Winners take all

KX452
Edited Date/Time 6/13/2018 8:19am
I know that no one likes to talk about this movie, they all say its corny. I agree somewhat now that I am older, but to a kid back in 80's it was bad ass. I found the vhs in a box the other day and threw it in and watched it. As an east coast guy who has never been to cali , I couldnt help but wonder where all the shots were done at, and I know you cali guys must know where they all were taken. for example, one of the tracks in the movie is called indian head raceway. Was that footage taken at Indian dunes? Some of the footage looks like it could have been carlsbad. How about the spot where they are play riding in the begining of the movie, was that a real riding spot or was it just a set? Did any of you guys see the movie being filmed back in the day? Ok, enough stupid questions from a jersey guy. You cali guys (and gals) are some lucky sons a bitc$@!. The 70's and 80's moto scene out there was just unbelievable and you got to live it. It will never be like that again.
|
ElkinHammer
10/22/2009 5:39pm
I agree... the movie is cheezzy but it was and still is great entertainment! I too am an east coast guy who could only dream... go Team Hurricane!
JOHN CHOATE
10/22/2009 7:07pm
One of my best friends was in the stands at the Houston SX when they were filming the Main Event. He said they were cracking up when they saw that made up from junk POS roll up to the starting line next to some real factory bikes(wasn't RJ one of them?). My cousin and I were the only two people in the theater when debut. Corny?? Definitely, but I'd watch it again if I had it on tape.
motogeeze
10/22/2009 7:42pm
I think Broc Glover , David Bailey and others were in the film as well. at least they tried to make it as real as possible but the plot was about as hokey as you could get. .I do remember it was so cool to see the top riders of the time in a movie and one about motocross!! Unheard of!
Speaking of bad classic mx movies...how bout "Sidewinder 1"? (1977?) The story line involved a "new" racing motorcycle and the drama surrounding racing it and stuff if I remember right. I do remember the bike was actually an AW Maico, painted blue with aluminum three or four spoke mag wheels and disc brakes...I think Dirt Bike actually tested the bikes used in the move in an article. They were really pretty trick lookin at the time. Maybe WheelSmith had a hand in settin em up??
BVS40FL
10/23/2009 7:59am
John I was at the supercross event while they filmed that movie wrenching for Brian McElroy when he was riding for Cagiva. But it was Dallas not Houston. I remember them riding around the pits with cameras in the back of a truck filming the actors driving a truck that was actually getting towed behind the camera truck. Also remember the stupid junk bike that was supposedly thrown together with spare parts because the bad guys trashed the hero's bike before the race.. And Sidewinder 1 was a much better movie. It was filmed on outdoor tracks and had those blue Maicos as the stars. Isn't there a scene in that one where the dude's moto starts while he's in the Port O Jon and he come running out and jumps on his bike to catch up?

The Shop

CDswinehart
10/23/2009 12:58pm
BV is right, the "action" was shot in Dallas, with a very patient crowd. Just plain bad all around. Mild amusement to horror at what was unfolding was on every one's face. One of the companies we rep'ed at the time was talked into donating quite a bit of product. Oh, well, gave some riders a pay check for a short while.

Is McElroy still in Brooksville, or there abouts?
DANIELINS
10/23/2009 3:28pm
I was the race team manager at o'neal when the producers came in with a list of freebies that they wanted for this film, they told us that answer, axo, etc. etc. gave them tons of stuff... we gave them stickers and banners, later talking to the other clothing guys we found out that thats all they got from them... went to the private screening at culver city studios later that year, i think glover was the only star there but i may be wrong afterward the cast and crew had a party at a bar in hollywood, good times, cheesey movie..
JOHN CHOATE
10/23/2009 7:17pm
BVS40FL wrote:
John I was at the supercross event while they filmed that movie wrenching for Brian McElroy when he was riding for Cagiva. But it was Dallas...
John I was at the supercross event while they filmed that movie wrenching for Brian McElroy when he was riding for Cagiva. But it was Dallas not Houston. I remember them riding around the pits with cameras in the back of a truck filming the actors driving a truck that was actually getting towed behind the camera truck. Also remember the stupid junk bike that was supposedly thrown together with spare parts because the bad guys trashed the hero's bike before the race.. And Sidewinder 1 was a much better movie. It was filmed on outdoor tracks and had those blue Maicos as the stars. Isn't there a scene in that one where the dude's moto starts while he's in the Port O Jon and he come running out and jumps on his bike to catch up?
Dallas, not Houston. My bad. Brian McElroy was probably my biggest rival as we both grew up in So. Fla. battling each other nearly every weekend. Tichenor, Turpin, McElroy and I had some great battles during the Fla. Winter Ams, Mini-O's and the other big amateur races in the Eastern U.S. Around '87, I went roadracing and left MX for a long while.

BVS, do you have any contact with Brian any more??

Thanks for the post.
wpark89
3/22/2015 7:10am
The Indian Head Raceway in the movie was Carlsbad.

All the rest of the riding was Indian Dunes area.
Go watch Dukes of Hazzard. Look familiar?
Schwanz22
3/22/2015 8:26pm
Corny now, but I still love that movie!! Right along with The Dirt Bike Kid!!!!! Favorites from my childhood!! I'm from Dallas as well, so that being the "big" destination in the movie was cool.
3/23/2015 5:09pm
It was no 'Stormin' Home', but I vaguely remember watching it a lot just because it was MX themed. I was easily entertained as a child.
reded
3/23/2015 5:23pm
It was no 'Stormin' Home', but I vaguely remember watching it a lot just because it was MX themed. I was easily entertained as a child.
Not sure if you were in the "Stormin Home" thread but if not, is there any chance you have a copy of it?
3/24/2015 2:12am
reded wrote:
Not sure if you were in the "Stormin Home" thread but if not, is there any chance you have a copy of it?
I started that thread lol. Ive been scouring the net but i still havent found a copy. If I do ill post it to mediafire for download. Spoiler alert: it sucks giant balls.
mayzo
3/24/2015 2:41am
motogeeze wrote:
I think Broc Glover , David Bailey and others were in the film as well. at least they tried to make it as real as possible...
I think Broc Glover , David Bailey and others were in the film as well. at least they tried to make it as real as possible but the plot was about as hokey as you could get. .I do remember it was so cool to see the top riders of the time in a movie and one about motocross!! Unheard of!
Speaking of bad classic mx movies...how bout "Sidewinder 1"? (1977?) The story line involved a "new" racing motorcycle and the drama surrounding racing it and stuff if I remember right. I do remember the bike was actually an AW Maico, painted blue with aluminum three or four spoke mag wheels and disc brakes...I think Dirt Bike actually tested the bikes used in the move in an article. They were really pretty trick lookin at the time. Maybe WheelSmith had a hand in settin em up??
Sidewinder 1, I remember that movie. I watched it one Saturday night on TV back in the early 80's.
MCfan4life
3/24/2015 3:03am
You can download it at many of the torrent sites.

BTW JT$ and Nick Wey would punch some of you guys in the balls for some of these unsavory comments TongueLaughing
mb60
3/24/2015 10:24am
reded wrote:
I have a copy of this movie somewhere on a vhs tape. I tried emailing the guy here in Texas that was on the thread but email kicked back. Does anybody have away of getting this old tape on a dvd ?
reded
3/24/2015 10:54am
I wish I did but if you find a way I'll gladly buy a couple copies from you.
Sidecar
3/24/2015 1:50pm

Iv got the issue of Dirt Bike where they test the sidewinder, it was pretty trick for the time. As for Winners Take All, loved that movie, yes it is cheesy but it was the 80s dammit "Rick, rick, rick Mellon, mellon, mellon aaarrrrgggghhhh"

4/28/2018 8:05pm
Anyone know where an answer team hurricane jersey may be available? My younger brother watches this movie 3 times per week and if I could fund a jersey for him would be a hit!!
tireguy111
4/28/2018 9:09pm
Some of the filming was at Barona Oaks raceway on an Indian Reservation.
Manbearpig
5/2/2018 11:27am
I still have it memorized word for word. haha!

In fact I was talking with Carl about his Corvette last weekend and Supercross haha
wpark89
5/2/2018 3:32pm
About 8 years ago 2 sets of authentic from the movie Team Hurricane pants and jersey came up one night on eBay. I bought a set and my buddy (SX privateer at the time) bought the other. He still has his and I sold mine to a super Winners Take All fan in Texas to fund some of my vintage bike projects.

Also I remember Storming Home was on TV one day after school in the late 80s or Early 90s and I recorded half of it...no way could I find that vhs or would it even play now.
5/3/2018 7:15am
thats awesome. I think someone recently made some repro jerseys... if anyone has any idea would love to find one for my brother!!
wpark89
5/3/2018 8:26am
thats awesome. I think someone recently made some repro jerseys... if anyone has any idea would love to find one for my brother!!
It was my buddy that had some gear and shirts made up for the Seattle SX in 2011. Someone local around Seattle made them. You could try to message Greg Crater on Facebook.
5/3/2018 9:53am
(We were kids) and I remember my brother and I would rent "winners take all" and another movie weekly. I cant remember the name of it but it was a Baja buggy/truck movie from the late 80s early 90s where the dude was a drunk and raced buggies and then trucks in the 1000. Anyone remember the name?
Sidecar
5/12/2018 11:58am
(We were kids) and I remember my brother and I would rent "winners take all" and another movie weekly. I cant remember the name of it...
(We were kids) and I remember my brother and I would rent "winners take all" and another movie weekly. I cant remember the name of it but it was a Baja buggy/truck movie from the late 80s early 90s where the dude was a drunk and raced buggies and then trucks in the 1000. Anyone remember the name?
I seem to remember that Baja movie... but I thought it was late 70s not 80s??? Could be a different movie though... I remember one scene where a buggy got to close to a bike, poss in a water splash and the rider fell, jumps to his feet and throws the middle finger at the buggy driver... Not thought of that in years though...
I wonder how many moto movies there have been...

Winners take all
Sidewinder1
Motocrossed
Supercrossed
The dirt bike kid
The team
Stormin Home (I don’t recall ever seeing this one)

Anybody care to add more???
a22
5/12/2018 12:55pm Edited Date/Time 5/12/2018 4:36pm
'Motocross Zombies from Hell', not joking- released in 2007
I watched this (sorry to confess) and it was so rubbish, it actually sort of seemed good, for the crazy story and plot, like a few of these films!
Motocross Zombies from Hell Trailer

I like the 'Hills have Eyes part 2', when they load up the truck and head off to a race in the desert, not really a moto movie but sort of scary, some good little funny silly riding scenes and also if you like having the crap scared out of you! Not seen it for years, but seem to recall a nice YZ490 being in it, maybe wrong on that though- heck- I am going to dig it out from somewhere now and watch it to scare myself senseless.

update- Hmmn- maybe it wasn't as good as I remembered it as a kid! After finding it eventually. Enduro bikes and hillbilly style cannibals, if you like that sort of thing!
Tgo
5/12/2018 5:08pm
(We were kids) and I remember my brother and I would rent "winners take all" and another movie weekly. I cant remember the name of it...
Sidecar wrote:
I seem to remember that Baja movie... but I thought it was late 70s not 80s??? Could be a different movie though... I remember one scene...
I seem to remember that Baja movie... but I thought it was late 70s not 80s??? Could be a different movie though... I remember one scene where a buggy got to close to a bike, poss in a water splash and the rider fell, jumps to his feet and throws the middle finger at the buggy driver... Not thought of that in years though...
I wonder how many moto movies there have been...

Winners take all
Sidewinder1
Motocrossed
Supercrossed
The dirt bike kid
The team
Stormin Home (I don’t recall ever seeing this one)

Anybody care to add more???
Timerider: The Adventure of Lyle Swann (1982)

Post a reply to: Winners take all

The Latest