that causes blown ACL's.

ACL's are blown by twisting your foot outward, which twists your tib/fib, and dislocates your knee with enough force. For a MX boot to contribute to that action, it would have to be rigidly attached to your tib/fib, which it is not. MX boots hug loose skin and muscle, so they can't significantly contribute to that twisting action. Wrap your hands around your calf and twist. You'll find that you can easily twist the skin and muscle 90 degrees in either direction.

The only way a boot can contribute to knee injuries is by adding weight to the foot box. A heavier boot adds inertia to the twisting action and Scott boots were light compared to some of the over-armored boots of today.

Mr. G

C100_96611640_1265468041

Posts: 4608

Joined: 12/23/2009

Location: Orange, CA USA

3/27/2013 5:24 PM

I have both Scott boots and alpinestar boots and the Scoots boots while giving no feel of pegs etc. actually allow the ankle to rotate more freely.

Tim507

C100_phpg1iqsvam_1390067275

Posts: 1484

Joined: 6/8/2010

Location: Stayton, OR USA

3/27/2013 5:25 PM

Tim507 wrote: Still have pair of Scott Boots.......will post a picture when I get a chance.....

Germany 1975 250 CZ Centerport, laydown shocks, mikuni with reed valve, Maracohci forks with me as the motopilot

lostboy819

C100_bobhannahusgp_1378419188

Posts: 4947

Joined: 8/16/2006

Location: CO, USA

3/27/2013 9:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/27/2013 9:34 PM

I had two pairs of Scott boots, the red and blue and then the rare moto x fox red and yellow boots. I had a foot injury and when ever I landed from a jump it hurt my feet, I got my first pair of scott boots and they were great,no more sore feet. It only took one ride and I had no problems with them. all I did was raise the shifter and they were good to go. I wore them until they were discontinued.







Ed Johnson

Mr. G

C100_96611640_1265468041

Posts: 4608

Joined: 12/23/2009

Location: Orange, CA USA

3/27/2013 10:35 PM

And hey you could land off of ANYTHING and it wouldn't hurt. Great pics by the way.

lostboy819

C100_bobhannahusgp_1378419188

Posts: 4947

Joined: 8/16/2006

Location: CO, USA

3/27/2013 10:59 PM

Remember when they thought that the smaller the foot pegs the better ? No wonder all us old guys have foot problems today.

Ed Johnson

lostboy819

C100_bobhannahusgp_1378419188

Posts: 4947

Joined: 8/16/2006

Location: CO, USA

3/27/2013 11:03 PM

Here is a pic at my home track in Ponca City. that is Dennis Daft on #112 and I am on #19 I went 1-2 and he went 2-1
There are several other old Okies in the pic.

Ed Johnson

CamP

C100_139826380_1291095094

Posts: 6712

Joined: 8/16/2006

Location: Colleyville, TX USA

3/27/2013 11:21 PM

lostboy819 wrote: Here is a pic at my home track in Ponca City. that is Dennis Daft on #112 and I am on #19 I went 1-2 and he went 2-1
There are several other old Okies in the pic.

I attended a Bailey school with Daft at Lake Whitney in '81. He was a good rider.

Dick Trickle

C100_dick_trickle

Posts: 36

Joined: 2/21/2013

Location: AUS

3/27/2013 11:23 PM

Dick Trickle wrote: I had a plastic set of boots in 1981 by Vendramini. They were all the rage for a season or two. Could not feel anything in them and broke my leg riding one of the worst bikes ever made. The shitbox CR125R 1981. So there i am on the first water cooled Honda which was a pile of crap and i had what felt like two buckets on my feet. What chance did i have!!

Reese95w wrote: "Not Feeling Anything" is not unique to plastic boots. I bought a set of Sidi Crossfires a few years ago and could not feel anything. I never got use to them and got rid of them for a loss.

reded wrote: My dad had a pair of Vendraminis back in the early 80's. I made fun of the ugly sumbitches all of the time. They finally fell apart which led to more jokes....

Reese I hear ya....when the Tech8's came out I retired my Tech7's and bought the latest and greatest. I don't know if it was the bootie or what but I couldn't feel anything in those boots. I switched to Gaerne after that and couldn't be happier.

Thats funny guys. Went i got back into MX in the vets classes i got a set of tech 7's. Good boot but couldnt change gears without using my whole leg as there was no movement in the ankle. Now i have a set of Sidi Crossfires and i really like them. I can actually change gear with the ankle flex and i can feel my toe under the lever. Ive heard the Gaernes are really good.

BVS40FL

C100_gatorback_19810001

Posts: 107

Joined: 6/23/2009

Location: Tampa, FL USA

3/28/2013 6:48 AM

CamP wrote: Scott boots sucked, but they didn't cause knee injuries.

BVS40FL wrote: You will NEVER convince me of that .

CamP wrote: One magazine mentioned that Scott boots cause knee injuries and it became truth. Whomever penned that op-ed didn't understand the mechanism that causes blown ACL's.

ACL's are blown by twisting your foot outward, which twists your tib/fib, and dislocates your knee with enough force. For a MX boot to contribute to that action, it would have to be rigidly attached to your tib/fib, which it is not. MX boots hug loose skin and muscle, so they can't significantly contribute to that twisting action. Wrap your hands around your calf and twist. You'll find that you can easily twist the skin and muscle 90 degrees in either direction.

The only way a boot can contribute to knee injuries is by adding weight to the foot box. A heavier boot adds inertia to the twisting action and Scott boots were light compared to some of the over-armored boots of today.

My main injury was the MCL or Medial Collateral Ligament that runs down the inside of the knee. This ligament keeps the knee joint from bending sideways one direction . The LCL or Lateral Collateral Ligament that runs down the outside of the knee prevents it from bending sideways the other direction. The ACL was torn by the extreme sideways bending allowed as the MCL tore . My belief is that the limited side to side movent at the ankle joint that the Scott boots allowed was the reason my knee bent at the next available spot above the boot when I pulled my stupid , last lap, last corner, attempt at blasting through the corner without letting off the throttle. 100 % my fault , no doubt, but to this day I don't think I would have had as extensive of an injury , if any , if I had been wearing my Highpoints.
P.S. not trying to argue with you but.... that's my opinion .

Back in the day when I was racing......

lostboy819

C100_bobhannahusgp_1378419188

Posts: 4947

Joined: 8/16/2006

Location: CO, USA

3/28/2013 8:49 AM

CamP wrote: I attended a Bailey school with Daft at Lake Whitney in '81. He was a good rider.

He rode a few nationals and then ran into some trouble and quit racing. Not sure what kind of trouble he had because it was long after I moved to Colorado.

Ed Johnson

Dropbear

C100_cr500ss

Posts: 730

Joined: 5/7/2008

Location: Gosford, AUS

3/29/2013 1:49 PM

Heckels and Jofama shin guards - No leg injuries so must have worked!

lumpy790

C100_image_1388949757

Posts: 4383

Joined: 9/18/2007

Location: York, SC USA

4/1/2013 7:39 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/1/2013 7:44 AM

Reese95w wrote: Don't forget the Heckel boots!
As I recall Harry Everts used these boots and maybe Jim Pomeroy?

went from Heckel to Scott boots



mb60

C100_untitled

Posts: 148

Joined: 3/7/2010

Location: Grapevine, TX USA

4/1/2013 3:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/1/2013 3:10 PM

CamP wrote: I had Scott's and didn't know had bad they were until I started using my brother's Esprit boots.

By the looks of the picture Cam. You are running in 7th or 8th place at Mosier Valley circa 1981. LOL
Post a Reply to: who remembers plastic MX boots

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm