Yz250 1987 restoration project

Andy86
Edited Date/Time 5/18/2022 7:44pm
Hi all new member here welcome to my rebuild thread for my 1987 Y250T

This restoration has been going on for a long time and has cost a small fortune but i am finally starting to get somewhere with it

The bike was originally purchased off ebay a few years ago, not costing to much but still a reasonable amount the seller pulled the trick of posting his original photo's of when he bought the bike not the updated photo's of the bike in its current condition, but i drove a few hundred hundred miles to collect the bike and like i say i did not pay a massive amount, so i bought it anyway

The bike served me well for a year or two but then the gearbox started to fail and the piston seized up, but it was a lot of fun while it lasted

This is my first proper go at a full nut and bolt restoration from the ground up, so please go easy on me although any criticism is still welcome

The engine was originally sent to a local bike shop in the Uk but eventually after a long time of him messing about (i can't find the parts i need, i am busy with my road bikes etc) i lost my temper took it back from him and decided to rebuild the engine myself from the jigsaw puzzle he left me with (the engine was sent him as a complete unit)

The pictures below are the condition he returned it to me in

Anyway that's enough backstory on the bike,sadly i only have 1 one picture of the bike before the tear down and that's a picture of when the previous owner bought it not what it was like when i bought it, it was very used and abused by the time i purchased it

|
pete24
6/2/2015 10:05am
ill be following this as i have a "thing " for 87 YZs

Andy86
6/2/2015 10:13am
Anyway guy's just to get the thread started and to give people something to reply to, here is a few more pictures of the engine work at the various stages of rebuild and clean up

Casings cleaned and degreased, new bearings fitted,outer clutch cover repainted in high temp gloss black and also the cylinder barrel stripped cleaned and ready to go of for a new sleeve to be fitted

Andy86
6/2/2015 10:28am Edited Date/Time 6/9/2015 5:04pm
pete24 wrote:
ill be following this as i have a "thing " for 87 YZs [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/06/02/93389/s1200_100_3282.jpg[/img]
ill be following this as i have a "thing " for 87 YZs

Awesome pete glad to have you on board I have seen your stunning work before very nice job on all your bikes they are all awesome

But i must warn you when its finished i am not going for the original showroom look, i am going for the custom modern look as far as paintwork, wheels, brakes, color scheme goes etc hope you will still like it though only time will tell

I plan to keep the bike and ride her when she's finished, she will not go up for sale when finished, if i made it to be as clean tidy and original looking as your example i would probably not want to ride her, hence why I am going for the custom look

I like you, have a thing for the overall look and feel of these bikes i have used some of your photo's as inspiration for my build

Did you manage to buy the 87 Yz80 to complete your 87 collection?
Andy86
6/2/2015 10:46am
A few pictures of the various engine components

Had to buy a new talon billet basket as the original one was very badly grooved and also had a finger missing, my friend snapped a couple more fingers off it when drilling the rivets off the old drive gear, it grabbed in his pillar drill and flew off across his garage almost hitting one of his restored RD350's , it missed it by inches phew!

Also sourced a new nos inner hub boss along with a barnett dirt digger clutch kit, the outer pressure plate was in good condition

Also some gearbox components new nos mainshaft and countershaft the majority of the gears were replaced for nos one's also along with all the washer's circlip's and spacers etc

3 new shift forks along with shift shaft were replaced, the original shift shaft was badly chewed up in the spline area

The Shop

Andy86
6/2/2015 11:01am
Few more Pictures of the clutch and gearbox components

Also replaced the mainshaft clutch hub bushing, the two thrust washers and the the locking washer and retaining nut for all new nos parts

Also a new nos clutch actuator arm

Andy86
6/2/2015 11:39am
Now for the fun part putting it all back together

Andy86
6/25/2015 6:36pm
Couldn't find a nos left hand stator cover at the time so i had to refurb mine think it turned out pretty good

A lot of rubbing down a few coat's of grey primer and to finish a couple of coat's of high temperature gloss black

Andy86
6/25/2015 6:43pm
Top end prep next, this was before it was sent to pjme

Look how thin the liner was on the underside and also the massive score on the wall of the bore (due to a seizure)

Plus the very bad pitting in the combustion squish area of the cylinder head

Andy86
6/25/2015 6:48pm
A few more pictures of the bottom end

Andy86
6/25/2015 6:53pm
And some pics of the top end once it came back from Pjme with the new chromoly sleeve fitted, bead blasted, new nos power valve clearance checked etc

And also they managed to clean the combustion area of the cylinder head quite nicely

I am very happy with pjme's work, fast turn around nice cross hatch on the barrel, transfer port edge's dressed very well etc and reasonable price at £200 with collection and return postage fee included in the price

Andy86
6/25/2015 7:01pm
Few more engine pics and the new piston kit and also a new nos powervalve which was pretty reasonable at £80

Andy86
6/25/2015 7:07pm
Radiator restoration next lots of time with the tweezers to straighten the bent cooling fins and i had to source a used left hand rad from america in good condition, a few coats of high temp gloss black i was pretty pleased with the way they turned out

And also cleaned up the radiator mounting brace at the same time

If the rads don't hold water i will get a set of the aftermarket one's from ebay, but hopefully they should be ok they looked clean enough inside, no signs of radweld etc

Andy86
6/25/2015 7:16pm
Rear shock absorber rebuild next, this was a right mess it was a lot of work to get it something like but it's at local repair shop at the moment for a full rebuild, zinc plating on the body, fresh gold anodized coating to the gas and oil reservoir and re hard chroming of the shaft it was badly pitted around the bump stop area and above

Cannot decide which spring to use the one with shock next to it or the darker purple one (the dark purple is the red spring repainted) the last pic on its own, any preference's guys?

I think i am just going to leave the B.A.S.S cable disconnected

Andy86
6/25/2015 7:29pm
Now some pictures of the painted parts probably the most expensive part of the project apart from the engine i have spent at least £1000 plus on paint, primer, basecoat blue, the flip paint and the 2k clearcoat with activator hardener for durability

but its my favourite part of the project so far

Its custom chromaflair flip paint much like the TVR colours it was very expensive, while it may not be to everyone's taste

I love it and that's all that matters to me

Usually anyone who see's it in person loves it, but camera's do not do the colour justice at all

Andy86
6/25/2015 7:38pm
Few more pictures of some goodies i have been stock piling

Got some via cmsnl, some via fowlers and the rest via ebay

Bits include a new nos front spoke kit, all 3 exhaust nos mounts, all the bearings and seals i have used, the new chain buffer and chain guide

An aftermarket set of oversize wide footpegs and clevis pins, a clutch actuator extension arm(billet trick bit) plus a venhill f/light clutch cable

A new swingarm pivot shaft and nut plus a new rear wheel axle shaft and nut, also the middle lower engine mount bolt

A gunnar gasser throttle, plus a front brake caliper rebuild kit

I went with the pivot works kit for the swingarm kit because its an exact copy of oem i was not that keen on the allballs kit due to thrust washers etc, i heard a few people saying the allballs swingarm kits were not very good

And also a neochrome fender washer kit i picked up, i thought it matched my paintwork quite nicely

6/26/2015 3:44am
Build looks like it is coming along great Andy. You are putting a lot of time and effort into the old girl and it will be interesting to see how it comes out. Just be careful you dont over bling, as they look great and are worth more done up as original, or as a replica of a works bike from the era. Keep the pics coming.
Andy86
6/26/2015 12:02pm
Build looks like it is coming along great Andy. You are putting a lot of time and effort into the old girl and it will be...
Build looks like it is coming along great Andy. You are putting a lot of time and effort into the old girl and it will be interesting to see how it comes out. Just be careful you dont over bling, as they look great and are worth more done up as original, or as a replica of a works bike from the era. Keep the pics coming.
Cheers for the reply mate, i know what you mean about the bling, but this bike will not be for sale when finished, she's a keeper

I just wanted to put my own touch on it, i find it quite boring to make it look the same as everyone else's bike

Each to their own i guess, i am just not a purist i like to be different

Anyway now a few pictures of the swingarm after having all of the bearings bushings and seals changed in the arm itself and all the linkage needle bearings and oil seals

Andy86
6/26/2015 12:06pm
Made some really decent progress in the last week or so

Finally managed to paint the frame which was holding things up a lot and also managed to find the the time to paint the topend overall made some really good progress

Still waiting for the rear shock to come back (then the swingarm is finished) and also the wheels still need sending to paul at sid's wheels and then that's the majority of the major jobs done

Anyway a few pics of the top end after paint and also a mock up of some radiator hoses i am fabricating

Andy86
6/26/2015 12:09pm
Few pictures of the aftermarket oversize clarke fuel tank and also the chrome billet fuel cap i ordered from america in modern yz reflex blue, i would have bought a white one but i didn't want it to turn urine yellow in a year or so like they all do, as they look disgusting when the oxidization sets in

Also some more nos powervalve component's and a teaser mock up of the custom hoses fitted to the bike

Andy86
6/26/2015 12:13pm
Now a few pictures of the real progress with the frame fixtures fittings etc swingarm, radiators, footpegs, bottom end mounted in frame, yokes fitted etc

Ordered a set of genuine footpeg clevis pins as the one's i sourced from a local fastener shop were to long and also ordered a new ball race cover for the steering bearings i had painted the original cover but i was not happy with the look of it so i ordered the new one from fowlers parts

Also sourced a new nos center nut for the steering top yoke, waiting for it to be delivered from america so i am just using the old one for now

Andy86
6/26/2015 12:15pm
A few more pictures of the frame etc

Andy86
6/26/2015 12:18pm
A few more progress pics with the topend and clutch

warrnum
6/26/2015 9:17pm
Hey Andy, great choice of bike, apart from the 88 my next favorite. Cant wait to see it togeather and enjoying the fact yours will be different, apart from that fact you also showing some great skills, love your work.
Andy86
6/28/2015 6:57am
warrnum wrote:
Hey Andy, great choice of bike, apart from the 88 my next favorite. Cant wait to see it togeather and enjoying the fact yours will be...
Hey Andy, great choice of bike, apart from the 88 my next favorite. Cant wait to see it togeather and enjoying the fact yours will be different, apart from that fact you also showing some great skills, love your work.
Thanks for the comment warrnum very kind of you, i know its far from a garage queen cosmetic's wise but mechanically its a 100% solid

I just tried my best for a full restoration, considering its my first attempt at a project like this i think i have done ok

I think if i ever restored another bike i would go down the powder coating route instead
Andy86
7/6/2015 11:38am
Hi all made a few small bits of progress recently, got an aftermarket ignition coil that fits perfectly,saved myself £50 on the yamaha oem price of a coil

The new top yoke centre nut arrived, so that's been fitted, and also test fitted the apico kill switch i bought, it fits perfectly and again a massive saving over oem costing £8

I also fitted the trick billet aluminium clutch actuator extension arm, and fitted all the powervalve retainer in place along with the outer clutch cover etc

A few pictures below

Andy86
7/16/2015 1:28pm
Moving on with the thread made some more good progress recently

Rear brake torque arm fitted a new nos special bearing (notice the old original bearing i pushed out it was just the outer shell with no inner bit whatsoever lol) and the two dust seals to go with it, £30 just for the little bearing and seals ouch

Fitted the clarke tank and also the UFO side panels and also fitted the seat loose as a mock up for picture purposes but i am waiting on a new cover for the seat and also need to to do some clean up work on the plastic tray part of the seat

Fitted up the the newly restored airbox i did, i purchased it from ebay as the old one was split and had also been bodged by the previous owner around the side panel airbox cover mating area and also fitted the new nos airbox to carb intake boot

MaxPower
7/17/2015 4:22pm Edited Date/Time 7/17/2015 4:28pm
You say you are plating the shock body. Isn't the body aluminum? And wouldn't plating alter the inside bore diameter? I could not slip my axles through the wheel bearings after having them plated.
The billet gas caps look trick but i was shocked how heavy they are. You put a lot of work into this bike to get it to this point
pete24
7/17/2015 5:49pm
the shock body is steel it unscrews from the top of the shock i had mine gold zinced

Post a reply to: Yz250 1987 restoration project

The Latest