Saddleback or Carlsbad?

TG130
5/1/2015 9:41pm
Both were iconic tracks in MX history and both had tons of great races and battles over the years. For me Carlsbad might get the slight nod due to the fact that back in the 1970's the USGP at Carlsbad was the only Motocross shown on tv. ABC's Wide World of Sports (also RIP) would show this race every year on a 6 month (or more) delay basis. My brothers and I would look forward to this showing every year. It was the only look we would get of any real MX racing because we were too young to drive and my parents wouldn't take us to any live races. It was a real treat to be able to watch guys like The Man, Gerrit Wolsink, Mikkola, Lackey, etc.

For sheer spectacle, Saddleback was hard to beat with obstacles like Banzai Hill, Magoo Double, Suicide Mt, etc. The Hannah - Howerton battle was classic.
markit
5/2/2015 4:42pm
+1, same here. Gettin old sucks lol
anniebertmojo
5/2/2015 8:17pm Edited Date/Time 5/2/2015 8:18pm
For me it was Saddleback. Raced both, but I loved Saddleback Saturday's with the long 30 minute moto's. And to boot you were out of there by 1:00 or so and down at Togo's or Tasty Freeze for lunch. Beltnick had 4 races... Race 1: Pros, Race 2: Int, Race 3: Nov and Race 4: Everybody else...

Cancerman
5/2/2015 11:58pm
For me it was Saddleback. Raced both, but I loved Saddleback Saturday's with the long 30 minute moto's. And to boot you were out of there...
For me it was Saddleback. Raced both, but I loved Saddleback Saturday's with the long 30 minute moto's. And to boot you were out of there by 1:00 or so and down at Togo's or Tasty Freeze for lunch. Beltnick had 4 races... Race 1: Pros, Race 2: Int, Race 3: Nov and Race 4: Everybody else...

Saddleback was my "home" track, Saturday motos, and yep, TOGO's, for a fresh hot Pastrami w/cheese sandwich on the way home. Good times on old bikes.

The Shop

sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
5/5/2015 9:49pm
Never raced at Saddleback but loved Carlsbad. For years our summer routine was Costa Mesa Speedway Friday night, race REM at Carlsbad Saturday morning, watch the drag races after your moto's and still be home in time for an afternoon surf. We had good !

Post a reply to: Saddleback or Carlsbad?

The Latest