Stock Yamahas in the works bike age

Falcon
Fantasy
856th
Today's Racerhead speaks about the 1982 Colorado National, wherein Rick Johnson narrowly lost the 250 MX National Championship to Donnie Hansen. In that article, there's a picture of RJ riding his '82 250, which I always thought was an OW250, not a regular YZ. However, the caption reads, "Ricky Johnson had the '82 AMA 250 National Championship on lockdown before collapsing the front wheel on his stock YZ250 in the first moto in Colorado."

I remember Yamaha switching to production-based bikes before the works bike ban in 1986, but I could have sworn it was only in 1985 or '84-'85.

Historians? What year was it that Yamaha stopped racing works bikes in AMA events?

|
chuckie108
6/9/2017 3:47pm
Yamaha had works bikes through '83. RJ was a support rider in '82, so he was on a production based 250, while Bob, Broc and Too tall were on works bikes. (Probably not a bad deal because the '82 OW works bikes were rumored to be awful) RJ got his one an only year on works bikes in '83(unfortunately missed a big chunk of the year with a hip injury). Come '84, Broc and RJ were on production bikes. You can see RJ's at TLD. Stock '84 YZ with ported cylinder, Ohlins shock, Simmons kitted fork. RJ's '84 250 and Broc's '85 500 outdoor titles have to be some of the biggest upsets and most under appreciated titles in MX history. Beating works Hondas at their zenith on production YZ's!
notme
6/9/2017 4:59pm
There was a story on here about rj and that bike. Yamaha put a huge effort into making the bike look stock when it was actually loaded with works parts.
Maybe someone here can verify the story. Too bad about the front wheel, that would have been a bit of a shocker if he won the title on a "stock" yz.
Sully
6/9/2017 7:19pm
chuckie108 wrote:
Yamaha had works bikes through '83. RJ was a support rider in '82, so he was on a production based 250, while Bob, Broc and Too...
Yamaha had works bikes through '83. RJ was a support rider in '82, so he was on a production based 250, while Bob, Broc and Too tall were on works bikes. (Probably not a bad deal because the '82 OW works bikes were rumored to be awful) RJ got his one an only year on works bikes in '83(unfortunately missed a big chunk of the year with a hip injury). Come '84, Broc and RJ were on production bikes. You can see RJ's at TLD. Stock '84 YZ with ported cylinder, Ohlins shock, Simmons kitted fork. RJ's '84 250 and Broc's '85 500 outdoor titles have to be some of the biggest upsets and most under appreciated titles in MX history. Beating works Hondas at their zenith on production YZ's!
I've said it before, but you have to think Glover was pissed when Yamaha built that badass YZM500. All those years of busting his ass to beat Bailey on a stock YZ490, and Yamaha waits until after the production rule goes into affect to build a one-off world beater.
chuckie108
6/9/2017 7:44pm
Sully wrote:
I've said it before, but you have to think Glover was pissed when Yamaha built that badass YZM500. All those years of busting his ass to...
I've said it before, but you have to think Glover was pissed when Yamaha built that badass YZM500. All those years of busting his ass to beat Bailey on a stock YZ490, and Yamaha waits until after the production rule goes into affect to build a one-off world beater.
Right?!?! I feel a little sorry for Glover. Suffers through the prime of his career riding what appears to be inferior equipment, but in the mean time still wins 6 outdoor titles. Then RJ jumps on Hondas and becomes unbeatable while Broc stays loyal to Yamaha. Then he wins the last SX of his career and ceremoniously walks away to develop KTM's in Europe, and Yamaha does nothing. Still one of the more under-rated champions of our sport. I always wonder if the current guys realize how gnarly that dude at the Dunlop truck really was!

The Shop

Ted722
6/9/2017 7:51pm
^^^ Yes. A helluva starter too.
DoctorJD
6/10/2017 5:13am
notme wrote:
There was a story on here about rj and that bike. Yamaha put a huge effort into making the bike look stock when it was actually...
There was a story on here about rj and that bike. Yamaha put a huge effort into making the bike look stock when it was actually loaded with works parts.
Maybe someone here can verify the story. Too bad about the front wheel, that would have been a bit of a shocker if he won the title on a "stock" yz.
There's an "After Hours" interview with RJ where he talks about this incident. He specifically mentions the "Z-spokes" when he's talking about the wheel disintegrating, so I'm assuming he was running stock hubs at the very least. Great interview if ya'll haven't seen it. He talks about the incident on the 82' YZ at the 4:45 mark.

https://youtu.be/KthsWdVLHvA?ecver=1
6/10/2017 7:23am Edited Date/Time 6/10/2017 7:34am
DoctorJD wrote:
There's an "After Hours" interview with RJ where he talks about this incident. He specifically mentions the "Z-spokes" when he's talking about the wheel disintegrating, so...
There's an "After Hours" interview with RJ where he talks about this incident. He specifically mentions the "Z-spokes" when he's talking about the wheel disintegrating, so I'm assuming he was running stock hubs at the very least. Great interview if ya'll haven't seen it. He talks about the incident on the 82' YZ at the 4:45 mark.

https://youtu.be/KthsWdVLHvA?ecver=1
Hmmm. Z spokes did not come on the production YZ's until 1984.

Looks like straight pull spokes to me.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tblazier/6668252343/in/album-721576275779…
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
6/10/2017 2:00pm
Sully wrote:
I've said it before, but you have to think Glover was pissed when Yamaha built that badass YZM500. All those years of busting his ass to...
chuckie108 wrote:
Right?!?! I feel a little sorry for Glover. Suffers through the prime of his career riding what appears to be inferior equipment, but in the mean...
Right?!?! I feel a little sorry for Glover. Suffers through the prime of his career riding what appears to be inferior equipment, but in the mean time still wins 6 outdoor titles. Then RJ jumps on Hondas and becomes unbeatable while Broc stays loyal to Yamaha. Then he wins the last SX of his career and ceremoniously walks away to develop KTM's in Europe, and Yamaha does nothing. Still one of the more under-rated champions of our sport. I always wonder if the current guys realize how gnarly that dude at the Dunlop truck really was!
I agree and Glover beat Bailey and his works Honda when it should not have even been close, I feel Glover does not get near enough credit for winning on the YZ490.
MaxPower
6/11/2017 8:53pm Edited Date/Time 6/11/2017 8:56pm
Think about it, The Works Hondas were the trickest factory machines the sport of motocross have ever seen with the team behind them to match
.And Broc and RJ were beating them on bikes that started life in dealerships.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
6/12/2017 1:03pm
Thanks guys, I knew I wasn't going crazy. I should have remembered Lechein's '83 baloney slicer bike and known immediately that Yamaha still had works bikes in '82. I never knew that about RJ beinv a support rider at the time.
The Sneak
6/12/2017 5:11pm
Broc's 83 490 was a legit works bike. It was air cooled but had a power valve, and had linkage similar to what the 1986 production models would later have. He also ran Simons forks at one time but that might have been in 82?

His 83 factory 250 looks pretty sweet too. They seem to roll that one out on occasion.
Tbteam
6/16/2017 1:08pm
Sully wrote:
chuckie108 wrote:
Right?!?! I feel a little sorry for Glover. Suffers through the prime of his career riding what appears to be inferior equipment, but in the mean...
lostboy819 wrote:
I agree and Glover beat Bailey and his works Honda when it should not have even been close, I feel Glover does not get near enough...
I agree and Glover beat Bailey and his works Honda when it should not have even been close, I feel Glover does not get near enough credit for winning on the YZ490.
In 84 it wasn't close. DB went 14-2 in motos I believe. He said that he felt so bad for Broc that he actually backed it down late in the season.

The problem was, David got a big head going in to 85 and coasted. He thought that the previous season was such a laugher that he would easily win. Broc got really serious, david didn't.

In 86, DB was back to form. He was the best he'd ever been when he got hurt. He'll be the first to say it.
Sully
6/16/2017 5:55pm
chuckie108 wrote:
lostboy819 wrote:
I agree and Glover beat Bailey and his works Honda when it should not have even been close, I feel Glover does not get near enough...
Tbteam wrote:
In 84 it wasn't close. DB went 14-2 in motos I believe. He said that he felt so bad for Broc that he actually backed it...
In 84 it wasn't close. DB went 14-2 in motos I believe. He said that he felt so bad for Broc that he actually backed it down late in the season.

The problem was, David got a big head going in to 85 and coasted. He thought that the previous season was such a laugher that he would easily win. Broc got really serious, david didn't.

In 86, DB was back to form. He was the best he'd ever been when he got hurt. He'll be the first to say it.
Well there's a bit of trivia that I had no idea about. When Broc started winning in '85, was David just too far behind the 8 Ball on bike setup to catch up, or did he just kind of write the season off with the plan of whooping ass in '86?
chuckie108
6/16/2017 6:08pm
Man!!!! DB was such a bad dude too- to this day I can't believe what a humble cool guy he seems to be through the small interactions I've had with him via email/social media. His style, gear, attitude, etc,, will never be matched!
Tbteam
6/17/2017 4:59am
lostboy819 wrote:
Tbteam wrote:
In 84 it wasn't close. DB went 14-2 in motos I believe. He said that he felt so bad for Broc that he actually backed it...

Sully wrote:
Well there's a bit of trivia that I had no idea about. When Broc started winning in '85, was David just too far behind the 8...
Well there's a bit of trivia that I had no idea about. When Broc started winning in '85, was David just too far behind the 8 Ball on bike setup to catch up, or did he just kind of write the season off with the plan of whooping ass in '86?
He just got caught off guard and never really recovered. To the point where he was so pissed that he even didn't attend the last round because of "injury" and gave away 2nd in the points.

I remember every time I got the results that year, I kept thinking that something must be wrong with the bike or there must have been an issue. After the halfway point, it was obvious that the wheels sort of came off. David was pissed, but at himself.
The Sneak
6/17/2017 5:41am Edited Date/Time 6/17/2017 7:49pm
DB has also said he preferred his 84 RC over the 85, too. I forget who rode in his place at the final round but they also didn't like the bike. (Was it Jo Jo?)

And lest anyone forget...Glover was still super fast after 1985, but injuries really derailed him.
MaxPower
6/17/2017 3:22pm
chuckie108 wrote:
lostboy819 wrote:
Tbteam wrote:

I feel it says something of Brocs character to get so beat up by DB on a bike that was light years away from the Honda and instead of curling up in a ball he tried harder. Those guys could have pushed each other to crazy levels had equipment been closer.
JineTC
6/19/2017 1:44pm
Curiously, there is an insightful article in the current Cycle News issue, pages 130-131 on that day in Castle Rock and RJ's boast to "go out in a blaze of glory".

Cycle News #23

Post a reply to: Stock Yamahas in the works bike age

The Latest