fookyoo
2/10/2016 7:19am
Great shot, The Man, great bikes!
True men only ride Open bikes!
The rest are pussies!
Yeh! said the Flyin Finn!
Gdavid
2/10/2016 1:56pm
Here's that very bike being teched in Hillsboro, TX.the day before the Lake Whitney Trans AMA.

BS261
2/10/2016 2:34pm
Great pics both!

The Shop

JineTC
2/11/2016 3:12am
I love old pits shots, Gdavid; thanks for that one. Here's some from the same year from the Orlando round of the Winter-AMA series:

JineTC
2/12/2016 4:03am
The bike that broke in half
I recall that now that you mention it. A Puyallup mud race, if I recall.
Bearuno
2/12/2016 4:18am Edited Date/Time 2/12/2016 4:41am
Livermore, I think - re, RDs bike breaking the steer tube. Decoster went to a full face helmet after that. Very high speed prang, to my dim recollection, that he was lucky to survive.

Is #46 HD Don Kudrowski's (sp?), and, is the last pic Jones on a Jones / Islo?

The Maico - such a tremendously purposeful looking bike of that era. Stackables, West's?, though I seem to think of the number being associated with Adolf Weils Trans AMA campaigns, or Willi Bauers ( sp?).
JineTC
2/12/2016 5:11am
Bearuno wrote:
Livermore, I think - re, RDs bike breaking the steer tube. Decoster went to a full face helmet after that. Very high speed prang, to my...
Livermore, I think - re, RDs bike breaking the steer tube. Decoster went to a full face helmet after that. Very high speed prang, to my dim recollection, that he was lucky to survive.

Is #46 HD Don Kudrowski's (sp?), and, is the last pic Jones on a Jones / Islo?

The Maico - such a tremendously purposeful looking bike of that era. Stackables, West's?, though I seem to think of the number being associated with Adolf Weils Trans AMA campaigns, or Willi Bauers ( sp?).
Livermore, hmmm, sounds right.

The H-D is Staten's, and you've got a good eye, that is Gary on the Jones/Islo. The Maico was that of Mosler's.

Living in the past, a great Tull title and also very rewarding.
Bearuno
2/12/2016 9:21am
Yes, Gaylon Mosiers Maico! - I had a strange recollection of who it might have been, but suffered brain fade and was grasping at names. The 13 and the Thor swingarm should have been the clinchers for me.

I remember a classic multi picture set from MXA, of Gaylon getting off his (earlier model) Maico on a start line, to start another blokes Maico - all with a dryly funny caption about the whole thing.

I still have a few Wheelsmith Maico 'Superman' emblem fender stickers - much treasured, they are.
JineTC
2/12/2016 3:04pm
Bearuno wrote:
Yes, Gaylon Mosiers Maico! - I had a strange recollection of who it might have been, but suffered brain fade and was grasping at names. The...
Yes, Gaylon Mosiers Maico! - I had a strange recollection of who it might have been, but suffered brain fade and was grasping at names. The 13 and the Thor swingarm should have been the clinchers for me.

I remember a classic multi picture set from MXA, of Gaylon getting off his (earlier model) Maico on a start line, to start another blokes Maico - all with a dryly funny caption about the whole thing.

I still have a few Wheelsmith Maico 'Superman' emblem fender stickers - much treasured, they are.
I think I can vaguely recall at least one image from that photo sequence. Reading MXA and Dirt Bike Magazine as a teen sealed my quirky humor, sense of wit and writing style for the rest of my life, or at least to the present. I'm grateful for the influence they had, and wonder how much they've changed to fit these modern times

Here's two examples of the dryly funny captions as you mention, from MXA's 1975 Trans-AMA Special publication. They still speak to me, anyway:

Here's three photos associated with the pit scenes I included above. The first two are of Gaylon, how can you get enough?

He's battling with Florida's Monte McCoy in that second pic.

Rocket:

I need to make a correction to those pit pics, that being the LaPorte pic and that of Gaylon's bike are actually from 1977, as are the Gaylon pics here. The 1977 on Danny's trophy should have been a clue.

I have no Wheelsmith stickers, but trust me when I say the rest of my stuff from that era is cherished. I noticed you're in Australia; a relocated "Yank" or Aussie? Too bad we can't do some bench racing in person.

Bearuno
2/12/2016 5:36pm
An Aussie, who grew up surrounded by Motorcycles and Motorcycle racing. And, BMX and MTB (MTB well before it 'officially' existed).

First job in the industry with Competition Development ( after turning up at BMX races and beating their sponsored Mongoose riders, on frames I made) who were Australia's version of FMF / PC / DG / Miller Mano etc. Several of Australia's highest profile tuners got their start at Comp Devel. They imported many products during the 70s dirt bike explosion / suspension revolution. Run by Steve and Jan Meadows, both expat Yanks from the Bay area. Both, wonderful people that had a big influence on me.

Made hundreds / a few thousand Quicksilver BMX frames ( and I continue to make Bicycle and Motorcycle frames ), started with motorcycle suspension through Comp Devel, and worked for decades in the motorcycle industry here. I'm happy to be out of it nowadays, being semi retired. I get to several MXGPs each year and, usually the MXDN, and am considering using my own money, for once, to get to either a few US Nationals this year, or, perhaps the 2 US MXGPs. Most of my travel to races is through 'contra deals' - free travel and keep / pocket money, for work for a few companies I have had long term relationships with, one, since the 70s. I've also been lucky enough to work at the IOMTT for quite a few years. I might just dump the idea of the US 'tour', as I've been there many, many times, for privately attending the Classic TT - I'd love to get to the IOM as purely a spectator.
JineTC
2/14/2016 2:06am
Bearuno wrote:
An Aussie, who grew up surrounded by Motorcycles and Motorcycle racing. And, BMX and MTB (MTB well before it 'officially' existed). First job in the industry...
An Aussie, who grew up surrounded by Motorcycles and Motorcycle racing. And, BMX and MTB (MTB well before it 'officially' existed).

First job in the industry with Competition Development ( after turning up at BMX races and beating their sponsored Mongoose riders, on frames I made) who were Australia's version of FMF / PC / DG / Miller Mano etc. Several of Australia's highest profile tuners got their start at Comp Devel. They imported many products during the 70s dirt bike explosion / suspension revolution. Run by Steve and Jan Meadows, both expat Yanks from the Bay area. Both, wonderful people that had a big influence on me.

Made hundreds / a few thousand Quicksilver BMX frames ( and I continue to make Bicycle and Motorcycle frames ), started with motorcycle suspension through Comp Devel, and worked for decades in the motorcycle industry here. I'm happy to be out of it nowadays, being semi retired. I get to several MXGPs each year and, usually the MXDN, and am considering using my own money, for once, to get to either a few US Nationals this year, or, perhaps the 2 US MXGPs. Most of my travel to races is through 'contra deals' - free travel and keep / pocket money, for work for a few companies I have had long term relationships with, one, since the 70s. I've also been lucky enough to work at the IOMTT for quite a few years. I might just dump the idea of the US 'tour', as I've been there many, many times, for privately attending the Classic TT - I'd love to get to the IOM as purely a spectator.
That's a cool story and background, Bearuno. What's interesting to me is that you're so well-tuned and informed on the American motocross scene from forty years ago. I threw that Jone/Islo image in wondering if anyone would recognize who and what was featured. Your ID'ing it and being from Australia says a lot!

Post a reply to: Vintage DeCoster, c. Fall of 1975

The Latest