PVL/Penton Racing Products

Honda88L
If you have not heard Jack is going to officially retire and they are going to close Penton Racing down. It is TBD if someone will pick up the torch for PVL from what he said. I always have thought about putting one in my 83 CR250 and I am wondering if I should snag one while I still can. The bike is ported and 80 over - no problems at all with the stock system at this point and I even have an extra stator.

Any idea what benefit I would see with the PVL as far as performance? Jack said it would give it a good boost just wondering if anyone has put one in a similar 250 and seen exactly what it does. I know it would be perhaps more reliable that the 33 year old stator.

Any feedback would be appreciated as I need to pull the trigger if I am going to do this. Thanks

|
newmann
10/19/2016 7:37pm
They are modern electronics. And cheap at the moment. First come, first serve with what is left. I have been a dealer for them for quite a few years. Cheaper than ever, not sure what their individual pricing is, but if anyone wants to get on the list let me know if I can help. Friday is THE deadline.

They raised their prices to their dealers several months back by a hundred dollars per unit to supposedly help their "brick and mortar " stores from online sales. No increase in list price. I haven't sold a single one since.... Go figure. How many of you could walk into your local dealer and ask for a PVL without the guy behind the counter looking at you like you had a dick growing out of your forehead?

I have about 20 on the list so far, we will see what the fill rate is soon. Looks like they will be placing a final order from Germany as best I can tell.

The PVL ignitions are good shit. I have sold dozens upon dozens of them just to keep my name on the dealer list for my personal projects and the only failure I have ever heard of was when my 74 CR250 shit out a crank bearing and the rotor got into the stator.

AHRMA361
Fantasy
180th
10/19/2016 9:20pm
newmann. Back when Dane Leimbach ran it, this would not have been the result for Penton Imports. I knew Dane and he was a good guy that cared about the business and the customer. RIP Dane.
450exc115
10/22/2016 5:49am
So pvl isn't going out of business but PRP is and so therefore no one will be importing them?

The Shop

newmann
10/22/2016 6:39am
450exc115 wrote:
So pvl isn't going out of business but PRP is and so therefore no one will be importing them?
I think that about sums it up from what little info I have seen and read. I don't think it is just as easy as importing an ignition though. I believe they machined all the flywheel tapers and mounting plates here and paired up the components per application. Certain applications such as the 78-80 CR250's required machining of the ignition cover to mount the stator.

450exc115
10/23/2016 4:19am
Sure makes sense. Wonder if PRP would pass on the knowledge to someone if they wished to become the new importer.
Zeke27G
10/24/2016 8:23am

Although I sold my '74 Yamaha MX360 recently, the PVL you sold me Newmann is still in it and doing it's job just fine!! Bummer to hear they are done. Hoping somebody carries the torch for them!!
yzweldon
10/25/2016 4:43am
HPI out of Belgium makes ignitions for a ton of old bikes, and a lot cheaper too. I just paid $258 delivered with a 300 gram add on weight and a flywheel puller. I have heard nothing but good about these ignitions from those that are already using them

Post a reply to: PVL/Penton Racing Products

The Latest