Suzuki DLS Setup

captmoto
Edited Date/Time 11/23/2015 7:11pm
I bolted everything up on my 79 RM250 without any problems but I am having issues with the brake itself. I am running the D model yellow 43mm forks and dls panel with new Motion Pro cable. The issue is the travel and mushiness at the lever. The lever goes all the way to the grip and feels like a bungee cord. There seems to be brake arm travel through the whole lever travel. Is there a setup/timing trick to the brake arm? I will replace the brake shoes next and would like opinions on EBC vs. OE brake shoes. Thanks
|
sandman768
11/19/2015 1:30pm

I just completed 84 rm complete front end on my 82 250z, I disassembled the brake assy. Cleaned & greased brake arm shafts ect. Played with adjusters until I figured how to make the pads hit hub braking surface as evenly as possible. Still had to make some adjustments when wheel installed for the first time but have it working pretty good now, pretty firm lever, for a drum brake! My brake shoes were decent, original Suzuki, did not replace them
captmoto
11/19/2015 3:13pm
Thanks, I have an 83 so the brake panel is different. I don't have the adjuster on the brake panel like yours.I can see where yours would be easier to adjust.
wolfy0067
11/23/2015 4:00am
I did a couple of these conversions myself, did the same as above, disassembled and greased all moving parts, adjusted the link till both sets of pads laid on the cams, reassembled test rode and disassemble looking for the high spots on the pads, sanded till got full contact, lastly, keep the front axel a little loose, spin the front wheel apply the brakes and hold it till you fully tighten the front axel, this will help center the brakes in the drum.

There is a lot of different method to getting the duel pull brakes to work, this has been successful for me in the past and doesn't cost any money to do.
captmoto
11/23/2015 7:11pm
Good call Wolfy, I figured out the major problem. I took it apart and didn't get the arms clocked in right. Too low was too tight. Too high gave slop. I took the time to time it right and got the slop out of it. I'll get new shoes and probably have them arced at Race Tech.

Post a reply to: Suzuki DLS Setup

The Latest