top riders of fla from 76-81

Edited Date/Time 2/2/2018 3:32pm
the florida winter am series really showed how good fla riders were as pros and amatuers would come down every yr to battle local guys like kippy pierce , steve martin, harold buckingham,monte mccoy, and top amatuers like joey cartier,mark murphy,freddy van wagganor, todd hemp stead, karl jordan, rocky folsom and there were many others , tracks like sunshine mx, orlando, cocoa beach, were the roughest sand tracks ever, but i really enjoyed chicken farm mx , the mini os started there the outdoor nationals at st pete in august were brutal but i grew up in fla and was like this isnt hot ha ha ,
|
JOHN CHOATE
12/1/2009 7:11pm
I looked up to, and was friends with, most of the names you mention. Those were great days and Fla. did and continues to produce some awesome mx talent. Your avatar picture looks like it could have been St. Pete. Welcome to Vital Cool
12/1/2009 9:42pm
The Florida MX scene in the 70's was big. The very first Mini Olympics were held at North Florida raceway in Palm Valley (Jacksonville) in 1973. Pat Ray owned the track. MX, with a nice limestone 1/4 mile flat track in the infield, and miles of woods for the Hare Scramble event. First time I ever saw Jeff Ward in Florida. Mike Brown was also there on the Indian's. They also held a round of the Winter-Am there for a few years.

FlashptA10
12/2/2009 5:33am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:14pm
There is a race this weekend at The Sunshine MX St. Pete. Same general location not the same track. Florida Vintage MX. FLVMX.com
I am trying to get my new trailer rigged but may not be done in time.
I raced back in the 70's but was no match for those guys mentioned.
They were very fast in the sand and always had the best equiptment, but i am still out there on occassion LOL
Kevin Politte
Heres one of my bikes now and another fast guy not mentioned from south Fla.
Jimmy King
Jimmy King
DG racer1
BVS40FL
12/2/2009 7:51am
When I first went to watch races at Sunshine (75-76), I remember some fast guys like
Jim Haynes, John Joyner,John Calathes, Joey Gratton.

The Shop

12/2/2009 8:20am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:14pm
One of the most memorable riders I saw at Sunshine was Don Kudalski in '74. He was on the Rokon 340 automatic, putting it to everyone. The Suzuki team was there with Mike Runyard and Rich Thorwaldson on those trick RH's, but Rokon Don showed 'em what was up that day. He was from Coral Springs.

Jim Haynes was also know to make a stop now and then at the Bronze Buzzard raceway in Tampa. You know where I'm talking about, BVS40FL. Those sprint cars got the best of him, though. RIP Jim Haynes and Freddie Van Wagoner.
FlashptA10
12/2/2009 10:14am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:14pm
Speaking of Don
Here is a shot of him wheelie across the finish line on his Honda ride 1976.

Hyatt Cycle park 1976

And Here is a shot of Joey Gratton
Joey Gratton
JOHN CHOATE
12/2/2009 7:11pm
If I were able to post pictures on here, I have a photo of me sitting on Joey's YZ during the Winter-Ams at Clewiston. I used to really look up to Joey and even got to ride to the track with him on several occasions. I'd get to the track and feel like a big shot getting out of his vehicle.
andymoto
12/2/2009 11:37pm
Killer Kudalski was a bad mofo and think factory Honda mainly in '500s.

Calathes, Gratton, Joyner remember. And end yr or early next was Fla Winter Series that was a huge series in them days and prep for Nat series and any SXs.

FlashptA10
12/3/2009 5:11am
Hey John
I post pics on Photobucket.com
Then u can link them to this site.
I wish my family would have taken more pics back then.
They only had a cheap instamatic camera and was more concered about watching the race than taking alot of pics.
Just think of the [ics we could of had if we had the digital cameras of today
Kevin Politte
NY MX
12/3/2009 4:35pm
How about Shane Leblanc?
12/4/2009 12:02am Edited Date/Time 12/4/2009 12:27am
NY MX wrote:
How about Shane Leblanc?
#268 Suzuki rider.

Jeff Hope, Tim Ealy, Doug Longwell, John Collins, Frank Thomas, John Olten, Keith Perry, Brian Ward, Keith Olerich, Jim Pinner, Kevin Foley, Dan Farley, Steve Martin, Dennis Huffstutler, Brad Boger, Dan Schmit, Todd Shirah, Kenny Smith, Vince DeVane, Glen Lofley, Barry Ferrell, are more of some of Florida's A/Pro riders from the '70's-'80's.
12/4/2009 7:00am
to project racer,
i knew some fo the guys you mentioned, like keith perry out of orlando, along with brian ward. i knew a ricky pinner and keith olerich along with mark murphy, were some of joey cartiers main comp. in the sr mini class in 1976. steve martin and joey cartier we all went to dixie hollins high school together. and kenny smith i think he was from hudson ,fl . but one yr think it was 76 we raced the nml series and kenny smith won the 100 class of that series, we used to bring a racer with us his name was rocky brunette , he won the 175 class that yr . and frank thomas , isnt he jason thomas,s (jt$)dad?
i called joey the other night, and asked him about monte mccoy, and he said he hasnt talked with monte in yrs, but another guy we knew does his name is buzzy germony,
i did know keven foley, and i seen and talked with him one yr at lorrettas. i didnt know vince devane but have heard of him for sure
Tbteam
12/4/2009 9:03am
No mention of Robert Westerman anywhere? Damn! Robert came out last season and raced one of my old Elsinores.

Tim Ealy came out and raced with our FLVMX group two weeks ago an an old Yam 465. He KILLED it on that thing. Lot's of very fast guys still hanging around.
12/4/2009 9:17am
to Tbteam,
i do remember robert westerman, not sure about tim ealy there was so many racers and im digging thru the cobwebs(of my brain lol) trying to remember so if i missed any other top racers sorry, but thats why i posted this to see what other riders people remember. i do remember robert westerman at a mini os race at chicken farm 76? or 77 and i think he was sponsered by fmf or dg at that time
12/5/2009 4:23am
Oldschool, Rocky Brunette ended up wrenching for Steve Martin around '77-'78, in the Yamaha support program/Cycle Springs Yamaha days. Same shop Ron Tichenor rode for in his early minicycle days.
BVS40FL
12/5/2009 6:05am
Anyone remember Danny Adams?
Robert Gordon ?
Stan Yabczanka ?
Freddie Little ?
floridaflash
12/5/2009 8:34am
I new Danny Adams well, I don't think I know any of the others, I raced from 73 till about 81, there was a lot of talent back in the old days
12/5/2009 11:07am
BVS40FL wrote:
Anyone remember Danny Adams?
Robert Gordon ?
Stan Yabczanka ?
Freddie Little ?
We used to call Adams the "Professor". Raced Gordie a number of times. Stan was fast, worked at Cahill's for a good while. I never knew Fred, but worked with his brother Wally for about 10 years driving trucks for the Tampa Tribune. I believe Fred rode the very first Daytona Supercross in '71 ,back when it was held by the infield lake. (Lake Lloyd?).

How about Arthur North? Hank Stone? Ronnie and Robbie White? Bob Allison. Greg and Doug Kolonia. Pat Post. Christine Cummings. Bill French. Kenny Maycroft. Jay Rhodes. Bruce Buerk. Mark Cassels. Rhett Gerzel. John McCabe. Jeff Fisher. Tracey and Jimmy Brooks. Beannie Cummerford. Greg Gordon. Mark and Carl Johnson. Robert Noa. Ken Johnson. Mark Sharp. Conrad Eigenman. Brad and Kurt Kadau. Stan Perry. Scott Lorenz. Gene Maxwell. Malcolm Quehl. Frank Ligouri. Mike Shuman. Tim and Bob Buffaloe. Tom and Dave Wagner. Brian McElroy. Greg Porter.

Damn, I got a headache now. But memories of all these guys is worth it.
JOHN CHOATE
12/6/2009 11:51am
Oldschool, Rocky Brunette ended up wrenching for Steve Martin around '77-'78, in the Yamaha support program/Cycle Springs Yamaha days. Same shop Ron Tichenor rode for in...
Oldschool, Rocky Brunette ended up wrenching for Steve Martin around '77-'78, in the Yamaha support program/Cycle Springs Yamaha days. Same shop Ron Tichenor rode for in his early minicycle days.
I'm pretty sure Tichenor's dad owned CSY.
BVS40FL
12/7/2009 9:57am
Charlie Norwood ?
Donnie Delgado ?
Greg Cecil ?
Russ Human ?
Tony Dayton ?
JOHN CHOATE
12/8/2009 5:59pm
I don't think anyone mentioned Kevin Foley. His time might have been more towards the mid-eighties, though.
FlashptA10
12/10/2009 5:43am
Yes Kevin Foley was around 70's 80's 90's and I saw not long ago his name at a vet race. Maybe Glen Helen.
He even rode for our shop on Cagiva's support ride 1988
Along with a few others
Alan Andrew,Tom Rice, Tim Ealy, Brian McElroy, Vince Devane, Doug Solether
all were given bikes to compete in Florida Winter series and a few nationals and supercross races.
McElroy took a second at Daytona SX and won races at the winter series
Action Sport Cycles Fort Lauderdale
Kevin Politte
FlashptA10
12/10/2009 5:57am
I have to say ive been around MX since my first race in 1973 Miami Hollywood speedway on a Hodaka Bt/super rat wanna be.
Been around most of the names mentioned either raced with or watched them grow from mini;s to 125's to 250's to open class to AM/Pro's to Full factory Pro's
Wish I had taken more pics

1/21/2010 11:46am
I saw this site and thought hey, i know everyone these folks are talking about. I raced from 75-82, normally sponsored by Cycle Springs or Barney's, til i got with Team Green. But it is great to see "old" folks can still remember the good days down in FLA. I was living through my brother Tony until he got hurt in 1991 at Brooksville. Still go to most Supercross and some outdoors when time permits.

#43 Mickey Haynes
1/21/2010 3:35pm
welcome Mickey Haynes, im not sure i knew you back then, but ive heard of your brother Tony Haynes for sure , 259 was tonys old # and JS also used it in his honor , i think?
anyways cool you mentioned Barneys Yamaha, and Cycle Springs Yamaha, i knew the people from both and also from Sunshine Cycle Suzuki, tri city honda, hub cycles of pinellas park, honda of st pete, and al lanes kawasakii have a small photo album of pics im going to slowly post.
mxr203,
L.G.
1/21/2010 4:06pm
I saw this site and thought hey, i know everyone these folks are talking about. I raced from 75-82, normally sponsored by Cycle Springs or Barney's...
I saw this site and thought hey, i know everyone these folks are talking about. I raced from 75-82, normally sponsored by Cycle Springs or Barney's, til i got with Team Green. But it is great to see "old" folks can still remember the good days down in FLA. I was living through my brother Tony until he got hurt in 1991 at Brooksville. Still go to most Supercross and some outdoors when time permits.

#43 Mickey Haynes
I remember you , Mickey. Used to see you and your brother Rudy a lot at the old Golden Eagles track in Tampa. E.C. Birt RM 50's and 60's. #43? Cool to hear from you, man.
croom mx
1/23/2010 9:42am
#268 Suzuki rider. Jeff Hope, Tim Ealy, Doug Longwell, John Collins, Frank Thomas, John Olten, Keith Perry, Brian Ward, Keith Olerich, Jim Pinner, Kevin Foley, Dan...
#268 Suzuki rider.

Jeff Hope, Tim Ealy, Doug Longwell, John Collins, Frank Thomas, John Olten, Keith Perry, Brian Ward, Keith Olerich, Jim Pinner, Kevin Foley, Dan Farley, Steve Martin, Dennis Huffstutler, Brad Boger, Dan Schmit, Todd Shirah, Kenny Smith, Vince DeVane, Glen Lofley, Barry Ferrell, are more of some of Florida's A/Pro riders from the '70's-'80's.
The fastest Florida riders during this time were John Reinholt, Kenny Keylon and Steve Martin and Todd Hempstead who got hurt.
1/23/2010 10:16am
#268 Suzuki rider. Jeff Hope, Tim Ealy, Doug Longwell, John Collins, Frank Thomas, John Olten, Keith Perry, Brian Ward, Keith Olerich, Jim Pinner, Kevin Foley, Dan...
#268 Suzuki rider.

croom mx wrote:
The fastest Florida riders during this time were John Reinholt, Kenny Keylon and Steve Martin and Todd Hempstead who got hurt.
Well aware of that, dude. Just mentioning some of the other names that were a common site at the races when District 8 was somewhat organized.
croom mx
1/23/2010 2:14pm
#268 Suzuki rider.

croom mx wrote:
Well aware of that, dude. Just mentioning some of the other names that were a common site at the races when District 8 was somewhat organized.
I agree, I am glad that you brought up these old names. Brings back alot of memories.
ASHLEY T
1/23/2010 4:49pm
Mickey H aynes, I have not heard your name in years. My family and yours camped out together i think we were in Virgina. I just remember your dad telling tony he was going to get a speeding ticket, Keith and I still talk about that. Ashley Turpin

Post a reply to: top riders of fla from 76-81

The Latest