another 1984 yz490 question

rmpilot
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 2:47pm
im looking at putting a new silencer on it and the rest of the bike is pretty much stock so im thinking finding a stock silencer would be best. but the real question here is that it looks like the one on it is three inches shorter than what came stock. whats up with this? was it a popular set up at the time? it just bugs me how much shorter it is.
|
tmphotoart
Fantasy
1144th
11/3/2011 1:47am
rmpilot wrote:
im looking at putting a new silencer on it and the rest of the bike is pretty much stock so im thinking finding a stock silencer...
im looking at putting a new silencer on it and the rest of the bike is pretty much stock so im thinking finding a stock silencer would be best. but the real question here is that it looks like the one on it is three inches shorter than what came stock. whats up with this? was it a popular set up at the time? it just bugs me how much shorter it is.
The stock YZ 490 silencer is very long, but it's re-packable. It sounds like your YZ 490 has a silencer off a YZ 250, or it was cut down. The typical mod was to put on a aftermarket silencer, like a Pro-Circuit, to save some weight.

Here is a photo of my old YZ 490 with stock equipment
http://wheelspinmuseum.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/p7280381.jpg

Good luck on your YZ . . . I wish I still had mine.
rmpilot
11/3/2011 3:42pm
rmpilot wrote:
im looking at putting a new silencer on it and the rest of the bike is pretty much stock so im thinking finding a stock silencer...
tmphotoart wrote:
The stock YZ 490 silencer is very long, but it's re-packable. It sounds like your YZ 490 has a silencer off a YZ 250, or it...
The stock YZ 490 silencer is very long, but it's re-packable. It sounds like your YZ 490 has a silencer off a YZ 250, or it was cut down. The typical mod was to put on a aftermarket silencer, like a Pro-Circuit, to save some weight.

Here is a photo of my old YZ 490 with stock equipment
http://wheelspinmuseum.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/p7280381.jpg

Good luck on your YZ . . . I wish I still had mine.
thanks for the help

Post a reply to: another 1984 yz490 question

The Latest