Preserving NOS clutch basket and pistons with coating?

riv187
Hi
I have a 3-4 NOS clutch baskets for my 1980 YZ125,1983 KX125,and 1978 RM125 and maybe even 79 RM125 if I look.
I was wondering if anyone has had there's hard anodized,,or Teflon coated, or ??? I believe I'll have to grind off rivets and remove the steel gear in some processes and re revet later.

I've also read this one https://www.line2linecoatings.com/ where they do piston skirts with a abraded powder coat to build up a wear coating,,then it scuffs off excess to leave a perfect fit...

I imagine others out there know the fear of wearing out that discontinued piston size we have 1 in box left,,or the headaches searching for the basket with no grooves.
Any 1st hand experience's to preserve these parts appreciated.
|
450exc115
1/19/2017 10:30am
Definitely hard anodizing will preserve the clutch baskets. You can't have any steel on the part during the process so yes rivits and gears will have to be removed.

If you go with the Teflon impregnated Kashmir coatings it's not as hard as hard anodizing but will help clutch actuation due to the reduced friction from the Teflon. IMO not needed unless you plan to race it often and need every ounce of HP.

philG
1/19/2017 2:08pm
Hard Anodising causes brittleness and surface cracks, and doesnt lend itself to anything other than high quality billet stuff.

Piston skirts can be coated with Xylan , which is a wear resistant coating but again , it needs to be a good quality piston though.

We have DLC coated loads of stuff in the past for the 4 strokes, nothing in the 2t as yet.
philG
1/19/2017 2:11pm Edited Date/Time 1/19/2017 2:15pm

This is a Pankl Mitsubishi piston with Xylan skirt. Forged high quality unit, and the surface finish is done to help the Xylan stick to the ally. Older pistons tend to be smoother, and of course , it has a thickness that has to be allowed for in the bore.
riv187
1/19/2017 4:33pm
I thought a stock basket,,and the wiseco pistons are both forged. Would they both be candidates. The company a included link, line to line, abraded powder coating/ APC, process is used on pistons,,blowers,,and can actually build up material to tighten tolerances, then scuff off extra in a careful breakin process. Sounds really interesting if it does in fact wear well too.
I know the hard anodizing can add a limited amount to inside of a shock body too. I came across the APC when looking for a solution to enlarged inside of shock bodies (fox air shox,as well as factory models) ,,

The Xylan you used has great qualities that maybe ideal for a basket too. What place do you recommend to call for 'small' orders?
Thanks
Brian

The Shop

philG
1/20/2017 1:22am
I though clutch baskets were die cast, which itself promotes cracking .

My point is that unless the material you are using is top quality , hard anodizing , isn't going to change that , you will just be putting a thin crust over the top of something soft .

Hard anodizing is around 0.2mm thick, and half of that thickness goes into the parent material. It is a molecular barrier for friction rather than strength, the point loading of the plates will destroy it in no time.

I cannot think of a single application I have encountered , where anything other than top grade billet aluminium has been used.

We tried it on some suspension components, to try and reduce damage, but the parts failed due to surface cracking , long before they were deemed to damaged to run.

Parts need to be designed with these processes in mind, not as an add on,

All of the places I used to use were in the UK, and are not geared up for one off type of stuff.

Go to www.poeton.co.uk for the techy stuff.

Post a reply to: Preserving NOS clutch basket and pistons with coating?

The Latest