Why did factory teams use aluminum tanks back in the day?

Mike P.
3/3/2015 4:01pm
Okay…thanks to everyone for chmining in and i now know poowdercoating is out. in fact i decided yesterday that even painting was out and instead I am going to put vinyl decals on it. Now, I know at least one person said don't do this, but I can remove the decal and the sticky backing without to much effort should I decided to down the road. I had thought about polishing the tank and i might still go there, but let me finish with it and post some pics and everyone can let me know what they think. Mike
JamieM
6/19/2015 12:42am
Hi Mike, I am interested in getting a similar tank to yours for my own bike. Could you please let me know where you purchased it from? Jamie
Mike P.
6/19/2015 6:47pm
Jamie,

Let me know if you got my response (I sent it directly to you). Mike
a22
6/20/2015 8:09am
I too wondered and thought it was for weight but seems this is not the case at all.

As already said somewhat, would think as the development of the pre.prod/ prototype evolved, frame angles, geometry, mounting positions may all have changed overtime/ experimented with and the tank too would/may have needed to be adapted to fit the changes. As the cost of making plastic tank for a one off(that may need changing again) is not viable then ally was the choice. Could be altered/ cut / re-welded or even a whole new tank fabricated rather than being restricted to using a stock plastic tank with its inabilty to be modified.

Interesting point what the OP asked why the 90's works type bikes may have often used stock type frames though and yet still chose the ally. There again, could some of these tanks have been somewhat custom made/ aftermarket manufactured rather than actual true 'works' items? Like the European VRP ones sometimes fitted to Mugen types and sometimes other smaller and obscure manufacturers. The VRP also had the air vents which aided breathing/ cooling which was a nice touch. Suppose it is down to if the Ally 'works' tank bolts straight onto a stocker or doesn't fit. Begs the questions, just how 'works' were these tanks exactly and maybe also just how 'stock' were these stock frames exactly?

On impact would imagine the ally to impact inwards and flex to a point, where as plastic may split dumping the fuel? There again, I hardly ever heard of plastic tanks splitting, so probably not that. The welds look lovely though but do not think it was for looks as often they painted them.
Seems abit of a mystery still...

The Shop

kelroy_leon
6/20/2015 9:38am
Mike P. wrote:
Okay…thanks to everyone for chmining in and i now know poowdercoating is out. in fact i decided yesterday that even painting was out and instead I...
Okay…thanks to everyone for chmining in and i now know poowdercoating is out. in fact i decided yesterday that even painting was out and instead I am going to put vinyl decals on it. Now, I know at least one person said don't do this, but I can remove the decal and the sticky backing without to much effort should I decided to down the road. I had thought about polishing the tank and i might still go there, but let me finish with it and post some pics and everyone can let me know what they think. Mike
I have been trying to decide on what to do as well for the KX500.

Maybe a partial graphic on the portion that hangs below the shroud?

Thoughts on just a scrub with a scotch-brite pad?

Mike P.
6/20/2015 8:54pm
Painting the tank is really a matter of taste, but once you paint it, taking the paint off may be more of a pain. I left my tank unpained and went with decals to avoid that situation. Yes, the factories painted theirs, but if they crushed one or put a big dent in it, they simply replaced the tank with another. I chose to use my tank only for display on the bike and to race with the stock plastic tank because the alloy tanks are made of super thin aluminum that dents very easily and I do not have an endless supply of tanks on the shelf. So not riding with this tank was a non brainer given the cost. Know this, if you ride with an alloy tank long enough, you will damage/ding or smash it. As far as painting goes, and this is just my opinion, I think they are worth more unpainted. Mike

Post a reply to: Why did factory teams use aluminum tanks back in the day?

The Latest