Suzuki RM125 1977 crankshaft

narrowfarm
Edited Date/Time 11/5/2014 1:35pm
Hello, I have this crankshaft for a 1977 Suzuki RM125 and was wondering if there is suppose to be a factory grove ? it looks like where the oil seal is suppose to be on the flywheel side, . You maybe able to see in the photo.Thanks

|
yzweldon
10/23/2014 11:13pm
No the groove is not there on a brand new crank, that is where the seal has worn into the crank, you can buff and emery cloth it and it should be ok unless it is really deep
narrowfarm
10/24/2014 1:40pm
Hello, I am waiting for the crankshaft to show up in the mail. The person I bought it from said the crankshaft was good but never mentioned anything about a grove or not where the oil seal is suppose to be. I did notice though that when I did rebuild my Suzuki RM125 1977 last year, I put new seals in it and I believe I was able to slide the seals in the case so it would line up with the crankshaft for the cleanest point on the crankshaft for best sealing before the seal went into the case.. I work on so many different engines and just not 100% sure if it was that engine.
Does anyone know if this is possible to move the seal location in the case a little bit to avoid the grove on the crankshaft? thanks
78rm125
10/24/2014 3:53pm
Maybe you can get a speedy sleeve for that size.

The Shop

10/24/2014 4:43pm
You might be able to move the seal a fraction, just have to size it up when installing.

Many bearing houses offer seals of varying thickness. You may be able to match one that is a millimeter or half mil narrower than the stock seal to get a new wear position on the crank half.
narrowfarm
10/24/2014 4:54pm
What is a speedy sleeve??? is there some machining of the crankshaft that may have to be done??? I may also start to look at bearing houses to see my options,,,,, Thanks
10/24/2014 7:09pm
A good bearing house will have the sleeve repair kit also. Basically a thin bushing that is interference fit to the shaft end, to provide a fresh surface for the seal area. Most allow use of the OEM sized seal.
narrowfarm
10/24/2014 8:23pm
Hello, I looked up online at REDI Sleeve and I believe I found the sleeve that I need. I still have to measure the crankshaft for sure, but the bearing on the flywheel side calls for 25mm inside diameter, and the seal rides on the same size shaft..
Redi sleeve makes part number 99098 and that is what I think I need, but again , I still have to measure when I get the crankshaft. Only downside I can see to using the sleeve is that every time you split the case , ( I Hope not to often) I will have to install a new sleeve. I also read on how to remove the sleeve, which will be no good after removal, but for around $30 that's ok!.
Still I never knew about these sleeve kits,,, good to know for other applications in the future!!
I talked with the person who sold me the crankshaft,, and its on it's way to my home in a few days. He is will to work with me or take it back for a complete refund. That is nice, was glad to hear that someone made a mistake telling me it was good and is willing to help out !! But I am really hoping that I can make the crankshaft work!!
Thanks again for the information!!
WRH
11/3/2014 11:53am
Can you turn the seal and install it backwards? Or could you simply find a thinner seal?With the same O.d. and I.D.? But with less thickness.
I know we used to put a larger L.H. Bearing in the 77 RM125's because the cases would get worn out.
narrowfarm
11/5/2014 1:35pm
Thanks for the ideas!
I may try the sleeve trick soon and get back to everyone. I didn't think about turning the seal backwards.to see where it lines up with the grove. Also I may try a seal house to see if I can get a different thickness but will less of a thickness be ok? .
Thanks again!

Post a reply to: Suzuki RM125 1977 crankshaft

The Latest