Old School Tracks (USA) - Some gone and forgotten

Related:
Create New Tag

drmarkr

Vital MX member drmarkr
554 drmarkr http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/554/avatar/c50_554_47466dea29d02.jpg?1294177716 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/drmarkr,554/all 08/21/06 63 9 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/drmarkr,554/setup 204 2845 35 13

Posts: 3049

Joined: 8/21/2006

Location: Tucson, AZ USA

12/26/2008 8:46 AM

leathervisorguy wrote:

actually Cam, Chicken Licks and Punkin Center go back to early issues of MXA and were fictitious tracks in Pete Syzlagi's (sic) column, or maybe it was from "Bazzer's Box". if Mosier was ever referred to as Chicken Licks (I started racing there in 73'), it was only after someone ripped off the name from MXA.

CamP wrote:

I always thought that Mosier was Jody's inspiration for Chicken Licks.

Punkin Center is a one store town between Duncan and Lawton, Oklahoma. The name is pretty widely used in the manner Bazzer (I think...not Pete) used it. Jody swiped them.

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Mini Elsinore

Vital MX member Mini Elsinore
500 Mini Elsinore http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/500/avatar/c50_JEH_electro_1977_79_1459736185.jpg?1459735997 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/Mini-Elsinore,500/all 08/17/06 11 2 19 2062 204 14

Posts: 2081

Joined: 8/17/2006

Location: Huntington Beach, CA USA

12/26/2008 11:27 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/16/2016 9:39 PM

Tammy Kirk was quick, but those XR's were suspect in size. But....,then weren't all XR's by '76? Another fast female flat-tracker was Jon Kacinski's sister (can't remember her first name---maybe Julie?). Kacinski's cylinder was so thin, they were 'one race only.' I owned a J&B XR and old man Kacinski was always wanting to take a peek....swore he could do better. My Dad used to say, "put up your protest money and look away." He'd laugh and say, "why, we beat you!"

Rodney (?) Kerr flat-tracked a Champion framed YZ 80 in the AMA series. His old man owned a Yami shop in Arkansas, and all they did was flat-track----and did it well. Kid had coke-bottle lens eyeglasses which he didn't race in. That could explain his complete lack of fear for the wall.

"Show me a guy who's afraid to look bad, and I'll show you a guy you can beat every time."
-Lou Brock

jpracer1

Vital MX member jpracer1
808 jpracer1 /images/default/avatar/c50.png http://www.vitalmx.com/community/jpracer1,808/all 10/08/06 1 3 21

Posts: 24

Joined: 10/8/2006

Location: Visalia, CA USA

12/26/2008 4:39 PM

old cen cal tracks:Huron,madera lakes,mountain high,dunlap,lemoore
huron,madera lakes used to be part of the golden state races back in the late 70's early 80's,ams on sat ALL the pros on sunday,big names from all over the world,was a big series and a big deal

HORNETDRIVER

Vital MX member HORNETDRIVER
13359 HORNETDRIVER http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/13359/avatar/c50_114491510_1229538828.jpg?1294187849 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/HORNETDRIVER,13359/all 12/17/08 2 37 1

Posts: 39

Joined: 12/17/2008

Location: USA

12/27/2008 8:50 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/16/2016 9:39 PM

Mini Elsinore wrote:

Tammy Kirk was quick, but those XR's were suspect in size. But....,then weren't all XR's by '76? Another fast female flat-tracker was Jon Kacinski's sister (can't remember her first name---maybe Julie?). Kacinski's cylinder was so thin, they were 'one race only.' I owned a J&B XR and old man Kacinski was always wanting to take a peek....swore he could do better. My Dad used to say, "put up your protest money and look away." He'd laugh and say, "why, we beat you!"

Rodney (?) Kerr flat-tracked a Champion framed YZ 80 in the AMA series. His old man owned a Yami shop in Arkansas, and all they did was flat-track----and did it well. Kid had coke-bottle lens eyeglasses which he didn't race in. That could explain his complete lack of fear for the wall.


I raced against Tammy Kirk at an indoor ST in Montgomery, AL when we were both on SL-70s. She was fast in a straight line, but not so much in the corners. I agree with your assessment of her XRs as well. The only girl I ever saw that chewed tobacco. As Novice and Junior Dirt Track Pros, we never raced the same areas. She hung out in the FL / GA (Southeast) area and I was up in Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, etc...

I had J&B cams with Vulcan heads on my XR that was eventually stroked out to 103cc with a Powroll crank. That frickin' bike would thump! We laid the shocks down and I raced that bike in the 105cc classes (AMA and NMA) for a couple of years, and did pretty well until the mini-Elsinores showed up. I jonesed for a mini-elsey for a long, long time.

I remember the name Kerr from the Pittsburgh, KS AMA ST-National in '75, but can't recall his placement.

HORNETDRIVER

Lil reamer

Vital MX member Lil reamer
14420 Lil reamer http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/14420/avatar/c50_117854300_1236453339.jpg?1294189413 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/Lil-reamer,14420/all 03/06/09 6 10

Posts: 10

Joined: 3/6/2009

Location: Abilene, TX USA

3/17/2009 10:24 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/18/2009 11:06 PM

In the Dallas Ft worth Area missing are Lucky Landing and Rabbit Run I think Rabbit Run hosted a couple of Trans AM's at one time or another

PitRacer

Vital MX member PitRacer
3921 PitRacer http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/3921/avatar/c50_RM125Avatar.jpg?1299789289 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/PitRacer,3921/all 04/01/08 4 1 17 306 1

Posts: 323

Joined: 4/1/2008

Location: Valley City, OH USA

3/18/2009 3:38 PM

From the original post on Ohio:

The original track in Malvern, Oh was named Motosport Trails. It still operates today as Malvern MX, mostly running night races.

Smith Road Raceway still operates as well, running Wednesday night practice through the season. They also run 3 races a year. I live 3 miles away and ride there quite a bit.

A new track at Mid Ohio Sports Car Course opened up about 4 years ago as an AMA track. This was not the original location of the famed Mid Ohio course but was a nice venue to go to with all the facilities available. That track closed at the end of 2008 and is now part of history like the original venue.

imoto31

Vital MX member imoto31
14618 imoto31 http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/14618/avatar/c50_IMG_6271_1438634717.jpg?1438633722 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/imoto31,14618/all 03/22/09 4 56

Posts: 60

Joined: 3/22/2009

Location: Orangevale, CA USA

3/22/2009 5:25 PM

More old/forgotten nor-cal tracks.
Champion raceway in south s.f. a mx track built on a dump/landfill just off hwy 101.
Helvetia Park in west sac. Killer first turn with "big ass tree". Swimming pool water would turn to mud by days end.
Sears Point Raceway. Trans-ams and local races back in the day. Its Infineon Raceway today and held a one off mx last year.

JustPuttinAround

Vital MX member JustPuttinAround
14293 JustPuttinAround http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/14293/avatar/c50_Wheelie_King.jpg?1356920195 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/JustPuttinAround,14293/all 02/24/09 6 12 421

Posts: 433

Joined: 2/24/2009

Location: Saddle Bad Dunes, CA USA

3/22/2009 6:33 PM

More California Gone:

Lemon Grove--it was just down the road from the old Indian Dunes; only open for a couple of years in the late 90's...fun track built into a hillside

And who could forget Competition Park??? BOTH OF THEM! remember the Un-USGP that never happened?

BTW: Sunrise is still there in the exact location it used to be...it's called Racetown 395 now....

Wow...what a memory rush....Saddleback, 100's of races (I miss that place), Indian Dunes, 100's of races (I miss that place), Sunrise a bunch of races (I remember Andy Jefferson owning that place on his Huskys), DeAnza a few times--hated it and always got smoked by the locals....And....Westlake....Wow! I grew up in Westlake Village in the late 70's and early 80's and we used to just ride our bikes up in to the hills after school and practice on the old GP track....

If you don't crash once in a while, you're not going fast enough.

Sondy132001

Vital MX member Sondy132001
371 Sondy132001 http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/371/avatar/c50_spcolor.jpg?1316721886 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/Sondy132001,371/all 08/16/06 35 175 3905 10 12

Posts: 4080

Joined: 8/16/2006

Location: Mission Viejo, CA USA

3/24/2009 12:04 PM

What kills me the most is not one mention of CMC, those tracks in California especially Southern My dad built or ran those tracks !! No respect whatsoever.

S

Sondy132001

Vital MX member Sondy132001
371 Sondy132001 http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/371/avatar/c50_spcolor.jpg?1316721886 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/Sondy132001,371/all 08/16/06 35 175 3905 10 12

Posts: 4080

Joined: 8/16/2006

Location: Mission Viejo, CA USA

3/24/2009 12:05 PM

I'll post them again...

here ya go a list of all tracks my pops (Stu) had something to do with !

CMC Tracks
Albany MX Park, Albany, OR
Aloha Stadium SX, Oahu, Hawaii
Altamont Raceway Park, Tracy, CA
Anaheim Stadium Amateur SX, Anaheim, CA
Arco Arenacross, Sacramento, CA
Arizona Cycle Park, Buckeye, AZ
Arroyo Cycle Park, Devore, CA aka Glen Helen Raceway
Ascot Park, Gardena, CA
AV Motoplex, Lancaster, CA
Badlands, Victorville, CA
Barona Oaks MX Park, Ramona, CA
Bay Mare, Simi Valley, CA
Baylands MX Park, San Jose, CA
Bishop MX, Bishop, CA (Dave McCoy owned the land)
Blythe Raceway, Blythe, CA
Butterfield Park, Temecula, CA
Cahuilla Creek MX Park, Anza, CA
Cal-Expo Arenacross, Sacramento, CA
Calgary Saddledome, Calgary, Canada (very 1st event there)
Canyon Raceway, Peoria, AZ
Carlsbad Raceway, Carlsbad, CA
Carnegie Cycle Park, Tracy, CA
Casa Grande MX Park, Casa Grande, AZ
Castaic Lake, Castaic, CA
Chico Fairgrounds, Chico, CA
Chowchilla Fairgrounds, Chowchilla, CA
Clarksbranch MX Park, Clarksbranch, OR
Claude Osteen's M/C Park, Pomona, CA
Clovis Lakes MX Park, Fresno, CA
Club Moto MX Park, Livermore, CA
Competition Park I, San Jacinto, CA
Competition Park II, San Jacinto, CA
Competitive Edge, Victorville, CA
Cornell MX Park, Cornell, ID
Cottonwood Raceway, Cottonwood, AZ
Cycle Haven, Terminal Island, San Pedro, CA
Cycleland Speedway, Chico, CA
DeAnza Cycle Park, Moreno Valley, CA
Desert Empire Fairgrounds, Ridgecrest, CA
Dixon Cycle Park, Dixon, CA aka Argyll MX Park
Dunlap Cycle Park, Madera, CA
E Street Bridge, Marysville, CA
Edmonton Stadium, Edmonton, Canada (met Wayne Gretzky there)
El Toro Speedway, El Toro, CA
Ellensburg Fairgrounds, Ellensburg, WA
Elsinore Cycle Park, Lake Elsinore, CA
Elsinore Raceway, Lake Elsinore, CA
Escape Country, Coto De Caza, CA
Evergreen State Fairgrounds, Monroe, WA
Evil Knievel Snake River Canyon MX, Idaho
Fairbanks MX, Fairbanks, Alaska
Fernley MX Park, Fernley, NV
Firebird Raceway, Phoenix, AZ
Fontana Drag Strip, Fontana, CA
Fort Ord MX Park, Seaside, CA (Army Base)
Fox Hollow, Woodburn, WA
Fremont Raceway, Fremont, CA
Golden State Bishop Fairgrounds, Bishop, CA
Goose Hollow, Portland, OR
Grays Harbor County OHV, WA
Hannigan Speedway/MX Park, Bellingham, WA
Helvetia M/C Park, Sacramento, CA
Hollister Hills OHV, Hollister, CA
Honey Lake MX Park, Milford, CA
Horn Rapids OHV, Richland, WA
Hungry Valley, Quail Canyon, Gorman, CA
Huron Cycle Park, Huron, CA
Indian Dunes, Valencia, CA
Irwindale Raceway, Irwindale, CA
Jolly Roger, Seattle M/c Club, Kent, WA
LA County Raceway, Palmdale, CA
La Grange OHV Park, La Grange, CA
Laguna Seca OHV Park, Monterey, CA
Lake Elsinore MX Park, Lake Elsinore, CA
Lake Madera, Madera, CA
LD Ranch, Utah
Lemoore MX Park, Lemoore, CA (Air force Base)
Little Okie, Madera, CA
Longview MX Park, Longview, WA
Los Angeles Coliseum SX Amateur SX, Los Angeles, CA
Lyons Drag Strip MX, Wilmington, CA
Madera Fairgrounds, Madera, CA
Madera Fairgrounds, Madera, CA
Madras MX Park, Madras, OR
Martinique Island MX C’ship (Rodney Smith/Todd Campbell)
McMinnville MX Park, McMinnville, OR
Milestone Ranch MX Park, Riverside, CA
Monroe Arenacross, Monroe, WA
Moto One, Redding, CA (1st Pac-West National held here)
Mountain High MX Park, Fresno Foothills
Mountain View MX Park, Sandy, OR
Ontario Motor Speedway, Ontario, CA
Orange County International Raceway, El Toro, CA
Orangeshow Fairgrounds, San Bernardino, CA
Perris Raceway, Perris, CA
Petaluma Speedway, Petaluma, CA
Phoenix International Raceway, Phoenix, AZ
Piru MX Park, Piru, CA aka MaxTrack
Port Angeles OHV Park, Port Angeles, WA
Porterville Sprockets Park, Porterville, CA
Portland International Raceway Park, WA
Providence Arenacross, Providence Arena, Rhode Island
Puyallup International Raceway, Puyallup, WA
Rainbow MX Park #1, Pala, CA
Rawhide Cycle Park, Canyon Lake, CA
Red Bud Track N Trail, Buchanan, MI
Reef Ridge, Coalinga, CA (temp track for GSN when Huron flooded)
Reno Livestock Event, Reno, NV
RenoCross, Reno, NV
Rialto Cycle Park, Rialto, CA
Ridgecrest Speedway, Ridgecrest, CA
Riverfront Park, Marysville, CA
Roseburg MX Park, Roseburg, OR
Sacramento OHV Park, Sacramento, CA aka Hangtown/Prairie City
Sacramento Raceway, Sacramento, CA
Saddleback Park II, Orange, CA
Saddleback Park, Orange, CA
Salem Arenacross Park, Salem, OR
San Diego SX Qualcomm Stadium, San Diego, CA (Pro Event with Mike Goodwin)
San Jose Fairgrounds SX, San Jose, CA (Pro Event with Mike Goodwin)
Sand Hill Ranch, Brentwood, CA
Sea Breeze MX Park, San Clemente
Sears Point, Sonoma, CA
Seattle International Raceway Park, Kent, WA
Silver State Raceway, Carson City, NV
Sky River MX Park, Monroe, WA
South Bay Speedway, Otay Mesa, CA aka Speedway 117
Spillway Park, Santa Maria, CA
Spokane Raceway Park, Spokane, WA
Starwest MX Park, Perris, CA
Sunrise Valley Cycle, Adelanto, CA aka Racetown 395 MX Park
Sunshine Cycle Park, Tucson, AZ
Tacoma Dome, Tacoma, WA
Temecula MX Track, Temecula, CA
Thrasherland Raceway, Phoenix, AZ
Thunderhill Park, Willows, CA
Thurston County OHV Park, WA
Trulson MX Park, Ethel, WA aka Burnt Ridge MX Park
Tucson Raceway, Tucson, AZ
Tulare Cycle Park, Tulare, CA
Wardcreek Raceway, Raymond, WA
Washougal Raceway, Camas, WA
Watsonville MX Park, Watsonville, CA
Web Hill Raceway, Shelton, WA
Woodburn Raceway, Woodburn, WA
Woodland MX Park, Woodland, WA

ninety3

Vital MX member ninety3
354 ninety3 http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/354/avatar/c50_ninety3.jpg?1362260790 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/ninety3,354/all 08/16/06 8 14 2 61 1042 15

Posts: 1103

Joined: 8/16/2006

Location: Saddleback Park, CA USA

3/25/2009 12:59 PM

38
That's how many of those tracks I've been to.

Nice list Sondy, a few repeats though.

I like knobby tires

Sondy132001

Vital MX member Sondy132001
371 Sondy132001 http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/371/avatar/c50_spcolor.jpg?1316721886 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/Sondy132001,371/all 08/16/06 35 175 3905 10 12

Posts: 4080

Joined: 8/16/2006

Location: Mission Viejo, CA USA

3/26/2009 2:14 PM

ninety3 wrote:

38
That's how many of those tracks I've been to.

Nice list Sondy, a few repeats though.

few ?? I see one...what others did I repeat ? I see Madera twice...Thanks for the input.

S

Dad Dunes

Vital MX member Dad Dunes
13456 Dad Dunes http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/13456/avatar/c50_112937510_1230324937.jpg?1294188005 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/Dad-Dunes,13456/all 12/26/08 4 6 2 22 1

Posts: 24

Joined: 12/26/2008

Location: Vancouver, WA USA

3/26/2009 10:58 PM

ninety3 wrote:

38
That's how many of those tracks I've been to.

Nice list Sondy, a few repeats though.

Sondy132001 wrote:

few ?? I see one...what others did I repeat ? I see Madera twice...Thanks for the input.

S

Sandy I will mention your dad and CMC.. Supper Guy and first class Club..Stu really knew now to put on a race. We At the Dunes were proud to host The Golden State races every year ,Top promotion that attracted top Riders..Stu really cared...
My Best and say HI for Me..
Gary

DT

Vital MX member DT
17311 DT /images/default/avatar/c50.png http://www.vitalmx.com/community/DT,17311/all 10/07/09 3

Posts: 3

Joined: 10/7/2009

Location: Phoenix, AZ USA

10/8/2009 2:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/17/2016 2:38 AM

AZ35 wrote:

I guess I will start an AZ section, but I did get the honor of racing at Indian Dunes and Sunrise MX (Victorville) in the mid-80's. Also went to (15 year old dork spectator) the 1984 Saddleback National, looking through those old pictures brings back many memories.

In Arizona, Canyon Raceway keeps fading in and out of existence, right now it is closed but people keep trying to bring her back. Canyon Raceway has hosted events since the late 1970's (including most of the big name riders for those times). I have old school 8mm video (no sound) of Johnny O' and Lechien battling on works RC250's in 1985 (last year of those amazing machines). Just recently had that old 8mm tape transferred to DVD format, pretty cool to see something 23 years later and it feeling like yesterday.

Deer Valley Cycle Park- Oh to own race in the flight path of a regional airport. Hard as a rock, but another one that had much potential through the 80's. Later memory is in the mid 90's (long after it closed) and seeing someone really hauling ass.... The Chesterfield Jersey gave it away. It was Bobby Moore out practicing before returning to Europe to defend his world championship.

Firebird MX- Site of Firebird Lake (Boat Drags, NHRA Drags)- another one that closed and opened a few times- now open again. I need to try it out.

Mayer- Mid 80's track, great track when they had a grader. Ran races for most of the 80's, with 1-2 year gaps in between. Today the track location is still pretty much the same, more houses around but still a pretty rural area (it is about 60 miles north of PHX, and 20 miles East of Prescott).

Tucson- Only raced here twice (1984 and 1987), nice track from what I recall.

Blythe- OK, Blythe is in California, but on the AZ border. This track was located on the outside of town. Held races from about '83 until at least '88, maybe longer. But not very often. That Motel 6 had a lot of action from us teenage MX kids, it was always the happening place during race weekends (oh to be 16 again...).

Speedworld is still around (since the mid 90's), Cottonwood has a track that was decent (closed now, but still potential re-open).

I should go to bed now, my employees will give me too much shit if I am late to work.




That's like a page out of my History. I raced all those tracks from 81 - 85 and was racing that day when Johnny O' and Lechien were at it. I remember getting busted by the cops in Blythe doing wheelies in my moped heading back to motel 6 after eating pizza. Cost my dad $180 to get me out of that one. Killer times! Canyon Raceway was always my favorite track.



-Dave Townsend


justme

Vital MX member justme
279 justme http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/279/avatar/c50_536569_458096847549087_1014413646_n.jpg?1357737840 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/justme,279/all 08/15/06 1 61

Posts: 61

Joined: 8/15/2006

Location: Southern Texas, TX USA

10/11/2009 2:34 PM

AZ35 wrote:

I guess I will start an AZ section, but I did get the honor of racing at Indian Dunes and Sunrise MX (Victorville) in the mid-80's. Also went to (15 year old dork spectator) the 1984 Saddleback National, looking through those old pictures brings back many memories.

In Arizona, Canyon Raceway keeps fading in and out of existence, right now it is closed but people keep trying to bring her back. Canyon Raceway has hosted events since the late 1970's (including most of the big name riders for those times). I have old school 8mm video (no sound) of Johnny O' and Lechien battling on works RC250's in 1985 (last year of those amazing machines). Just recently had that old 8mm tape transferred to DVD format, pretty cool to see something 23 years later and it feeling like yesterday.

Deer Valley Cycle Park- Oh to own race in the flight path of a regional airport. Hard as a rock, but another one that had much potential through the 80's. Later memory is in the mid 90's (long after it closed) and seeing someone really hauling ass.... The Chesterfield Jersey gave it away. It was Bobby Moore out practicing before returning to Europe to defend his world championship.

Firebird MX- Site of Firebird Lake (Boat Drags, NHRA Drags)- another one that closed and opened a few times- now open again. I need to try it out.

Mayer- Mid 80's track, great track when they had a grader. Ran races for most of the 80's, with 1-2 year gaps in between. Today the track location is still pretty much the same, more houses around but still a pretty rural area (it is about 60 miles north of PHX, and 20 miles East of Prescott).

Tucson- Only raced here twice (1984 and 1987), nice track from what I recall.

Blythe- OK, Blythe is in California, but on the AZ border. This track was located on the outside of town. Held races from about '83 until at least '88, maybe longer. But not very often. That Motel 6 had a lot of action from us teenage MX kids, it was always the happening place during race weekends (oh to be 16 again...).

Speedworld is still around (since the mid 90's), Cottonwood has a track that was decent (closed now, but still potential re-open).

I should go to bed now, my employees will give me too much shit if I am late to work.

DT wrote:


That's like a page out of my History. I raced all those tracks from 81 - 85 and was racing that day when Johnny O' and Lechien were at it. I remember getting busted by the cops in Blythe doing wheelies in my moped heading back to motel 6 after eating pizza. Cost my dad $180 to get me out of that one. Killer times! Canyon Raceway was always my favorite track.



-Dave Townsend


Remember racing at;
Canyon: I believe is where I seen my first side hack mx race
Deer valley: at the time thought it was a good sized mx track.
Tucson
all in mid 80"s

It is very dangerous to be vocally right when your Government is dead wrong.

steve_o_de

Vital MX member steve_o_de
16908 steve_o_de http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/16908/avatar/c50_92684230_1252448450.jpg?1294192757 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/steve-o-de,16908/all 09/08/09 10 1 62 1

Posts: 63

Joined: 9/8/2009

Location: Chesterfield Twp., MI USA

10/12/2009 4:13 PM

Midway MX - Mitchel, Indiana -?
Corydon Indiana - Name of track ?
Chandler Raceway Park - Chandler, Indiana
Brown City MX (Flying Horsemen) - Brown City ,Mi.
Mount Clemens MX - Mount Clemens, Mi.
Mustang Acres MX (Iron Mustangs) - Brighton, Mi.

Fiberglassflyer

Vital MX member Fiberglassflyer
15417 Fiberglassflyer http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/15417/avatar/c50_78MaicoMC400.jpg?1326954323 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/Fiberglassflyer,15417/all 05/27/09 1 24 318 1 2

Posts: 342

Joined: 5/27/2009

Location: OR, USA

10/12/2009 6:28 PM

A couple more Oregon tracks.Dover MX Park and Grande Ronde(sp?).

loftyair

Vital MX member loftyair
15882 loftyair http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/15882/avatar/c50_109192760_1246654999.jpg?1294191424 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/loftyair,15882/all 07/03/09 1 44 1289 179

Posts: 1333

Joined: 7/3/2009

Location: riverside, CA USA

10/12/2009 7:10 PM

Was River Mx mentioned. Actually in Ca, other side of river from Parker AZ. I think it's closed now, but was running this past spring with races and practice. Track in Lake Havasu, runs WORCS, otherwise not used. 2 tracks in kingman az, 1 has awesome BMX track, but moto was never finished. Other track operates occasionally, 14 miles north on Stockton Hill.

Looped Out

Vital MX member Looped Out
15950 Looped Out http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/15950/avatar/c50_99573760_1259467380.jpg?1294191490 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/Looped-Out,15950/all 07/08/09 42 236

Posts: 278

Joined: 7/8/2009

Location: Murrieta, CA USA

10/13/2009 12:03 AM

Bill163 wrote:

Another forgotten so cal track..Rosemead track it was on Rosemead blvd north of the 60 freeway and just down the street from Crown Yamaha next to a concrete canal.You could ride bikes up to 250's it had tight corners high berm's and it had a built-in sprinkler system.

I rode there too. My Dad spent a lot of time and money at Crown Yamaha. Sue Fish rode for that shop and we lived in Alhambra. It was a blast, but everywhere was fun to ride back then, because I just loved to ride my motorcycle.

project racer

Vital MX member project racer
629 project racer http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/629/avatar/c50_chappelle_02_0205_act2_1472771519.jpg?1472770775 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/project-racer,629/all 08/26/06 12 91 3575 1 13

Posts: 3666

Joined: 8/26/2006

Location: FL, USA

10/13/2009 1:20 AM

twmotox wrote:

Just a few Florida tracks that I can remember: Diamondback in Cocoa(sandiest most whooped track I have ever seen and Bob Hannah could fly on it, Sunshine Speedway in St petersburg(Kenny Keylon became one of the only privateers to ever win a national in I think 1982) Orlando Sports Stadium(another sand track) Chicken Farm in Homasassa( If I remember correctly it hosted some of the orignial Mini Olympics when it included 4 different disciplnes and Kenny Keylon and Carl Jordan used to fly there and finally there was Golden Eagles Raceway in Tampa( Glenn "Killer" Lofley was the hotshoe as was Randy Yoho of Dade City Raceway fame) That's about all my memory can take for one day.

The first Mini Olympics were held in Jacksonville at the old North Florida raceway in Palm Valley, Florida (Ponte Vedra). It was 1973 . Unlike Chicken Farm,when you had to load up and drive to Ocala Speedway for the Short track and TT portions of the event, North Florida had it's own short track in the infield of the MX track. And miles of acreage for the Hare Scramble.

Croom motocross was another oldie in Florida. Also Apollo Beach MX where the track ran right next to the water front in places. I rode many a lap at Golden Eagles as I stiill live in the same place about 3 miles away from where it once stood.

Glenn Lofley was fast, but had a real bunch of "rednecks" that he brought to the races. Like his body guards or something. His dad and that 400 pound Eugene Pippin were always in confrontation with someone. I was there one nite at Eagles in '78, and after the races another kid's dad did not like how Glenn had roughed his kid up on the track.

Glenn Sr. , Pippin and a couple of others nearly beat the the guy to death over it. Biggest bunch of pussy's I had seen. Four, over 6 foot ,200 plus pound guys taking turns on a guy about 5' 9" , 160 pounds. THE DEFINITION OF PLANT CITY REDNECKS.

DJ KC

Vital MX member DJ KC
2129 DJ KC http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/2129/avatar/c50_DJ_K_Mix_1379958647.jpg?1379958295 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/DJ-KC,2129/all 09/14/07 4 15 846 2

Posts: 861

Joined: 9/14/2007

Location: Germantown, MD USA

10/16/2009 5:10 PM

twmotox wrote:

Just a few Florida tracks that I can remember: Diamondback in Cocoa(sandiest most whooped track I have ever seen and Bob Hannah could fly on it, Sunshine Speedway in St petersburg(Kenny Keylon became one of the only privateers to ever win a national in I think 1982) Orlando Sports Stadium(another sand track) Chicken Farm in Homasassa( If I remember correctly it hosted some of the orignial Mini Olympics when it included 4 different disciplnes and Kenny Keylon and Carl Jordan used to fly there and finally there was Golden Eagles Raceway in Tampa( Glenn "Killer" Lofley was the hotshoe as was Randy Yoho of Dade City Raceway fame) That's about all my memory can take for one day.

Add to the Florida tracks, North Florida Speedway just south of Jacksonville, that use to host the Mini-O's when they first started. Action Park, North Jacksonville, not to far from JIA on Pecan Park Road. There was a track in Tallahassee and I can't remember the name now.

liuhan6631

Vital MX member liuhan6631
17435 liuhan6631 /images/default/avatar/c50.png http://www.vitalmx.com/community/liuhan6631,17435/all 10/16/09 2

Posts: 2

Joined: 10/16/2009

Location: USA

10/16/2009 7:03 PM

hi

welcome to my webdite , here you can find your favourite nike products !

http://www.trade9shoes.com

7I3N

Vital MX member 7I3N
17487 7I3N http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/17487/avatar/c50_PICT0002_0001.jpg?1317003446 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/7I3N,17487/all 10/22/09 1 28 1316

Posts: 1344

Joined: 10/22/2009

Location: Moto Paradise, UT USA

10/22/2009 8:08 PM

JustPuttinAround wrote:

More California Gone:

Lemon Grove--it was just down the road from the old Indian Dunes; only open for a couple of years in the late 90's...fun track built into a hillside

And who could forget Competition Park??? BOTH OF THEM! remember the Un-USGP that never happened?

BTW: Sunrise is still there in the exact location it used to be...it's called Racetown 395 now....

Wow...what a memory rush....Saddleback, 100's of races (I miss that place), Indian Dunes, 100's of races (I miss that place), Sunrise a bunch of races (I remember Andy Jefferson owning that place on his Huskys), DeAnza a few times--hated it and always got smoked by the locals....And....Westlake....Wow! I grew up in Westlake Village in the late 70's and early 80's and we used to just ride our bikes up in to the hills after school and practice on the old GP track....

Lemon Grove was resurrected a few years after it closed. It’s called Piru Motocross Park now. http://www.pirumx.com/

oldmxracer

Vital MX member oldmxracer
15831 oldmxracer /images/default/avatar/c50.png http://www.vitalmx.com/community/oldmxracer,15831/all 06/29/09 4 16

Posts: 20

Joined: 6/29/2009

Location: Benton, IL USA

10/23/2009 5:23 PM

How about Southern Illinois?

King City Dirt Riders- Mt. Vernon-still open
Woodlawn-gone
Carterville-long gone
Sparta- gone
Fairfield- gone
Metropolis- gone
Lincoln Trail (Casey)- Still rockin'
Keithsburg-gone?
Lawrenceville-gone?

bowers 1/2

Vital MX member bowers 1/2
17527 bowers 1/2 /images/default/avatar/c50.png http://www.vitalmx.com/community/bowers-1-2,17527/all 10/26/09 5

Posts: 5

Joined: 10/26/2009

Location: Tifton, GA USA

10/28/2009 8:01 AM

OK, so we're talking old school! How 'bout Double S or Double SS in Tifton Ga or the track Bob Bell started in Cairo Ga or Lyons Ga. or the track at Holiday Beach in Douglas Ga....damn great memories!! Wish i could remember all the tracks i rode. If anyone has pics let me know please!!!! Oh yeah, get this one "Chula Raceway in Chula Ga??????????????

ChrisMackay

Vital MX member ChrisMackay
13585 ChrisMackay http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/13585/avatar/c50_95151900_1260122976.jpg?1294188173 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/ChrisMackay,13585/all 01/04/09 2 5 29 3 64 2 3 1

Posts: 67

Joined: 1/4/2009

Location: Camarillo, CA USA

12/6/2009 10:07 AM

Slow ~ Pro wrote:

Russ Wageman became a pretty good Speedway racer in the late 90s

UpTiTe wrote:

The magazine test rider right? Rode Cagivas in 83.

Slow ~ Pro wrote:

I don't know that he was a Cagiva rider...I met him while racing Speedway.


He used to run a Pit Pro service in the pits during races...I saw him a few months ago. I think he has a son racing now, but I can't be sure of what he is up to these days.

But to pass him, (or trying) I would guess you were hauling ass !

Mike, During my years racing at Ascot, Russ Wageman won pretty consistantly almost every week in the 125 and 250 pro class. He beat all the top pros of the day at Ascot!
I was doing well in the 125 and 500 junior class. I miss it a lot. CMC was like a big family.

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and
Don't worry, be happy. (It'll really piss off all the miserable jerks)

Bobbles

Vital MX member Bobbles
17620 Bobbles http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/17620/avatar/c50_137129310_1279166181.jpg?1294193712 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/Bobbles,17620/all 11/01/09 2 2 193

Posts: 195

Joined: 11/1/2009

Location: Scottsdale, AZ USA

12/6/2009 8:01 PM

I've seen Malvern MX (Motosport Trails) mentioned several times here. For you real Old School folks, you might remember a track down the road about a mile from there called Valley View MX. I actually liked that track better and it was used mostly for Saturday night races. I attended a Tony D school there in '83 right before it closed.

Old Kaw

Vital MX member Old Kaw
18080 Old Kaw http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/18080/avatar/c50_95006240_1260208492.jpg?1294194486 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/Old-Kaw,18080/all 12/07/09 3

Posts: 3

Joined: 12/7/2009

Location: Cuyahoga Falls, OH USA

12/7/2009 10:13 AM

Bobbles wrote:

I've seen Malvern MX (Motosport Trails) mentioned several times here. For you real Old School folks, you might remember a track down the road about a mile from there called Valley View MX. I actually liked that track better and it was used mostly for Saturday night races. I attended a Tony D school there in '83 right before it closed.

Are you talking Malvern, Ohio? There was a track around the corner from there that used to hold night races and practice on Wednesday nights but didn't last long. I lived in Malvern for 7 years and could never find a trace of it, I thought maybe I dreamed it up.
Anybody remember Mathis Raceway in New Philly?

Bobbles

Vital MX member Bobbles
17620 Bobbles http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/17620/avatar/c50_137129310_1279166181.jpg?1294193712 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/Bobbles,17620/all 11/01/09 2 2 193

Posts: 195

Joined: 11/1/2009

Location: Scottsdale, AZ USA

12/7/2009 10:40 AM

Yes, Malvern Ohio. The track around the corner you are referring to was Valley View MX. They held night races there. Mathias Raceway was my first race back in 1982. They held flat track races every Friday night and eventually held some harescrambles. You can still see that old barn and remnants of the flat track off I-77.

oldschoolmxr203

Vital MX member oldschoolmxr203
17995 oldschoolmxr203 http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/17995/avatar/c50_95089310_1260478019.jpg?1294194343 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/oldschoolmxr203,17995/all 12/01/09 7 22 13 2013 28

Posts: 2026

Joined: 12/1/2009

Location: Columbus, GA USA

12/7/2009 12:17 PM

there used to be a track about 5 miles east of bradenton,fla i always called it bradenton mx dunno the real name but it was behind desoto memorial drag strip, i always liked that track even tho i broke my collerbone there, i rememeber they had a rubber band startand it was a sand track with a few decent jumps, i didnt see it among all the other tracks mentioned so i thought i would throw it out there.