old Maryland photos

RBrider
7/14/2011 5:41am
Excellent photos, Lumpy. Thanks for posting.

This thread is like a time machine! I was a letter carrier in Laurel in my former life. I humped mail in MD City a few times.
I'd forgotten that till I read these latest posts.

RB
lumpy790
7/14/2011 8:09am
3.5 miles of Up and down the hills in MD City is where I ran to train.
Jeff Streett
7/25/2011 7:19pm Edited Date/Time 7/25/2011 7:50pm
Got a hand held scanner then uploaded them to photobucket then here.
Not sure how many photos can be in one post? Lets try 3 at first.

Maryland Line

Maryland Line

Budds Creek. I can't remember his name but he was fun to watch and was fast. If someone said it, it would ring a bell.
EDIT: I think it is Jeff Lanahan (spelling?)
Jeff Streett
7/25/2011 7:23pm
More:

Just tried scanning right out of the album. Not so good but I thought I would post them anyway.

The Shop

Jeff Streett
7/25/2011 7:26pm Edited Date/Time 7/25/2011 7:35pm
More:

My buddy's Tim Hopkins and Al Albiker

Jeff Streett
7/25/2011 7:33pm
Al Albiker, Haven't seen Al in a long time. I hear he is with KTM !

Jeff Streett
7/25/2011 7:46pm
1981, Blackwater 100
One of the best days of my life!

PN27416
7/26/2011 3:54am
Great pics Jeff. Any chance you are related to a Henry Streett that raced Maico's out of New York?
RBrider
7/26/2011 5:37am
Great photos, Jeff! Thanks for posting them!

I especially liked the shots of the rider cresting the top of the big downhill at Budd's Creek. There was a fairly high speed straight leading up to that crest, but the downhill was at a left hand angle to the straightaway . You were faced with slowing down, or learning how to change direction mid air, or eating a bunch of snow fence because your momentum made you run wide on the downhill. Scary!, but in a good way!

Out of all the tracks we raced back then, Budds Creek was my favorite.

RB
lumpy790
7/26/2011 6:34am
Good job Jeff.....keep them coming!

Talked to Lanahan the other day....he might start riding again.

#3 - Steve Delore or John Huston. Seems I remember John going from #16 on a Suzuki to a Kawasaki the year he earned the #1 plate. Those of you who rode in the pits and parked at Johns house......he still lives there but built a house in the back yard.

Always loved that 1 footer Glen Taylor picture. Wasn't that on the cover of Cycling East? Glens son is racing Lorettas!

I never knew Al raced D-7! I have been a sponsor of his teams for 4 years.....since Al was the Moto Concepts manager. He curently manages a KTM team. I will see him in a couple days at Loretta Lynns and will tell him about his pictures,
Jeff Streett
7/26/2011 9:03am Edited Date/Time 7/26/2011 9:19am
Thanks guys.
I'll try and scan more as the days go on.
Maybe I'll do it without taking them one at a time out of the albums.
Getting a Hernia operation on Aug. 4th OUCH!!
I'll have time then also.

No, not related to Henry Streett....that I know of :-)

Jeff
11/24/2011 12:56pm
My 1st race was at the Sparks Blue Gray, probably 1974. I was on a Penton. My clutch cable was almost completely frayed. In gear, on the start, it kept creeping forward against the rubber tubing. I had to start in neutral. I was last to the first turn. It was a huge dust cloud and you couldn't even see the turn. First thing I saw was a man with a yellow flag. I barely missed nailing him. Then, I started running over a pile of bikes and riders. After a half lap, my tranny locked up and I had to push the bike to the pits dragging this rear wheel.

I used to ride at Top-of-the-world (the hill on the NW corner of I-83 and Padonia).

There was a trail to Boutwell's Cycle. We'd buy beer, then drink until we could carry the remaining cans in our pockets, then hit the trail. Once, Lynn drank a lot of whisky before a ride. He got separated. I think this next part is true: Turned out that an old lady jumped out in front of him and knocked him off his bike. She took his bike. He had to walk back home.
11/24/2011 4:39pm
Stuff I remember from Sparks as a spectator:

- sneaking in through the woods 'cus I had no money.
- a drop-off stream crossing.
- a pit dug in the track that filled with rain and guys had to use rope to haul stuck bikes out.
- an off-camber left
- yamaha enduros with tape over the headlights
- BSA's winning
- TM125 Suzuki's (no Elsinores yet).
- night showing of On Any Sunday
- thumper getting out of line on a big hill, turning off track, and going through the crowd without hitting anyone.
- some guy standing on his seat and pulling a half-mile long wheelie across the track
- 125 novice class was so big, they broke it up into 2 or 3 groups.
11/24/2011 4:54pm
Memories of Boutwell's Cockeysville:

- some guy on a Monday needing a dry clutch for a roadrace Yamaha, asks if they can get it before the weekend. Lynn tells him probably not because he might not get around to ordering it until Friday.
- buying an oil seal and noticing that it was melted and covered in soot from a fire at the shop
- mechanic Timmy Judge breaking in new road bikes by spilling wheelies down Cockeysville Rd.
- Greg riding his CR480 up the side of a tree out back.
- parts guys always made up the price because they were too lazy to look it up
- drooling over a new 1st year YZ
- Elsinore 125 new for $625
Jeff Streett
11/25/2011 8:52am
Memories of Boutwell's Cockeysville: - some guy on a Monday needing a dry clutch for a roadrace Yamaha, asks if they can get it before the...
Memories of Boutwell's Cockeysville:

- some guy on a Monday needing a dry clutch for a roadrace Yamaha, asks if they can get it before the weekend. Lynn tells him probably not because he might not get around to ordering it until Friday.
- buying an oil seal and noticing that it was melted and covered in soot from a fire at the shop
- mechanic Timmy Judge breaking in new road bikes by spilling wheelies down Cockeysville Rd.
- Greg riding his CR480 up the side of a tree out back.
- drooling over a new 1st year YZ
- Elsinore 125 new for $625

That's funny right there!

lumpy790
11/28/2011 11:10am
Was just talking with Al Albiker at the Mini O's about his pictures being on here
Jeff Streett
11/28/2011 11:30am
Hey Al,
If your out there, HELLO!!!!!!

Jeff

motogrady
12/3/2011 7:37pm Edited Date/Time 12/3/2011 7:40pm
My 1st race was at the Sparks Blue Gray, probably 1974. I was on a Penton. My clutch cable was almost completely frayed. In gear, on...
My 1st race was at the Sparks Blue Gray, probably 1974. I was on a Penton. My clutch cable was almost completely frayed. In gear, on the start, it kept creeping forward against the rubber tubing. I had to start in neutral. I was last to the first turn. It was a huge dust cloud and you couldn't even see the turn. First thing I saw was a man with a yellow flag. I barely missed nailing him. Then, I started running over a pile of bikes and riders. After a half lap, my tranny locked up and I had to push the bike to the pits dragging this rear wheel.

I used to ride at Top-of-the-world (the hill on the NW corner of I-83 and Padonia).

There was a trail to Boutwell's Cycle. We'd buy beer, then drink until we could carry the remaining cans in our pockets, then hit the trail. Once, Lynn drank a lot of whisky before a ride. He got separated. I think this next part is true: Turned out that an old lady jumped out in front of him and knocked him off his bike. She took his bike. He had to walk back home.
I remember that event.
Had one of the best rides of my life that weekend. 250B on a Cappra. Rubber band start with maybe a football
field to the first turn, the big red clay pit they had right in front of the crowd, the speed that track had. Awesome.

Anyways, I was putting some stuff up on ebay, cleaning out a closet, look at some of what turned up.

[/img]

[/img]

spent the better part of a day going thru 'em.
lumpy790
12/4/2011 9:48am
When was the last Cycling East published?
Jeff Streett
12/4/2011 6:23pm Edited Date/Time 12/4/2011 6:28pm
That link had a Cycling East form in it to subscribe.
It was not what you see when you open it.
I copied the page that I saw and tried to bring it here but no luck so far.

Try this.
lumpy790
12/5/2011 10:33am
Cycling East went belly up years ago....... www.mcracingaction.com out of PA has been hooked up with D-7 & MAMA for several years.
lumpy790
1/8/2012 1:22pm Edited Date/Time 1/8/2012 1:23pm
Paul Zaler posted links to these on Face book. Pretty sure these were from D7 points races.... 125A I raced #790 on a Honda.

Full gates back then.......

I am Pro-Am - Red number #790 on a Honda on the right side of the start line.

JOHN CHOATE
1/8/2012 4:27pm
Cool videos, Steve. Thanks for posting.
Fatchance
1/14/2012 10:44am Edited Date/Time 1/14/2012 10:48am
lumpy790 wrote:
Skip Schildhauer..............Ya that is his name. Super nice kid and family. He rode out of Cycle 5 on Maicos but I do not remember him on...
Skip Schildhauer..............Ya that is his name. Super nice kid and family. He rode out of Cycle 5 on Maicos but I do not remember him on a Kawasaki. In 79 he might have even still been on an 80.

Its a shame Mike Farmer never made it Pro.......I think he would have had something for them.

Its funny there were so many fast MD riders that came out of MAMA and then the district.........back then only Bradshaw made a splash as a pro till Mike Moore.
Just found this so I am old news at this point, but I was with the Schildhauer's and Taylor's in CA in 1979 for the Amateur Nationals when Skip got hurt. Yes he did hit a tree and spent a few days in the hospital but recovered and was able to race the next year. Glen Taylor, Mike Farmer, Steve Graham also raced that year. Maybe some other District 7 riders that I don't remember. It was the old Hangtown track. Glen Taylor got 3rd in the Open class, Eric McKenna from CA got 1st and Alan King from MI got 2nd, all three on Maico's. King went on the be a factory Suzuki rider. Mike Farmer got 5th in the 125 class.
This is a photo of the Schildhauer rig in Utah on the way to CA. Skip's parents and Glen's parents and I took the RV and both the guys flew out to the race

Glen and his dad after the race

Glen and Mike Farmer

And a group photo----from the left, Mike Farmer's dad,don't know, me, Mike's brother?,sitting?, Darrell Robbins?, Skip's dad and Glen Taylor
Fatchance
1/14/2012 11:06am
I have Hagerstown 1983 on the back of these photos (I have some more) but I don't remember who these guys are.
Anyone know?

Post a reply to: old Maryland photos

The Latest