The next project '78 YZ400, making progress!

chuckie108
Edited Date/Time 3/27/2018 5:36am
Just about wrapped up on my YZ50 I'm refreshing, and starting my next project this weekend- 1978 YZ400. I'm currently chasing down parts, and need some input from the experienced vintage guys on here as I have no experience with a moto bike from this era, so here goes:

Levers- I want to run quality lever assemblies, I prefer the WC ones on my modern bike. They don't make a matching one for the brake side. What do most guys do? Just run a clutch assembly upside down? Motion Pro universal? Magura?

Brakes- What's generally considered the best performing set of brake shoes? Stock is actually still available per the online parts sources. Also, is arcing worth the money and effort?

Bars- Every back in the day photo I see of '78 YZ's has gigantic bars on it. I know most guys run the Renthal "Vintage/desert" bar, but will these be tall enough for this application? It says on their site they have 2 other vintage bends- what do you all recommend?

Plastic- I've bought a couple products from DC now(God bless them for what they do), But I'm looking for stuff closer to the injection molded OE stuff. Does the fenders and such offered by XtremeYZ look like original products, or is it vacuum formed like DC?

Lastly- what's the best source for a seat cover and foam. There are a few options out there but I don't want to take a guess, who has the best quality?

Thanks!!!!
|
wpark89
1/13/2017 11:35pm
Some guys put a load of money into setting them up really nice. I've been racing a stock 79 YZ 400 the last couple years and I'll give you a few notes on what I've done to it.

RMZ 450 pegs. I had stock RMZ pegs laying around and they bolted right on the YZ. I had to drill a hole on the right side for the spring. There are other options and special made ones available...but I was trying to set the bike up cheap with parts I had laying around.

I got an 81 YZ 250 top triple clamp on eBay for about 20 bucks. The bar mounting position is more on top of the clamp. I used Pro Taper universal mounts (that will move the bars up 1/2") and then I use the normal Renthal TwinWall bars.This gets them up high enough and feels more modern to me.

I found that the stock YZ brakes are some of the best vintage brakes I've rode with. As long as you've got material on your shoes, stock or EBC will be fine. Some guys spend money on brake work that they don't need....it's your call.

I have seen guys using fancy expensive modern clutch levers upside down for the front brake. I use a cheap motion pro universal perch and lever.

I have oem sidepanels and use a universal UFO vintage front fender and number plate. There's a company in Thailand that sells oem replica seat covers cheap on eBay. Ive got two for vintage YZ projects (for the 79 and an 87) and they have been perfect...every stitch and the lettering has been spot on.

newmann
1/14/2017 5:38am
XYZ plastics are nice and shiny and they had quite a bit of other stuff available back when I put my 81 together. That was over a decade ago though...Blush Time flies.

I got seat foams and covers from them at the time as well.
450exc115
1/14/2017 6:22am
I race a 79 YZ 400 in the local series and while she is no show Queen she looks good.

Brakes - Yamaha for dry days and EBC grooved for wet days. Don't spend the money on arcing. Rough up the drum with a sanding drum on a cordless drill. Tape some course Grit sand paper to the ID and using light pressure on the brake arm spin the brake plate in the drum. When you see the brake pad show its fully scored you've now got a full contact patch.

Seat covers and foam I get from the company in the UK. Reasonable price and good quality.

For bars I run kids bars or ATV bars as they are tall and narrow. Controls are the msr universal clutch levers with quick adjusters, just flip the lever over for the brake side.

Plastic I've seen 80-83 yellow OEM YZ plastic on eBay for sub $100 for front and rear fenders. Side panels are the hardest to find so I'll run DC for racing.

Good luck and great bike!
Rocky739
1/14/2017 7:33am
chuckie108 wrote:
Just about wrapped up on my YZ50 I'm refreshing, and starting my next project this weekend- 1978 YZ400. I'm currently chasing down parts, and need some...
Just about wrapped up on my YZ50 I'm refreshing, and starting my next project this weekend- 1978 YZ400. I'm currently chasing down parts, and need some input from the experienced vintage guys on here as I have no experience with a moto bike from this era, so here goes:

Levers- I want to run quality lever assemblies, I prefer the WC ones on my modern bike. They don't make a matching one for the brake side. What do most guys do? Just run a clutch assembly upside down? Motion Pro universal? Magura?

Brakes- What's generally considered the best performing set of brake shoes? Stock is actually still available per the online parts sources. Also, is arcing worth the money and effort?

Bars- Every back in the day photo I see of '78 YZ's has gigantic bars on it. I know most guys run the Renthal "Vintage/desert" bar, but will these be tall enough for this application? It says on their site they have 2 other vintage bends- what do you all recommend?

Plastic- I've bought a couple products from DC now(God bless them for what they do), But I'm looking for stuff closer to the injection molded OE stuff. Does the fenders and such offered by XtremeYZ look like original products, or is it vacuum formed like DC?

Lastly- what's the best source for a seat cover and foam. There are a few options out there but I don't want to take a guess, who has the best quality?

Thanks!!!!
I do MSR clutch perches on both sides, work fine and inexpensive, have adj on the fly thingies too!

All brakes suck, EBC works ok, arch them yourself with some sticky back roll paper applied to the drum, put wheel on and turn applying pressure and viola, arched shoes. keep them de glazed, lubed and adjusted, be as good as they can be...

Bars, look at Renthal adult CRF 150 bars, pretty good for vintage

Plastic, UFO vintage stuff is generic but modern quality so unless your looking for resto accuracy check it out

Wonder if ceet or guts has a foams, if not DC probably has something

The Shop

OldPro277
1/14/2017 9:41am
Chuckie, Ive done a couple of late 70's YZ's and in the middle of an 80 yz250g project as we speak. My recommendations are the following---- Call Scott at Xtreme YZ. I got all my plastics (good shiny stuff) the seat foam and a bunch of odds and ends from him. Also Eric at NorCal vintage is the go to guy out your way for any engine and or suspension related stuff. Ive used the Motion Pro levers quite a bit and they are fine,but I also got a set of authentic Maguras from DC for this project. (pretty pricey tho). I just had EVO-MX make a couple seat covers and they are of very high quality. I wanted a gripper Hannah lightning bolt one and I couldnt find anyone in the states to do one. Theres other good sources that are escaping me at the moment.Partzilla is a good source for some OEM stuff. Just ordered EVERY seal and bearing for that 250G(wheels,swingarm,main, tranny,etc,etc)from them. ,If I can think of anything else ,Ill throw it on here. Good luck and have fun with it ...!!
MaxPower
1/14/2017 9:53am
Its my opinion any bike looks better with a Preston Petty Tony D front fender.
Ive always liked oem Honda levers and perches. Being forged they bend back after a crash and the perches seem stronger to me.
Someone should make a billet front brake perch and lever for vintage bikes
chuckie108
1/14/2017 9:55am
Thanks gents for all the great info! Really looking forward to getting this one going! I'm sure I'll nee more advice going forward- so don't go far!!! LOL.
1/14/2017 10:35am Edited Date/Time 1/14/2017 10:35am
Before you spend too much on the bling, split the cases to check the condition of the inserts in the main bearing area. Very common on 77-79 YZ's for them to be loose, cracked, etc.
chuckie108
1/14/2017 4:09pm
Before you spend too much on the bling, split the cases to check the condition of the inserts in the main bearing area. Very common on...
Before you spend too much on the bling, split the cases to check the condition of the inserts in the main bearing area. Very common on 77-79 YZ's for them to be loose, cracked, etc.
Thanks for the heads up. I got this bike from my uncle who was the second owner. It actually doesn't have much time on it considering. I'll check it none the less. No need spending good money after bad. Thanks again.
mark_swart
1/15/2017 10:24am
Raced one last year...not a great bike in my opinion. Brakes were fine though. As was mentioned, check out the main inserts if you have it apart or if you shake the flywheel and notice play. Also keep an eye on the hanger on the back of engine to swingarm. If they get loose they can break. Race Tech cartridge emulators are a nice upgrade. My bike always felt blubbery and I had to review and clutch it like a 125. Weird....maybe it needed to go to a bigger oversize but I was lazy and just slapped in a new piston. I found seat foam through ceet.
I could never get far enough forward on the bike to get it to turn decent. I'm on a 76 RM now and even though it has a similar layout, I can get it to turn without "injuring" myself haha.
BS261
1/16/2017 3:00am
You can still buy the stock bars, (2A8-26111-00-00) Partzilla and a few others have them. I'm guessing they're not the exact bend as the originals as a replacement part number is being used but I'll bet it's damn close. I'm buying some next week, we'll see. Good luck with your build, I'm in the process of doing one myself. If you're on Facebook there's an excellent vintage YZ group that's very helpful.

Brian

1/16/2017 2:14pm Edited Date/Time 1/16/2017 2:18pm
I borrowed my older brothers 78 YZ400E back in '82. Went out for about 45 minutes field riding, only one real jump at the place. There was one bolt missing out of the rear engine cradle / mount. I mentioned it to him before I left the house. "It'll be alright", were his words.

When I brought it home, the rivets were all loose that held the cradle together. Right hand frame tube that runs up to the seat area was broken just above the side panel screw hole. Pipe was cracked in about three places.

I feel that one missing bolt in the cradle allowed the start of a bit of vibration induced self destruction of the frame / pipe. He was not too happy, but it was his call that said it was OK to ride.

Make sure the cradle has good integrity, as Mark Swart mentioned earlier.

And those E model 250 / 400's don't like to turn worth a crap, as mentioned above. The F's were a big improvement in the cornering department.
sandman768
1/17/2017 3:52am
I have a 79 400, vgood bike, I got a Hannah gripper seat & foam from Scott at Extreme YZ, good guy. I know this has been mentioned before but "caveat emptor" donot do business with " Back in the day" Don Mendenhall... Crook to the core....used to have a nice website, but is a complete scam artist.."ripped off many people.....Speed & Sport in Pa. Has alot of NOS parts for the old yammies....
BS261
1/18/2017 2:31am
My bad on the handlebar, the original part # 1W1-26111-03-00 is still available. Not sure why Babbitt's has a replacement part #.
chuckie108
1/20/2017 6:45pm
Thanks again everyone. Here's the before pics:

Actually a fairly clean bike overall. I'm deep into the disassembly now, and the first thing I checked was the rear cradle/swingarm pivot like many have suggested. Thankfully it all looks mint. Only problem is the swing arm pivot won't come out. I've soaked it in WD-40, heated the center collar, and the thing won't budge. The pivot will rotate inside all the other components, but won't back out even half a MM. Am I missing something? Any ideas?

450exc115
1/20/2017 8:49pm
Wd40 isn't a good penetrate fluid. You need to try something better like PB blaster and let it soak for a day or more. I've also used heat and an air chisel with pointed tip to free up stubborn bolts.

Good luck!
edgo897
1/20/2017 9:27pm
Send the rear shock to Sage Suspension. He works wonders with the stock shock.
MaxPower
1/21/2017 3:25pm Edited Date/Time 1/21/2017 3:28pm
This is just an idea

, could you push a threaded rod through the center of the pivot, then nut it with a socket that fits over the head of the pivot bolt. Then on the threaded side of the pivot use a big washer and a nut or better yet a coupling nut to tighten and push the pivot through. This way with no pounding you can save the pivot bolt. Am I being to scattered to make sense? I like the idea of a coupling because it has more threads to grab on to. A threaded rod that small will be soft and may possibly strip the threads if you use a nut.

Or you could use RickBMacs tire iron that he used to pry his RMs cylinder off with to beat the eff out of the end of the pivot till its mushroomed over then you can cut it out with a saw zall
Just my opinion
MaxPower
1/21/2017 3:30pm
In all seriousness you should fit a 78 YZ125 tank to the 400. It will make it look 20 lbs lighter
wpark89
1/21/2017 3:56pm
Shot of my old man on his '78 YZ 400 for the hell of it. Fox air shock, Terry Fork kit and a 17" rear wheel. My dad raced it in 78 and 79 and then got the new 465 in 80. Gramps got a 79 in 80 and thats the one my dad and I are still racing today.

sandman768
1/21/2017 4:23pm
450exc115 wrote:
Wd40 isn't a good penetrate fluid. You need to try something better like PB blaster and let it soak for a day or more. I've also...
Wd40 isn't a good penetrate fluid. You need to try something better like PB blaster and let it soak for a day or more. I've also used heat and an air chisel with pointed tip to free up stubborn bolts.

Good luck!
This is good advice...donot beat on the shaft! You will crack the swingarm...lay assy in its side so pb blaster can get down into the shaft/bearings/arm., reapply a few times , let it sit, be patient. Take an impact gun with correct socket on bolt head & spin the bolt while gently taping with rubber or plastic mallet, put nut on end of bolt until it has to be removed. Spinning the bolt creates heat that will aid in bolt removal.
chuckie108
2/28/2017 1:59pm
Been going flat out, chassis is now done:
Frame is powder coated black.
All bearing and races replaced.
Swingarm is stripped and clear coated.
Tank I bought on eBay and restored. Graphics is the DIY set from EVO-MX.
New rear fender from XYZ.
New Tony D front fender for Petty.
Seat cover from EVO-MX.
Foam, front plate, and fork guards from DC.
Side plates are the originals I resorted. My backgrounds are on order.

Anyone know a good source for fork boots?

chuckie108
2/28/2017 2:07pm
I've done a ton of work to the suspension. Sliders are hard anodized. All new bushings and seals. The bike came with non-standard damper rods- they are 11" travel versions. Machined them for emulators/new springs. Hoping they work as good as everyone says.

chuckie108
2/28/2017 2:33pm
Did even more work on the shock: I stripped the body and repainted it. I left the heat sink bare to try and help cooling. New Race Tech seal head, bumper, Dual spring, and Goldvalve.

Pitched the stock lower rubber shock bushing.(really Yamaha?)Pressed in a new sealed spherical bearing. I had to machine all the bushings and spacers. Only did the lower because it sees all the rotational movement.

I upgraded the resi line from -4 to -5 (luckily I have a race car plumbing specialty outfit near buy who has 1/8 pipe to -5 fittings) and hard anodized the original White Bros remote resi. All new seals and o rings of course.

Frog #1
2/28/2017 3:11pm
Looks great! New gas tanks are available from Clarke, got one for my 1977!
BS261
3/1/2017 3:16am Edited Date/Time 3/1/2017 3:16am
Really nice work! Love the new rims and the decals on the fender are a nice touch. Where you happy with the quality of the rear fender? Ebay has a lot of choices for fork boots.
wfoyz250
3/1/2017 4:25am
chuckie108 wrote:
I've done a ton of work to the suspension. Sliders are hard anodized. All new bushings and seals. The bike came with non-standard damper rods- they...
I've done a ton of work to the suspension. Sliders are hard anodized. All new bushings and seals. The bike came with non-standard damper rods- they are 11" travel versions. Machined them for emulators/new springs. Hoping they work as good as everyone says.

As far as front emulators, I recommend the blue springs and drill two additional holes, 90d apart from the two already on the emuls. I was at DD's last year ad RACE tech rep. Mathew Wright. He helped setting mine up correctly. Another tip is fork oil capacity. Do not use the cc value from the service manual, instead use the instruction from RT.
For anyone else wanting to upgrade rear shock, I use an adjustable remote reservoir from a mid-80's CR250 mounted to the swingarm, along with braided brake line and fittings from race car supply store. Dual Spring setup too.
wfoyz250
3/1/2017 4:30am
Forgot to add that I also use 43mm front forks and triples from '80's yz250-465. Bolt right on and place the bars in center of top triple, as compared to stock '78-79 YZ.

Post a reply to: The next project '78 YZ400, making progress!

The Latest