4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

Saddleback Park

nevadaside

C100_scott_boots

8/2/2011 4:27 PM

The thing about Saddleback..........besides that it was "Saddleback"...........was that it just didn't matter if you were the fastest guy on the track or just some "accidental cyclist" wheelin around way back in the trails. Seems in later years when you'd go to these places that were just a track, everyone was so serious & had to be the fastest or have the biggest motorhome or whatever.

I remember my Dad was a major talker, he used to talk Ken Erb's ear off every week, then one day we happened to be parked next to the MX Kied when he was still on 80's & my Dad talked his dad's ear off.........oh man, he just loved Saddleback cause that was his social hour, while I was out pounding laps thinking I was going to be "someone"...........ha ha ha. Im serious, my Dad really didn't like going to the other tracks much, but he loved Saddleback & he didn't even ride.......LOL!

Then I'll never forget a weekday & O'mara flies over my head on Webco & hits the left hander & BRAAAP..........is just gone in a 1/10 of a second..............I'm just going "DAMN", as I continued around the track wondering how bad I was getting in the way as Team Honda continued to practice.

Hey Webco, here's one for you..........

coming off Webco.........................& the famous "street turn" trying my best Jonny'O imitation with gators & all..........oh man, so funny to laugh at yourself so many years later.

Until politicians are AFRAID to betray The People.........they WILL continue to do so.

nevadaside

C100_scott_boots

8/2/2011 5:04 PM

Chapman Ave........the perfect street.

That street had everything you needed if you were going Saddleback...........plenty of places to eat, supermarket, Gas, Racer's Pit Stop, & Chapman Gen. Hospital.

It would always be a goal in the morning to try and time that light at the 76 station too right before climbing the hill.

Until politicians are AFRAID to betray The People.........they WILL continue to do so.

Webcokid

C100_108242000_1245688334

8/2/2011 5:43 PM

nevadaside wrote: Chapman Ave........the perfect street.

That street had everything you needed if you were going Saddleback...........plenty of places to eat, supermarket, Gas, Racer's Pit Stop, & Chapman Gen. Hospital.

It would always be a goal in the morning to try and time that light at the 76 station too right before climbing the hill.

It's a good picture of that first turn. That part of the track looked
much different during big events. From no woops to 3 big woops, muddy and hard.
Funny you mention the back sections of the park. Those hot summers days, pitted by that big tree near
Irvine Park. That was a good area, except when it rained. Rain was an entirely different
deal at the back, the place became hazordous!

cheezer131

C100

8/28/2011 4:43 AM

nevadaside wrote: Chapman Ave........the perfect street.

In 1983 at my first world mini, I thought Chapman Ave was the most awesome place. We stayed at the Holiday Inn in Orange and passed food joints, supermarkets, a water park, and some damn cool house a few miles before the track. I was kinda caught off guard by a chick handcuffed to a light pole, seriously!!
Does anyone remember in 84, before they opened the gates for the world mini, the tractor being left in N and rolling down and binding Don/Denny Stephenson's van almost in half??
Viva la Saddleback, and Dunes, and Sand Hill, ....I loved those tracks Lake Huron can suck it!!!

Scott C.

david631

C100

6/22/2012 4:59 PM

Webcokid wrote:
Some familiar faces at saddleback photo day. That's Kehoe up front, Too Tall, Johnson, some guy from San Diego on the back right, A very familiar face in the mustach, and also, some guy named Bob. Cool box vans!

Remember Don Emler's Penda? there's a guy in this photo that built one that was a lot cleaner (my opinion). hmm, who is it??

david631

C100

6/22/2012 5:24 PM

Bauer wrote: There was never a 125 National at Carlsbad

Bill163 wrote: There was a 125 national at Carlsbad in 1981 the one Barnett missed Johnny 'O won the overall and Rick Johnson won his first national moto as a Yamaha support rider.

Bauer tell Scott Kandel I remember his first team he was on.Ruckel's Racers at Irwindale Raceway.

Sondy132001 wrote: I was gonna say if there wasn't a 125 National at Carlsbad how in the hell did I end up at Carlsbad that day to watch a 125 National ?? Lechien, RJ all the boys were there and My favorite rider of the time Fly'in Brian Myerscough ! It was a good day to watch MX, I have pics from it too I believe ? again I never have time to dig through all my pics.

S
cmcmotocross.com

To wownd out, you write that you hate all the "bullshit talking on other people" but, you had to tell us about being with a girl that ended up having a kid later with someone else. if that's some misguided attempt at convincing us (or yourself) about your manhood you should check yourself because you failed. BIGTIME!!!!

JustPuttinAround

C100_wheelie_king

7/1/2012 3:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/1/2012 3:19 PM

Getting ready to pull a holeshot!
I believe this is '79.
Maico and Scott boots? Hell yeah!
Fond memories...I, literally, grew up there.
I don't know if it's been mentioned (didn't read all the pages), but another guy who really killed it there was Pete Snorteland. He was a good friend--RIP. And I think I remember Ron Turner winning 125, 250, and Open pro all on the same day a few times.

If you don't crash once in a while, you're not going fast enough.

Webcokid

C100_108242000_1245688334

7/12/2012 3:25 PM

JustPuttinAround wrote:

Getting ready to pull a holeshot!
I believe this is '79.
Maico and Scott boots? Hell yeah!
Fond memories...I, literally, grew up there.
I don't know if it's been mentioned (didn't read all the pages), but another guy who really killed it there was Pete Snorteland. He was a good friend--RIP. And I think I remember Ron Turner winning 125, 250, and Open pro all on the same day a few times.

Can remember Pete for sure! Sorry to hear he's no longer with us... I remember the Macos then, but always considered them secondary to the Japanese bikes. I rememer Staton on the Harley Davidson 250 one year too. That was classic, those bikes were pretty funny! Mago made the Maco go fast for a while, but he was fast on anything... Piece! "Keep you wheels on the ground, and feet on the pegs" -Mr. Hannah
Post a Reply to: Saddleback Park

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm