PVL digital ignition

Mike P.
Edited Date/Time 2/4/2015 3:42am
I have a PVL on my 1980 RM125 and the bike pulls to the moon (never shuts off…just keeps going). However, anytime I’m between the pilot jet & the needle the bike cuts out and I have clutch the hell out of it to get it back in the mid to top where it runs best. Has anyone else used a PVL and had this problem and if so, did you find a solution?

Now, I normally ride the bike mid to top, but there are those really slower parts on some MX tracks that you have no choice but to ride down low for a split second and its that split second that's causing me this headache to the point I don't dare race t his bike…any ideas or suggestions?
|
Mike P.
1/31/2015 8:14am
Also, I'm running a 34mm Mikuni at 32:1
1/31/2015 10:06am
I have a PVL on my 1979 RM125 and it runs great. Do you run a ported cylinder? I have a ported cylinder that I only use at large tracks as it runs terrible off the bottom. All air-cooled 125's are worthless below full throttle but this ported cylinder is a nuisance. I swap on my OEM cylinder for most tracks. I run a 32mm mikuni.

Check your grounds of course.

I have PVL's on a few of my bikes and have never experienced a problem. They are very reliable. You may have a bad one but I would be surprised if that is your problem.
Mike P.
1/31/2015 11:55am
Yes it is ported a DG pipe/DG head and boysen reeds. I have other aircooled 125s none of them runs like this one down low (just the RM with the PVL). I agree with you about long tracks because it's worthless if you have a short run up to a double jump.
MaxPower
1/31/2015 7:59pm
I know nothing about PVL ignitions. Have you retarded the timing at all? Are we allowd to say the word retarded any more? Have you specially tuned your Igniton to fire sooner I mean?

The Shop

Mike P.
1/31/2015 8:28pm
l have both and advanced and retarded the timing with no success.
BigAl
2/1/2015 7:29am
Is the problem the PVL or carb? Have you tried going back to a 32?
Mike P.
2/1/2015 2:49pm
Never thought about that, but I guess I could try it. I plan to try and ride this bike at Unadilla this year.
BigAl
2/1/2015 3:06pm
From people I've spoken with, the PVL makes a positive noticeable difference with a stock engine.
Mike P.
2/1/2015 4:39pm
No doubt there was an improvement, heck the thing never stops pulling (I have ran out of straightaway before), it's just that nasty little spot. I plan on bringing this bike to MX Rewind so I am sure someone there with more knowledge then me will figure it out.
Mike P.
2/1/2015 6:12pm
I actually posted to it and sent a photo of my 80 YZ125 and the two Lechron carbs. I had the 34mm Lechron on my 80 RM125 for a while and had the same prolem I had down low with the Mikuni.
domoguchi
2/2/2015 3:59am
Your problem lies within your carb and not the PVL.....sounds like your a tad to fat on the pilot....where is the needle at ?
Mike P.
2/2/2015 5:48pm
The needle is on the second clip from the bottom (it's rich). Also, I started the bike the other day and it ran for maybe 30 seconds on the pilot and it had a drip out of the header pipe...
2/2/2015 8:20pm
Is this the analog or digital ignition?

What spark plug are you using?

Clean and clear grounding on all the ignition touch points?

What gas/oil combo and ratio are you using and what have you tried? For whatever the reason the 1980 Suzuki seemed to work best for me at 32:1 with a 50/50 gas mix (*VP c12). I used to run Bel-Ray MC1 also...I'm all over the place with oils though and currently mainline 927 Maxima.

I can't explain why but I had new Mikuni's, rebuilt 1977-80 model RM125 carbs, and pulled carbs off my Yamaha's even. For whatever the reason that bigger bodied 1982 RM125 32mm carburetor worked like a champ. I never had a problem though with it running super high rpm's so was really curious about the analog or digital PVL. I always go back to stock jetting then start messing with it from there but I can tell that is probably first in your bag of tricks also. The Lectron is a whole other dynamic that I have zero knowledge of so I'm of no help there. If it's the analog PVL maybe my brother will jump on here and offer some advice as he is more familiar with the range of PVL's.
wolfy0067
2/3/2015 6:43am
I would perform some quick more air less air tests, put a strip of tape across the top of the airbox , if worse remove the air filter,(more air) see if it improves, i think also someone is going the right direction regarding eletrical, did the PVL come with a resistor cap and did you install an R plug to supress the free flowing eletrons..

Going back to the carb, look that there isn't blockage with air to the needle jet.
Mike P.
2/3/2015 2:46pm
Lonestar_399,

It's a digital PVL ignition. The spark is fat and the plug is B8ES, 32:1 premix on 93 octane pump gas. I have ran a 32mm Mikuni on this bike and like the 34mm Mikuni and Lechron, the bike ran the same exact way. Just now I pull the plug and it's really rich, however last time I ran the bike I only ran it for about 30 seconds or so with the choke on. I'll probably go down one on the pilot and up one on the main and see what happens.

Wolfy0067

Yes the PVL came with a resistor cap and there are no blockages. This bike has a DG head/pipe and I've heard that DG recommended a B7 plug...this seems really hot to me?
domoguchi
2/3/2015 3:57pm
Go with the hotter plug Mike. Move the clip up a notch and maybe a size smaller pilot.....your jetting is way off in my opinion as being the only issue. Hard to diagnose over a computer though. Porting and pipes along with the PVL changes things a bunch
From a stock setup.
Mike P.
2/3/2015 4:52pm
domoguci,

I'll try that plug, but it just seems hot to me (I'll let you know how it turned out). Mike
2/3/2015 5:16pm Edited Date/Time 2/3/2015 5:18pm
domoguchi wrote:
Go with the hotter plug Mike. Move the clip up a notch and maybe a size smaller pilot.....your jetting is way off in my opinion as...
Go with the hotter plug Mike. Move the clip up a notch and maybe a size smaller pilot.....your jetting is way off in my opinion as being the only issue. Hard to diagnose over a computer though. Porting and pipes along with the PVL changes things a bunch
From a stock setup.
I agree it's hard to diagnose over the web. Obviously porting and a pipe change things up. I also agree to take down the pilot. Suzuki's typically ran really small stock pilot jets so you could drop as low as 25. I believe my setting on the 32mm was a 30 pilot, 250 main, and a 2.0 cutaway. Knowing me I ran the clip one off the top position. If you drop the pilot you may find you want to drop the main also. I would move the main up and down one off this setting depending on the weather. The pump gas should be fine so don't worry about that but if you can get ahold of some C12 mix it 50/50. I also followed the typical Motocross Action logic and added one tooth to the rear.

As for the plug I can't exactly remember but I think I ran a resistor plug in addition to the resistor cap. I believe it was a BR9EIX (*the more expensive iridium NGK's). If it's a powder coated frame get some exposed metal ground contact action happening. It really sound like jetting though and like I said in another thread these things were a bitch to get right but once you do it's worth it.

I'm also going to assume you are running Boyesen reeds. Are you using the reed stop? If not put it on.

--albert
Mike P.
2/3/2015 5:47pm
Yes, Boyesen reeds with the reed stop. Basically this bike has had just about everything done to the motor, suspension and brakes. I started with Simons forks (flexed way too much for 11+ inches of travel), moved to Fox Forx (the kept blowing forks seals and I did not like the swept back triple clamp thought I should have kept those forks since they came from Fox made for a Suzuki (the fork brake stop was made into the the fork leg like the stocker)). Eventually I settled on a pair of 46mm forks off an 89 RM125 which work better than the Simons & Fox Forks. I next used Fox airs which worked okay on the 125 (they were a nightmare on the 78 CR250) so I went to triple spring Works shocks and never looked back. Lastly I put a Honda DLS front brake on it. This bike started off as a show bike but it's now a full fledged rider. Below are the three versions of this bike starting with the first to current look (top to bottom).

wolfy0067
2/4/2015 3:42am
Mike P. wrote:
Yes, Boyesen reeds with the reed stop. Basically this bike has had just about everything done to the motor, suspension and brakes. I started with Simons...
Yes, Boyesen reeds with the reed stop. Basically this bike has had just about everything done to the motor, suspension and brakes. I started with Simons forks (flexed way too much for 11+ inches of travel), moved to Fox Forx (the kept blowing forks seals and I did not like the swept back triple clamp thought I should have kept those forks since they came from Fox made for a Suzuki (the fork brake stop was made into the the fork leg like the stocker)). Eventually I settled on a pair of 46mm forks off an 89 RM125 which work better than the Simons & Fox Forks. I next used Fox airs which worked okay on the 125 (they were a nightmare on the 78 CR250) so I went to triple spring Works shocks and never looked back. Lastly I put a Honda DLS front brake on it. This bike started off as a show bike but it's now a full fledged rider. Below are the three versions of this bike starting with the first to current look (top to bottom).

Have you tried to adj the bog out using the air screw, i'm not seeing anything on this circuit mentioned, 1/2 to 2.5 adj. range, then if at 2.5 go up a size on the jet and the oppsite if turned in all the way adj. in, float level is not mentioned and condition of needle and ceet, basically you need to start at the fuel valve. I have a couple of these bikes and can tell you that the DG pipe is a close copy of the origional, if you run straight c12 you will need to lean out the slow circut, the flame front just burns that slow, go 50/50 as suggested. There is some missing questions, who ported the cylinder a pro? get the specs. these can be destroyed in the wrong hands, the 80 cylinder was the best, 79 had transfer port casting issues, the exhaust is good asthe factory opened it up to what was done on previous years, it can be widened some, transfer ports let alone, here's the big gain area and what may be some of your issue, was the intake lowered this was the area for good gains, but you need to be carefull how much is removed from the intake floor or piston skirt. 3mm was the max i would lower them, however putting the piston in the bore and the piston just before the exhaust opening scribe the piston on the intake side and see how many mm of skit is covering the intake.
I f the intake was lowered to much you will be getting spit back into the incomming fuel/air charge and never beable to tune the carb properly or run crisp at low rpm. As pointed out look that a reed isn't broken.
So if the intake is open just as the exhaust is opening you will need to weld of fill the intake with Devcon epoy.
Alot said here, just quick FYI i ran 45piolit clip middle 250 main, what it you timming spec, 1.0,1.2 mm before tdc? neep to be percise measurement if you want the max out of this nice looking machine.

Post a reply to: PVL digital ignition

The Latest