old Maryland photos

lumpy790
1/15/2012 8:54pm
I dont think I ever saw Mr Schildhauer before when we was not wearing shorts.
TG130
1/15/2012 10:30pm Edited Date/Time 1/15/2012 10:32pm
lumpy790 wrote:
Skip Schildhauer..............Ya that is his name. Super nice kid and family. He rode out of Cycle 5 on Maicos but I do not remember him on...
Skip Schildhauer..............Ya that is his name. Super nice kid and family. He rode out of Cycle 5 on Maicos but I do not remember him on a Kawasaki. In 79 he might have even still been on an 80.

Its a shame Mike Farmer never made it Pro.......I think he would have had something for them.

Its funny there were so many fast MD riders that came out of MAMA and then the district.........back then only Bradshaw made a splash as a pro till Mike Moore.
Fatchance wrote:
Just found this so I am old news at this point, but I was with the Schildhauer's and Taylor's in CA in 1979 for the Amateur...
Just found this so I am old news at this point, but I was with the Schildhauer's and Taylor's in CA in 1979 for the Amateur Nationals when Skip got hurt. Yes he did hit a tree and spent a few days in the hospital but recovered and was able to race the next year. Glen Taylor, Mike Farmer, Steve Graham also raced that year. Maybe some other District 7 riders that I don't remember. It was the old Hangtown track. Glen Taylor got 3rd in the Open class, Eric McKenna from CA got 1st and Alan King from MI got 2nd, all three on Maico's. King went on the be a factory Suzuki rider. Mike Farmer got 5th in the 125 class.
This is a photo of the Schildhauer rig in Utah on the way to CA. Skip's parents and Glen's parents and I took the RV and both the guys flew out to the race

Glen and his dad after the race

Glen and Mike Farmer

And a group photo----from the left, Mike Farmer's dad,don't know, me, Mike's brother?,sitting?, Darrell Robbins?, Skip's dad and Glen Taylor
Cool pics, great to see some sort of an actual document from that race. Thanks for posting them.

I was standing just a few feet away from the tree that Skip crashed into and saw it happen. Even though it has taken more than 30 years, I am glad to hear that he is/was OK - I've always wondered.
maicocd
1/16/2012 9:57am
I think #3 on the Yamaha could possibly be Scott Bland (??)

The #22 on the Kawasaki resembles a number of guys... It looks a lot like John Thompson (from NJ), but I don't remember him ever being #22 despite the fact that he did do some D7 races. My other guesses would be Randy Jones or Mickey Pentoney.

I still have a pile of late 70's - mid 80's Cycling Easts at my parents assuming the mice haven't devoured them. I hope to dig them out this winter. It would be fun to flip through some of those and see some names and races that times has started to erase from the old brain!!
Fatchance
1/16/2012 3:28pm
maicocd wrote:
I think #3 on the Yamaha could possibly be Scott Bland (??) The #22 on the Kawasaki resembles a number of guys... It looks a lot...
I think #3 on the Yamaha could possibly be Scott Bland (??)

The #22 on the Kawasaki resembles a number of guys... It looks a lot like John Thompson (from NJ), but I don't remember him ever being #22 despite the fact that he did do some D7 races. My other guesses would be Randy Jones or Mickey Pentoney.

I still have a pile of late 70's - mid 80's Cycling Easts at my parents assuming the mice haven't devoured them. I hope to dig them out this winter. It would be fun to flip through some of those and see some names and races that times has started to erase from the old brain!!
I have another photo of #22 from the rear and he has a #2 on his jersey and I can make out the last two letters of his name across his shoulders------HY. I looks to be at least 6 letters long. And on his pants I can see the last two letters----- L-K
??????????????? Sure wish I would have written names on those photos!!!!

The Shop

motogrady
1/18/2012 6:16pm Edited Date/Time 1/18/2012 6:18pm
lumpy790 wrote:
Paul Zaler posted links to these on Face book. Pretty sure these were from D7 points races.... 125A I raced #790 on a Honda. Full gates...
Paul Zaler posted links to these on Face book. Pretty sure these were from D7 points races.... 125A I raced #790 on a Honda.

Full gates back then.......

I am Pro-Am - Red number #790 on a Honda on the right side of the start line.

Thanks lumpy.
Man, I have a few vids I shot from the mid 90's, and some real old late 60's
or early 70's 8mm, stashed away. All Dist. 7. The 8mm is pre Dist 7 now that I think about it.
Anyone remember the Winchester track or Beaver Dam?

How the heck can you upload VHS tape?
1/24/2012 11:38am
Hey Grady, if you have a DVR or digital camcorder you can transfer to that and maybe make a DVD to upload into your computer? Or maybe you have an output on one of those devices to plug directly into your computer. Would love to see those videos!
motogrady
1/24/2012 3:36pm
MX Council wrote:
Hey Grady, if you have a DVR or digital camcorder you can transfer to that and maybe make a DVD to upload into your computer? Or...
Hey Grady, if you have a DVR or digital camcorder you can transfer to that and maybe make a DVD to upload into your computer? Or maybe you have an output on one of those devices to plug directly into your computer. Would love to see those videos!
I'll see what I can do guy.

Lumpy's clip of trailways haha.......when I rode there you'd jump up on turn 2 of the oval,
run the piss out of it, flat out, down the backstrech till they brought it back into the infield at turn 3.
Handlebar would be inches from the guardrail. Effin' great time there.

wwwwwaaaaaaaa wwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAA WWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
lumpy790
1/24/2012 10:03pm
not my videos ......not sure whos they are.

I know that trailways guard rail well....swapped and cartweeled along the top of it and handlebar stuck in my side about 4 inches......some how didnt hit anything important but took 3 layers of stitches......90 total. trashed the bike....tore both footpegs off
1/24/2012 11:10pm
NetMXer wrote:
I think this is the old Maryland Line track location. [img]http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff142/NetMXer/MDLine.jpg[/img]
I think this is the old Maryland Line track location.

Holy Schmidt! That's Yarema's Lake!

This was one of the places for sale that I was looking at for the state to buy and build a motocross track. In fact, I called it MD Line, not knowing that was the real location. No one ever mentioned a lake. I took pictures when I was there. Sadly it was bought out from under us December 28th, 2011. It's not about the past though, and I've just found a completely new large area in nearby Carroll County. Although I'm a 90's transplant to this area I have a knack for finding this. Still I wish I had help from people who know the history of this area.

http://wikimapia.org/12297692/Yarema-s-Lake
1/25/2012 10:49am
Lumpy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cool man. spending too much time on the computer - but gettin' er done. On track to have four new MX tracks open in Maryland. Facebook has been the best for getting some help. The clubs are good. you'll be the first one to know when we open [the closed] mx tracks. I saw your wedding pic. NICE! Congrats to you and your wife ... I hope to meet her if you guys ever come up this way!
maicocd
1/27/2012 6:55am
MX Council wrote:
Holy Schmidt! That's Yarema's Lake! This was one of the places for sale that I was looking at for the state to buy and build a...
Holy Schmidt! That's Yarema's Lake!

This was one of the places for sale that I was looking at for the state to buy and build a motocross track. In fact, I called it MD Line, not knowing that was the real location. No one ever mentioned a lake. I took pictures when I was there. Sadly it was bought out from under us December 28th, 2011. It's not about the past though, and I've just found a completely new large area in nearby Carroll County. Although I'm a 90's transplant to this area I have a knack for finding this. Still I wish I had help from people who know the history of this area.

http://wikimapia.org/12297692/Yarema-s-Lake
I live about 5 or so minutes away from the old Maryland Line track and have frequently driven back there to look around and see if the "For Sale" signs were still there.

You said it sold December 28th... Do you happen to know anything about plans there? I am assuming houses (in that area most likely an upscale executive style sub-division of some sort).
I know that there were 3 or 4 larger tracts for sale about 2-3 years ago, with the tract of land that the track was on being the largest one (with quite a few acres as I recall).

Ironically, we belonged to Baltimore County Trail Riders back then. They put on the last race ever there, which was the 1979 MD State Championships. After the race, my father was tasked with leveling the track since he owned a construction company and had the equipment. The reason back then that was given for closing the track was that a housing development was in the works.

When I moved to the area a couple years ago and hunted out the track, I couldnt help but notice that not a single thing had been built in that 30+ years!

I too dreamed how neat it would be to revive it.

Sorry to hear that the chances of that existed but seemed to have slipped away.
NetMXer
1/27/2012 7:07am
It's amazing at how many of the tracks shut down for just that reason and the developments fell through. The same thing happened with Antietam. That was closed almost 10 years ago and is still sitting there.
1/27/2012 11:33am
It was fairly expensive and we're only now getting an idea about what the State can afford. Still, there were two tracts of land, the bigger one and the one across the street. I'll have to call and confirm they sold because all I know is it was taken off the market on the 28th. Sometimes they do that just to revise the listing (which happened on another prime location we're looking at near Point of Rocks, MD).

I just called and someone did in fact buy it. There was some sort of restriction on the land so I doubt we could've used it for motor vehicles anyway. Sad, but I did find out a nearby farm owner's name. I 'll call and ask him if he would want to lease his farm for an MX track. That's what we do. I'll let you know if we can get the farm next door. It would help if you guys could locate more tracks.

Seems like Sparks is a neighborhood, isn't it? I'm not sure. Look for it and let me know if that land or land nearby exists, okay?
motogrady
1/27/2012 2:11pm
Sparks had a track that held the BlueGrey for a year or 2.
I can see it maybe becoming a development.
1/27/2012 8:15pm
Hey Lumpy!

I just saw your bike in this video! Cool moto hose, I think I need to get me some fresh new red ones!

Wind
lumpy790
1/31/2012 7:54pm
never seen that before.... thanks for posting it!

We were married about 10 miles from your house....been up there several times but could not remember the name of the road you live on.
Chad156
4/29/2012 12:15pm Edited Date/Time 4/30/2012 3:52pm
My 1st race was at the Sparks Blue Gray, probably 1974. I was on a Penton. My clutch cable was almost completely frayed. In gear, on...
My 1st race was at the Sparks Blue Gray, probably 1974. I was on a Penton. My clutch cable was almost completely frayed. In gear, on the start, it kept creeping forward against the rubber tubing. I had to start in neutral. I was last to the first turn. It was a huge dust cloud and you couldn't even see the turn. First thing I saw was a man with a yellow flag. I barely missed nailing him. Then, I started running over a pile of bikes and riders. After a half lap, my tranny locked up and I had to push the bike to the pits dragging this rear wheel.

I used to ride at Top-of-the-world (the hill on the NW corner of I-83 and Padonia).

There was a trail to Boutwell's Cycle. We'd buy beer, then drink until we could carry the remaining cans in our pockets, then hit the trail. Once, Lynn drank a lot of whisky before a ride. He got separated. I think this next part is true: Turned out that an old lady jumped out in front of him and knocked him off his bike. She took his bike. He had to walk back home.
motogrady wrote:
I remember that event. Had one of the best rides of my life that weekend. 250B on a Cappra. Rubber band start with maybe a football...
I remember that event.
Had one of the best rides of my life that weekend. 250B on a Cappra. Rubber band start with maybe a football
field to the first turn, the big red clay pit they had right in front of the crowd, the speed that track had. Awesome.

Anyways, I was putting some stuff up on ebay, cleaning out a closet, look at some of what turned up.

[/img]

[/img]

spent the better part of a day going thru 'em.
Nice, I found this thread while searching from some OLD mx results from the late 90's early 2000's

Cover 1: Michel Moore, Jay Rassa, Ian Riley, Joey Sullivan
Cover 2: Tom Welch
Cover 6: Andrew Sakanikas
Cover 8: Michael Moore and Shawn Rothstein

Brought back some good memories! Thanks!
Bryan Lee
6/22/2012 10:23pm
Holy cow what a blast from the past!!

Went to my first motocross in 1971 when I was 12 years old, it was held by the Baltimore Ramblers. I think Bill Hubbard won the open A class on a Husky.

I raced in district 7 from 1976 through 1980. Started on a TM-125 then a RM 125. Tried the open class for a year in 1977 and part of 78 on a CZ 400 and an RM 370. Returned to the 125 class on yet another RM 125. The sport ended for me with a badly broken ankle on November 2nd, 1980 at Big Berm. Was riding a Cr250R Honda in the 250B class. Had 20 points accumulated towards A class. Oh well.....

I remember or raced at all the great local tracks we had. Big Berm, Capitol, Bausam Farm, Potomac, MD Line, Sparks, Trailway Speedway and Antietam to name a few.

I worked behind the parts counter at C&L cycles in 1978 as well.

I remember every name mentioned in the previous posts. Most of you guys were pretty darn good!

Who remembers Pee Wee Dietzway riding those super fast Penton/ KTM's??

I still ride vintage observed trials in the Mid Atlantic Trial Series.

Thanks for bringing back the good old days!!

Bryan
MaicoJC1
6/27/2012 2:45pm
NetMXer wrote:
It's amazing at how many of the tracks shut down for just that reason and the developments fell through. The same thing happened with Antietam. That...
It's amazing at how many of the tracks shut down for just that reason and the developments fell through. The same thing happened with Antietam. That was closed almost 10 years ago and is still sitting there.
Just a little FYI -- Antietam is back open. Maryland Comp Riders sponsored a memorial Hare Scramble Race (which involved racing on the MX track as well) on 27 May 2012. I don't know if they'll be running any D7 MX races anytime soon, but it's nice to know it's still around.
63MX1
11/16/2013 10:27am

Antietam MX regional qualifier 125 A Class 1979- 115 Me -Helge Baima, 4 Scott Bland, 2 Glen Taylor, 3 Steve Delores, 17 Jimmy Brookens, 33 Paul Lough - Apologize for any I may have gotten wrong, appreciate any info helping my memory on other numbers/riders. Just found this site, very cool-Hello out to all who I raced with back in the day!
63MX1
11/16/2013 10:30am Edited Date/Time 11/16/2013 10:32am

115 Helge Baima (Me) racing at Damascus, Maryland 125 A Class (Circa 1979)- Awesome Track!
63MX1
11/16/2013 10:35am

Winning the 125 B Class at Big Berm Raceway, Maryland #225 Helge Baima
63MX1
11/16/2013 10:37am

125 Pro Class, Montrose, North Carolina #24 Helge Baima
Jeff Streett
11/16/2013 10:57am
Cool photos Helge!!
Raced Moto-X 1972-1979
Hare Scrambles and Enduros 1980-1985.
We were at the same races most likely.
I rode 250 Maico's

Jeff
RBrider
11/17/2013 3:49am
Thanks for the photo's, Helge. I enjoy seeing and reading most anything from the old D 7.

A friend of mine just gave me some slides that I'm working on getting on disc. Had to get a copyright release or they'd already be done. If they're any good, I'll post them.

Jeff, I feel like I should know you. Did you travel to the races with a friend that raced a 400/450 Maico? Did you guys race Budd's Creek often? I recall a couple Maico guys from up your way that always traveled together.

Your m/x time line pretty closely matches mine and my buddy I traveled with.

This CRC (Can't remember crap) is the pits, sometimes. Sad

RB
63MX1
11/17/2013 4:13pm

Me #225 125 B Class, Trailway Speedway on a 1979 Yamaha YZ before I switched to Suzuki..........

Post a reply to: old Maryland photos

The Latest