Saddleback Park

bigmaico
1/7/2010 10:50am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:50pm
I was at the Vintage races a few weeks back & someone asked about Saddleback & knew that I grew up in So.Calif.

I was asked if it was really as hard packed as the magazines stated, I told the guy yes & I could prove it. if he gave me a minute to pull some of out of my back side, as I fell so many times learning to ride the blue grove.

He also asked what it was like to race there & I told him that the first moto was normally OK in the winter, but in the summer was hit & miss. the second moto was really blue grove & dusty.

This was racing the 500 class @ CMC, I told him that the Saturday race where different & 30 minute moto's
dr516
1/8/2010 9:41am
Yes it was blue grove but what I remember was the winter time they ripped it so deep (Saturday mx) it would have nice deep ruts all the way around.
wownd out
1/8/2010 10:50am
What sucked is when they watered right before your race, water on blue groove that's some slippery stuff!.

The Shop

KW
1/8/2010 3:57pm
The picture of Chappy Blose takes me back to my first trip to Saddleback. Being from AZ, I knew Chappy and asked him wha the hot line was on the start. He told me to go over as far to the right on the gate as possible and hug the fence going up the hill. Damn if it didn't work! Hanging on for the entire 45 minute moto was another story....
bigmaico
1/8/2010 4:33pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:52pm
KW wrote:
The picture of Chappy Blose takes me back to my first trip to Saddleback. Being from AZ, I knew Chappy and asked him wha the hot...
The picture of Chappy Blose takes me back to my first trip to Saddleback. Being from AZ, I knew Chappy and asked him wha the hot line was on the start. He told me to go over as far to the right on the gate as possible and hug the fence going up the hill. Damn if it didn't work! Hanging on for the entire 45 minute moto was another story....
Yes sir ! that was the hot line to the top in first place!

I always used that line, but I kind of cheated as I help build those forward falling gates( Riggi gate) so I knew what to look for as how fast it would fall,so I didn't get caught jumping the gate.

One foot back of touching the gate & if the gate trench was clean dump the clutch when the gate man's hand was about 2' away.if the trench was pack with dirt cut that in half & still pull a big hole-shot!
Webcokid
1/12/2010 4:07pm
KW wrote:
The picture of Chappy Blose takes me back to my first trip to Saddleback. Being from AZ, I knew Chappy and asked him wha the hot...
bigmaico wrote:
Yes sir ! that was the hot line to the top in first place! I always used that line, but I kind of cheated as I...
Yes sir ! that was the hot line to the top in first place!

I always used that line, but I kind of cheated as I help build those forward falling gates( Riggi gate) so I knew what to look for as how fast it would fall,so I didn't get caught jumping the gate.

One foot back of touching the gate & if the gate trench was clean dump the clutch when the gate man's hand was about 2' away.if the trench was pack with dirt cut that in half & still pull a big hole-shot!
Pretty cool Big Maico. The outside line was good, but I liked the inside line too! It had some big woops at the top, but you could skim over em pretty well if you were on the gas. I was on an 80, so I liked to dive to the inside and powerslide the turn. I can see the start guy like it was yesterday. He would walk down the line and point at each rider to get acknowledgement. The he would take off running for the end of the gate to pull the lever. I would be in gear reving, and by time he got to the lever, I had the power on full and ready to go. Down went the gate and out came the clutch, only to give way to 5 fast speed shifts at full power to the top of the hill. The tricky part, sometimes the gate would delay after he pulled the lever and he would yank on it again to get it to drop. Nice fake out start guy! I'm sure he got a kick out of that!
bigmaico
1/12/2010 7:55pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:59pm
Webco,

No fake out , Just a bunch of dirt in the trench binding the gate up & causing it to stick!

Some time's I would wait until the starter pulled the handle & let everyone else bump the gate for me & then go like hell to the top WFO & wide eyed!
wownd out
1/13/2010 10:39am
I used the inside alot and i used to put my front wheel right up against the gate with the clutch just starting to engage but not turning the rear wheel it usually worked out well.
Webcokid
1/13/2010 3:36pm
bigmaico wrote:
Webco, No fake out , Just a bunch of dirt in the trench binding the gate up & causing it to stick! Some time's I would...
Webco,

No fake out , Just a bunch of dirt in the trench binding the gate up & causing it to stick!

Some time's I would wait until the starter pulled the handle & let everyone else bump the gate for me & then go like hell to the top WFO & wide eyed!
Ah! That explains it. I could never figure that out, maybe it had to do with my ripe age of 11. Hang Loose BigMaico
bigmaico
1/13/2010 6:26pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 8:00pm
bigmaico wrote:
Webco, No fake out , Just a bunch of dirt in the trench binding the gate up & causing it to stick! Some time's I would...
Webco,

Webcokid wrote:
Ah! That explains it. I could never figure that out, maybe it had to do with my ripe age of 11. Hang Loose BigMaico
Webcokid:

I wouldn't have figured it out earthier, but helping build & install the gates around So.Calif I learned how they worked.

Here's one of my good starts thanks to Tom Corley. http://www.allthingsmoto.com/...full.php?photo=13093 I tried to post it but couldn't get it to work??
Gary O.
1/13/2010 10:12pm
Webcokid thanks for posted those recent pictures. My imagination runs wild with old memories of that track. There were times in the winter when the track conditions were so nice you could just fly around the turns like you were on rails! Oh how I miss the Good Ole Days.
Bauer
1/14/2010 11:39am
LawBrkrRcn wrote:
I practically grow up at Saddleback and Bob & Jeans... Lived in Orange Park Acres and we rode all over the orange and avocado groves... Rode...
I practically grow up at Saddleback and Bob & Jeans... Lived in Orange Park Acres and we rode all over the orange and avocado groves... Rode at Saddleback all the time and started racing there every Saturday from 77-79... Went to all the major races there including off-road... Saw DeCoster and all the other Europeans race there in the Trans-Am and will never forget Jim West as I was ten feet away when he crashed and died... Jim Gibson was my neighbor... So many good memories... I go up there about every other month and walk around with my dogs... You can walk up the road to where the pay booth was Parts store and the entry road... I walk up what’s left of the start hill over to Webco hill and down to the flat track... If you know the place you can still recognize a lot... L8R Mark
Bob and Jean's! Those were the days!

It's pretty sad about what happened to Bob...I haven't spoken with Scott since just after it happened.
wownd out
1/14/2010 12:00pm
Tom Corley wrote:
[img]http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss76/tomcorley/DSC_0613.jpg[/img] wound out-- Is this what you are talking about? tcestudios@netzero.net

wound out-- Is this what you are talking about?

tcestudios@netzero.net
Well that's me, but i meant i used to put my front wheel right up against the gate with the clutch just starting to engage, then let it out accordingly to manage the power. It was easier because your finger is on the clutch and it's at the precise engagement point to slip in and out of the clutch instead of staying back from the gate and trying not to move forward from having the clutch at the engagement point. Tom ya got anymore pics of me? i always loved that one you took just past the scoring stand jump when i was on the YZ 125.
1/14/2010 1:31pm
bigmaico wrote:
Webco,

That's how Bob Elliott broke his pelvis, starting gate hung up he launched over the gate, fell off and then the gate landed on him.
Bauer
1/14/2010 1:39pm
bigmaico wrote:
Webco,

That's how Bob Elliott broke his pelvis, starting gate hung up he launched over the gate, fell off and then the gate landed on him.
R.I.P. Bob Elliott
Tom Corley
1/15/2010 10:40am

Bob Elliott rode a Steve Hurd Motorcycles Husky in early racing days along with Bob Hannah. Elliott is seen here jumping at Saddleback with Scott Gillman.

tcestudios@netzero.net
suzukijo
1/17/2010 5:23pm
my first post here, new member.
i'll try and dig up a photo of me racing there, it was far away, but got to meet the mxz wrecking crew in the early eighties.

joe
nmachamp
1/18/2010 10:37pm
wownd out wrote:
Bobby M, what the hell is your problem? are you following me on the boards? jesus get a life dude!. did you race with Lechien? i...
Bobby M, what the hell is your problem? are you following me on the boards? jesus get a life dude!. did you race with Lechien? i did! and just i just gave thought of my first hand experiences with him on many occasion.
You didnt race with Lechien.. you just happend to be on the track with him at the same time... the closest you got to Lechien was when he was laping you .. of course you thought he was out of control.. waching him pass you 3 times in one race.. you should of never left the novice class
Webcokid
1/20/2010 10:35am

This was my last race at Saddleback Park. I left the 80cc class and moved to the 125, but my racing career came to an end. No support, and family issues ultimately led to the end. However, This was a fantastic day and I did quite well in the novice class. Again, not a former mini star, but fast in my own mind! The GS series was always my favorite and my Pal Bruce Bunch ultimately won this in 1982. I get a kick out of the Can-Am sponsor. Remember those bikes? They remind me of the harley davidson 250's that were out during the same period.
anniebertmojo
1/20/2010 12:22pm
Great sticker. I remember it as if it was yesterday.
Webcokid
1/20/2010 3:07pm
Great sticker. I remember it as if it was yesterday.
Cool, what class were you in and what kind of bike? Take it easy!
chipnice
1/20/2010 8:14pm
nmachamp wrote:
You didnt race with Lechien.. you just happend to be on the track with him at the same time... the closest you got to Lechien was...
You didnt race with Lechien.. you just happend to be on the track with him at the same time... the closest you got to Lechien was when he was laping you .. of course you thought he was out of control.. waching him pass you 3 times in one race.. you should of never left the novice class
DING, DING,DING, We have a winner, Paul you hit it right on the screw.
Webcokid
1/20/2010 8:59pm
nmachamp wrote:
You didnt race with Lechien.. you just happend to be on the track with him at the same time... the closest you got to Lechien was...
chipnice wrote:
DING, DING,DING, We have a winner, Paul you hit it right on the screw.
It's alex trabec, or even better, it's Larry Huffman goin WFO. Leave it to the authorities. It's all in the results.
1/20/2010 9:21pm
nmachamp wrote:
Some funny shit right thar. Top notch, top notch!
wownd out
1/21/2010 10:06am
Excuse me but i had quite a few battles with Lechien in the 100 expert class, yeah he would smoke my ass in the 125 class, there all you baby bitches happy now!.
Bulldog
1/21/2010 6:18pm
I travelled from Illinois in 1977 with my parents to race the summer in California. I was able to race the original Hangtown, Ascot, Chula Vista, Indian Dunes and of course Saddleback. I was able to live my childhood dreams. I read about all the tracks in all the magazines. The tracks were a lot different from the midwest. Really hard packed. Definitly a lot of fun though. I really enjoyed the racing atmosphere in California.

Thank you for posting the pictures of Saddleback in it's current state. Here are a few pictures from Saddleback dated July 2 and July 3, 1977.

At the Saddleback gate:

Resting in the pit area:

Gary Jones and Brian Myerscough:
Webcokid
1/22/2010 12:06pm

Check out this old DG add. That's my pal Todd Peterson on the left in the blue jacket. But, can anyone tell us who the 80cc rider is? Also, who can name the Suzuki rider as well!
DoctorJD
1/22/2010 12:12pm
The 80 rider looks like Eric Kehoe. The Suzuki rider looks like Warren Reid, but I don't remember him riding a Suzuki.

Post a reply to: Saddleback Park

The Latest