can an 18 inch tube be used in a 19 inch rim/tire

Edited Date/Time 8/5/2015 3:51am
Got a pinhole in my tube and had a spare 18 inch tube. Is that workable? Got my tube patched but i really dont trust patches.
|
Andy86
8/1/2015 5:41pm Edited Date/Time 8/1/2015 5:43pm
Don't risk it would be a tight fit, could cause a nasty accident not worth it just to save a few bucks

Also patches are fine as long as you used a proper motorcycle patch and not a bicycle patch
8/1/2015 6:13pm
Story time....

A friends brother had a ratty Honda XR 80. It had sat for years not running. My buddy asked me if I could get it running. I said "sure".

Well , got it running , points cleaned / set, carb cleaned, tank flushed. Ran pretty good. No money in it, just some time and labor.

Only thing was, it had a flat front tire. The brother was a cheap ass. The stem was ripped out of the tube, probably from riding on the flat.

I recalled as a kid, we would put 16" XR 75 / YZ 80 front tires on our 20' bicycle rims, for the hell of it. They went right on, using a 20" bicycle tube.

I told the brother that a 20 inch bicycle tube would work, but being bicycle tubes do no not have a metal stem, it was probably not the best idea.

He was all for it. Stuffed a bike tube in it, and sent him on his way.

All was well and good, until one day at work , my buddy told me his brother crashed the mighty Honda.

Seems he and his girl friend were two up on it, hauling ass down the road, and upon deceleration , the rubber valve stem was cut by the opening in the rim.

Ass ,elbows, and XR 80 were all over the road.

May have been a little karma involved ,as I worked on several of the brothers POS, never to be paid.
8/1/2015 7:20pm
Good story project racer lol. The patch i put on sank deep into the tube so it looks good. I used a patch on a kdx tire for months without fail and id actually not even patched it correctly. Ill probably run the patch.
450exc115
8/1/2015 8:35pm
We always pack a 21" tube on the woods rides as it will fit in a 21, 19 and 18 inch rim. That said it's only to get you home.

The Shop

Slosh 112
8/2/2015 2:48am
I had a YZ250F I used for trail riding, one day got a puncture, so I changed it on the side of the trail only to find a 22 inch pushbike tube stuffed into my 19 inch tyre, made me mad as hell, went back to the tyre shop cranky as all hell as they'd charged me 90 dollars for a super heavy duty Michelin tube, and stitched me up with a rubbish 15 dollar mountain bike tube that only last about 10 minutes of riding...
8/2/2015 9:22am Edited Date/Time 8/2/2015 9:32am
lostboy819 wrote:
Just go buy a new 19 inch tube.
Its 50 miles to the shop for me, and they were out of 19 inch tubes. Thats why I was hoping it would work. I just patched the old tube. It was a hole like a pinhole so the patch should work pretty well. Honestly man, I seriously wouldve just bought the right tube rather than have to ask another question on vital. Smile The closest shop is a shithole with hardly any parts an $15 a quart for two stroke oil. Id say a tube wouldve been $50 if theyd had one anyway.
8/2/2015 9:29am
Slosh 112 wrote:
I had a YZ250F I used for trail riding, one day got a puncture, so I changed it on the side of the trail only to...
I had a YZ250F I used for trail riding, one day got a puncture, so I changed it on the side of the trail only to find a 22 inch pushbike tube stuffed into my 19 inch tyre, made me mad as hell, went back to the tyre shop cranky as all hell as they'd charged me 90 dollars for a super heavy duty Michelin tube, and stitched me up with a rubbish 15 dollar mountain bike tube that only last about 10 minutes of riding...
There used to be a Kawasaki shop about 20 miles away from me that was notorious for that kind of shit lol. A friend with a 88 kx125 took his bike in for new handlebars (he was mechanically inept and had rich parents so even an oil change was at the shop), and when he went to pick it up they had put a pair of chromed out street bike bars on it! Lol. He called me and said "what should I do" and I said "Tell that dummy to order u some dirt bars". There was always stories of ripoffs at that shop. I dont trust any of them.
8/2/2015 9:38am Edited Date/Time 8/2/2015 9:39am
lostboy819 wrote:
Its 50 miles to the shop for me, and they were out of 19 inch tubes. Thats why I was hoping it would work. I just...
Its 50 miles to the shop for me, and they were out of 19 inch tubes. Thats why I was hoping it would work. I just patched the old tube. It was a hole like a pinhole so the patch should work pretty well. Honestly man, I seriously wouldve just bought the right tube rather than have to ask another question on vital. Smile The closest shop is a shithole with hardly any parts an $15 a quart for two stroke oil. Id say a tube wouldve been $50 if theyd had one anyway.
Forgot to mention that just as a goof I actually stretched the 18 inch tube over the 19 rim and to me I dont see how thered be any problems using it. Hardest thing would be working it under the tire (my rim was bare to break loose seized spokes). I think with a good covering of duct tape around the rimband/spokes for cushioning that an 18 tube wouldve been more than fine FOR ME and the speeds I ride at (first and second gear extremely slow speed mostly). Anyone that rides at normal speeds, I wouldnt recommend it because Im not sure what would happen.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
8/4/2015 2:36pm
lostboy819 wrote:
Its 50 miles to the shop for me, and they were out of 19 inch tubes. Thats why I was hoping it would work. I just...
I forget how spoiled I am , I have Vickery Motorsports a few miles from here and they have everything in stock.Cool
BRT771
8/4/2015 3:35pm
Yes, I forget how good I have it too. This is the shelf of tubes at our shop (where I work) and there's not a bicycle tube to be seen Smile

8/4/2015 6:02pm
Every shop i have is 40-50miles in every direction. Its hard if I break a chain link or have a flat.
8/5/2015 3:51am Edited Date/Time 8/5/2015 4:08am
We may have nowhere to ride in th UK, but we do have good local shops at least.

I tend to always keep a good stock of spare bearings / pads / tyres / split links in my garage. its not like I'll never use them up, I'm just buying them early.

For trail riding, I used to clip a spare split-link round the front brake line, and carry a 21" tube and CO2 cartridges and tools in my camelbak.

Post a reply to: can an 18 inch tube be used in a 19 inch rim/tire

The Latest