old Maryland photos

63MX1
11/17/2013 4:17pm

Thanks for comments, love those days.......... Big Berm winning the 125 C Class #768 my first zip code number........
63MX1
11/17/2013 4:22pm

Big Berm 125 C Class, me #768, going into the new "wooded back section" which I loved that new part of the track. Can't remember the guy chasing me, he was a black dude and he always wore a BC Racing jersey and had some nice mods on his bike. I remember he was pretty fast too.........
63MX1
11/17/2013 4:27pm Edited Date/Time 11/17/2013 4:29pm

Me winning the Big Berm Maryland State Championship in the 125 B Class in 1979. Classic Yamaha jersey on while racing my RM, hitting the big uphill double while doing old school 'cross up". That was a fun jump! (Jeff Lanahan under tree with cowboy hat)
63MX1
11/17/2013 4:35pm

Another of the uphill double at Big Berm, me jumping on left side (#225) place was funny during practice with everyone trying to get nerves up to hit it. It was easier to jump it over on the right, but someone was hogging my line, lol.

The Shop

Jeff Streett
11/17/2013 5:06pm
RBrider wrote:
Thanks for the photo's, Helge. I enjoy seeing and reading most anything from the old D 7. A friend of mine just gave me some slides...
Thanks for the photo's, Helge. I enjoy seeing and reading most anything from the old D 7.

A friend of mine just gave me some slides that I'm working on getting on disc. Had to get a copyright release or they'd already be done. If they're any good, I'll post them.

Jeff, I feel like I should know you. Did you travel to the races with a friend that raced a 400/450 Maico? Did you guys race Budd's Creek often? I recall a couple Maico guys from up your way that always traveled together.

Your m/x time line pretty closely matches mine and my buddy I traveled with.

This CRC (Can't remember crap) is the pits, sometimes. Sad

RB
The guys we typically pitted with were Tim Hopkins, Al Albiker, MArk Lambert in the later days when he got started in MX.
Went to school with Steve Taylor, his brother Glen was a few years behind us.
It was the years the Boutwells, Mike Bell, Jeff Lanahan, George Cavanaugh, Brian Savage, and a bunch of others were active.

Budds Creek, My favorite track. More trophies from there then anywhere else. Back when Johns Mother was running it and John was "helping" her. :-)

I'll have to post more photos sometime. I have over a thousand in albums.
Basum Farm when Gary Bailey came to race and Bobby Norris was VERY HOT and beat Gary.
Gary brought David to Big Berm and David was riding an Ossa.
Lake Sugar Tree when David Bailey was getting hot and coming into his prime.
Antietam when Greg Boutwell stood behind the the guy having the riders meeting, not moving or saying a word, in a Darth Vader's costume.

Memories, good times!

Jeff

motogrady
11/17/2013 5:28pm
You have pics of Basum's when Norris beat Bailey?

Dayum.

Put those suckers up if you could, that's one of the best races, ever.
Jeff Streett
11/17/2013 6:02pm Edited Date/Time 11/17/2013 7:31pm
I'll look. Not sure I could even afford a camera back then but I may have had one.

Now a days I have a camera with me 99.9% of the time.

Gary was the Second Coming back then.

Gary was so impressed with Bobby that he asked Bobby to go to Peru with him racing.
I believe I have that story correct.
Someone can confirm or correct.

Here is a thread discussing that day.
http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Old-School-Moto,22/Any-Bultaco-fans,11011…
RBrider
11/18/2013 3:32am
RBrider wrote:
Thanks for the photo's, Helge. I enjoy seeing and reading most anything from the old D 7. A friend of mine just gave me some slides...
Thanks for the photo's, Helge. I enjoy seeing and reading most anything from the old D 7.

A friend of mine just gave me some slides that I'm working on getting on disc. Had to get a copyright release or they'd already be done. If they're any good, I'll post them.

Jeff, I feel like I should know you. Did you travel to the races with a friend that raced a 400/450 Maico? Did you guys race Budd's Creek often? I recall a couple Maico guys from up your way that always traveled together.

Your m/x time line pretty closely matches mine and my buddy I traveled with.

This CRC (Can't remember crap) is the pits, sometimes. Sad

RB
The guys we typically pitted with were Tim Hopkins, Al Albiker, MArk Lambert in the later days when he got started in MX. Went to school...
The guys we typically pitted with were Tim Hopkins, Al Albiker, MArk Lambert in the later days when he got started in MX.
Went to school with Steve Taylor, his brother Glen was a few years behind us.
It was the years the Boutwells, Mike Bell, Jeff Lanahan, George Cavanaugh, Brian Savage, and a bunch of others were active.

Budds Creek, My favorite track. More trophies from there then anywhere else. Back when Johns Mother was running it and John was "helping" her. :-)

I'll have to post more photos sometime. I have over a thousand in albums.
Basum Farm when Gary Bailey came to race and Bobby Norris was VERY HOT and beat Gary.
Gary brought David to Big Berm and David was riding an Ossa.
Lake Sugar Tree when David Bailey was getting hot and coming into his prime.
Antietam when Greg Boutwell stood behind the the guy having the riders meeting, not moving or saying a word, in a Darth Vader's costume.

Memories, good times!

Jeff

I was there that day that David showed up at Big Berm. He was only , maybe, 15 yrs old. I was in his moto's, so I would have thought he was on an open class bike. I had a early twin shock 250 YZ for a while, too, so it could have been the 250 class.

I raced a 3 hour HS at Trailsways one winter in the 250 A class on that YZ. It was a perfect layout for a less skilled, but enthusiastic guy like me. The course was the m/x track with about 3 or 4 miles of pasture land. Just keep it pinned along the fence line, make the turn at the end of a WFO straight, then pin it again.

My number was 65A, Brain Savage number was 65. About midway thru the race, Brian broke down (on a 250 KX). He and his dad loaded up and pulled out. Somehow, after that, the score keepers dropped my A off my number and finished out the race scoring me as 65 instead off 65 A.

My buddy (D 7 # 609) and his friend were my pit crew, filling the bike and giving me PP&J sandwiches and water while not letting me off the bike. They also kept score of the 250 A class. They had me scored as winning , but the score keepers had Brain down as winning and me as DNF.

My friends were fit to be tied. They tried to protest, but the Ref said I had to protest in person, so they came to get me, but I was so tired, my muscles were cramping all over , I had to work the next day and I just wanted to go home. I didn't care who they gave the trophy to.

It would've been my only A class win. It's funny, I've forgotten a lot of other stuff about those days, but I remember that day, lol.

My only other claim to fame from those days was being awarded the Open B class championship at Budds Creek one year.
I didn't even know they were doing a points race in the lower classes that year, but one Sunday at the awards presentation, Mrs Beasley gave out the series throphys. I believe I won mine by showing up more often than anyone else. lol

As you say, Jeff, good times!

RB
MaxPower
11/19/2013 3:52pm
I raced D6 as a boy, but one fall my father and I drove to Aquaso. I thought that was a great track and I had a lot of fun. On Google Earth I searched the track and it took me to the drag strip. You can just barely tell its not just a old county road. Where was the mx track in relation to the drag strip?
RBrider
11/21/2013 3:41am
MaxPower wrote:
I raced D6 as a boy, but one fall my father and I drove to Aquaso. I thought that was a great track and I had...
I raced D6 as a boy, but one fall my father and I drove to Aquaso. I thought that was a great track and I had a lot of fun. On Google Earth I searched the track and it took me to the drag strip. You can just barely tell its not just a old county road. Where was the mx track in relation to the drag strip?
Sorry, Max. I raced there as a drag racer and a m/xer, but can't answer your question. Post up if you figure it out.

RB
maicocd
11/22/2013 7:57am
MaxPower wrote:
I raced D6 as a boy, but one fall my father and I drove to Aquaso. I thought that was a great track and I had...

Here is a Google Earth Image of Aquasco with where the track used to be...

The orange lines represent where the primary track ran. The blue lines are where alternate sections ran at different points over the years. The track was also run in both directions.

The red corner is where the scoring tower stood and where you obviously got the checkers.
This is also the same corner where you would always get pictures with the Chalk Point silos behind off in the distance.
RBrider
11/24/2013 3:39am
Thanks, maicocd. Good job!

RB
CharlieV
5/27/2014 8:27am
Damn! i stumbled on this site looking for directions to Dunkirk for my son. What a bunch of old memories and lost friends
Alanw
10/22/2015 10:40am
Thanks maicocd, I stumbled across this thread like a few others, while looking for some info on what happened to Aquasco. I was in MAMA back in the early 90's. I was 12-14 while there, and started in the 80 D class. At that time Aquasco was pretty much the home base for MAMA, but I also raced at White Oak VA, Budds Creek MD, Seaford Speedway DL, and a few others I can't recall the names of. (some place in PA) I just remember how MAMA felt much more like a family than going to standard AMA races. I wish I still lived up there, and could experience that with my son.

That illustration is pretty cool to see though. I remember the two big doubles coming out of the woods that not many riders would mess with. Travis Pastrana was in MAMA at the time, and I'll never forget him taking those huge doubles at 11yrs old on an RM-80 with that little wile e coyote stuffed animal strapped to his back.

Thanks for posting that. I've got some video footage, but not sure about photos. I'll see if I can't find something.
wolfy0067
10/22/2015 12:00pm Edited Date/Time 10/22/2015 12:34pm
Trailway speedway 1980 on a 76 Suzuki

Sorry the photo uploaded upside down, there was another track I used to travel to in Maryland think the name was Hideaway, just before the tunnels on the pa turnpike.
RBrider
10/23/2015 3:50am Edited Date/Time 10/23/2015 4:02am
Sorry, screwed up the photo upload. Thought I knew what I was doing. LOL.
RBrider
10/23/2015 4:09am Edited Date/Time 10/23/2015 4:11am
OK, I give up for now.
wolfy0067
10/27/2015 3:41am
I could not remember who was riding the Maico behind me at 1982 Sleepy Hollow till some one mentioned Glenn Taylor

1976 RM250 at Trailway bent the forks on the sky jump, anyone remember they put shredded battery cases as a mulch one year

RBrider
10/27/2015 6:31am
Starting line at Trailways about 1981. I'm 3rd , left of center on 414 Montesa, Senior class.

First turn

The big jump

Same bike 32 yrs later, N Ga mtns

The bike has aged better than it's owner, LOL

RB

wolfy0067
10/27/2015 8:36am
Love the shot of the boltswagon buss, back ground first photo, don't the full window one's bring as much as 60K now
12/4/2015 9:57pm
Jeff,

I grew up in Jacksonville, md. Later moved to hunt valley. Where exactly was the blue gray mx track in sparks?
Jeff Streett
12/5/2015 3:53am Edited Date/Time 12/5/2015 3:55am
Mike,
It was on the left when headed north on York Rd., past Loveton Circle,
Maybe somewhere across from Sparks Park.
A company called Diecraft was on the left and the track was behind that. Is the building still there?
What is there now, I haven't a clue. Woods? Development? Still a field? I do not know.

Jeff
12/5/2015 6:19am
Thanks jeff- thats pretty much where I figured since I was there in the 80s n 90s (pre development of industrial parks) and the Terrain was perfect for a track on the left side of loveton. I heard it only last a few years. I missed the party for mx in md. When I was 8 in 82 dad got me my 1st bike from boutwells, an 82 mx80 yamaha. I've been riding n racing ever since, mx n road racing, but nothing beats hearing about the multiple md tracks back in the 70s. Now it's just budds for mx. GREAT pics from those tracks. So glad I found this thread.
Jeff Streett
11/1/2016 6:04pm
Having trouble responding to threads using Fire Fox.
Trying IE now.

Did a search and others are having the same issues.

Jeff
Jeff Streett
11/1/2016 6:15pm
Looks like IE is letting me (and others) post.

Anyway, received an email from no other than Robert (Bobby) Norris, to my pleasant surprise. :-)

I tried to respond to it through the link and it would not go through.

I do not believe he would mind me re-posting it here as he was very well respected in his day in District 7.
----
"Hi Jeff Streett,

Robert_Norris has sent you a private message:
Bausum Farm Glory Days

My daughter sent me this post, how she got it I don't know but cool anyways. That was the pinnacle of my amateur career. Traveled with Bailey for several months, raced in the south with him teaching schools on Saturday race on Sunday. learned quickly that there were hot shoes at every new track we went to. parted ways after Daytona before the Astrodome before we were going to Peru. Too bad, I had hurt myself at the Orlando race & had enough of being on the road/ home sick. Fun to relive the old days again.

Respond to this message.

Please do not reply to this email

Unsubscribe"

----
Because the old photo albums may someday end up in the trash, I am going to try and post more photos from, "Back in the day".
There is a lot of scanning to do.
Looks like I have to use IE. :-( Boooo, hisssss.

RBrider
11/2/2016 2:09am
Thanks Jeff. I'd love to see more of your old D7 photos.

RB
cvm
11/5/2016 4:43am Edited Date/Time 11/5/2016 4:44am
Fatchance wrote:
I have Hagerstown 1983 on the back of these photos (I have some more) but I don't remember who these guys are. Anyone know? [IMG]http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff399/fatchance1029/Reto%20MX/RetroMX2.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff399/fatchance1029/Reto%20MX/RetroMXphotos.jpg[/IMG]...
I have Hagerstown 1983 on the back of these photos (I have some more) but I don't remember who these guys are.
Anyone know?

Wow!! That's my dodge van w/ my CR in front of it and my father figure from then till now his ford pik up behind the #22 kx. Was 250B then I think. Thx for all the posts, luv em

Wasn't #3 Andy Delauder?

Post a reply to: old Maryland photos

The Latest