old Maryland photos

mxfanatic255
2/26/2010 7:02pm
This is great seing this stuff! I'd love to get in touch with anybody from D-7 and 13. This is Biff HIllery, although at 51 I go by Walter now. Moved to Colorado in 1998, started racing agin in 08. If you're looking for me I can be reached at my profile as mxfanatic255 or by email at mxfanatic255@comcast.net
Lots has changed in our lives but the MX friends you make over almost 40 years, are you friends for life! Look me up at MXresultz.com (#8) or also on motocross.com, hope to hear from you soon!
Walter
Mark Jen
5/6/2010 10:33pm
I raced all the time at Big berm in 78, 79. I had an old cr250 in c class and raced a 79 cr250 in b class- it was a great, winning, no hurt summer in 1979. I used to sign up with a friend and we would race my honda sl125 4-stroke in c class for fun in between the 250 motos. I used to race againts jimmy lauer- his father ran big berm- in jimmy's first race - we were on xr75s at the mini bike nats held in 1974 at die craft track in hunt valley. He won w/ me second in both motos. He was definitely the local hotshot in the later years when I raced 250s.
I have all the cycling east papers from back then- it was a great time- all the tracks, all the bike brands, all the shops. Anyone remember when cycle parts warehouse opened in cockeysville in 1972 or so? It was right up from boutwells. All those places were so cool. Motocross was better back then- the bikes weren't as good but there were so many brands, all with their own look- everything looks the same now except for the color! Tracks were natural- not suicidal!
My friend's grand father lived right behind big berm- we would go over there and ride when no one was there. Back then I was 19 or 20- now I am 50. I have no desire to race but still have old and new Hondas and my 13 year old son loves to ride as well.

Anyone who got to ride and race in the old days are very fortunate!

Mark Jen

slowvet
5/8/2010 7:05am
Who was the Jesus Saves guy? Saw him at all the district 7 races back then. Cockeysville Reem Team, the Boutwells had humour.
maicocd
5/9/2010 7:07pm
Slowvet-
I think the Jesus Saves guy was Dennis(?) Briggs if my memory serves me right. He was in the Senior class back then. My Dad raced in his class back in the Big Berm days, and I remember my Dad talking to him at races. Of course back then- only being 10 or so the Senior (and Super Senior) guys seemed really old, but most of them are my age or even younger now! I remember his JESUS SAVES jersey quite well... I'm not sure if he is still around or if anyone knows any more about whatever becaeme of him.

The Shop

lumpy790
5/12/2010 7:03am
I remember something about a team...raw oyster bar......I think the Boutwells were behind it too!

Saw Greg last summer....he works for Mike Johnston at Ellicott City Motorsports.
FLvet
5/28/2010 8:49am
Mike Bell and the Boutwells used to put bar bumper stickers on their Yamaha tanks. Hammerjacks and No Fish Today were two they used. One time Greg just had one that said PUNK on his Hallman Aberg replica thumper.
big jay
5/31/2010 5:13pm
hey nice forum here i raced at big berm and aquasco in the day , jimmy laur does live local he was at my pool 2 summers ago in relay md , and i almost fell over , greg and lynn boutwell yes , legends .. damascus blue grey i was there memories girl hit wow ,, i got a 125 b class trophy that day , the longest jump contest at big berm ,yeah the pond or quarry every body would swim in after the races ,, i ve got video turned dvd i just got back from big berm, and trailways ,, 100 classs wow ,even the xr 75 class nice at trailways , sky jump ,, nite time supercrosses and day time motocrosses was the last time i saw randy jones and jerry ellis and more yes mike farmer is back with a vengence its him racing now and he is kicking ass on a 125 (50 yrs old) lol , yes i rode my self at joe hocks place on nursury rd, and dust bowl on 648 , and many more , i won 1979 125 c class state championship at 12 yrs old had to be 12 to ride 125 , jeremy mcgraths mech raced at big berm skip norfolk n brother plus the hutchinson brothers for hutch bikes ,, cycle 5 and chip annaker and many many more ,,,jay boarman signing out
6/28/2010 8:28pm
I raced Big Berm in 1979 on a YZ 80D and then bought Mike Moores 79 RM80N. The one his dad or grandfather used as a pit bike with a sweet #3 on it. I moved to Marriottsville down the road in 1995 and a bunch of us would ride that whole summer at Big Berm!!!! It was hard to make some stuff out but it was very obvious where the starting line was. We built a small track there. I couldnt believe in 1995 I was back riding at Big Berm, it was freeken wild for me!! Good times.
Thanks so much for the memories.
RBrider
10/15/2010 7:06am
I see i'm a couple years late in finding this thread, but decided to post anyway.

I raced District 7 from 1972 to 1982 or maybe '83. I was always an enthusiatic mid packer. My one big claim to fame is winning the Open B class championship at Budds Creek in 1974, but that was just because I showed up more times than anyone else.

Some of the tracks I remember racing, in no particular order, were Budds Creek, Bausam' s Farm, Big Berm ,BaltimoreRamblers, Md Line, Seaford Del, Trailways,Aquasco,MAMA (in So Md off Rt 4?), Cedar Ridge Va, Hagerstown. We even raced at the Balto city Dump, off Morovia St a few times.

My riding buddy was a big ol' farm boy from western Md, he was the only guy I knew who could go really fast on a TM 400 Suzuki. We ran Curnutt shocks and he had a 4!! lb. flywheel weight on it to tame it down. He was very competitive in the Open A class with that bike, till it finally threw him off on the big starting line downhill at BuddsCreek.That pretty much finished him.

Some guys I remember from back then were Billy Arnold, Bill Denton, Carl Riddle aka 609. plus others who's names I don't remember, but helped make racing back then so much fun.

We had a practice track off of US one in Elkridge, but also rode Woodstock before it was shut down, Contee and the Dust Bowl in Glen Burnie.

I bought a '73 400 CZ from the Dirt Shop and raced it for two years. Great bike and good people at that shop. I had no idea they managed to stay in business so long.

In '76 I switched to Montesa, getting one of the first sand case 360's imported into the US. In '77 I upgraded to a new VB 360B and finished out my (mid pack) A class riding on that bike.

In 1980 I picked up a VF414F and switched to the new senior class and stayed there till I packed it in a few years later. I still have that bike sitting out in the shed. I got it running and rode play m/x with my grandsons for a while, now it's just sitting again.

Now, at 64, I've got a DRZ 400 S for dual sport and a KTM 450 Sx for off road. It's still a lot of fun and you still meet great people out dirt biking.

I've been in Florida for 25 years now, and get back to Maryland less and less, it seems.

I enjoyed all the posts here and the chance to post up myself.

RB
ferrellmc
12/11/2010 5:29am
I just read these posts that go back a few years and I really enjoyed them. Motocross is an amazing sport and as they say "Once it's in your blood you'll always love it." After all there is nothing like sliding into a corner, railing a berm, hitting a jump, setting up a pass, getting a holeshot, and dialing in a track. Writing this paragraph makes me want to ride again. It is a gnawing that doesn't go away.

Probably the most amazing thing about motocross are the people. It doesn't matter how fast you are or what bike you ride, only that you're involved and doing what you love. The camaraderie in motocross is second to none. I'd vote Jon Beasley of Budd's Creek into the hall of fame. He's not a racer but such an amazing supporter of the sport. Since 1970 he's brought families together on weekends and gave young boys something to strive for and the arena to do it. Wow, what a distraction from drugs. Motocross is a sport that builds character.

slowvet
12/11/2010 12:23pm
ferrellmc wrote:
I just read these posts that go back a few years and I really enjoyed them. Motocross is an amazing sport and as they say "Once...
I just read these posts that go back a few years and I really enjoyed them. Motocross is an amazing sport and as they say "Once it's in your blood you'll always love it." After all there is nothing like sliding into a corner, railing a berm, hitting a jump, setting up a pass, getting a holeshot, and dialing in a track. Writing this paragraph makes me want to ride again. It is a gnawing that doesn't go away.

Probably the most amazing thing about motocross are the people. It doesn't matter how fast you are or what bike you ride, only that you're involved and doing what you love. The camaraderie in motocross is second to none. I'd vote Jon Beasley of Budd's Creek into the hall of fame. He's not a racer but such an amazing supporter of the sport. Since 1970 he's brought families together on weekends and gave young boys something to strive for and the arena to do it. Wow, what a distraction from drugs. Motocross is a sport that builds character.

No doubt. I remember running into John at "Crazy Horse" in Georgetown on thursday nights (ladies night) asking him how do I get past his mom at the gate without paying a gate fee. Good times.
danomoto
12/12/2010 5:02pm Edited Date/Time 12/15/2010 7:01am
ferrellmc wrote:
I just read these posts that go back a few years and I really enjoyed them. Motocross is an amazing sport and as they say "Once...

Ferrell.

I second that nomination for Jon. I remember the old Days 1973-77 racing with you and others at Budds. My Dad was the Referee at Budds, helping Jon and Mrs B in those early days. Jon took a great piece of land and turned it into what it is today.

I remember having one of the first 125 Honda Elsinores out there. 74 (I think)

Pretty cool to see you pop in here. What ever happened to Pete Wolf and the Taylors ?
I'm sure I have forgotten half a dozen guys I was once tight with back then. (1973-77)
All you guys were just too much for me, but is was always fun.
RBrider
12/15/2010 5:15am
ferrellmc wrote:

I seem to recall Jon Beasley racing a 125 Bultaco at Budds Creek, once or twice in the 125 C class. I don't think he liked it too much. Maybe in 72 or 73??

RB
danomoto
12/15/2010 7:04am
RB,

It was a very long time ago, I do remember Jon racing a few times. I think it was 73. Right about the time I started.
FLvet
12/15/2010 10:39am
danomoto wrote:
RB, It was a very long time ago, I do remember Jon racing a few times. I think it was 73. Right about the time I...
RB,

It was a very long time ago, I do remember Jon racing a few times. I think it was 73. Right about the time I started.
Jon raced once in the late 70's or early 80's on a borrowed 250 on a rare Budds Sat race with low turnout. I was there and he ran mid pack. Funny Jon would let you and any buds slid into Crazy horse woth no cover but get past the gate at Budds no way!
danomoto
12/15/2010 10:54am Edited Date/Time 12/15/2010 11:37am
FLvet

Thanks, like I said. a long time ago.... I had hung up my boots by 1980

I don't recall Jon ever working the gate, In my days. My Dad was the head referee at Budds back in the early 70's and a good friend of Mrs. B..Thus, I always got free pass. I can recall Jon helping my DAD do morning bike safety inspections. I recall the old man at the gate. I forget his name? Ben? He had one of those farmer straw hats. Smile

I also recall the oil tanker used for dust control.. and walking the track in that black oil. LOL.... man o man... history. Man I went thru Jerseys like crazy due to that black oil.

I also remember my dad inventing the first rubber band starting mechanism. I ran accross it (the gizmo) recently in my dads garage.

What fun it was!
Cathcart
1/30/2011 3:58pm
This is great stuff! I raced at all of those tracks back in the early 80's. I used to watch my dad Bob Cathcart race at Big Berm, and I raced at all of the others when he got back into it. I used to love white Oak, even though we were district 7 people. I pulled my first holeshot at Aquasco. I just got back into the sport myself and I'm running into some of the old guys. I love it. I cant believe I stayed away so long. And Glen Taylor was my idol too. I remember him and Jimmy Pigg battling at SME (I think it was) Taylor won of course. Anyways, its good to hear those old names again. Good stuff.
RBrider
1/31/2011 4:46am Edited Date/Time 1/31/2011 4:49am
Cathcart wrote:
This is great stuff! I raced at all of those tracks back in the early 80's. I used to watch my dad Bob Cathcart race at...
This is great stuff! I raced at all of those tracks back in the early 80's. I used to watch my dad Bob Cathcart race at Big Berm, and I raced at all of the others when he got back into it. I used to love white Oak, even though we were district 7 people. I pulled my first holeshot at Aquasco. I just got back into the sport myself and I'm running into some of the old guys. I love it. I cant believe I stayed away so long. And Glen Taylor was my idol too. I remember him and Jimmy Pigg battling at SME (I think it was) Taylor won of course. Anyways, its good to hear those old names again. Good stuff.
I knew your dad very well .I first met him and your uncle while trail riding in Woodstock. My wife and your dad lived about 1/4 mile apart there in Woodstock when they were kids.
I think me and Bobby Whay were his two best friends at the races thru the years.
Even when we had become senior riders, he could still get a top ten finish at a D-7 expert points race. He was probably the best conditioned rider out there. That, plus the fact that he had reflects like a cat and was also fearless made him a tough competitor!

I still remember the pool parties your mom & dad hosted at your house off Montgomery Rd. They visited us here in Florida shortly before your dad passed away.

If you're up for it, shoot me a pm and fill me in on how you guys and your mom are doing these days. I'm sorry to say we loss track of you all after your dad died.

RB
Jeff Streett
2/18/2011 2:08pm
Well this is just great!!!! Another website to be addicted to!!
I thought I was going to stay (dirt bike) clean the rest of my life then I Google something and I find this site and thread!!!!
I think I am relapsing!!! Not that is a bad thing. It was absolutely the BEST time of my life!
after all these years my blood still get flowing faster anytime I see motocross, Hare Scrambles, Enduros...DIRT BIKES!!!!!!

You guy have brought up so many memories I could go on forever.

Went to school with Steve and Glen Taylor, great guys. Both very fast!
Jeff Prevost doesn't live to far from me. Our wives are friends. Man that guy was talented!
Mark Lambert came along later and was the fastest in our gang.

I just spoke to John Beasley at the Timonium Bike show last weekend. He is always there promoting Budds and had an old Green Penton 125 at his booth.

Raced Motocross from 1972- 1979. started on a 125 Yamaha. My first race was at the Blue Gray at Diecraft in Sparks, MD. If you were there, they would show "On Any Sunday" Saturday night when we camped out in my Dad's Amway van.
Then I moved to 250 Maico's. A 1975, 1976, and a 1978 all bought from Karson's.
Geroge, what a character!!! 10oz Budweiser is all he would drink and they were in the "soda" machine out front of his shop if you knew the right button to push! Andy Hanson and the gang were always around.

Moved to Hare Scrambles, Enduro's and Dave Coombs 100 Mile Series and raced those from 1980- 1985.
Here is a clip from Black Water 100 in 1988.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ7uxD1XoXg&playnext=1&list=PL5C3EC30474….

I'll try to scan and post some of the thousands of photos I have taken over the years.

It's good to read a "Blast from the Past"

Jeff

lumpy790
3/15/2011 9:06am
I met Johnathan in the late 80's when his CR250 fouled a plug on the line at Damascus. I happened to be pitted right there and popped a plug in for him.

There is a new section on facebook dedicated to old D-7 Expert racers that has been getting very popular with lots of the old fast guys showing up.

FYI - Mike Farmer is making a run at the Loretta Lynns 50+ class on a new 350 KTM. He raced his 1st race last weekend and finished 2nd. As I recall the last time he raced the Am nationals was in 81 where he finished 5th in 125 A......that was when the race traveled around the country and was at Red Bud.
Steven_Smith
6/1/2011 8:52am
FLvet wrote:
Mike Bell and the Boutwells used to put bar bumper stickers on their Yamaha tanks. Hammerjacks and No Fish Today were two they used. One time...
Mike Bell and the Boutwells used to put bar bumper stickers on their Yamaha tanks. Hammerjacks and No Fish Today were two they used. One time Greg just had one that said PUNK on his Hallman Aberg replica thumper.
I ran into Mike Bell last night in Fed Hill . One time Glen Taylor had ROCK on the back of his leathers and the next week Greg Boutwell had LOBSTER on the back orf his leathers.
Jeff Streett
6/1/2011 10:47am
I remember Glen had, in white letters, "ROCK" from 98 ROCK on his red Maico fender then shortly after Greg had "PUNK" on his fender.

Jeff
lumpy790
6/2/2011 8:12am
FLvet wrote:
Mike Bell and the Boutwells used to put bar bumper stickers on their Yamaha tanks. Hammerjacks and No Fish Today were two they used. One time...
I ran into Mike Bell last night in Fed Hill . One time Glen Taylor had ROCK on the back of his leathers and the next...
I ran into Mike Bell last night in Fed Hill . One time Glen Taylor had ROCK on the back of his leathers and the next week Greg Boutwell had LOBSTER on the back orf his leathers.
Didnt Greg have Rock Lobster? I always thought it was from the B52's song.
Jeff Streett
6/6/2011 2:30am
Maybe. I know on his fender was PUNK. In all my photos there may be one of that.

lumpy790
7/2/2011 11:06am
Scanned in some more

RIP Steve Ostman

MaicoJC1
7/3/2011 5:00pm
Holy crap...I know the guy in the last picture..#12, Steve Jewell. He was one of the Maryland City Boys from Laurel..The other Maryland City guys I knew were Mike Vinci and Willi Schneider...They're both living in Florida, according to Mike's sister Angie...I didn't race back then (well I had chance to race at Big Berm and Antietam, but didn't think my 78 Honda CR 250 was up to snuff at that time) but I did go to the races and I remember alot of the names and faces. Great pictures, Great Topic...Had alot good times riding back then...Now, I've got all the vintage bikes that I wanted back then, but nothing can replace those days!

Thanks again.
lumpy790
7/4/2011 8:33am Edited Date/Time 7/4/2011 8:38am
LOL....its actually #124 (B class) and thats me......and there are other Md City boys up there.

The shot with me is Joe Nahas on his 77 Yamaha at Budds Creek. The 2 above that is cross up king Joe Nahas on my Husky, He lives across the street from the Brock Bridge school and now races lawn mowers.

#106 above is Mike Vincie.(we talk often & we visit him in FL)

Montessa # 211 is the late (2/11) Steve Ostman. Ran into him at Heysers a couple years ago.

The Honda jersey pictures is Mike Johnson (Owns Elicott City Mororsports) and he grew up in Mt Pelier.

I owe a lot to the Coaching from Bobby Sloan & Steve Ostman.

Would be cool if someone posted pictures from the Contee Pits.

BTW - My wife Kathy (Md City) took these pictures.
MaicoJC1
7/4/2011 2:32pm
Hey Steve, whatever happened to Ben Schaefer? He was a little red headed guy who was in shop class with me and helped me with alot of engine repairs when I was in high school. One time you and he actually came out to ride with me on Route 175/Hanover at the old Texaco Gas station pit. I think you were riding a 1980 Husqvarna 125, and Ben was his old Bultaco. You may not remeber, but I sure do.

Anyway, you left MD, huh?...I've been back and forth with the military...looks like I'm going to retire from the military here, we'll see...

Have a good 4th!

John Hubbard
PN27416
7/5/2011 4:47am
Budds creek sure looks different then now.
lumpy790
7/5/2011 7:55am
Ben lives in Columbia and owns a Honda car specialty shop (GTR-Great Things Racing) near Lisbon at the corner of Union Chapel Rd & Daisy Rd. He was a TM Motorcycle dealer for a while.

There is a D-7 Alumni group on face book that has even older Budds Creek photos. Seems funny that we used to race threw the woods and there was a creek crossing in the turn by the big tabletop.

Post a reply to: old Maryland photos

The Latest