Suzuki RM250 Project

nine1seven
Edited Date/Time 4/13/2017 5:21pm
I thought I'd post up some pics of a 2004 RM250 I am building. It's actually my friend James' bike, I'm just doing the work. He has a lot of really trick parts to make it just like Pastrana's Factory RM from 2003. It's a sweet ride to begin with, but it will be a lot cooler when we get done with it.

Photobucket

I get to sell the parts we take off this bike. If anyone here wants the parts before I put them on ebay email me at: flesche917@hotmail.com. The plastic, complete wheels, triple clamps, forks, shock, clutch and ignition covers, clutch basket and hub, shift lever, front brake reservoir and more is available.

I test fit some of the parts before I disassembled the bike. I would hate to lace up the wheels and mount tires and then find out the hubs are wrong. Here's the rear hub.

Photobucket

Everything lines up great so next I'm going to lace the wheels up.
|
Stooperbike
2/16/2012 9:44am
That bike looks really nice as is. Be great to see it when its done
leeroy
2/16/2012 3:42pm
ok, lets compare ! travis 03 race bike !
nine1seven
2/19/2012 9:32am
OK Leeroy, why do you have to pull something like that? Wow! Obviously, it will be impossible to top the original, but I'll do my best! What's the deal, do you actually own TP's factory bike?

I laced up the wheels...billet aluminum Mg brown anodized hubs, Stainless Excel Spokes and aluminum nipples, Excel yellow rims:

Photobucket

I spent forever polishing each spoke. It's fun lacing new rims as they true up perfectly. Lacing the rear hub was a bear, though. I had to take a die grinder to each outside hole to relieve pressure on the spoke so it would line up right with the rim holes.

Next up is to mount tires and work on the frame before it goes to powder coat.

The Shop

leeroy
2/21/2012 7:03pm
hey calm down , your doing a great job, looks good !
CamP
2/21/2012 8:13pm
This will be sweet. DJ!
barkhard696
2/24/2012 6:54pm
K, so here's an outline of the project going on. We're building my ’04 RM250 to be a copy of Pastrana’s ’03 SOBE team bike.

Yeah – so why use a ’04 to make a ’03? I really loved the ‘03 race bikes, but unfortunately: 1) I was in grad school and living on Top Ramen at the time; and 2) the ’04 (stock-versus stock) bikes were a lot better.

Plus, it helped that I'd traded a friend my ’97 RM250 for the '04, and the project was born.

Anyway, so here’s the bag. We’ve got the SOBE team graphics, check.

I had to quite literally search the world over, but I actually found a complete RG3 A-Kit suspension -- built in late ’03 for Mike Kiedrowski’s Team Suzuki offroad bike. This is the 49-mm fork tubes, hand-made shock body, super-trick coatings, etc. So, actual, no BS semi-works suspension. I even called RG3 and they ran the serial number on were able to tell me their service history.

I also have a set of '06 RMZ450 PC A-Kits with the components to work on the bike -- we may use these later, but obviously, they don't come with the background of having been a factory rider's suspenders. DJ and I kind of dig on the whole "used in anger" vibe.

DJ was -- incredibly -- able to source a set of Pro Circuit triple works triple clamps. The wheels are the authentic Team Suzuki Yellow Excel rims (the ones not available to the general public, at the time I thought I'd really scored in getting them). I got a deal I couldn't turn down on the RAD Mfg billet hubs – we’re pretty happy with how these turned out, when DJ built the wheels.

We’ve stripped the frame, welded mounts for a case guard just like the team bikes, and fabbed mounts for the carbon fiber glide plate. (Yes, we need to add a picture for this.)

The fork guards, chain guide, case guard and frame guards are all Lightspeed carbon fiber. We are adapting a set of gigantic Lightspeed Ti footpegs for a RM450Z for it – those pegs are gorgeous.

Other than the triple clamps (which on the team bikes were RG3), we’re sticking pretty close to the sponsor manufacturers for parts – TAG sprockets, Pro Taper bar, Michelin tires, etc. We’re also are using a complete Hinson clutch and billet cover.

The idea is to have a "retro update" – it’s not going to be a bolt-for-bolt replica. We have some Ti fasteners and some other cool stuff -- some of which may or may not be in good taste... DJ and I will have fun with this build; the idea is NOT to clone the factory (this is a LOT easier to convince DJ on a Suzuki, than on his beloved 1996 McGrath Hondas).

So -- expect to see some different experiments as this build progresses.

Next week, we’re going to be sending the frame (now that we’ve finished welding) to the powdercoater for gloss black. We’ll re-zinc the fasteners that we’re not replacing with Ti -- when we get the frame and fasteners back, the bike should go together pretty quickly.

I talked with Tony Bosworth at CEET/Vintage Suzuki, and he’s making me a custom yellow-black gripper seatcover with tall foam. We both agreed that it’s a pretty ugly design -- but it’s correct for what we’re trying to build.

One Industries, who did the original graphics and seatcover, ONLY did the numberplate backgrounds for the team bikes – that means they never did a Pastrana replica numberplate for the general public. Both they and Decal Works basically laughed in my ear when I asked if they would reproduce these.
nine1seven
2/25/2012 5:15pm
Mounted Michelin Starcross tires with Motion Pro Aluminum Bead Locks. I'm in the habit of weighing tires and FYI the rear Michelin is a little heavy at 13lbs. The front is about average weight at 9.5 lbs. It's amazing how much tire weights vary.

Photobucket

I welded brackets for the skid plate and case guard to thread into. It's a lot lighter and factory looking than the aluminum J hooks that come with the skid plate for sure.

Photobucket

The frame is ready to be powder coated now. Does anyone here know for sure what shade of black it should be? I've heard gloss black is the way to go.

Next up is to clean up the engine cases and install a Hinson Clutch.
Moto Mofo
2/27/2012 8:32am
What a cool project... Looking forward to future updates. Keep up the good work, guys!

Barkhard, I absolutely LOVE that CR in your avatar. I'm trying to find a '93 myself.
leeroy
2/29/2012 4:28pm
our frames were gloss black with clear coat !
2/29/2012 4:34pm
nine1seven wrote:
OK Leeroy, why do you have to pull something like that? Wow! Obviously, it will be impossible to top the original, but I'll do my best...
OK Leeroy, why do you have to pull something like that? Wow! Obviously, it will be impossible to top the original, but I'll do my best! What's the deal, do you actually own TP's factory bike?

I laced up the wheels...billet aluminum Mg brown anodized hubs, Stainless Excel Spokes and aluminum nipples, Excel yellow rims:

Photobucket

I spent forever polishing each spoke. It's fun lacing new rims as they true up perfectly. Lacing the rear hub was a bear, though. I had to take a die grinder to each outside hole to relieve pressure on the spoke so it would line up right with the rim holes.

Next up is to mount tires and work on the frame before it goes to powder coat.
where did you get the yellow rims?
barkhard696
2/29/2012 5:32pm
>Barkhard, I absolutely LOVE that CR in your avatar. I'm trying to find a '93 myself.

Thanks, Moto Mofo. That bike is how DJ and I originally got together -- I swapped him for it. DJ did the resto, I did a lot of detail stuff to it, and DJ & I did the 47-mm Showa conversion. At some point I'll be getting a set of custom clamps from Emig and some other stuff. DJ and I will probably do a thred on the 93 when we work on it -- after this, we're going back to redo my 95 MC replica, and then we'll complete the 93.

>where did you get the yellow rims?

I wish I could tell, you DirtBikeKing164, but I can't remember, this was nearly two years back when I got them. I do remember the guy said they were the last set he had that were correct for a 250.

You can get regular Excels that are re-anodized from RAD Mfg.

If I recall correctly, I had to do A LOT of research to find the dude who had actual yellow rims. Things may be different -- maybe easier-- now.

The Pro Wheels are readily available and are reasonably affordable, but their anodizing is more green. It's subtle unless you have the two different brands of rims together to compare.

>our frames were gloss black with clear coat !

Thanks, Leeroy.
suzook241
3/1/2012 7:09am
I can hook anyone up with true yellow excel wheels, send a PM if interested, I didn't realize there is such a demand...

I did speak with DJ, he is interested as well

Thanks
NorcalVet
3/2/2012 7:41pm Edited Date/Time 3/2/2012 7:43pm
.... here's some ideas for you.
I'll be using them also.

-- killer looking build. http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/My-RM250-2-stroke-build,1231053?page=1

Supposedly 09-12 RMZ front fender & plate basically bolt right up, after drilling a couple holes.
-- He also shaved the side plates to look more modern/ rmz like.

I thought I share, since I'm picking up a 06 RM 250 in pristine condition on Sun am,
NorcalVet
3/2/2012 7:42pm
suzook241 wrote:
I can hook anyone up with true yellow excel wheels, send a PM if interested, I didn't realize there is such a demand... I did speak...
I can hook anyone up with true yellow excel wheels, send a PM if interested, I didn't realize there is such a demand...

I did speak with DJ, he is interested as well

Thanks
can you pm me info....

I can do the same for anything Yosh.....
nine1seven
3/17/2012 7:53am
Hey guys,

I should have some updates soon. I'm waiting for the frame to come back from Powder Coat. It's going to be gloss black with clear just like LEEROY recommended. By the way, LEEROY, is it Lee McCollum we have here? If so, it's awesome to have a factory go to guy for info!

I'm also waiting on a clutch holder tool I want to borrow from my buddy to install the Hinson clutch. Other than that it's just detail work left. James has pretty much all the parts together now. Oh, and I think he is going to have me send the cylinder/head to Pro Circuit so it will be a little wait for that as well.

DJ
CRFracer117
Fantasy
3835th
3/21/2012 6:33am
NorcalVet wrote:
.... here's some ideas for you. I'll be using them also. -- killer looking build. [url=http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/My-RM250-2-stroke-build,1231053?page=1]http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/My-RM250-2-stroke-build,1231053?page=1[/url] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v350/Diggermx29/689.jpg[/img] Supposedly 09-12 RMZ front fender & plate basically bolt...
.... here's some ideas for you.
I'll be using them also.

-- killer looking build. http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/My-RM250-2-stroke-build,1231053?page=1

Supposedly 09-12 RMZ front fender & plate basically bolt right up, after drilling a couple holes.
-- He also shaved the side plates to look more modern/ rmz like.

I thought I share, since I'm picking up a 06 RM 250 in pristine condition on Sun am,
Good looking bike there, I was wondering about the side panels, for sure makes the rear end look a little better.

As for the 09-12 RMZ Front fender and number plate just bolting up that will not happen the 450 front fender bolt holes in the front are angled at a 45 degree angle running into the triple clamps, it could work if you had the lower clamp, maybe some one can clarify this for me.
nine1seven
3/23/2012 7:05am
The frame is finished. It is really glossy with the clear coat applied. I couldn't wait to see how forks and front wheel would look on it.

Photobucket

The forks and shock are trick looking RG3 A-Kit units. James called them with the code on the fork caps and sure enough they are Mike Kiedrowski's suspension from when he ran an RM for the Suzuki off road team. They were able to tell us the valving and spring rate specs so it's cool to confirm it has a factory pedigree! My buddy John at JM Racing had a set of used but perfect condition Pro Circuit clamps for these forks so that was lucky since appearantly PC no longer has them available.

This weekend I hope to get the Hinson clutch installed.
nine1seven
4/21/2012 9:38pm
A few more updates:

I installed a complete Hinson clutch, hub, basket and pressure plate.

Photobucket

I talked the boss into switching those gold bars for silver. Cleaned and greased the linkage and swingarm bearings, and bolted it all up along with the shock and engine bottom end:

Photobucket

FedEx just delivered the ported cylinder and head from Pro Circuit so next I'll get the motor finished up.
nine1seven
5/8/2012 1:10pm
Sweet! You can upload photo's directly now!

I received the Pro Circuit modified cylinder and head. Installed a complete new top end since the old piston was all detonated up along the top edge of the piston. Nothing but race gas in this thing from now on.

The skid plate goes pretty good with the black frame. It would have been a shame to have to use those J hooks.

PC didn't return one of the head nuts, so I'm waiting on a new one to arrive. Then I'll torque everything to spec and the motor is done. The rest should go pretty quick. Maybe next weekend I'll be able to finish this thing up.
TR3NT
5/10/2012 7:52pm
Been following this from the start and decided to sign up just to say how much I love it and the attention to detail. Can't wait to see it done and it has definately given me the bug to buy another RM250
nine1seven
5/13/2012 6:10pm
Hey Thanks Col and TR3NT!

I didn't quite finish it this weekend, but I did make some progress. I'm taking my time using anti-seize on all the fasteners and the powder coat has to be removed in some areas where things bolt together and where the electrical system needs to ground to the frame.

I jetted the carb as PC recommended and set the float height. It's gonna be fun firing this thing up! Hopefully it will be ready next weekend.

Stooperbike
5/13/2012 6:20pm
That bike looks freggen awsome!!!! But one small question...what the f is that van thing on the lift behind it??
nine1seven
5/13/2012 6:55pm
That bike looks freggen awsome!!!! But one small question...what the f is that van thing on the lift behind it??
Man that's my buddy Rudy's project! It's going to be an original moto hauler for sure.

It's a 1940's all aluminum body bread delivery truck that he is putting on a modern GMC van chassis. Some interesting highlights include an enclosed generator and toilet/sink (all metal from the Huntsville prison). He sent out artist renderings of it (visible hanging on the side) to get the sponsors that are donating all sorts of stuff to the project.

There is a thread about moto haulers on there that I plan to post pics of it on when it is finished.
TR3NT
5/13/2012 7:03pm
is that works connection water pump cover an off the shelf item or custom made?
nine1seven
5/13/2012 7:32pm
TR3NT wrote:
is that works connection water pump cover an off the shelf item or custom made?
Its an off the shelf WC piece but I don't know what bike it was for. I did modify it a little to follow the frame rail and still position the bend at the water pump. Not exactly like the factory Suzuki version, but it is functional. Unless you compared them side by side, it would pass for the factory set up I think.
nine1seven
5/17/2012 10:26pm
Yep, I did a bunch tonight. I put a Light Speed Chain Guide and DID ERT chain on, cleaned, oiled and installed the air filter, all the plastic, Works Connection Elite Clutch perch, alum. throttle tube and grips, and PC pegs.

All that is left is: apply the graphics and seat cover, install an over size front caliper carrier and brake lines, add brake fluid and bleed the brakes, safety wire the grips, add oil and coolant and fire it up!

Post a reply to: Suzuki RM250 Project

The Latest