Works RC Honda tank. Pure sweetness...

sgthubbard#60
7/16/2014 3:01pm
Send that thing north first so I can put the proper knee wear in the sides. Looks sweet man!
tydog
7/16/2014 4:15pm
WOW, Beautiful and what a cool piece of moto and Euro history. Please send it south and not north!
I am sure that the resto of it was time consuming but most likely a labor of love. Kudos to Cam for finding and sharing.
The paint looks a foot thick even on my old roached out piece of hell pooter. Well done Newmann, as all of your shit seems to be. Let's just hope that it finds a good home with his brethren, gets ridden and some button pusher doesn't ass up the decals.

7/16/2014 4:23pm
After reading the stories about Eddie Warren and Mike Hartwig and seeing the stuff they left behind when they quit racing makes one wonder how much of these rare, factory unobtanium parts are sitting in barns, sheds and old dealers just waiting to be found yet.
Looks great Newmann.
MaxPower
7/16/2014 7:03pm
The Fox tanks look perfect.
Of all Moto X Fox replica paint jobs I've only seen one that looks right.
Now I've seen two .

What swingarm are you going with on your open class Honda Joe?

The Shop

7/17/2014 4:41am
SWEEEEEEEEETTTT!!!!!!

Newman that is sereously peachy!

As you said, Honda never primered anything, just enough paint to cover up the welds, even on production stuff!!

I mangaged to find some pics of Hollys tank, you can see, the fornt mounts are a little different, and obviuosly the tap mounting is for a std tap but he got it pretty close!

CamP
7/17/2014 6:05am
Glad to help my vintage brothers out. Your paint work does the tank justice, Joe!
newmann
7/17/2014 6:21am
MaxPower wrote:
The Fox tanks look perfect. Of all Moto X Fox replica paint jobs I've only seen one that looks right. Now I've seen two . What...
Now I've seen two .

Fox had a few different paint schemes for the different bikes so you can't be too critical over some of them. Of course I've seen those that were way off! The Richter bike had stripes around the center stripe.

newmann
7/17/2014 6:32am
MaxPower wrote:
The Fox tanks look perfect. Of all Moto X Fox replica paint jobs I've only seen one that looks right. Now I've seen two . What...
Now I've seen two .

Oh, and the tank and big block bike belongs to Tydog . Not sure what swing arm he ended up going with for it, but I'm sure it will be pretty sweet. His other one is pretty much off the hook with hand made hardware.Wink

tydog
7/17/2014 8:30am Edited Date/Time 7/17/2014 8:31am
Lots of cool stuff here in this thread and more importantly, cool people!!! I fully agree that many people miss the proportions on the Suzuki tanks. Joe really nailed it on my two.
As for the swinger Max, I got an old DG/ProFab from flea bay a few years ago. It needed some work in the pivot area and had the usual gouges and nicks but I plan to paint it red anyway.
Holly does some neat pieces!
swatdoc
7/17/2014 4:50pm
I just picked up a couple of tanks from Holly. One for a 250, and the other for a type 2 125

Not originals, I know, but the closest I'll ever get probably
newmann
7/17/2014 5:09pm
MaxPower wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/StevensWorksDesigns/photos_stream I met a pretty amazing guy at a vintage practice that had built replica 125s of a RC Honda , Fox 125 and a old...
https://www.facebook.com/StevensWorksDesigns/photos_stream

I met a pretty amazing guy at a vintage practice that had built replica 125s of a RC Honda , Fox 125 and a old YZ that looks to me like a OW and would have thought it was if he didn't tell me. His tank is the other Fox tank that looks like the real deal to me

Too funny. That's Scott Stephens from New Jersey. I painted his tank along with mine, Tydogs 2 and one for my brother all at the same time. You saw it up close, did it pass for decent?
RF145
7/17/2014 6:18pm
Scott Stevens does some pretty incredible work. He is also a super fast ex-pro. And is actually a very nice guy.

I feel as nice as those bikes you mentioned are, his claim to fame must be his 1974 CR 125 resto's. He has a fantastic eye for detail. I prefer his Works bikes, but when I sit down and listen to him talk about other restorations and how little things like using the wrong carb top or model year kickstarter, you can appreciate his eye for detail, as these were $10,000.00 bikes he was talking about.

Even more amazing.........if you could have seen where all these bikes were built before he built his shop. OMG, I would not even store parts there. LOL

Look his page up on Facebook. Stevens Works Designs. I think that is it, I will double check and correct it if I am wrong.

Richard
newmann
7/17/2014 6:38pm
RF145 wrote:
Scott Stevens does some pretty incredible work. He is also a super fast ex-pro. And is actually a very nice guy. I feel as nice as...
Scott Stevens does some pretty incredible work. He is also a super fast ex-pro. And is actually a very nice guy.

I feel as nice as those bikes you mentioned are, his claim to fame must be his 1974 CR 125 resto's. He has a fantastic eye for detail. I prefer his Works bikes, but when I sit down and listen to him talk about other restorations and how little things like using the wrong carb top or model year kickstarter, you can appreciate his eye for detail, as these were $10,000.00 bikes he was talking about.

Even more amazing.........if you could have seen where all these bikes were built before he built his shop. OMG, I would not even store parts there. LOL

Look his page up on Facebook. Stevens Works Designs. I think that is it, I will double check and correct it if I am wrong.

Richard
And funny you mentioned his 74 CR125! He did that one up nice and it ended up going to a nice home at the Mungenast museum along with his MR50 and 74 CR250. The 125 was the gem of the bunch. I robbed misc. small parts from a bunch of my bikes for that, including the carb top and kicker you mentioned. Traded him some nos spokes for the Buchanans he had as he had fallen asleep on his keyboard at 3 am waiting to snipe some off eBay! Good times a dozen years ago...lol. I scored him a set of nos tires for the 125 even. They had been stored in a stack of tires for decades and were smashed flat as a pancake. I wasn't sure they could survive being installed and aired up.Worked overtime replicating a correct factory paint job including the overspray under the fenders, side panels and tank. He has built some neat ones and had quite a feature in VMX Magazine a couple years ago. I think his collection of all things vintage has grown crazy like a few others here, not naming names or anything! Haven't exchanged any e-mails with him in a few years, definitely one of the good guys.
newmann
7/17/2014 6:44pm
swatdoc wrote:
I just picked up a couple of tanks from Holly. One for a 250, and the other for a type 2 125 [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/07/17/60055/s1200_IMG_0608.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/07/17/60056/s1200_IMG_0106.jpg[/img] Not originals...
I just picked up a couple of tanks from Holly. One for a 250, and the other for a type 2 125

Not originals, I know, but the closest I'll ever get probably
Those are going to make for some nice bikes! No way can you run that DG pipe with that 250 tank! Gotta upgrade to match the tank....Smile
MaxPower
7/17/2014 7:29pm
My wife can move a piece of furniture in the hallway, put plants next to the front door or change her hair color and I'll make the mistake of mentioning I like it. It's a mistake to mention anything because she did it 5 weeks ago. I can walk past something for 35 days and not notice. Yet I can pick out a tank Joe Newmann paints on a cracked cell phone screen waiting for a light to turn green.

I really like the tanks Swatdoc. To me it doesn't matter in the least they aren't original. They are every bit as bad ass.
Was the top tank run on the 250? I kind of remember a tank with that shape on a open bike. You would know. I'm just recalling something I've seen in a old Moden Cycle magazine 37 years ago
It's amazing you guys are building something no one would have dreamed possible back when we were punk kids
Was Hondas purpose for adding to the 125 tank like that because the stock tank wasn't making 45min motos?

Just like computerized machining equipment has made replicating works parts possible, I hope fabricating works tanks becomes easier and cheaper. I remeber when I got all excited in 78 when the RM125 came with a plastic tank. No more dents and ugly paint wearing knee rubs.
Now the 77 Suzuki and 79 CR tanks were the coolest production tanks ever
RF145
7/18/2014 1:32pm Edited Date/Time 7/18/2014 1:33pm
I love the display tables.

Where is this Mungenast museum??

Richard
newmann
7/18/2014 2:15pm
St. Louis I believe. Those three were all Scott's bikes.
swatdoc
7/18/2014 6:35pm
Max I think you're right - the bigger tank was prob on a bigger bike - I think maybe it's a Brad Lackey replica? It's OK with me - it still looks cool as hell. If I can find or have made an actual RC250 tank (replica), I'll go for that. Maybe I can get karl to make one for me.
newmann
7/18/2014 6:47pm
Karl.....aaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh! Soooooo much talent and such a poor businessman. My last couple of dealings with him were just f'n horrible. Pay in full up front and wait 20 months to get stuff built wrong. 20 e-mails over the course of the project reminding him how the three swingarms were to be built and he gets them mixed and matched backwards. Pay in full up front for a hand built fuel tank and get a piss poor cobbed together job on a used tank with dents. I'm sorry, at some point he really needs to tell people "I can't get to it until". In my business, unless you drop off a real turd, I don't ask for a cent until I'm done. He should never take full payment up front, takes away all of his incentive to finish anything. Extremely aggravating.
newmann
7/18/2014 7:02pm
swatdoc wrote:
Max I think you're right - the bigger tank was prob on a bigger bike - I think maybe it's a Brad Lackey replica? It's OK...
Max I think you're right - the bigger tank was prob on a bigger bike - I think maybe it's a Brad Lackey replica? It's OK with me - it still looks cool as hell. If I can find or have made an actual RC250 tank (replica), I'll go for that. Maybe I can get karl to make one for me.
Swatdocs big tank is an open class RC replica and looks to be based off the stock 78-79 CR250 tank with the top modified. Very similar to the 78 RC500's as seen here, first being Bad Brad's GP bike I got out of Australia for Bob Fox's collection and the sister bike I found languishing in a warehouse since 78. Difficult to find out the true history of some of these bikes! Guess I could always make up some good stories and history for my couple of works bikes like someone else does.Laughing

MaxPower
7/20/2014 4:52pm
Why were the side plates cut funky Joe?
Was it because they were running the rear numberplates to go with the new Euro rules and could alter them for some kind of stupid style or did the FoX Airs push them out too far? I like the look now because it's a historical piece of Moto history but at the time it looked like Honda took a clean style Works bike and did something a C Class open class racer would do to his bike to pass tech. At the time I thought Honda may as well used electrical tape for numbers.

But if I had a 79 Honda now and that cool tank SwatDoc has I would do the same thing
newmann
7/20/2014 5:47pm
Those were cut to allow air to pass over the fins on the Fox Air Shox.

Bultaco
7/21/2014 7:02am
Yep, love the info. Fills in the blanks of what I was seeing (and reading) back when it was all new.

Post a reply to: Works RC Honda tank. Pure sweetness...

The Latest