Peak Honda Team Peak Splitfire Bikes 1991 Anaheim

AHRMA361
Fantasy
232nd
Edited Date/Time 2/18/2015 2:12pm
I was fortunate to be a guest of Mitch Payton at the Anaheim race in 1991. Had a wonderful time, first I toured Mitch's new shop, talked to Bone's about my Honda forks and got some good info, met Jeff Glass in the parking lot with his new "Surf Detergent" sponsered bike being dropped off for some service. Had never heard of Surf prior to that day.....

A few days later we went to the Stadium for the Anaheim SX race. I had to jump to the side as Jeff Ward pulled up into the pits in his slope-nose Porsche, did a track walk with Lamson and his mechanic, later, I stood on the second level watching practice with Mitch and Roger D talking about the track layout. Hanging out in their pits during the course of the day/night was really something for an east-coaster that grew up reading MXA and wishing I was closer to that scene. A real big deal for a 25 year old nobody from Ohio. Great people and a great experience.

I ran across a few pictures I took in the pits that day. I took a lot more over the course of the night but have no idea where they went after 24 years. Here is Jeremy's bike, #125. Note the box vans, low key pit amenities that were normal back then.

Here is a picture of Steve Lamson's bike I took from sitting up on the back of his van. Nice to be inside the "tape line" with an all-access pass back then.

At the time, I didn't know that this would turn out to be one of the most successful teams in the history of Supercross. Glad I had a chance to be there in the beginning to see it and still a fan today of Pro Circuit and the Team.

|
notme
2/12/2015 8:37am
Thanks for sharing. Those box vans were considered rather trick back in the day!
barkhard696
2/13/2015 12:21pm
Man .. what a cool story and pictures. Awesome stuff, sir.
AHRMA361
Fantasy
232nd
2/17/2015 9:34pm
One other memory from that race was standing in the box van listening to Jeremy's mechanic talking about a special gear set they had just received from Japan that tightened up the 2nd-3rd and 3rd-4th gearing for SX tracks. Lamson was still running the stocker gears.

Clearly the whole Team was putting their early bets on the future "King of SX" and it ultimately paid off.

The Shop

Mini Elsinore
2/18/2015 2:12pm
Man, that's a cool story and pics!

Aside, I had to dodge Jeff Ward's Porsche on PCH last week! He still rolls in a P-car!

Post a reply to: Peak Honda Team Peak Splitfire Bikes 1991 Anaheim

The Latest